Menu

Would you expect an airlines to compensate you for this?

J-rap

Here is our situation.  Several months earlier, I bought air tickets for an air flight that didn't allow seat reservations unless you paid extra ahead of time.  Which I did.  It was three of us -- my husband, daughter, and I.  I booked the flight early and made sure to pay for and reserve our seats together because my husband is handicapped and needs our help.  His disability is very obvious. 

When we checked in, our seats were together, but as we were actually boarding the plane, the woman told us our seats had to be changed last minute due to some kink in the system.  (?  Whatever that means.)  I explained that we needed to be together, that I had paid for this, and that clearly my husband would need our help.  Well, the plane was already late and this woman was obviously not wanting to take the time to deal with it.  She told us to just please board the plane and the stewards would fix it.

After getting on the plane, I explained the situation to the steward, and he asked that we sit down in our new assigned seats, assuring us that once everyone was seated, he would changes things around so we could be together.

That didn't happen.  Within minutes after everyone was seated, the plane was moving.  (Again, it was late, everyone was hurrying, they were trying to move fast with everything.)

It was a long, overnight flight, and I had to get up several times to help my husband (the three of us were scattered throughout the plane).  I felt badly that my husband didn't have the help that would have made his flight more comfortable.  My daughter was actually in the original assigned seat, and the two people who took our seats were two college-aged girls who hadn't even had a seat reservation.  (They were just assigned them at the gate.)

I wrote the airlines, and told them I expected some kind of a flight reimbursement.  In all honesty, I would never have flown on that airlines unless I knew we could sit together. 

The airlines got back to me and said they would refund our seat reservation fee.  ($10 each.)  Well, that wasn't exactly what I had in mind!  I emailed them back and told them I expected more compensation than that, explained the situation again, etc.  They were adamant that they had done nothing against regulations, and that we should have personally called the airlines ahead of time and told them that our seats couldn't be separated.

That just seems so dumb!  I feel mad about this, and would like to fight it (talk to a superior?).  But maybe I'd just be wasting my time. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you ask the people who ended up sitting next to your husband whether they would trade with you, and they refused?

We found that asking other passengers to switch was usually the best course of action (we got seated separately from little kids before)

I would complain to the airline, but not expect a compensation beyond the refund of the seat reservation fee.

Well they did reimburse you for the extra you paid to get seat reservations.  I'm not sure you can insist on more although I don't blame you for trying.

I've flown a lot over the years and nowhere else do I pay so much money to have such craptastic service.  Most of my flights were fine, but I have definitely encountered lousy service.  Once we missed a connecting flight because the first flight was delayed because they were trying to fix their entertainment system.  We had about 15 minutes in between to get to the other side of a very large airport and go through all the check in procedures (and we had 2 little kids with us).  We tried.  We ran as fast as anyone can run with 2 little kids.  Of course we didn't make it.  So we went to the counter to explain the situation and the woman asked us why we didn't run.  No joke.  She was lucky I was half asleep and had no energy to choke her.  What an incredibly obnoxious idiot.  Well anyway they worked it out, but yeah....

Did you ask the people who ended up sitting next to your husband whether they would trade with you, and they refused?

We found that asking other passengers to switch was usually the best course of action (we got seated separately from little kids before)

I would complain to the airline, but not expect a compensation beyond the refund of the seat reservation fee.

We didn't.  It all happened so fast.  Once the plane was moving, it would have been too difficult for my husband to change seats.

We didn't.  It all happened so fast.  Once the plane was moving, it would have been too difficult for my husband to change seats.

No, I am talking about the people who sat next you your HUSBAND. They could have easily traded with you.

If you did not at least ask them I don't think you have any ammunition against the airline, because they will probably suggest that you should have simply done that - and that you could have asked a flight attendant to talk to them in case the people refused.

Well they did reimburse you for the extra you paid to get seat reservations.  I'm not sure you can insist on more although I don't blame you for trying.

I've flown a lot over the years and nowhere else do I pay so much money to have such craptastic service.  Most of my flights were fine, but I have definitely encountered lousy service.  Once we missed a connecting flight because the first flight was delayed because they were trying to fix their entertainment system.  We had about 15 minutes in between to get to the other side of a very large airport and go through all the check in procedures (and we had 2 little kids with us).  We tried.  We ran as fast as anyone can run with 2 little kids.  Of course we didn't make it.  So we went to the counter to explain the situation and the woman asked us why we didn't run.  No joke.  She was lucky I was half asleep and had no energy to choke her.  What an incredibly obnoxious idiot.  Well anyway they worked it out, but yeah....

How frustrating!  Sadly, airline service has become more like riding a public bus these days, except far more expensive!

That is horrible.  I think I would have insisted that we move as soon as we were in the air.  

Recently I flew SW air and paid extra for A boarding.  I was with my son.

When we boarded (with the A boarding), there were so many people saving seats for their C boarding friends and family that we couldn't sit together anyway.  I was so angry.  I actually spoke to a college age kid and told him we needed to sit together and he was SO RUDE and told me to go find another seat because he was saving seats for his friends.

I went to the stewardess TWICE and they did nothing.

THANKFULLY, I had put our names in to give up our seats for vouchers and we were called off the plane before it took off anyway, but I did write to Southwest and was told that they have no official policy on seat saving and it is perfectly FINE.   I just don't get it.....why have the option to pay extra to board early if it does no good.

If I were in your shoes, I would re-write the airlines and tell them that you DID inform them that you needed to sit together and that they are the ones who gave your seats away.

Dawn

No, I am talking about the people who sat next you your HUSBAND. They could have easily traded with you.

If you did not at least ask them I don't think you have any ammunition against the airline, because they will probably suggest that you should have simply done that - and that you could have asked a flight attendant to talk to them in case the people refused.

I know I could have tried this, but didn't.  It was actually an older couple sitting together, and I felt badly about asking them to split apart.

How frustrating!  Sadly, airline service has become more like riding a public bus these days, except far more expensive!

I sometimes ride the public bus around here and their service is way better than some of the airlines!

There are some airlines I avoid altogether because they are that bad.  Iberia is one of them.  They suck.  I wouldn't recommend them to my enemy.  Luftunsa isn't that good either. 

Iberia had our infant son sitting by himself.  No joke.  There were a bunch of people on that flight who were pissed off about the seating arrangements and almost broke out into a fight over it.  We did manage to ask others to switch. 

No, I would not pursue it any further.

What are you expecting the airline to do to compensate you?

I don't know, maybe a $100 voucher for our next flight with them or something along those lines?  :)  Or one free ticket? 

Iberia had our infant son sitting by himself.  No joke.  There were a bunch of people on that flight who were pissed off about the seating arrangements and almost broke out into a fight over it.  We did manage to ask others to switch. 

That is absolutely crazy!

I would be pursuing it further up the chain - finding the name of the president/CEO of the company, etc and offering to put my experience on travel sites, etc, but I'd remain firm + polite about it - stating what, exactly, you would like out of the deal.

The squeaky wheel can get the grease sometimes - and if not - you have more to add to your experience that you post for all to read.  You have nothing to lose except time.

What you experienced would annoy me considerably and it can take an awful lot to annoy me with travel.

I would have felt uncomfortable approaching other passengers, lest it comes off as 'It's okay for me to inconvenience you as long as I get what I want'. I totally get that your dh has a visible disability and many people would be willing to accommodate you. But there are always a few who will get snippy with "I paid to sit here" and I am introverted enough to let that kind of thing upset me.  Being fussed at in public is not high only list of things I enjoy. 

I think it was the duty of the flight crew.  

I never flew an airline that had open seating like some of you are describing. I would HATE that. It's like trying to find a seat in the lunchroom as the new kid in high school.  Plane tickets are expensive enough- and the seats are already too small. Geez, why add seating issues to an already unpleasant experience??? Airlines, get with the program and fix this nonsense. 

That is absolutely crazy!

Yes...it really was.  Usually on a return international flight there is no way to choose seats ahead of time for some reason.  Despite that, every single time we've managed to be able to sit together.  There was some shuffling on that flight because some guy had a broken leg and needed more leg room.  So that was just an entire chain reaction of seating issues and the airline staff were completely inept at dealing with it. 

Three younger guys were more than willing to switch with us because they ended up next to a woman with a baby and didn't want anything to do with that.  So we ended up getting the nice big seats with a baby bed.  But that woman turned out to be crazy.  So it was probably the worst flight I ever had.  LOL  And the airline staff would come over if our baby cried and they'd ask in this really rude way if we were having problems.  Yes lady the problem is called, "infants cry sometimes". 

Well hey at least now I have a bunch of stories to tell and I can laugh about it. 

That is horrible. I think I would have insisted that we move as soon as we were in the air.

Recently I flew SW air and paid extra for A boarding. I was with my son.

When we boarded (with the A boarding), there were so many people saving seats for their C boarding friends and family that we couldn't sit together anyway. I was so angry. I actually spoke to a college age kid and told him we needed to sit together and he was SO RUDE and told me to go find another seat because he was saving seats for his friends.

I went to the stewardess TWICE and they did nothing.

THANKFULLY, I had put our names in to give up our seats for vouchers and we were called off the plane before it took off anyway, but I did write to Southwest and was told that they have no official policy on seat saving and it is perfectly FINE. I just don't get it.....why have the option to pay extra to board early if it does no good.

If I were in your shoes, I would re-write the airlines and tell them that you DID inform them that you needed to sit together and that they are the ones who gave your seats away.

Dawn

How old is your son? I always fly SW and they board families with children before A people.

Yes, I think that you should pursue this.  It should not have been so difficult to find two seats together for you and your husband.  But, good luck with that!

I agree.

When you chose that airline, you chose it because you had the ability to get reservations for seats together.   That was the service you were paying for.  When they seated you separately, they took away from you more than the simple $10 reservation fee.   They took away the ability to sit next to your husband, without which you would not have made the reservation at all.

ETA:  This is the kind of thing I'd try to get one of those  consumer reporters to follow up on, if you have such a feature at your local newspaper or news website.  It is something that other consumers would want to be aware of.

I never flew an airline that had open seating like some of you are describing. I would HATE that. It's like trying to find a seat in the lunchroom as the new kid in high school.  Plane tickets are expensive enough- and the seats are already too small. Geez, why add seating issues to an already unpleasant experience??? Airlines, get with the program and fix this nonsense. 

I love Southwest's boarding system.  We always pay for the A group and have never had problems finding seats we like - even on totally full planes (which most are).  I've been fortunate enough to sit next to some really interesting people too.  Talking with my "neighbor" (for a little bit - not the entire flight) is one of my favorite activities on a plane.

And some of the Southwest flight crews are really enjoyable - adding humor to the flight.

Then too I like being able to check 2 bags per person for free!

Was this SW by any chance?  We just flew them and the unassigned seat thing makes me crazy.  We didn't pay extra, but we flew with our 2 kids.  My 14 year old I would have been fine sitting anywhere.  The 10 year old would have freaked out had she not sat by one of us.  We did online check in precisely at the first moment we could (which was a huge pain in both instances) to try and get faster seating time. 

Anyway, I would honestly be fuming mad about it too.  Why have that option when they can just pull it out from under you at any time.  And IMO they shouldn't be charging extra for that for someone with a disability.  You should have had first crack at seating anyway.  I wouldn't be comfortable asking other people either, the flight attendants should have navigated that with you.  I wouldn't necessarily expect more, but I would be posting about it on social media and sending letters to corporate.  And I would avoid that airlines in the future.

I love Southwest's boarding system.  We always pay for the A group and have never had problems finding seats we like - even on totally full planes (which most are).  I've been fortunate enough to sit next to some really interesting people too.  Talking with my "neighbor" (for a little bit - not the entire flight) is one of my favorite activities on a plane.

And some of the Southwest flight crews are really enjoyable - adding humor to the flight.

I've never flown Southwest, but it sounds like paying for the A seats works but then some of those people save multiple seats, making it difficult for those who don't pay for A boarding to find seats. I don't mean that you save seats, but I'm sure I wouldn't like having to ask a dozen people if I can sit by them and being told they're saving seats.  

One of my favorite activities on a plane is plugging my earbuds in, turning up my music, and reading a magazine. I only buy a magazine when I fly so it's a treat.  If I'm not related to the person sitting next to me, I don't want to be chatty with them.   I wonder if my preference for assigned seating is because I'm introverted. Because my extrovert husband wouldn't be phased a bit to find his own seat and chat up a total stranger. 

I agree -- the 2 free checked bags is almost unheard of these days!  My kids try and take SW whenever they can because of that.

Was this SW by any chance?  We just flew them and the unassigned seat thing makes me crazy.  We didn't pay extra, but we flew with our 2 kids.  My 14 year old I would have been fine sitting anywhere.  The 10 year old would have freaked out had she not sat by one of us.  We did online check in precisely at the first moment we could (which was a huge pain in both instances) to try and get faster seating time. 

Anyway, I would honestly be fuming mad about it too.  Why have that option when they can just pull it out from under you at any time.  And IMO they shouldn't be charging extra for that for someone with a disability.  You should have had first crack at seating anyway.  I wouldn't be comfortable asking other people either, the flight attendants should have navigated that with you.  I wouldn't necessarily expect more, but I would be posting about it on social media and sending letters to corporate.  And I would avoid that airlines in the future.

I wasn't sure if I could name the airlines here, but I will.  It was Frontier.

Hmmm.... I am siding with the airlines. You needed to make a fuss with the steward on board....

I flew very regularly with my wheelchair bound dd. I always had a notation made on our reservation and we always had a steward meet us at the gate so that we preboarded well before all of the other preboards. Often we had two or three people helping us on. Of all of our flights, we had a glitch twice and it was all resolved by early pre-checking conversations.

There is a protocol to traveling with lesser abled passengers. I think this is a hard way to learn it, and I am sorry. The airline should want to do more, but they aren't obligated to do so.

I'm shocked that people with disabilities are not boarded first. Every flight I have been on has asked for people with small children and people who need assistance to board first. Strange.

I don't know, maybe a $100 voucher for our next flight with them or something along those lines? :) Or one free ticket?

I think you deserve the compensation; I'm just not sure it is worth all of the time and effort it will probably take you to try and get it. I wish I knew who you should call, but I have never flown Frontier, so I don't have a clue. You definitely need someone with the authority to issue the refund or voucher, and it can take a while to make your way up the ranks when you call on the phone.

Have you tried searching online to see if you can find a post on one of the travel forums from someone who had a similar experience? I'm sure it isn't an uncommon experience.

I've never flown Southwest, but it sounds like paying for the A seats works but then some of those people save multiple seats, making it difficult for those who don't pay for A boarding to find seats. I don't mean that you save seats, but I'm sure I wouldn't like having to ask a dozen people if I can sit by them and being told they're saving seats.  

I do buy the A seat slots for all of us traveling.  It's apparently ok to buy for one and then save seats, but that's just not my style.  Since we're in the first 60 boarding (usually in the first 40), it's never been a problem for us to find seats together even with others saving some.  When we had early B numbers we've also been able to find seats together - albeit then it was always toward the rear of the airplane.

It might matter which route one is traveling.

I wasn't sure if I could name the airlines here, but I will.  It was Frontier.

Frontier doesn't get very many (if any) kudos from anyone I've talked with when the name comes up.  It's just anecdotal, of course, but I've never been inspired to give them a try based upon what others have said.  Your experience certainly isn't helping their reputation, and I'm glad you shared it.

I would write to the CEO of the airline. It's not so much the monetary compensation but the way it was handled and the resulting inconvenience. They need to know how it was handled so they can improve their processes. When you write, be very specific about what flight you were on and when.

One time an airline switched my 7yo daughter to a completely different flight (different from the one she was booked on with the rest of the family) about an hour before we were set to board. It got sorted out before the flight but it was a stressful time at a busy airport and the airline was not exactly helpful. Afterward I wrote to the CEO and they sent me a $100 voucher for each person in my party (for future flights).

Southwest boards families after A and before B. They do people with disabilities before A, though.

I recently took 4 SW flights with an infant, my mother and my grandmother. We boarded all 4 flights when the plane was empty.

I recently took 4 SW flights with an infant, my mother and my grandmother. We boarded all 4 flights when the plane was empty.

In the past month, I've been on 4 SW flights too............... on each of them, they preboarded first people with disabilities (and companions) , second the A group, third families with children aged 4 & under, then B group, and then C group. I fly SW quite often, and this is how I've always seen it.

It might depend upon the route.  When we flew to FL earlier this month they boarded families after the As.  I was sort of hoping they would do them before so I could pick seats away from the infants.  ;)

It worked out ok.  The gentleman I was next to was older and on his way to a cruise to Panama.  He had boarded earlier due to his disability (wheelchair).

But I suspect FL gets quite a few more families, esp this time of year, so that could be why they did it differently.

In the past month, I've been on 4 SW flights too............... on each of them, they preboarded first people with disabilities (and companions) , second the A group, third families with children aged 4 & under, then B group, and then C group. I fly SW quite often, and this is how I've always seen it.

Same here - which is why I wonder if it's the route that makes a difference.  We've flown SW to FL and TX/LA.  We'll be flying them home from the Bahamas in a couple of weeks so I'll see how they do that one then.

My college son flies them to Rochester, NY.  I don't know if he's ever mentioned how they do it to/from there.

Same here - which is why I wonder if it's the route that makes a difference. We've flown SW to FL and TX/LA. We'll be flying them home from the Bahamas in a couple of weeks so I'll see how they do that one then.

My college son flies them to Rochester, NY. I don't know if he's ever mentioned how they do it to/from there.

I recently flew ATL to Columbus, OH and they boarded the A people before the families.

Pursue it. I've found airlines will respond if you send letters and tell them what you expect. We have had some craptacular experiences and have written to inform the airline. Usually we get x amount off tickets for the next flight we book with them. The airline was wrong. You paid and they ought to have provided the service they advertised that you paid for.

I also would pursue this. I am appalled at the way you were treated and would hope that the CEO would be as well. If I were this CEO, I would want to know what happened and make it up to you. This was in no way your fault, and anyone who suggests that it could have been resolved if YOU had acted differently is just wrong. Once the crew makes up their mind that they are not going to do what you want, well, they are not going to do it even is the hand of God writes on the wall of the plane. I also had a bad experience with Frontier the one and only time I flew with them, so they are on my own do-not-fly list.

I would pursue it, but not for reimbursement. I would send an email, including a picture of my family, explaining what happened. Make it very clear that your dh has a disability, and rather than troubling the staff, you chose to pay extra for the seat assignments. Let them know that your dh was embarrassed that you had to traverse other passengers to assist him. Ask the rep for a recommendation of better dealing with this. Explain that you know that flight times are very important to everyone, but disabilities should be treated respectfully, as well.

If you make it about education, you will probably be happy with their response. I think they treated you terribly, but I think you will have better results with an educating email, rather than a monetary one.