Menu

Have we talked about Alecia Pennington?

Joanne

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand not wanting to have a birth certificate, and I can even understand not getting one for your kid, if you never find a reason to need one.

But once that kid is an adult, and wants an affidavit that allows her to get a birth certificate if she wants one, and you are the person that can provide the affidavit - then, you have to do it,  I think.  

What religion is anti birth certificates? I'm pretty sure it's a political view.

All beliefs are political imo.

Not that it matters. Political beliefs aren't illgeal either. Yet.

But it doesn't have to be an established religion.

In this case, there's no law broken except by the midwife. The midwife should have filed a birth certificate and apparently didn't. Since the parents aren't apparently big on bothering with paperwork, it's no surprise they didn't bother to check the midwife did it. Or maybe even asked her not to do it. (Her obligation was to do it anyways.). Which is annoying, but again, they aren't the ones that broke the law.

We can all think it's a royal PITB these parents don't want to sign whatever to avoid being publicly shamed further (which is just another form of manipulation and blackmail isn't it?) but it's not illegal.

If the girl wants to publicly shame someone, why not the one who did something illegal - the crappy midwife for not documenting and not giving an affidavit as to the birth information?

But they specifically said it was a "religious" belief. I'm saying if there is no religion that says that, I'm dubious. Also, that I don't see any connection between spiritual or religious matters and documenting a birth. All religions have documented births as far as I know. I think it's a belief that is rooted only in anti-government paranoia, not in anything to do with any scripture or religious rule or anything along those lines. And, as such, I see not even the slightest element of cover for the family from the law, which requires that they file a birth certificate.

Why did the family change their name in 2014?

An accountant who files no income tax return? They are legally obligated to file a federal tax return if they have more than $20,300 in income. Or if they aren't really married, then they each would need to have less than $10,150 in income to not file. If he actually works as an accountant, I can't see that they'd be under the federal filing threshold.

I feel like Miss Clavel. Something is not right.

All beliefs are political imo.

Not that it matters. Political beliefs aren't illgeal either. Yet.

But it doesn't have to be an established religion.

In this case, there's no law broken except by the midwife. The midwife should have filed a birth certificate and apparently didn't. Since the parents aren't apparently big on bothering with paperwork, it's no surprise they didn't bother to check the midwife did it. Or maybe even asked her not to do it. (Her obligation was to do it anyways.). Which is annoying, but again, they aren't the ones that broke the law.

We can all think it's a royal PITB these parents don't want to sign whatever to avoid being publicly shamed further (which is just another form of manipulation and blackmail isn't it?) but it's not illegal.

If the girl wants to publicly shame someone, why not the one who did something illegal - the crappy midwife for not documenting and not giving an affidavit as to the birth information?

In this case the "shaming" has helped lead to a possible resolution.

And if the nutball parents wouldn't sign the affidavit then they deserved to be shamed.

LucyStoner, on 13 Feb 2015 - 5:10 PM, said:

But the Pearls are not their very own religion. They have some extreme views but those aren't required by their religion.

not their own religion per se - but they do have followers of their whackadoodle ideas.

I don't understand how there can be disagreement over what has been done to the children in this family. This thread is truly mind boggling. These parents are clearly narcissistic and possibly mentally ill, but it's clear from reading the mom's blogs that she is a control freak at the very least. I'm relieved to see that the dad is choosing to cooperate and assist his daughter with gaining her legal identity. I hope these people feel the full strength of the law over all of the shenanigans they've pulled. The nicest thing I can say about these people is that they are religious charlatans.

An accountant who files no income tax return? They are legally obligated to file a federal tax return if they have more than $20,300 in income. Unless they aren't really married they each have less than $10,150 in income. If he works as an accountant, I can't see that they'd be under the federal filing threshold.

I agree. It is like stepping through the looking glass when you start reading some of the stuff linked to the anti-ssn crowd. Curiouser and curiouser.

An accountant who files no income tax return? They are legally obligated to file a federal tax return if they have more than $20,300 in income. Unless they aren't really married they each have less than $10,150 in income. If he works as an accountant, I can't see that they'd be under the federal filing threshold.

Pretty sure he has been trying to hide the income via the "church" they have created.

An accountant who files no income tax return? They are legally obligated to file a federal tax return if they have more than $20,300 in income. Or if they aren't really married, then they each would need to have less than $10,150 in income to not file. If he actually works as an accountant, I can't see that they'd be under the federal filing threshold.

He heads an organization called The Anchor Group, which he claims is a church and therefore exempt from IRS scrutiny. He tried to prevent the IRS from accessing the Anchor Group bank accounts as part of their investigation of him for tax evasion, but a judge ruled in favor of the IRS. He is also a lawyer, BTW, although his law degree is from an unaccredited school. 

Lisa Pennington has an etsy shop (which she closed down when all this stuff went viral) which sells handcrafts and essential oils, and one of the daughters writes self-published Christian fiction, which she sells directly as well as through Amazon. I'm curious if those activities are considered part of their "church" or if they have some other way of handling that income that lets them avoid taxes.

there is also the fact texas requires midwives to be licensed.  midwives in texas are required to file birth certificates - and it is apparent this one did NOT. 

maybe the parents requested none be filed (as they are against registration - none of the kids have a bc) and maybe she didn't because she would potentially be in trouble with the state for not being licensed.  maybe she has the same weird beliefs as the parents about tinfoil gov't.

the midwife was contacted, and she refused to help.  reason was not given.

I"m not sure that the licensing status of the midwife is really an issue. There isn't a law that says a birth has to be attended by someone with a license in the US, is there? If we all wanted to have our kids at home with a friend (or no one but family) to help us, there is nothing that could stop us from doing that, to my knowledge. 

If a person has a medical license of any kind, they then have to follow the regulations set by the state (registering a birth, for example) and then also make sure they have insurance coverage for their practice. It doesn't matter if a parent didn't want the birth registered. If the midwife wasn't of the belief that the birth should be registered, then they shouldn't have accepted the responsibility to become a licensed midwife. Which leads me to think maybe the midwife wasn't licensed, which would make her a "friend" in attendance at a birth, which wouldn't have any legal obligations with it, would it? Now, if she called herself a licensed midwife when she wasn't licensed to be one, then she would be practicing without a license, which is another kettle of fish entirely. If she didn't call herself that and it was just a term the family used to describe her role in the birth, then she isn't a midwife, I wouldn't think. 

I do find the laws surrounding what constitutes "practicing medicine without a license" to be confusing and inconsistent, honestly. I suppose it's entirely possible for a random person to assist someone who is giving birth and then be accused of practicing medicine without a license, no matter what they do or don't call themselves.  

So do you think a 19yo daughter does not have a moral obligation to speak to her parents and show some respect for them?

I believe that a 19 year old has no obligation to speak to her parents and should only show them the respect that they have earned.

Pretty sure he has been trying to hide the income via the "church" they have created.

Churches and other 501 c 3s may not exist for inurement or private benefit like the general living expenses of a family and their receipts have to meet the public support test.

Churches are required to seek tax exempt status from the IRS unless their total receipts are under $5000 a year.

I don't like cheaters.

People have gone to jail trying to pretend their income is church income. It seems that this publicity may cost them in the long run by calling attention to what appears to be possible law breaking.

Something isn't right. Have they actually traveled internationally - was that on her blog or something? Is there any way to get a passport without a bc? And if Alecia has traveled internationally, that means her parents are keeping her passport! Even if it's expired and even if you can get one without a bc, it's still a form of ID. Would anyone defend the parents keeping her passport and refusing to give it to her?

I keep wondering if the older kids all have jobs within the church or under the table. And she said they attend college. Is it like, a bible college? That would explain how they managed to get jobs without ssns. Or how they managed to attend college without showing a bc or having an ssn.

But the drivers licenses? Yeah, I got no clue. Maybe they got them with alternate ID and no bc. It's just weird.

I do NOT understand this family.

Something isn't right. Have they actually traveled internationally - was that on her blog or something? Is there any way to get a passport without a bc? And if Alecia has traveled internationally, that means her parents are keeping her passport! Even if it's expired and even if you can get one without a bc, it's still a form of ID. Would anyone defend the parents keeping her passport and refusing to give it to her?

I keep wondering if the older kids all have jobs within the church or under the table. And she said they attend college. Is it like, a bible college? That would explain how they managed to get jobs without ssns. Or how they managed to attend college without showing a bc or having an ssn.

But the drivers licenses? Yeah, I got no clue. Maybe they got them with alternate ID and no bc. It's just weird.

I didn't need my birth certificate to get my drivers license in 2004. It may that that was because I had a state id? That said, states are tightening id requirements and those changes might explain why her older siblings were able to get them but not her. I have an aunt who has no papers (but was born here) and she never had trouble getting a drivers license until the tighter id requirements. She's gone through a lot trying to get her papers.

The oldest boy (Jacob I think?) says he got a passport and a drivers license (with his parents' help), but purposely chose not to get either a birth certificate or a SSN, because he agrees with this father's beliefs about this. I don't think he has posted anything about having an outside job.

According to the mother, the four girls help run the etsy shop and make all the products they sell. And I believe that Grace (who I think is the 24 year old?) is the one who writes and sells Christian fiction from home.

Can you get a SSN without a birth certificate?  If not, then this family of children is doomed to never being able to hold a job outside the family's Etsy shop, self-published writing gigs, or the parent's tax shelter of a religious organization.  Every single job they would apply for in the US for legal income which is not "under the table" will require a SSN.

Churches and other 501 c 3s may not exist for inurement or private benefit like the general living expenses of a family and their receipts have to meet the public support test.

Churches are required to seek tax exempt status from the IRS unless their total receipts are under $5000 a year.

I don't like cheaters.

People have gone to jail trying to pretend their income is church income. It seems that this publicity may cost them in the long run by calling attention to what appears to be possible law breaking.

The IRS was already on the case before this story broke.

The Duggars have traveled internationally--someone asked if they were anti-SSN nutters. I think that got mixed up with the discussion of this family.

I was reading more on the mom's blog from Free Jinger. Whoa nelly.

If any child from this family ever wishes to get married, the birth certificate is required -- (in Texas) -- in order to obtain a marriage license.

The anti-SSN crowd don't get state marriage licenses either. That limits the legal protection for the women, as children and adults.

Can you get a SSN without a birth certificate? .

According to the social security webpage, you just need the driver's ID and the U.S. passport. They need two documents as proof.

"For example, as proof of identity Social Security must see your:

U.S. driver's license;

State-issued non-driver identification card; or

U.S. passport."

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm

Since the adult children need both, it would depend on wether they are holding on to their own passports or if the parents are keeping them.

Can you get a SSN without a birth certificate?  If not, then this family of children is doomed to never being able to hold a job outside the family's Etsy shop, self-published writing gigs, or the parent's tax shelter of a religious organization.  Every single job they would apply for in the US for legal income which is not "under the table" will require a SSN.

You have to supply Etsy with a tax ID (or SSN) if you make more than $10,000 a year through their payment processing system.

Oh, sorry for the confusion. I meant the Duggers have traveled internationally, as a response to someone wondering if their kids have birth certificates. 

I have two thoughts- one- there are a lot of undocumented women who escape the fundamentalist mormon church, which definitely has branches in Texas.  I'm betting some of the attorneys and groups that help those women would help her too.

Second- If her father's offer falls through if I were her I'd call CPS and complain about their abuse of me, their forcing dependence on adult children, and continued abuse of minor children.  The IRS issues and clear NPD patterns on the blog could only help, and at the very least she'd be able to see a judge that could cut through some of the bureaucratic BS.

But they specifically said it was a "religious" belief. I'm saying if there is no religion that says that, I'm dubious. Also, that I don't see any connection between spiritual or religious matters and documenting a birth. All religions have documented births as far as I know. I think it's a belief that is rooted only in anti-government paranoia, not in anything to do with any scripture or religious rule or anything along those lines. And, as such, I see not even the slightest element of cover for the family from the law, which requires that they file a birth certificate.

I completely agree with you.

My post was just a side discussion about religion and politics in general. :)

A religion doesn't have to be recognized for someone to have it.

They can have a purely political belief that is counter to our common views too.

Neither is illegal.

I completely agree with you.

My post was just a side discussion about religion and politics in general. :)

A religion doesn't have to be recognized for someone to have it.

They can have a purely political belief that is counter to our common views too.

Neither is illegal.

I see. I guess I think calling something like that a "religious" belief cheapens and disrespects religion. Of course it's not illegal to believe the government is out to get you. But it is illegal not to record the birth under the law.

The anti-SSN crowd don't get state marriage licenses either. That limits the legal protection for the women, as children and adults.

Does it follow, then, that such people end up as "common law spouses"? The children of these unions have no legal status under inheritance laws?

The various sub-cultures in this country amaze me!

I see. I guess I think calling something like that a "religious" belief cheapens and disrespects religion. Of course it's not illegal to believe the government is out to get you. But it is illegal not to record the birth under the law.

I agree with you about what I consider to be a "religious" belief. But I don't make the laws or get to decide what is or is not an acceptable religious belief.

As for it being illegal to not record a birth....

Actually I do not know that it is. I went looking out of curiosity and I can't find anything that says it is illegal to not file a birth certificate in Texas or elsewhere in the states.

It seems to be one of the many many things spoken of as factual laws that actually is not a law at all.

Otoh, there are many incentives to get a BC and SSN. Maybe earned income tax or the ability to apply for food stamps for example. And there are many places that want to see a BC or SSN. So life is a PITB of extra hoops without them, so PITB avoidance is certainly an incentive too.

But that doesn't make it an actual legal mandate to file a birth certificate or for SSN for a baby.

So as a complete side question, I'm curious to know if a citizen is required by an actual law to file for either on behalf of children born to them. Does anyone know?

I suspect it is not actually illegal to not do this.

Please note, I am not saying I agree. Everyone in my house has both. :)

((the lack of multiquote is simultaneously killing me and driving up my post count))

Some of the other kids were able to get passports and licenses, because they toed the line and their parents helped them obtain what they needed. 

I have only seen reference to those documents, not birth certificates and not social security numbers. They can get by with those for now because they are still living at home. If anyone has seen anyone state that they have other documentation, please link it. 

With a passport and a license, they should be easily able to get a SSN.  I assume they could also get a delayed bc if they ever wanted one.  But how often do you need your birth certificate?  The only time I recall ever needing it was for my dossier when I adopted my kids from a foreign country.  The foreign country wanted my birth certificate IIRC.  Nobody else did.

If I'd been raised as this girl was raised, and I managed to get out, I'd not be 100% confident of my safety if I went back home for the mandatory discussion. I'd wonder if I'd be beaten or locked up or (at the least) screamed at. At the very least I'd expect a horrible, horrible, horrible dramatic afternoon in which my parents fall apart, the younger kids are terrorized by the drama, and the neighbors get quite a show, with no guarantee of getting the document which might not exist.

Look at that blog post by her mother, falling over with Sturm und Drang because her adult daughter moved in with her grandparents. If the woman bleeds irrational emotion all over her blog to strangers that way, what do you think she pours out on her own kids? Expecting Alecia to re-enter Crazytown in search of the docs is unreasonable.

If she does go, she shouldn't go alone!

I find myself wondering if Alecia is actually, in Mother Pennington's view, a pawn in a longer, ongoing disagreement with her own parents (the grandparents).

I can easily find several references to it being law (linked below) to register all births, but I haven't been able to pin down who the law applies to (parents vs doctor/midwife). Perhaps it varies by state?

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/births.htm

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/United_States_Vital_Records

Right. References, but no actual law. For example, I've had nurses at the hospital tell me we had to give my kids certain shots and eye drops at birth by law. But in actuality, that is not the law at all. The law says they must offer it, not that they have to do it or that parents are breaking the law if they refuse it for whatever reason. (Again. My kids had them usually. But the point is, saying something is the law doesn't actually make it a law.)

Odds a midwife has kept records from a birth 19 years ago? Slim.

Actually Im a midwife and apprenticed under two who have been practicing since 79-80. They still have all their records (well one is deceased and I'm not sure what happened to her records but when she was alive she still had them)

Actually Im a midwife and apprenticed under two who have been practicing since 79-80. They still have all their records (well one is deceased and I'm not sure what happened to her records but when she was alive she still had them)

Right. Mine did too and so do others I know. Most midwives keep their records the same as a dr would.

I will gladly bet money that a dimwit who doesn't file the birth certificate isn't great with records.

Right. References, but no actual law. For example, I've had nurses at the hospital tell me we had to give my kids certain shots and eye drops at birth by law. But in actuality, that is not the law at all. The law says they must offer it, not that they have to do it or that parents are breaking the law if they refuse it for whatever reason. (Again. My kids had them usually. But the point is, saying something is the law doesn't actually make it a law.)

Oh, registering live births is definitely the law in all 50 states. You have to register all live births and all deaths. The particulars are state-by-state, though, and I figured out I had to google it that way to get the specifics. 

Texas law states that it should be done by the licensed medical profession attending the birth, if there is one. If not, then the parents.

It definitely should have been done by law. My guess would be that they didn't use a licensed midwife, because surely it would be difficult to find a licensed midwife willing to break the law for not just one, but all of your eleventy billion children. So, back to the parents. 

Texas law [HSC §192.003 (d)]. I'm sure every state is similar, but it can be checked by searching "STATE NAME live birth reporting requirements." 

SKL, on 13 Feb 2015 - 8:53 PM, said:SKL, on 13 Feb 2015 - 8:53 PM, said:

With a passport and a license, they should be easily able to get a SSN.  I assume they could also get a delayed bc if they ever wanted one.  But how often do you need your birth certificate?  The only time I recall ever needing it was for my dossier when I adopted my kids from a foreign country.  The foreign country wanted my birth certificate IIRC.  Nobody else did.

I had to have a bc to get a passport.  my kids had to have a bc to get a driver's license - and their own passports.

and their ssn of course - which they got as infants.

Oh, registering live births is definitely the law in all 50 states. You have to register all live births and all deaths. The particulars are state-by-state, though, and I figured out I had to google it that way to get the specifics. 

Texas law states that it should be done by the licensed medical profession attending the birth, if there is one. If not, then the parents.

It definitely should have been done by law. My guess would be that they didn't use a licensed midwife, because surely it would be difficult to find a licensed midwife willing to break the law for not just one, but all of your eleventy billion children. So, back to the parents. 

Texas law [HSC §192.003 (d)]. I'm sure every state is similar, but it can be checked by searching "STATE NAME live birth reporting requirements." 

I agree. The siblings who have spoken out have stated they don't have any documents until older and then it is the parents helping only get certain ones. It would appear that if they did have someone helping them deliver that they were asked/told not to file. If a licensed person must do so then it makes sense they are not licensed. The parents seem to have thrown the person under the bus as well this week by saying they assumed she filed. What kind of parent would never check to see if birth certificates had been filed for any of their children? You cannot convince me that those parents didn't know, especially considering the statements of the older siblings. If it was genuinely an oversight, then they were informed when their older children needed help and they should have remedied the situation for all.

I had to have a bc to get a passport.  my kids had to have a bc to get a driver's license - and their own passports.

and their ssn of course - which they got as infants.

But we're talking about people who supposedly already have a pssport and a license.

How in the world does one obtain a US passport without a birth certificate? I find this alarming. Perhaps someone can give me an explanation, but I do not understand how a person with no identity papers whatsoever could apply for a passport, especially post-911.

I also wonder what's up with the name change. There must be a story behind that (I mean, I would understand if the original name were the same as or similar to a derogatory or offensive word, but, Sublett?). As for Alecia having to sign off on it, um...she doesn't exist. No record of a previous name, she's not on file anywhere, no need for her (or any of the previously undocumented children) to be included in paperwork for that. All that need be done is to simply start calling her by another name.

I will gladly bet money that a dimwit who doesn't file the birth certificate isn't great with records.

True ;) but someone said something about her not keeping them that long and I wanted to point out that keepig them is the norm. But who knows what this situation is. There are midwives working underground in places and she could be.

True ;) but someone said something about her not keeping them that long and I wanted to point out that keepig them is the norm. But who knows what this situation is. There are midwives working underground in places and she could be.

It may be the norm for decent midwifes.  Some of the ones I have been around...not so much,

Texas law [HSC §192.003 (d)]. I'm sure every state is similar, but it can be checked by searching "STATE NAME live birth reporting requirements."

The medical professional gives the official form to the parent(s) to complete and sign, then the medical professional files it. If parent(s) do not, the hospital or whichever medical professional would file a Baby Doe report using whatever info they have on the parent(s). We couldn't decide on a name with our last baby and asked what would happen if we left without completing the form.

(As an aside, an extension of this has been proposed as a requirement by some proponents of fetal personhood laws... One proposed bill in my state would have required reporting all miscarriages with a criminal penalty attached for failing to do so.)

And yeah, I'd bet they used a "midwife" versus a licensed, professional midwife.