Menu

How to get on track for pre-algebra in 6th grade?

redquilthorse

My son is in 4th grade currently. He is a bright student that I think will be ready for pre-algebra in 6th grade. I would like to get him there, but I am not sure how to do that. Up to this point, he has been doing BJU for math and it is very easy for him. Should I move through it at a faster pace and go through 6th grade math between now and the end of 5th? Or do I just skip the 6th grade math book and move to pre-algebra? I am a little concerned that speeding up the pace but still covering the whole book for two grade levels would discourage him, not because it is too difficult, but because of the volume of work.

Would it be better to switch to a different curriculum that will challenge him enough to get him ready for 6th grade prealgebra?

My oldest did pre-algebra in 6th using Chalkdust, but for him, we didn't need to accelerate because of his birthday. He has a late birthday, so he didn't start kindergarten until he was almost 6. But we started kindergarten math with him The year before. So he has just naturally been working a year ahead in math (he did the 6th grade book in what was technically his 5th grade year).

From my perspective, it only makes sense to work faster if you feel your student is being under-challenged, not just to meet an imaginary deadline like ''pre-algebra by sixth grade''. If you feel like he's doing more problems than are necessary for his understanding, feel free to scale those back and cover material faster, just keep an eye on him to make sure it was a good move. If you don't feel like he's currently under-challenged or doing too much repetition, I don't see the motivation to move him faster. 

Is he doing 4th grade maths this year? If you just go straight into the next book and do maths year round you can skip a lot of revision stuff at the start of the year. A lot of people compress or skip stuff in Singapore and math mammoth six a and b. If you include 2 summers you have 15 months to do 18 months of work minus revision and you can always start PA a few months into the 6th grade and go through into the summer.

It seems to me it would help if you could get some input from those familiar with BJU Math, some curriculum is easier to accelerate than others and depending on the scope and sequence and what program you are going to use for Pre-A getting 6th grade done may or may not prepare him. I mean the basic options for accelerating is (1) just having a kid that works faster and understands quicker (2) doing math longer and more days (3) using a program with minimal review or skipping it and/or (4) using program(s) that finish elementary math sooner in the sequence, which would necessarily go through things faster than other programs that do not. I think you need to do some specific searches on here for BJU math (or at least that is what I would do), check out the scope and sequence and then look at what pre-A program you think you want to do.

We are accelerating a bit here, in our hs I consider ds 4th/5th, if he was in ps he would be 4th, he seems to be on target for pre-A or A by 6th at least. We are using a program, Beast Academy, that goes through Elementary Math by 5th and if the publication schedule was faster we would be faster. I've been doing reviews with other programs (currently CLE- previously Horizons) but we don't do all of it, so it is just to give him practice and speed. CLE actually seems like one of the easier programs to accelerate. I was having a hard time with Horizons. We also don't take huge breaks with math, which makes it easier as we can skip some of the review right off the bat, as nearly every program assumes that you need review at the beginning.

As far as challenging him, I have no experience and knowledge of BJU, so I cannot speak to that. We are doing BA, which is generally considered rigorous. Singapore also carries that reputation. Math Mammoth also has a good reputation and seems to be easier to implement.

I'm sure you understand this, but a lot can happen in two years. How do you know your son will be ready for prealgebra by then? How do you know what topics will confound him in the meantime, or how much of any year he can breeze through? Why have a schedule?

That said, my DS is in algebra in 6th. He skipped prealgebra altogether because for him it wasn't necessary. We had no plan to get him to this point at 11 and if we had it probably would have backfired.

My suggestion is to simply follow his needs. If he understands something fully,feel free to accelerate through at his pace. But having an arbitrary deadline for 6th grade because of a supposed path you want for him in high school sounds like an awful amount of pressure--for you and for him. I don't think anyone can tell you how to do it except for your son. Follow his lead, allow him to work at his pace, and know that's enough.

It would be more helpful to me to get suggestions for how to do this than to debate why. I have his best interests in mind and I know if he couldn't handle it later we would slow down. This isn't my arbitrary agenda. Can we set that aside please?

I am just wondering how kids end up in prealgebra in 6th grade if they don't already start out a year ahead like my older son. It is very helpful to know which curricula get kids there and what grades the kids might skip. I own math mammoth and could switch very easily. I also will look at beast academy and Singapore. Thanks!

It's possible to go from Singapore Primary Math standards 5A/5B to prealgebra skipping 6A/6B.

It is also easy to school year round and do 180 days x 3 years worth of work in two years.

You can also let your son do the unit tests and if he scores full marks just skip the unit as a way to get to prealgebra faster.

My local public school just let the kids stronger in math skip PreAlgebra and do algebra in 7th.

Edited because I realized just how much information I was giving. I would suggest Singapore Math with the IP and CWP, at his pace.  My kids are all over the place in math and that is all I can say, follow their pace.

DS would say he just does more math.  More hours a day, more days a week, more of the year, which is why he has the tutor.  I just can't love math that much. 

I think the problem is that you are wanting a one size fits all solution to an individual situation. My son started PreA in fourth grade. He did Geometry this year before ever doing Algebra. His brain works in images. It was fine for him. He flew through two years of math in second grade, but then hit a serious bump at understanding divisibility and number theory when it was explained via an algebra approach. Another boardies son took three years to get through Algebra, but then covered three full years of math the next year because light bulbs were going off left and right. Some kids flip out at fractions. Some kids have their brain blow up at multi-digit multiplication. Some kids struggle horribly until Geometry and Combinitorics. This might be why people are wondering how it seems that you can "know" that PreA in 6th will work out. It has nothing to do with your ability as a parent or teacher and everything to do with learning not being linear. There is absolutely no way for someone to tell you how to compress math for your son. He will learn and react to materials completely differently than another person's child.

Generally the process entails taking end of chapter tests until you hit a place the student cannot get a 90 percent or above. This is taking the tests dry, with no help or explaining, just kid and test. Math Mammoth is good for this as it is so incremental. Lots of quick assessments. You can tell immediately what sticks and what doesn't. However, that does not make it the best curriculum for your kid. It just makes it convenient.

If what you are currently doing seems too easy, but he still cannot complete a chapter test with 90 or above, have him do every third problem. Perhaps it is the repetitions which are bogging him down.

Darn near every math teacher I know (and I was one) will tell you the absolute worst thing you can do is not have fundamentals down rock solid, inside out, beyond algorithm knowledge, deep conceptual knowlegde. It does not matter if a kid gets through calculus or not. They cannot succeed in math if they are not completely able to understand the four basic operations and the relationships of PreA. So speed up if you need to, don't stifle the kid in boredom, but be sure in the rush to hit a goal you do not wind up cut him short when he has to apply the knowledge abstractly later.

I think the problem is that you are wanting a one size fits all solution to an individual situation. My son started PreA in fourth grade. He did Geometry this year before ever doing Algebra. His brain works in images. It was fine for him. He flew through two years of math in second grade, but then hit a serious bump at understanding divisibility and number theory when it was explained via an algebra approach. Another boardies son took three years to get through Algebra, but then covered three full years of math the next year because light bulbs were going off left and right. Some kids flip out at fractions. Some kids have their brain blow up at multi-digit multiplication. Some kids struggle horribly until Geometry and Combinitorics. This might be why people are wondering how it seems that you can "know" that PreA in 6th will work out. It has nothing to do with your ability as a parent or teacher and everything to do with learning not being linear. There is absolutely no way for someone to tell you how to compress math for your son. He will learn and react to materials completely differently than another person's child.

Generally the process entails taking end of chapter tests until you hit a place the student cannot get a 90 percent or above. This is taking the tests dry, with no help or explaining, just kid and test. Math Mammoth is good for this as it is so incremental. Lots of quick assessments. You can tell immediately what sticks and what doesn't. However, that does not make it the best curriculum for your kid. It just makes it convenient.

If what you are currently doing seems too easy, but he still cannot complete a chapter test with 90 or above, have him do every third problem. Perhaps it is the repetitions which are bogging him down.

Darn near every math teacher I know (and I was one) will tell you the absolute worst thing you can do is not have fundamentals down rock solid, inside out, beyond algorithm knowledge, deep conceptual knowlegde. It does not matter if a kid gets through calculus or not. They cannot succeed in math if they are not completely able to understand the four basic operations and the relationships of PreA. So speed up if you need to, don't stifle the kid in boredom, but be sure in the rush to hit a goal you do not wind up cut him short when he has to apply the knowledge abstractly later.

Thank you for saying everything I was struggling to put into words.

My oldest started Prealgebra in 4th, and we've taken two years to do it (AoPS). He did not start math early, as he was in private school for K and half of first. I used Math Mammoth 1 starting in first, and we skipped sections he was proficient in, using chapter tests to help me identify those sections we could skip. About halfway through the grade 4 book, we switched to Singapore 4A and continued that at his own pace until we completed 5B. We then moved into AoPS Prealgebra, which is designed to follow 5th grade math.

So mostly, we just skipped stuff he already knew. We'd do enough to practice it, but we didn't dwell on it. We also school year round, but that only adds about 20 days. Most of our acceleration came from skipping things.

I've never had a goal of xyz in a certain grade. I just follow the kid's lead. And like EndOfOrdinary said, you can't predict what topics will stump your kid.

This was my schedule, 20 years ago: Algebra II 10th grade, Geometry 9th, Algebra I 8th, Pre Algebra 7th, and I guess 6th grade math in 6th? I'm not sure. I do remember skipping most of 5th grade math, and math became more difficult for me after that. I was on track to take Pre Calculus and AP Calculus, although I didn't. All this is to say I don't intend to skip anything for my dd. She's bright, but not gifted or anything in math (sort of like I was). She needs every step spelled out and lots of practice. Just switched to Horizons from Beast Academy and Singapore. I'm hoping to accelerate through Horizons 3 to get her to finish Horizons 4 by the end of 4th grade--BA and Singapore have a different S and S than the others, but the review we need. Hope I'm not taking over the thread--I started out trying to answer your question :)

What EndofOrdinary said.

But since you're trying to get an idea of what different people have used, my fourth-grader in Pre-A used BA until he exceeded their publication schedule, then switched to using the MM Blue series to cover specific topics I knew he needed to do before Pre-A (i.e. integers, decimals (both of which are now covered by BA), more fraction practice, etc.). He flies through curricula and needs systematic review because he goes through so fast, and we use Khan Academy and Alcumus once a week for review. My DD8 is just about at the point that he was math-wise when he started Pre-A, but I'm giving her some time to mature before starting. Math is a marathon, not a sprint.

I'm using CLE to make sure ds is ready for Algebra. He is a bright student and understands math easily, but he isn't great with details and can make careless mistakes here and there. From all my research, CLE's 7th grade level is a strong Pre-Algebra. I liked that it is a spiral approach so that he will have plenty of practice to make sure the basic skills of math are in place.

Even though ds is a natural math learner, I'm not going to push him into Algebra before he's truly ready for it. There is more to being able to understand Algebra than just being able to do the steps. There are many articles calling into question the idea of pushing Algebra 1 to lower grades.  http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/for-educators-pushing-eighth-grade-algebra-an-f-in-brain-science/2011/05/25/gIQAFuVyGI_story.html  I did Algebra 1 in 9th grade and went on to get my math degree with no problems. I was so ready for it, though, that I had an almost 100 average.

If you want to look at CLE, do the placement test. You can print it for free from the Sample. https://www.clp.org/store/by_grade/21

My DS used a combination of materials, but in the last years before pre-Algebra, mainly math mammoth. He skipped topics that he already knew and spent time on trickier concepts, like fractions and decimals. I'm not familiar with BJU, but I'd find a program easy to accelerate.

I thought many math programs considered their 6th grade math year to be a 'pre-algebra' year. Does BJU? Or to they have a 7th grade pre-A year? I've never seen anything by BJU, so I don't know.

Singapore Math 6a&6b is considered by many to be pre-algebra. Many kids go right from that to Algebra and do just fine. Some kid are ready for algebra a bit earlier and skip 6a&6b and go right to algebra. Other kids stop SM at 5B and them spend a couple years doing pre-Algebra until they are ready for algebra.

I had my son complete 6a&6b and then we did a year of AoPS pre-A in 7th followed by Algebra in 8th. My younger son might be ready for AoPS pre-A in 6th, but I don't know. My older son might have done just as well skipping SM 6a&6b and going right to AoPS, but I didn't know about it then, lol.

maybe your son would find something like Beast Academy more to his liking. It is my understanding that they are planning to get to 5th grade and then stop /bc students would then move on to AoPS pre-Algebra for 6th grade. I moved my younger son from SM to Beast Academy and it was a fairly easy switch. They might have placement tests, but I don't know. My son was a 3rd grader and the programs starts with year 3 so I just started at the beginning. 

Some kids may seem ready for pre-A or A "early", but lack the deeper conceptual mastery or maturity until a bit later. There just isn't a way to predict future math maturity in the 4th grade, unless your child is at that point now.

Since you don't want to hear that, however, my son did MM all the way through. He just went quickly, at one point (grade 4 I think?) completing 2 years in one. He didn't really need to do MM6 (old version), but I'm glad he had the extra year before starting algebra. Waiting--despite his boredom last year--definitely paid off now that he's being forced to write out solutions instead of solving everything in his head.

I must admit to being completely confused by the whole concept of pre-Algebra. My daughter is just starting Singapore 5A (Standards Edition). I have heard and pretty much confirmed by the Singapore Math website explaining scope and sequence that 6th grade Singapore does not cover very many new topics. But on the other hand, having looked over Art of Problem Solving Pre-Algebra, I don't see it introducing that many new topics either (although the approach is difference). Am I wrong in thinking that "Pre-Algebra" really just means consolidating the skills learned in grades 1 through 5? 

In any event, I am planning on moving my daughter to ASOP Pre-Algebra for 6th grade, and should its approach prove troublesome, to switch to Singapore 6A and 6B. 

My real question is not what do we need to do to prepare a student for Algebra in 7th or 8th grade, but rather, what are the public schools (which under Common Core are delaying Algebra until 9th grade) are doing in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade? Is there really any reason why a student that has mastered any rigorous 1 through 6 math program should not be ready for Algebra by 7th grade? 

I must admit to being completely confused by the whole concept of pre-Algebra. My daughter is just starting Singapore 5A (Standards Edition). I have heard and pretty much confirmed by the Singapore Math website explaining scope and sequence that 6th grade Singapore does not cover very many new topics. But on the other hand, having looked over Art of Problem Solving Pre-Algebra, I don't see it introducing that many new topics either (although the approach is difference). Am I wrong in thinking that "Pre-Algebra" really just means consolidating the skills learned in grades 1 through 5? 

In any event, I am planning on moving my daughter to ASOP Pre-Algebra for 6th grade, and should its approach prove troublesome, to switch to Singapore 6A and 6B. 

My real question is not what do we need to do to prepare a student for Algebra in 7th or 8th grade, but rather, what are the public schools (which under Common Core are delaying Algebra until 9th grade) are doing in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade? Is there really any reason why a student that has mastered any rigorous 1 through 6 math program should not be ready for Algebra by 7th grade? 

NY is a common core state and many college track students take Algebra in 8th grade, and did so even back when I was in public school. If a student is ready, they can certainly take it in 7th, and I know some families whose 7th graders have done so.

It isn't a common core issue, but a local decision. Some districts are more or less flexible.

Thanks - this is all helpful info. My earlier reply was an attempt to avoid debating whether it's best for him to accelerate, because I already am aware of the pitfalls in that. I appreciate the advice, but I wanted to focus on getting more practical answers. I'm not hell-bent on doing it, but I want to give him the opportunity. I am mostly interested in finding out how different people get there. BJU is a good math program, but it seems to start more slowly and get harder in later grades. It has less mental math and challenging problems than other programs, as far as I can tell (at least in early elementary - we haven't used it past 4th). I have a hard time teaching math mammoth, which is why I bought it but then didn't end up using it as our primary curriculum. (My older son now uses Chalkdust and is doing awesome with it.) It sounds like there are lots of ways to work with a child who "gets" math and is ready to be challenged.

I do know we need to find something that includes more of the conceptual part of math - BJU has it in there, but I don't know that I am teaching it as well as I could. But I have seen that once he gets a good explanation of a concept, he understands it very well.

Like I said, my intention is not to push him so hard that he ends up in trouble later - but I want him to have the opportunity to advance and I am guessing he will be ready. I know that skipping too much can cause problems (we learned that with our older son in 6th grade, but thankfully have resolved that with him.) He already has caught a bunch of what his older brother is learning, and he does things on Khan Academy that show he has some comprehension of some of the concepts taught in pre-algebra. 

Just from a quick google search, I have seen that some schools give kids a placement test to determine whether they are ready for pre-algebra. Is there something like this for homeschoolers? 

I should also add that, with this child, if I totally followed his pace he would play video games and work on Khan Academy all day.  :tongue_smilie:  So he does need some guidance from mom. I am trying to balance between challenging him at a level that he feels good about and not pushing so hard he hates it. (I usually err on the not pushing side, probably too much.)

NY is a common core state and many college track students take Algebra in 8th grade, and did so even back when I was in public school. If a student is ready, they can certainly take it in 7th, and I know some families whose 7th graders have done so.

It isn't a common core issue, but a local decision. Some districts are more or less flexible.

Yes, I think things will look different according to district. In ours, the tracks have been maintained, but the percentage of students in each have changed. Up until now, the very advanced would take Algebra in 7th grade, may be even in 6th. If you placed proficient or advanced in math at the end of 5th grade, you were slated for Algebra in 8th grade. Now, students will be placed on the Algebra 1 in 8th grade track only if they have scored at the gifted level for math at the end of 5th grade. Everybody else, i. e. the majority, will be on track for 9th grade Algebra. A few exceptionally advanced students will be placed in 7th grade Algebra.

Homeschool Buyers Coop offers some aptitude type tests that might be helpful.  Many curricula offer placement tests- you could use the pre-alg one.  I subscribe to Tablet Class Math and CTC Math.  Both have multiple levels available (depending on your subscription) so I allow my students to learn what they can as they are ready for it.  I've used PLATO learning in a similar way in the past and may again in future.

Honestly, all "pre-Algebra" is is a review of math.  If you have an eye on a upper grades math program, such as Saxon or Chalkdust or AoPS etc take their placement test. That will let you know if the student is ready

And I think being 'easy' in the early years and more difficult later on is fairly typical for an elementary math program.

Have you considered adding in some extras like "challenging world problems" "Intensive Practice" or "Mental Math" type books to use in addition to your main curriculum?

My son is in 4th this year.  He will finish Singapore 5b this summer and will start PreA in the fall of 5th grade.  We are skipping Singapore 6.  Out of curiosity I had him take the placement for AOPS PreA (you can find it on their website) and he passed it.  I'm still going to have him finish Singapore 5 though.   

We use CLE and plan to be in done with the grade 6 (600s) by the end of fifth grade.  I accelerated DD by having her skip the first 17 lessons (all review), and I also had her skip the quizzes starting in grade 5.  My daughter's homework/test grades are routinely above 95% so I am confident that she is not missing anything with our accelerated schedule.

Thanks - this is all helpful info. My earlier reply was an attempt to avoid debating whether it's best for him to accelerate, because I already am aware of the pitfalls in that. I appreciate the advice, but I wanted to focus on getting more practical answers. I'm not hell-bent on doing it, but I want to give him the opportunity. I am mostly interested in finding out how different people get there. BJU is a good math program, but it seems to start more slowly and get harder in later grades. It has less mental math and challenging problems than other programs, as far as I can tell (at least in early elementary - we haven't used it past 4th). I have a hard time teaching math mammoth, which is why I bought it but then didn't end up using it as our primary curriculum. (My older son now uses Chalkdust and is doing awesome with it.) It sounds like there are lots of ways to work with a child who "gets" math and is ready to be challenged.

I do know we need to find something that includes more of the conceptual part of math - BJU has it in there, but I don't know that I am teaching it as well as I could. But I have seen that once he gets a good explanation of a concept, he understands it very well.

Like I said, my intention is not to push him so hard that he ends up in trouble later - but I want him to have the opportunity to advance and I am guessing he will be ready. I know that skipping too much can cause problems (we learned that with our older son in 6th grade, but thankfully have resolved that with him.) He already has caught a bunch of what his older brother is learning, and he does things on Khan Academy that show he has some comprehension of some of the concepts taught in pre-algebra. 

Just from a quick google search, I have seen that some schools give kids a placement test to determine whether they are ready for pre-algebra. Is there something like this for homeschoolers? 

There are lot of ways to work with a child who "gets" math.  

My DD did all "american" math starting prealgebra in 6th with Art of Problem Solving, but is now slowing down in Algebra II in 9th.  She may do precalc next year, or we may do more Counting and Probability or Number Theory while she reviews.

My DS did Singapore math all the way through, using the IP and CWP.  He's in 4th doing Singapore Secondary Math and Art of Problem Solving.  

Then I have two DC who slowed down significantly in 5th and will probably do prealgebra in 8th.

My son is in 4th this year.  He will finish Singapore 5b this summer and will start PreA in the fall of 5th grade.  We are skipping Singapore 6.  Out of curiosity I had him take the placement for AOPS PreA (you can find it on their website) and he passed it.  I'm still going to have him finish Singapore 5 though.   

To my understanding the AoPS pre-test is notoriously easy and is not necessarily representative of the actual skills needed. 

I haven't found this to be true of AoPS Pre-A, though it may well be of many programs.

It may end up being true of kids who work through BA and go into AoPS pre-A.  We won't know until all of year 5 is done.

And I am not sure there is one standard pre-Algebra. Like I said, many people consider SM 6a&6b to be pre-Algebra and some kids skip it entirely and go right to algebra. But, IIRRC, it does not cover negative numbers, but I am sure others do. However, for my kid that wasn't a big deal in any way. My older kid did do both SM 6a&6b, but that was more because I thought he could some time learning the AoPS method before doing AoPS algebra and I felt like we had time. AoPS was very different from SM, and it was good for him to spend the time learning a different way of doing math. My younger boy is using BA and hopes to use it through 5th grade. Supposedly that means he can move right into AoPS for pre-algebra.

But it does seem that pre-Algebra is a bit of a place holder math (someone here described it as "parking lot math) until kids aptitude for conceptual math catches up to their foundational skills. Every program is a little bit different, but they all seem to shore up the basics.

Yes, I think things will look different according to district. In ours, the tracks have been maintained, but the percentage of students in each have changed. Up until now, the very advanced would take Algebra in 7th grade, may be even in 6th. If you placed proficient or advanced in math at the end of 5th grade, you were slated for Algebra in 8th grade. Now, students will be placed on the Algebra 1 in 8th grade track only if they have scored at the gifted level for math at the end of 5th grade. Everybody else, i. e. the majority, will be on track for 9th grade Algebra. A few exceptionally advanced students will be placed in 7th grade Algebra.

I do not know if this has anything to do with the new graduation requirement. At least in NY. Previously, ny require a 60 in the regent test to graduate, now with the common core, our district is saying the requirement will be 85. (Not sure when the requirement will starts) Maybe they tightening up the requirement for acceleration to make sure kids can graduate? My DS is in PS and they have 1 accelerated math class between 2 elementary schools... Roughly 10%. Will be on track for algebra in 8th grade Right now we only know my DS and another boy will do double acceleration next school year ( that will lead them to algebra in 7th) so that is very selective few

My son is in 4th this year. He will finish Singapore 5b this summer and will start PreA in the fall of 5th grade. We are skipping Singapore 6. Out of curiosity I had him take the placement for AOPS PreA (you can find it on their website) and he passed it. I'm still going to have him finish Singapore 5 though.

I have heard that test is a bit on the easy side.

It may end up being true of kids who work through BA and go into AoPS pre-A.  We won't know until all of year 5 is done.

And I am not sure there is one standard pre-Algebra. Like I said, many people consider SM 6a&6b to be pre-Algebra and some kids skip it entirely and go right to algebra. But, IIRRC, it does not cover negative numbers, but I am sure others do. However, for my kid that wasn't a big deal in any way. My older kid did do both SM 6a&6b, but that was more because I thought he could some time learning the AoPS method before doing AoPS algebra and I felt like we had time. AoPS was very different from SM, and it was good for him to spend the time learning a different way of doing math. My younger boy is using BA and hopes to use it through 5th grade. Supposedly that means he can move right into AoPS for pre-algebra.

But it does seem that pre-Algebra is a bit of a place holder math (someone here described it as "parking lot math) until kids aptitude for conceptual math catches up to their foundational skills. Every program is a little bit different, but they all seem to shore up the basics.

6a/6b doesn't cover a lot of stuff covered in many pre-A books.  I'm referring to PM.  Maybe Standards does cover more?  No clue.

I skipped it because there wasn't anything new in it. 

Pre A often covers topics such as radicals, exponents, negative numbers, order of operations, solving basic equations, etc.  None of those things were covered in SM.  I used MUS as our "pre-algebra" and those things were already assumed to be in place.  And I don't consider MUS to be all that rigorous. 

To the OP, it's hard to give advice because I have no familiarity with BJU math.  What I did was basically condense.  I gave fewer problems because not as much practice was needed.  I went over some topics in a day rather than the weeks it was slated for.  For example, SM (that's what I used) covers stuff like reading a bar graph.  That doesn't take weeks to understand. 

My current sixth grader is using AoPS prealg. He came from the beginning of Horizons 6. He was barely getting anything wrong, wanted more algebra in his diet, and has always been a strong math student. He's thriving in AoPS.

He started school with a mixture of Rod and Staff and books from our homeschool closet (he has two older sibling who have always been homeschooled). Somewhere near the end of fourth he got further ahead in R&S textbooks than his little hand could keep up with, and he switched to Horizons workbooks. For years I'd swear I was only teaching him the vocabulary for math he had already figured out on his own. *shrug*

I compiled this list of placement tests some time ago; some are for algebra, some are for pre-algebra.  I haven't checked to see if the links are all still active.

MATH 500-800 Diagnostic Test

http://www.clp.org/documents/3144/original/Math_Diagnostic_Tests_500-800.pdf

Answer key

http://www.clp.org/documents/3145/original/Math_Diagnostic_Tests_500-800_Teacher_s_Manual.pdf

These are the placement tests for Singapore Math.  If a child scores over 80% then they are able to move on to the next level.  The sixth grade curriculum is broken into two books.  The next level after sixth grade is an integrated math that includes algebra, geometry, etc.

Singapore Primary Math 6A (U.S. Ed.)

Singapore Primary Math 6B (U.S. Ed.)

Calvert Algebra Placement Test (pdf with no answers)

http://homeschool.calverteducation.com/placement/HS04AlgebraPlacementTest.pdf

These are K12 placement tests.  Answers included.

Pre-Algebra A Semester 1 Assessment 13 (505 KB) Semester 2 Assessment 14 (549 KB) Pre-Algebra B Semester 1 Assessment 15 (124 KB) Semester 2 Assessment 16 (659 KB)

Math-U-See Placement tests. Answers included.

Pre-Algebra Placement Test

Algebra 1 Placement Test

Thinkwell Placement test:

Test 4

Algebra 1 Placement Test Answer Key

Perhaps something here will be of help.

Regards,

Kareni

I think using Math Mammoth could work, if you did a good job getting rid of extra practice you don't need. We found it went too slowly for my son.

A school year is 36 weeks. That gives you an extra 16 weeks per year, so over two years you get nearly three school years. Diligent work on math during summer and holidays could probably help achieve your goal.

From MM, we moved to Singapore. I only use the IP and CWP books because the normal practice book had too much work compared to speed. 

I plain old skipped a year of math (from middle of 3rd to middle of 4th) and sort of taught myself concepts as I went. It worked out well for me. The teachers told my parents that the curriculum spent one year teaching for each year reviewing. I don't know if that is typical anymore, or if BJU does that. You might try having your son do the end of unit tests and then just teaching whatever he didn't know. Also, school texts have to review for about 6-10 weeks at the beginning of each year. If you don't take long breaks, you can skip those chapters.

Some kids really rise to the challenge. I have a child who does exactly what I expect of her, whether that is a lot or a little. I am really glad that I was accelerated in math.

Emily

AoPS PreA is the same as any other PreA in terms of topics. It covers the topics to a much greater depth, but it is the exact same topics. This is the reason an AoPS kid can pass the same algebra class as a Saxon kid. The info is not different. The AoPS kid just thinks differently about the information.

This is not my experience.