Menu

How to get on track for pre-algebra in 6th grade?

redquilthorse

OP, I am not familiar with the curriculum you use but one way to accelerate would be to use the most challenging curriculum you can stomach and spend more time on math. We have ended up accelerated even though my DS is not particularly gifted in math and not because I want to get at a certain point by a certain grade (for example: we are taking a 6 month break from math instruction to focus on his foreign language/immersion program). That said, here's how it went here: public school grade 1-4 (this was pre common core so really dreadful math instruction. Common core aligned curriculum was a vast improvement).we supplemented at home with Singapore standards, and CWP. We do "math-light" throughout the year with breaks only for international travel and certain camps (too physically tired!). We finished singapore 5a/b, and did some selected MM 6 and 7a. We only picked and chose here. We then did, in the same manner of picking and choosing but with all end chapter tests and review included all but 2 chapters of Lial's pre algebra. We also worked in alcumus, which was challenging as we did not use the AOPS books. Now he is wrapping up prealgebra with a Prealgebra 2 class with Aops. Besides a handful of chapters, there's little overlap. We do not know what we'll do after this class is over in June, but he should be ready for algebra by summer between his 5 and 6th. As I said, our progress stops because we take a 6 month break. Best of luck. I agree with you on parents taking a role, and I wish more people would talk about that and not get attacked for it.

You could always try Video Techs Algebra:A Complete Course. It's Pre-Algebra, Algebra I & II all in one. You work through 10 units of 176 lessons to complete the course. It is recommended for grades 6 and above.

We plan to start Dd in this next year. She does well in Math but HATES it. It's expensive, so we plan on doing it as a self-paced, streaming class one unit at a time for $52.

Edited to add: There site has an excellent explanation of all the different levels of Algebra, how they are traditionally taught, and why Algebra should not be broken up. If anything you should read that article to help you answer your original question. I think it will help immensely even if you don't purchase their curriculum. I'd link it, but am on my Kindle.

AoPS PreA is the same as any other PreA in terms of topics. It covers the topics to a much greater depth, but it is the exact same topics. This is the reason an AoPS kid can pass the same algebra class as a Saxon kid. The info is not different. The AoPS kid just thinks differently about the information.

My question would be, can the Saxon kid pass the same Algebra class as the AoPS kid.

I think after reading the replies here and in another thread, we will keep going with Bju but add CWP from Singapore. He is almost finished with Bju 4, so we can start 5 this semeter. So maybe we can accelerate using BJU or just end up a semester ahead, so he starts pre-A halfway through 6th grade. I will see how he does. I appreciate all of the input!