Menu

House guests and lunch

Moxie

I like to do something that I can place in the crockpot for everyone to eat when they are ready to.  Taco meat, sloppy joes, meatballs, pulled pork, and bbq beef are all good.  You just need buns, bread, tortillas, or shells and everyone can serve themselves when ready.  I also like to have sliced veggies and a large bowl of fruit for everyone to snack on as well.

I'd have sandwich makings available, for self-serve lunch, and a couple cartons of coleslaw or tater salad in the 'fridge, too.  Fruit and cut-up veggies.  If folks want more, they can go out or get take-out (I can have menus available). 

B'fast would be about the same, self-serve from available cereals, toast, bagels etc. as I really only cook dinner.

I like to do something that I can place in the crockpot for everyone to eat when they are ready to.  Taco meat, sloppy joes, meatballs, pulled pork, and bbq beef are all good.  You just need buns, bread, tortillas, or shells and everyone can serve themselves when ready.  I also like to have sliced veggies and a large bowl of fruit for everyone to snack on as well.

Yum!  I want to come visit.  I'm more like Marbel and don't know what to do for lunch EVER.  

When we visit MIL she always has a large pot of homemade soup.  We usually have soup and sandwich for lunch, or just soup.  Easy to heat up in microwave whenever anyone wants to eat.

Lunch is usually "out". We usually find ourselves out anyways, often the men/boys doing one thing and choosing somewhere to eat on their own, and the women/girls are shopping and eating out too. I do make sure there are sandwich fixings at home though, just in case someone happens to be there at lunch time or wants a midnight snack later.

Grill cheese and tomato soup with a little oregano, basil, and garlic powder added, turkey (deli meat) sandwiches with cranberry sauce with pretzels, bagel and cream cheese ham sandwiches and canteloupe, sloppy joes via crockpot with veggies and dip..just some of my company lunch go-tos.

Oven frittata:

Salute some kind of allium (onion, leek, shallots), about 3 cups pre-cooked.

Spray a 9x11 pan (I use glass) with cooking spray. Add alliums to the pan and spread evenly. Saute 4-5 cups of another veggie. I often use sliced mushrooms or broccoli in fall/winter. If you use mushrooms, saute long enough to get the water out.

Put most of the sautéed veggie in the pan and spread out, reserving some veggies for top of frittata.

Beat 10-11 eggs with a bit of cream (optional) and a TBSP of water (steam makes eggs fluffier.) Add 2 tsp salt. Add eggs to pan.

Sprinkle grated cheese on top. I often use Parmesan or Gruyere but cheddar works well with broccoli. Don't use the powdery cheese; it doesn't melt well.

Add reserved veggies on top.

Bake at 375 for ~ 20 minutes. It should puff up a bit and brown. Convection works well too; use 350 for that.

I usually make a salad while it's in the oven.

I can plan breakfasts and dinners but lunch has me stumped. Besides chips and sandwiches, what do you plan for lunches with guests?

Nothing. You get chips and sandwiches every day and you're grateful for it.

I will even go so far as to point out, when I'm visiting others, that we will help with sandwiches because "we love sandwiches".

Make it easy on people. Of course I wouldn't lie--we do love some sandwiches--but there's only so much you can ask of people.

Beyond that, organic canned soup, anyone? :D

Is this idea too radical?!?

Skip lunch.  Instead, serve a brunch around 9 am, serve a big linner around 3, and finish the day with dessert around 5 or 6 pm.  If anyone is hungry before or after linner, then they can snack on fruit or cut-up veggies.  If you're really hungry and want to spoil your appetite, then make a sandwich for yourself.

For me, too, form determines function - one-time guests, or staying for a day or two? Nicer fixings & well thought out. My family that is staying 10 days? Easy DIY sandwich stuff (most days) & lots of portable food, as we're likely to be out and about.

When my family stays with us for a long time (week or so), I do self-serve breakfasts and lunches, and just make dinners (and some of those I make ahead and / or use a crock pot); my goal is to enjoy the GUESTS, not spend hours and hours in my kitchen. I get stuff they like, and we keep it simple, and everyone is happy.

We do a lot of various burritos, wraps, and quesadillas with various filling for anyone who has kids.

Adults I normally plan salad, soups, or rice bowls with various veggie stir fry.

My son is a forager, so a big spread of fruit, veggies, bread, hummus, bean dip, and yogurt on the table work well. Some people do not consider this lunch if they are more traditional.

We have canned soup and sandwich meat available, but my mom is super-picky discerning about lunch meat, so we generally go out at least once.

They are coming today after lunch (split their 12 hour drive into two parts, TG), we will go out on Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day is an early afternoon dinner, so at least the next 3 days are taken care of.

I feel your pain.

Is this idea too radical?!?

Skip lunch.  Instead, serve a brunch around 9 am, serve a big linner around 3, and finish the day with dessert around 5 or 6 pm.  If anyone is hungry before or after linner, then they can snack on fruit or cut-up veggies.  If you're really hungry and want to spoil your appetite, then make a sandwich for yourself.

We do this in our home every saturday. Except the dessert part is popcorn and a TV show. 

We do a lot of various burritos, wraps, and quesadillas with various filling for anyone who has kids.

Adults I normally plan salad, soups, or rice bowls with various veggie stir fry.

My son is a forager, so a big spread of fruit, veggies, bread, hummus, bean dip, and yogurt on the table work well. Some people do not consider this lunch if they are more traditional.

This is what I prefer - just a bunch of stuff that goes together somewhat, and people can pick and choose what they like.   But yeah, some people end up feeling that they hadn't been properly fed, as if that is just appetizers.

Nothing. You get chips and sandwiches every day and you're grateful for it.

I like this because I feel that way as a guest.  I am grateful for whatever is there.  I would never presume to judge or look sideways at ANYTHING I was offered, because to me it's a bonus.  I am normally prepared to go to the store the first day I get anywhere and purchase cereal and milk, plus yogurt, granola, pb and j.

If a host wants to feed us, I am grateful.