Menu

Curious ... how has Palin as GOP VP affected your vote?

How has Palin as GOP VP affected your vote?  

1. 1. How has Palin as GOP VP affected your vote?

• I was going to vote for Obama--still am
    • I was going to vote for McCain--still am
    • I was going to vote for a third party candidate--still am
    • I was going to vote for Obama--now I'm voting for McCain
    • I was going to vote for McCain--now I'm voting for Obama
    • I was going to vote for a third party candidate--now I'm voting for McCain
    • Other

Hrmph. I voted wrong.

Move one of those votes from "3rd party and still intend to" up to "Mcain-was and still am". Of course, if my voting abilities were shown by my voting in this poll, who knows who I'll vote for :tongue_smilie:.

Anyway--I was voting for McCain because I felt he was the best option but I wasn't exactly jazzed about it, but now I'm thrilled to be voting for him.

Can you possibly add one more option?

This one? :willy_nilly:

I am no closer to knowing who to vote for then I was this morning. I like her. If it were a Palin/McCain ticket it might get my attention. But right now? No, it is still just old Mr. McCain running for president. yawn.

Can you possibly add one more option?

This one? :willy_nilly:

I am no closer to knowing who to vote for then I was this morning. I like her. If it were a Palin/McCain ticket it might get my attention. But right now? No, it is still just old Mr. McCain running for president. yawn.

I'm curious as to why you would not vote for McCain as he is the pro-life candiate. Or is there more to the issue than that for you?:001_smile:

Edit: The pro-life stance was the only reason that McC was getting my vote, but now with Palin, I will cast my vote gladly.

I've not made a decision. While I disagree with much of his agenda, I hadn't ruled out McCain entirely. Now, knowing his VP choice (which of course came as no surprise), I can say with certainty that I won't vote for him. Which is not to say I've thrown my weight behind Obama; I haven't.

I'm curious as to why you would not vote for McCain as he is the pro-life candiate. Or is there more to the issue than that for you?:001_smile:

Edit: The pro-life stance was the only reason that McC was getting my vote, but now with Palin, I will cast my vote gladly.

McCain hasn't really taken a pro-life stance. It's why my mother refuses to vote for him.

1) I don't think he is as pro-life as people assume. Please don't ask me for a link because I don't think I know where I read this; but he made a statement that he did not wish to overturn Roe V Wade. So, pro-life? I'm not seeing it.

2) There is more to being pro-life than stopping abortions. You have got give the mothers a way to birth the child and raise him/her and/or make adoption easier and more affordable. You can't just say "No abortion for you!" and then leave the mothers to flounder.

3) I think if we are going to place a high value on human life, we need to place a high value on ALL human life. This includes unborn children, people who can't afford their medications, soldiers who are dying for a dubious cause, even the lives of citizens in countries where we have decided to be an invading force....all life should be seen as precious and none of it should be squandered.

Mr. McCain is not pro-life enough for me. If Mr. Obama would create an atmosphere that reduces the number of abortions performed, something Mr. Bush never accomplished, then at the end of the day who did the most to save the lives of babies?

This the the circle going around in my tortured brain these days.

Because there was no "I was going to vote 3rd party and am considering a change, but don't know yet for sure because I'm hoping she's a Ron Paul Republican but need to read up on her more, besides she's the VP not the P, so *I* don't know ..."

That's what I would have voted for. If it had been there.

I really don't know who I'm voting for yet (picked other), but today was exciting simply because to me it came out of left field. I've since come to realize a number of people guessed it would be her, e.g. Bill Kristol. I will enjoy getting to know Sarah Palin over the next few months.

My vote won't count for much because I live in a state that is mostly full of Democrats. But I'm going to vote anyway because it is always interesting to see how many people voted Republican.

I am an independent voter. I had planned to vote for McCain, even though I don't agree with him on at least one major issue, because I don't like Obama, not even a little bit.

I am thrilled that McCain chose a female VP candidate, though, and I am eager to learn more about her. This has made me interested in the election. I thought he'd choose Romney.

RC

I really don't know who I'm voting for yet (picked other), but today was exciting simply because to me it came out of left field.

On the other hand, it struck me as predictable. Last week I was online, reading about a half dozen or more of McCain's potential veep picks, and Palin seemed like the obvious choice.

I was going to vote for McCain, but wished I had a better alternative. Having Palin with him cements my vote.

In case, God forbid, McCain dies I think Palin will make a great President.

I think she will be beneficial in Washington. I don't think she'll just sit around and wait out her term. I like where she stand politically.

I hope she runs and wins in 2012. Being VP definitely gets her foot in the door.

On the other hand, it struck me as predictable. Last week I was online, reading about a half dozen or more of McCain's potential veep picks, and Palin seemed like the obvious choice.

Right, like I said in the second part of my post, I have since come to realize a number of people guessed Sarah Palin.

I thought there was a sort of dream-like, well this would be awesome, but it ain't gonna happen quality to much of that prognostication. I never believed it. That is why I was so floored today. He did a good job of not letting it leak until it suited his purposes. I really think most Republicans and conservatives are genuinely surprised. I just knew it was going to be Romney, or Crist, or Ridge, etc.

My vote won't count for much because I live in a state that is mostly full of Democrats. But I'm going to vote anyway because it is always interesting to see how many people voted Republican.

RC

I grew up in Alaska and many of us felt our presidential votes didn't matter. The state has three electoral votes and many times they announce the winner before our polls even close! Same thing with Hawaii. It's very annoying to think you've braved winter weather to go vote and then no one cares how you voted! :tongue_smilie:

I have long planned to write in the candidate of my choice (Ron Paul), but I am far more interested in the Republican ticket now. It would still be a big stretch for me because I disagree with McCain on some key issues. But I will be paying closer attention to this race now, even though my state will almost certainly go overwhelmingly for Obama.

3) I think if we are going to place a high value on human life, we need to place a high value on ALL human life. This includes unborn children, people who can't afford their medications, soldiers who are dying for a dubious cause, even the lives of citizens in countries where we have decided to be an invading force....all life should be seen as precious and none of it should be squandered.

Mr. McCain is not pro-life enough for me. If Mr. Obama would create an atmosphere that reduces the number of abortions performed, something Mr. Bush never accomplished, then at the end of the day who did the most to save the lives of babies?

This the the circle going around in my tortured brain these days.

I thought this was very well-stated. It often seems to me that the folks that feel so strongly about Pro-Life are also strong supporters of the the Iraqi War. Are unborn babies more precious than Iraqi citizens, or folks on death row? It would seem to me that Life being precious should be an absolute.

I agree that all life is precious.

Alexandra

My vote for McCain was simply going to be a vote against Obama. That was the way I was looking at it.

I shudder when Obama says this sort of thing: "Ours is a promise that says government cannot solve all our problems,

but what it should do is that which we cannot do for ourselves--

protect us from harm and provide every child a decent education;"

Now that McCain chose Palin, I'm happy to cast a vote *for* McCain. I no longer see it as just a vote against Obama.

ETA: My posts never go where they're supposed to go. This should be under the OP. Ah well.

I shudder when Obama says this sort of thing: "Ours is a promise that says government cannot solve all our problems,

but what it should do is that which we cannot do for ourselves--

protect us from harm and provide every child a decent education;"

May I ask, and I am sincere in wondering here, why that particular quote causes you concern?

I am sure Mr. Obama has probably said many things that would bother me, but the government has been in the education business for a long time. So I sort of expect politicians to promise a decent education. I don't expect them to provide it, but I think most of them promise it.

May I ask, and I am sincere in wondering here, why that particular quote causes you concern?

I am sure Mr. Obama has probably said many things that would bother me, but the government has been in the education business for a long time. So I sort of expect politicians to promise a decent education. I don't expect them to provide it, but I think most of them promise it.

The way I read it, it seems to me that he doesn't think a person has the ability to provide their children with a decent education without government intervention. I suppose if the democratic party had a history of supporting a parent's right to educate their own child without intervention, I wouldn't read the quote that way, but it seems to me that staying hands-off in regards to homeschooling is not high on their priority list. I have no problems whatsoever with government providing public education for parents who choose that route. I just don't want anyone thinking I can't provide an education for my own children without their help.

I'm really sorry, Kelli. I would love to continue this discussion with you, but we have a dairy barn to build today. If I can come back this evening, I will.

Are unborn babies more precious than Iraqi citizens, or folks on death row? It would seem to me that Life being precious should be an absolute.

I agree that all life is precious.

Alexandra

And what about the lives that will be saved by stem cell research? And the women's lives that are saved by having abortions?

The way I read it, it seems to me that he doesn't think a person has the ability to provide their children with a decent education without government intervention.

I don't read it that way at all!

I take it to mean that he is aware of educational inequality in the public school system and believes the government has a responsibility to remedy it.

Ever read Savage Inequalities or The Shame of a Nation?

The realities are just heartbreaking.

That's what he's talking about.

I would have held my nose and voted McCain. Now I'm excited to vote and hope that McCain chooses to only run one term. From what we know of Palin (and I know it's not a lot), she is just the type I'd like to see as President.

I see her not as a Republican, but rather as someone who thinks that "doing the right thing" is more important than party loyalty. That's why I like her.

As far as being a heartbeat away from the Presidency goes, I would rather have someone like her rather than more of the same old thing that we would get with Biden. Biden *isn't* change.

I was going to vote for McCain, but wished I had a better alternative. Having Palin with him cements my vote.

In case, God forbid, McCain dies I think Palin will make a great President.

I think she will be beneficial in Washington. I don't think she'll just sit around and wait out her term. I like where she stand politically.

I hope she runs and wins in 2012. Being VP definitely gets her foot in the door.

Why? Why would she make a good president? Because she believes what you believe? Wouldn't that qualify half the board here to be president? I'm sorry, but based upon McCain's own words, she's not qualified. For the last few months he's stated, over and over and over again that the single most important quality for a vice president is that they be ready to step in to the presidency should something happen to the president. Well Mr. John McCain, 72-year old cancer survivor... you've picked a running mate who a year and a half ago was the mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, a town of 8,500 people. That's not qualified to be president of the United States of America. So... it can't go both ways... If Obama is unqualified, as McCain claims and many of the folks on this board seem to agree... then Palin isn't qualified. No matter how much you may wish to make "executive" experience mean more than being a United States senator. Running a state like Massachusetts... that's executive experience. Running a state like Alaska... that's not executive experience and certainly not for a year and a half. So tell me again why being pro-life is enough to make one qualified to be president?