I find these are really easy, and a favorite around here:

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs

1/2 cup of flour

2 tsp. baking powder

1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)

1/2 softened butter

1 1/2 cups coconut flakes

2 cups white chocolate chips

mix it all together in a big bowl (I used my mixer with the paddle attachment), drop by spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet and bake at 375 F for 7-9 minutes.

THIS! Trust me. The hardest part is finding the candied cherries. Most stores stick them in produce with the bulk nuts. It's a refrigerator cookie. This means you roll into a log, then slice into rounds once chilled. The cherries make them pretty enough for holiday exchange with no decorating on your part. EASY!

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cherry-pecan-icebox-cookies

Really, really idiot proof:

1 chocolate cake mix

1/2 cup oil

2 eggs

bag of peanut butter chips

Bake at 350 10 minutes-ish

Slightly more challenging...

The origional Nestle Toll House recipe. Use Crisco. Don't over bake. Winner Winner Eat a Salad for Dinner.

Out of the box... Easy... Just follow the times... INSANELY yummy... Saltine Toffee

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/saltine-toffee-cookies/

Cinnamon Sugar Cookies

1 cup butter

1/2 cup brown sugar

2 1/4 cup flour

mix then chill a while

roll into balls then press with fork

bake at 375 for 10-12 min

cool on rack then roll in sugar cinnamon mix

1/2 c sugar

1/2 tsp cinnamon

Take a small pretzel (I like the waffle ones best but you can use any shape)  Line baking pan with wax paper or parchment paper or aluminum foil. Place one Rolo candy on each.  Bake at 325 for 2-3 minutes just until candy starts to melt.  Remove from oven and press a pecan half or M&M into each one, pushing down so the candy spreads across the pretzel somewhat.  You could also use different nuts on top if you prefer.

I really like two-ingredient cookies.  One boxed cake mix (any flavor, but I'm partial to Spice cake) and one can of pumpkin.  Mix and drop by spoonful onto a cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 for 11-13 minutes. Yummy pumpkin cookies!  You can even frost them if you want to, but they're delicious all by themselves.

Laura, I doubt you can get easier than thishttp://www.mykitchentable.co.uk/index.php/2011/09/mary-berry-fork-biscuits/ Mary Berry recipe. I haven't tried it but when I bake in "British" (with scales) I like her recipes best. Her Lemon Drizzle traybake is incredibly good and reasonably easy but probably not the best for a cookie exchange.

ETA link for Lemon Drizzlehttp://www.maryberry.co.uk/recipes/baking/lemon-drizzle-traybake

I think pretzel modifications are the easiest. In addition to the one above you could take small pretzels and melt a Hershey's Kiss (or small amount of darker chocolate chips) on top. Press in an M&M. Or dip in melted chocolate (either in a bowl over simmering water or in 20 second intervals in the microwave) and sprinkle with pieces of candy cane. Or lay out on parchment on a cookie sheet, dollop of peanut butter, a few chocolate chips over 1 or 2 of the holes, salt lightly, heat at 250 or 300 until chocolate melts. 

Peanut clusters are the easiest thing I make: Melt some chocolate chips (carefully, stirring often, do not burn) in the microwave. Stir in a jar of peanuts. Spoon whatever size blobs you want (bite-size or a bit bigger) onto a foil-covered cookie sheet and cool (I pop them into the fridge). When they are cold, just pull them off the foil and put them into a container.

Peanut clusters are the easiest thing I make: Melt some chocolate chips (carefully, stirring often, do not burn) in the microwave. Stir in a jar of peanuts. Spoon whatever size blobs you want (bite-size or a bit bigger) onto a foil-covered cookie sheet and cool (I pop them into the fridge). When they are cold, just pull them off the foil and put them into a container.

These are good! I use salted peanuts.

Make peanut butter cookies. Don't press them flat with the tines of a fork, just leave them as balls when you bake. Roll the balls in sugar. When they are done, add an unwrapped chocolate kiss to the hot cookie.

They are called Peanut Blossoms, and they are my favorite Christmas cookie!

You can even do them just with a box mix.

Peanut Butter Kisses

Peanut Butter Kisses

2 cups peanut butter (18 oz. jar)

1 ¼ c. sugar

2 eggs, beaten

48 (approximately) Hershey Kisses, unwrapped

By hand, with a wooden spoon, mix together peanut butter, sugar and eggs until well combined.

Roll dough into small balls or use a small cookie scoop.

Bake at 350F for 14 – 16 minutes. Tops of cookies will appear dry and crackled.

Remove from oven and immediately press on Kiss into the top of each cookie. Let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes then remove to wire rack to cool completely.

Can make without Kisses. Before baking, use fork to make crisscross patterns in cookies. Bake as above.

Makes approximately 4 dozen cookies.

What chocolate chips do you use for the Peanut Clusters, semi-sweet or milk chocolate or ??

Thanks

I think I usually mix one white chocolate bag with one semi-sweet bag and add one jar of peanuts. I just wing it. You could just as easily use just one kind of chips, whatever kind you prefer. I'd probably pick milk chocolate if I were just using a single kind.

Laura, I doubt you can get easier than thishttp://www.mykitchentable.co.uk/index.php/2011/09/mary-berry-fork-biscuits/ Mary Berry recipe. I haven't tried it but when I bake in "British" (with scales) I like her recipes best. Her Lemon Drizzle traybake is incredibly good and reasonably easy but probably not the best for a cookie exchange.

ETA link for Lemon Drizzlehttp://www.maryberry.co.uk/recipes/baking/lemon-drizzle-traybake

The Lemon Drizzle traybake sounds super yummy. :)

What consistency are the tray bakes? I've never heard that word before. Are they like brownies? Or bar cookies? Or shortbread? Or something else I'm completely unaware of? :-)

I was coming to say Anzacs too. The kids can make them.

I was going to give our recipe but remembered the measures are different there.

This http://grandmaabson.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/try-famous-anzac-biscuits.html is the only Anzac Biscuit recipe I have ever tried. Is it the same as yours? Really yummy....

What consistency are the tray bakes? I've never heard that word before. Are they like brownies? Or bar cookies? Or shortbread? Or something else I'm completely unaware of? :-)

My definition of traybake is from experience, basically cooked in our equivalent of a 9 by 13. Sometimes people refer to casseroles in that sixe pan as traybakes. I have pretty much started calling most bar cookies by the name traybake so people know I am bringing something pre cut in nice squares or rectangles. Brownies would be considered a traybake but most know what they are so don't need to specify traybake with them. :)

The recipes on the above linked website are quite good and authentic. The author of the website is a fascinating speaker and a great cook. She has worked hard testing her Grandmother's recipes from her years in service.

I bake a lot. At least one batch of biscuits a week. I have two recipes:

ANZAC Biscuits (these are never, ever cookies!)

Wet ingredients

125 grams butter, melted

2 tablespoons golden syrup

2 tablespoons of boiling water

Half teasp bicarb soda

Dry Ingredients

1cups rolled oats (flat not steel cut)

1 cup plain flower

3/4 cup sugar

3/4 cup coconut

Mix dry ingredients. Melt butter, add golden syrup. Add bicarb to boiling water, and quickly add to butter mixture while its fizzing. Add wet volcano to dry ingredients and mix. Roll into balls, flatten, and place on greased baking tray (should make about 20). If the mixture is dry and difficult to work with, add a little bit of water. Bake at 170 C till golden and chewy. Don't burn them cos Rosie is right- they taste bloody awful!

Basic biscuits

125g butter

1/2 - 3/4 cup castor sugar

1 egg

1 3/4 cups SR flour.

Cream butter and sugar (you can melt the butter if its too cold to cream it). Beat in egg. Fold in flour. Add whatever else tickles your fancy: chopped nuts, choc chips, sultanas, currants and allspice, cinnamon, whatever. Roll into balls, flatten and place on greased baking trays. Bake 170 C till golden.

Variations: swap half the butter for peanut butter.

Add oats, coco or coconut instead of some of flour.

Add the juice and zest of a lime, and a some coconut.

Add the juice of a lemon and some almond meal.

Sprinkle coloured sugar over plain biscuits.

Make a dent in the top of the biscuits with your thumb. Bake for 5 mins. Fill the dents with jam. Bake till golden.