Menu

Cash for Christmas

Night Elf

I've asked my teens to begin a Christmas list. Each one said they wanted cash. I don't mind giving cash, but I want them to have some gifts to unwrap. And my ds18 likes surprises. There isn't anything I can surprise him with. This will be the first Christmas since he was a toddler that we aren't going to give him Lego sets. That was my surprise last year because we weren't sure if he would have the room for something new so he didn't ask for anything. I wasn't ready to give up a tradition, but this year I am. He's a minimalist. I hate giving clothes because I buy them throughout the year. I miss them being young so I could give toys and books. None of them are readers anymore. Why is it so hard to buy gifts for my teen and young adults?

My late dad gave cash to kids and grandkids. For grandkids he'd put the cash with a treat, usually a box of granola bars, and then wrap the whole thing in bubble wrap! My dad was great! I miss him.

Could you tuck cash into several small or consumable gifts?

Favorite treats

Unusual food (world market is a great store for this)

A pair of silly socks (i like Target for this)

A funny T-shirt (I like mental floss and think geek)

An issue of mental floss magazine (with cash between the pages)

I'm right there with you. My adult kids have jobs and disposable income and it's just not as easy as when they were little and had a Christmas wish list.   We've moved towards giving cash sometimes, and have increased the experiences we do during the season. We spend a day in Chicago at the Christkindlmarket and our kids love that tradition. It's the same every year but they still love it- eating latkes and drinking Gluhwein in the freezing cold, picking out a beautiful German glass ornament...they still love it. Is there a day out event that you can do to enjoy the season without it being a tangible gift?

I'm just not an exceptional gift-giver. I wish I had that skill but I don't.  So I'll be listening to suggestions. 

We mail gifts to our oldest two and the grandchildren so I really hate to spend more on postage than the gift, which is what often happens when we send consumables like favorite treat foods. 

How about some of their favorite foods that they don't have often?  That way it's consumable so won't be a huge issue for the minimalist and they still get the fun of opening up some gifts.  Food baskets from my mom was always my favorite gift, aside from cash, after  a certain point because she knew my food tastes better than anyone else. 

Or just wrap some small bills in a bunch of difference boxes just as a fun joke gift.  

Just because you buy clothing through the year doesn't mean you can't give clothing as a gift. I found each of our adult kiddoes a neat piece of clothing last year in addition to some cash.

We shifted to cash for Christmas a few years ago. It just simplifies things for the young adult types. But...I do like giving a few gifts. This year it will be cash, some personalized tee shirts, and Fitbits for everyone. A few foodie and grooming type things in the stockings-- who knows what else I'll find. I want to see Unbroken as a family so some movie passes will be in the stocking.

Also, wrapping the cash in creative ways is fun. Treasure hunts can be fun...

Unfortunately, we don't have any Christmas traditions of going to any type of activity. None of us are interested in driving to see lights. We use an artificial tree so going to pick out a tree together doesn't work. And we're not religious, so we don't have services we can attend. We do put up our tree together. I know the kids look forward to that every year. We have Playmobil and Lego Advent sets that I put out each year. For the last several years, the kids act like they are too old for them, so I tell them I'll open the boxes because I like to build the sets over the month. And every year they end up opening the boxes and enjoying it. I find that funny.

If there are any good movies, I'll see if I can organize a trip. My ds18 has Aspergers and doesn't like loud sounds so he never goes to the movies. He wouldn't mind a trip to the frozen yogurt place though. Or Haagen Daz. Those are things we rarely do. They are way expensive for that type of food when I can go to Dairy Queen and spend a lot less.

Every year, I complain on this board about how Christmases just aren't the same with older children. So I guess I'm getting it done early. :tongue_smilie:

We have all teens here now, too.

I no longer stress out about spending The Budget Allotment for each kid.

I tuck in a $5 into 4 little treats (food, dollar store, etc.) = $20.

I also took 20 ones and hid them in the books in a single bookcase.

Mainly, I want the kids to have a FUN moment opening the gift . . . but I have no desire to waste money or to shop for that mysterious "Perfect Gift" that even they don't know they want!

I'd follow their request, but present the money in a creative way.

What about a trip somewhere? It could be just a day trip, or maybe overnight. We did a two day trip to NYC a couple of years ago. We drove in, went ice skating in Central Park, MFA, went to Union Market etcetera We really enjoyed ourselves. When I had more patience, I took them skating at Rockefeller Center. That was about  several years ago. I can't imagine waiting in that line again. lol
What about a new restaurant, or even a local Chinese buffet place ? My kids, god help me, love those .

Our budget is so tight ot squeaks. There is just nothing leftover for gifts. Plus, as teens what they do want is not really in the budget.

Last year I scraped together a movie theater gift card a small box of gourmet chocolate and a little bit of cash. This year will be a repeat.

You know, you are right...It does get harder to keep that magical spark in the holiday celebrations as they get older.

Consider going ahead and making some new traditions.  Simple things that are easy to do, like everyone gets jammies (or other clothing), and you take a picture.  Hot coco in special mugs with homemade marshmallows, make cookies, fudge or some other delicious goodies are always a magnet for  time together.  (Even for the ones who don't enjoy the kitchen time, the enjoying the goodies together can make for a special time together.)  You can also be secret Elves for someone in need. 

Oh, and I would put the money in new wallets or purses.  You get to open a gift and you get to go shopping together to purchase things during the after sales.

How about some of their favorite foods that they don't have often?  That way it's consumable so won't be a huge issue for the minimalist and they still get the fun of opening up some gifts.  Food baskets from my mom was always my favorite gift, aside from cash, after  a certain point because she knew my food tastes better than anyone else. 

Or just wrap some small bills in a bunch of difference boxes just as a fun joke gift.  

This is what we do with older nieces and nephews.  It is actually a lot of un putting together small baskets of "treats" based on their likes - and finding something new for them is the best!

There are lots of great ideas for creative ways to give money gifts on Pinterest.

Susan in TX

Annoying. When I tried to look at the page, a black screen that filled nearly half of the website showed up wanting me to sign in with Facebook or sign up with an email. I don't know why these sites have to do such things.

You could buy the Lego advent calendar? Even some of my friends without kids buy them.

Think about some practical and/or fun gifts, then add cash and/or gift cards. Like, sticking cash in the fingers of a pair of gloves?

Gift cards for movies or their favorite restaurant might be fun.

Paying for a fun adventure for the family might be fun? Are there any concerts, plays or anything like that they might like tickets to?

How about season passes/tickets for something they enjoy?

I've asked my teens to begin a Christmas list. Each one said they wanted cash. I don't mind giving cash, but I want them to have some gifts to unwrap. And my ds18 likes surprises. There isn't anything I can surprise him with. This will be the first Christmas since he was a toddler that we aren't going to give him Lego sets. That was my surprise last year because we weren't sure if he would have the room for something new so he didn't ask for anything. I wasn't ready to give up a tradition, but this year I am. He's a minimalist. I hate giving clothes because I buy them throughout the year. I miss them being young so I could give toys and books. None of them are readers anymore. Why is it so hard to buy gifts for my teen and young adults?

I'm in the same boat, especially with our 18 year old son.  Our 16 year old son will give us plenty of ideas but the 18 year old is hopeless. :)

My late dad gave cash to kids and grandkids. For grandkids he'd put the cash with a treat, usually a box of granola bars, and then wrap the whole thing in bubble wrap! My dad was great! I miss him.

Could you tuck cash into several small or consumable gifts?

Favorite treats

Unusual food (world market is a great store for this)

A pair of silly socks (i like Target for this)

A funny T-shirt (I like mental floss and think geek)

An issue of mental floss magazine (with cash between the pages)

Great ideas! Thanks!

There are lots of great ideas for creative ways to give money gifts on Pinterest.

Susan in TX

You have officially save my life and I'll love you forever for this link.  Thank you!!  Now I'm actually excited about the 18 year old's Christmas!

I have young adult kids. We don't do a lot for Christmas, its habit from past lean years and it stuck. Some ideas I have from gifts given to my ds are gift cards to his favorite hang out places, such as movies and restaurants. On years he requests cash, I wrap things he needs for example, socks, a cheap dvd he likes, etc. Last year he wanted a tv for his room, he put up other gift money (grandparent sends money), we sale shopped, and got a sweet deal, so was happy that was all he got (I did wrap a few cheap things so he could unwrap presents). Most years, we set a budget, and dc load up my Amazon cart with things they want (usually books, CDs, DVDs), they know most of what they are getting with a few surprises, but this way I know they are getting things they like. None of us like getting "stuff" for the sake of getting it. It just clutters up the house.

I've wrapped up cash before.  I folded a bill, using Origami, into a shirt complete with tie.  If you google it, you'll find instructions.  Then I put the shirt/tie into a little jewelry size box & wrapped it up.  I found a site that used bills to create a wreath.  That was another cute idea that I also wrapped.  If you are really creative, you could create a silly poem to go with each. 

I'd love to do a destination trip, but there is just no good place for us to go that we would all look forward to. DH and I have talked about vacations, but they are just so hard to plan. We go to Wisconsin every summer. I'd love to go spend Christmas there, but DH hates the snow.

I think I'll look for some graphic tshirts. I like the idea of putting cash into something that fits into their stockings.I like to bake. I'll have them each choose a favorite cookie/pie/cake. We do have a Christmas dinner and we all have things we like. When the kids were little, I let them each choose a favorite food. We'd end up with one dinner that had spaghetti, pizza, and chicken nuggets. That was fun! I wonder if they'd like to do that again this year instead of going with the traditional ham and mashed potatoes.

DH has a coworker with a hard-to-shop-for spouse who still likes having presents to unwrap. The coworker buys his wife clothing in ridiculous sizes from a shop she loves, just buying until he reaches the $$ amount he wants, and provides gift receipts. She then gets to go returning and shopping, which she loves to do.

I have so often given DH permission to order in his own presents, since his techie stuff can be so tricky. I told him this year I might like the same consideration.

MIL is hard to shop for, and both MIL and FIL like everyone to take turns opening presents one at a time. One year she needed a few new spatulas and wooden spoons. We bought a lot (she's now set for life), and set up an assembly line to individually box them (in different size boxes, with rocks or pennies for weight and rattle) and wrap them. We got a bit ahead of ourselves and one box got wrapped empty. Biggest Christmas surprise ever! She was mostly through unwrapping all of those presents when she got to that one!

Does this give you any ideas?

When my husband moved out of the house and was going to college, his parents gave him gift cards to various places (Some grocery, Eddie Bauer, etc) and his grandmother sent a nice sweater.  After we were married, they started just sending a check that we could save or use as we wish. Both were quite appreciated. DH still wears the sweaters when it gets cold enough though his grandmother's been dead 6 years now.

Our family tradition has turned into day after Christmas shopping... Which I find myself wanting to do even when I don't really have any money or anything I need to buy... So I try to save some stuff I "need" for then. And I appreciate money to spend!

Before I was married, I did discover a Christmas that was ALL money was no fun. I wanted at least a few surprises to unwrap under the tree. Even if they were cheap CDs, Candy boxes (I have fond memories of Life Saver boxes when we were kids in our stocking). etc.

When my husband moved out of the house and was going to college, his parents gave him gift cards to various places (Some grocery, Eddie Bauer, etc) and his grandmother sent a nice sweater.  After we were married, they started just sending a check that we could save or use as we wish. Both were quite appreciated. DH still wears the sweaters when it gets cold enough though his grandmother's been dead 6 years now.

Our family tradition has turned into day after Christmas shopping... Which I find myself wanting to do even when I don't really have any money or anything I need to buy... So I try to save some stuff I "need" for then. And I appreciate money to spend!

Before I was married, I did discover a Christmas that was ALL money was no fun. I wanted at least a few surprises to unwrap under the tree. Even if they were cheap CDs, Candy boxes (I have fond memories of Life Saver boxes when we were kids in our stocking). etc.

DHs mother also gave him sweaters every year. She has good taste and he was set for a while. She then took a break for a decade because he had so many. I may have to hint that it's time to start up again :-)

That was my son, from Legos to minimalist in one year!  :)  He is still hard to shop for, and I rarely think of anything ahead of time.  But, sometimes things just jump out at me that I never thought about (or even heard about), and I think "That's perfect!"

Check out this site for new product inventions.  They have things in every price range, and I've gotten some good, fun gift ideas from them.

https://www.thegrommet.com/landing/collections2?utm_source=google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Google_Search_Alpha_General_Brand&utm_keyword=grommet&c3apiks=05be4cb9-2238-9349-9a94-00001a56a32e&gclid=CMrag8m-rMECFeZAMgodGywAQQ