Menu

Is there not an Ebola in Dallas thread yet?

staceyobu

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you not talking then about the humble Sloppy Joe?

:svengo:     Chili w/o beans =  Sloppy Joe ?????   Never.

Chili has nowhere near the sweetness of sloppy joe, if it has any at all--if chili has any sweetener added to it, that's a gourmet/cook-specific thing, not part of traditional "chili."  Traditional chili does not have green pepper either, although you'll find it made that way by the occasional cook and by Wendy's.

I just want to address the misconception that Texas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska are the same state. Nebraska is far superior to those other places. Far superior. We have fancy things like corn and soybeans. Also, our panhandle is bigger that those other tiny little wannabe panhandles. Plus, we have Runza. Do those other heathen places have Runzas? No! Have any of their state senators tried to sue God? No! Do those back words states have anything as awesome as our Unicameral?!?! Not. Even. Kinda. Do their state capitals look like giant male appendages sticking out of the prairie? Nope. I'll concede the BBQ argument. Everything else Nebraska wins. Except football. Louisiana wins that argument.

Clearly you have taken too much cold medicine.

OK...Jinnah is going to put that on her tombstone.

Will that make you happy?

"Here Lies Jinnah

She Said to Quarantine Africa

Which She Knows is a Continent

But Then Later Clarified...Just the Countries that Have Ebola"

Oh great, why not bring something up that was resolved 15 pages ago?

I posted that, which I already said more than once, because she was complaining about posts in the other thread and she was also complaining about people not being able to read when she was the one in error.

So rather than jump in the end of the thread to complain about something earlier in the thread why don't you read the whole thing before being cranky at someone? 

Current Texan, but not by birth. I've only lived here for 9 years, but two of my children were born here.

I'm Arkansan by birth and there is no love lost between my home state and Texas either. Dh is from Oklahoma so sometimes it feels like we are both living in enemy territory.

I will say a few things about Texas from an outsiders perspective:

1) I've never met people who are more proud to be from a state before. It's kind of creepy and fascinating all at the same time. Do they have a class in school to teach the Texas patriotism or do they give you some kind of shot when you are born here labeled "Texas Pride"?

2) Totally agree with Texas on the beans in the chili issue. Beans in chili are gross. Although the way they eat chili in Texas is weird to me. They eat it over rice (at least where I'm at around Houston). In Arkansas we always had cornbread with chili, but people think I'm weird for eating it that way here in Texas.

3) Totally disagree with Texas about the meat that should be BBQ. While beef brisket is AMAZING, I still hold special love for BBQ pork ribs. I mean seriously. It's like bread and butter, pb&j, and Hall and Oates; pork just goes with BBQ. However, having grown up in Arkansas, I love me some Memphis dry rub and some really great Texas BBQ sauce both. I also like the vinegary North Carolina BBQ that I had when I visited the Outer Banks about 10 years ago. I was the only person in my family to like it though.

4) And the Texas shaped waffles make me laugh every time I stay at a hotel here.

5) I love the multicultural exposure that my kids get living in Houson though. I know a lot of parts of Texas aren't as diverse as the Houston area, but my kids are so used to seeing women wearing hajibs, full Indian saris, and various other religious and ethnic clothing that they don't even bat an eye. I love that. 

ETA: As for Nebraska, the best steak I've ever had in my life was in Nebraska. *whisper* Don't tell the Texans. *whisper*

This evening, I cut my hand on dh's soup can in the trash, let it bleed, used some betadine swabs I got from my friend who is the director at the Humane Society, glued the edges together with superglue, applied bactroban and put two band aids on it.

Only in Texas. Clearly.

I also have a veterinary medical staple gun I am itching to use, but it was not that deep. Plus it's hard to staple yourself so there's that.

So putting together the details in several different news stories: 

The guy inadvertently rides in a taxi with a pregnant lady who is extremely ill w/ ebola, helps carry her into the hospital even, holding her legs. (Let's say that in the moment he is a compassionate guy and does something humanitarian.)  We find out the she promptly dies, even though he may not know that.  He has been working as a chauffeur and disappears suddenly--without a trace--and does not notify his employer who knows nothing about where the man has gone until he sees news reports from the US identifying the man as being Ebola-Dallas Patient Zero.   EDPZ hops a plane not letting his employer know where he has gone, comes to the US and stays with relatives and interacts with quite a few people including children. When he does get sick, he goes to the hospital and tells a worker where he has been, but he is not admitted.  He then goes home to his family again, and, well, you know the rest of the story.

I'm sorry, but this man cannot be a stone-age person who doesn't understand germ theory, given his ability to drive a car, use a passport, travel transoceanically, etc.  I have to say that I find his actions reprehensible.  If he felt he needed to come to the US to give him the best chance if he were to get sick, the minute he started symptoms, he should have high-tailed it to the hospital and made a huge scene.  

THIS is what concerns me.  People look out for themselves and do not *think* of how their actions will affect others.  All the kings horses...

Oh great, why not bring something up that was resolved 15 pages ago?

I posted that, which I already said more than once, because she was complaining about posts in the other thread and she was also complaining about people not being able to read when she was the one in error.

So rather than jump in the end of the thread to complain about something earlier in the thread why don't you read the whole thing before being cranky at someone?

15 pages? Huh, my reply is on page 7. I'm not quite sure what is happening but it looks like I'm missing a vast number of pages in this thread.

Anyhow, I'm not cranky. I'm just practicing writing my fake tombstone inscriptions, it being so close to Halloween.

Oh, we eat it! Just not over rice. We eat leftover rice, too, just not with chili.

We will put leftover chili over rice without thinking twice.  We also make chili-mac on purpose.  Leftover chili also gets put into a beef-stock-based soup.  Chili is versatile!  Love it!

We will put leftover chili over rice without thinking twice. We also make chili-mac on purpose. Leftover chili also gets put into a beef-stock-based soup. Chili is versatile! Love it!

It is quite versatile. We mostly just warm it up and eat it as is. Try it over tamales with cheese. Mmmmmm...

I was born and raised in Texas as were my parents and grandparents as far back as I can go and we put beans in our chili. I've never known it any other way. We serve it with cornbread (I actually don't know that I've ever had a meal with beans that didn't also have cornbread). If it matters, we were all from either just outside of Dallas or east near Nacogdoches.

We will put leftover chili over rice without thinking twice.  We also make chili-mac on purpose.  Leftover chili also gets put into a beef-stock-based soup.  Chili is versatile!  Love it!

Same here, but chili over rice is ONLY for left-over chili.  And it has to have cheese.

I was born and raised in Texas as were my parents and grandparents as far back as I can go and we put beans in our chili. I've never known it any other way. We serve it with cornbread (I actually don't know that I've ever had a meal with beans that didn't also have cornbread). If it matters, we were all from either just outside of Dallas or east near Nacogdoches.

Making a guess that the East Texas influence is at play.  I could be wrong, but that is my gut guess.

Pssssh.  Beans are what happens when you are from east Texas.  Nuff said.

JKJKJK

15 pages? Huh, my reply is on page 7. I'm not quite sure what is happening but it looks like I'm missing a vast number of pages in this thread.

Anyhow, I'm not cranky. I'm just practicing writing my fake tombstone inscriptions, it being so close to Halloween.

I think there is a way to adjust the number of posts per page, so people with different settings would have different numbers of pages.

Is it weird that I just realized I posted about chili and beans in the Ebola thread? I got caught up reading, responded, and then had a :huh: moment when someone quoted me in this thread. This place is awesome! :coolgleamA:

Only one banned recipe involving chili.  I will NOT make nor eat that goosh-awful Frito Pie ! ! !  I endured that as a child in the late 1950s, early 1960s more than I care to remember.

http://www.houstoniamag.com/eat-and-drink/articles/the-complicated-history-of-the-frito-pie-january-2014

I grew up at horse shows pretty much every weekend so I ate it often as well. I still make it about once a year because I'm feeling nostalgic and after a few bites I wonder what the heck I was thinking. When I was pregnant with my third (I miscarried), though, I ate the stuff about twice a day. It was ridiculous and I never had a serious pregnancy craving before that.

I think there is a way to adjust the number of posts per page, so people with different settings would have different numbers of pages.

Oh, I would love to know how to do that! I haven't been able to find that feature since the last time the board changed in 2012.

I grew up at horse shows pretty much every weekend so I ate it often as well. I still make it about once a year because I'm feeling nostalgic and after a few bites I wonder what the heck I was thinking. When I was pregnant with my third (I miscarried), though, I ate the stuff about twice a day. It was ridiculous and I never had a serious pregnancy craving before that.

Feeling uncomfortable.  I did not click "Like" because your baby died, but for the rest of the post.  I'm very sorry that happened for you.

If you eat chili, it helps prevent ebola…the only problem is that there's currently a clinical trial going on to see if beans are required or not. ;)

Good quip!  :smilielol5:

I guess that ranks right down with the article my friend posted on FB about the Young Living (?) company.  The FDA sent them a stern warning letter because the company was claiming that some of their products would wipe out ebola, and that some of their products would prevent Alzheimer's.

OK, so I LOVE Texas because my GOOD FRIENDS TEXASMAMA, MAIZE, KINSA, VIOLET CROWN, Onestep and Calpurnia Tate live there. And also Or were born there. Or are in someway connected with the non-square, in the middle, waffle loving, high self-esteem state.

"Me, too," she said in a hesitating manner, "5th generation native, 6th generation on TX soil."

<slinks back into dark cave>

I'm just getting sleepy-punchy about now.  I live just north of Dallas.

Latest news I've seen says that the man first diagnosed with it in Dallas is in isolation in the hospital.  His condition has been upgraded from critical to serious so he's obviously responding to treatment.  One other person (either a close family member or friend) is being monitored.  Other people who have come into contact with him since he became symptomatic are under precautionary monitoring.  

Latest news I've seen says that the man first diagnosed with it in Dallas is in isolation in the hospital.  His condition has been upgraded from critical to serious so he's obviously responding to treatment.  One other person (either a close family member or friend) is being monitored.  Other people who have come into contact with him since he became symptomatic are under precautionary monitoring.  

There are five elementary school-aged children who were in contact with him over the weekend.  Not all are family members.  Also being watched are some hospital staff.  The hospital is being slammed good-and-hard because the fact that the man is from Monrovia, Liberia was not told to enough staff that he would not have been allowed to leave the ER as he was.  (He returned to hospital two days later.)

I wandered into this thread this evening only to be startled by my landing in the middle of a Chili War.

Oh, I would love to know how to do that! I haven't been able to find that feature since the last time the board changed in 2012.

Hmm, I just went looking and can't figure it out either. Maybe I am just remembering the way things used to be?

There are five elementary school-aged children who were in contact with him over the weekend.  Not all are family members.  Also being watched are some hospital staff.  The hospital is being slammed good-and-hard because the fact that the man is from Monrovia, Liberia was not told to enough staff that he would not have been allowed to leave the ER as he was.  (He returned to hospital two days later.)

I wandered into this thread this evening only to be startled by my landing in the middle of a Chili War.

Yes, they did mess up initially but it seems to be under control at this point.  Hopefully if there are any more cases what happened here will stop a repeat of that kind of a problem.  

My personal opinion is that it is serious but not catastrophic - at least at this point in time.  

As for chili- I have no opinion since dd is now allergic to tomatoes and chili peppers and green peppers too if you add those.  I suppose I could cook her up some ground beef with or without beans and serve her that!  

Yes, they did mess up initially but it seems to be under control at this point. Hopefully if there are any more cases what happened here will stop a repeat of that kind of a problem.

My personal opinion is that it is serious but not catastrophic - at least at this point in time.

As for chili- I have no opinion since dd is now allergic to tomatoes and chili peppers and green peppers too if you add those. I suppose I could cook her up some ground beef with or without beans and serve her that!

Poor dd!

I agree with the assessment and if this error in catching the illness quickly does not result in it being spread, I think the effect will to be to raise awareness and hopefully prevent this from happening elsewhere with no tragic consequences. Perhaps that will be the silver lining.

(Awkwardly worded sentence. Hope my meaning is clear.)

I was being hyperbolic.

I have actually taken too much cold medicine. :lol:

I was just saying I wasn't being pissy for no reason.

Good quip!  :smilielol5:

I guess that ranks right down with the article my friend posted on FB about the Young Living (?) company.  The FDA sent them a stern warning letter because the company was claiming that some of their products would wipe out ebola, and that some of their products would prevent Alzheimer's.

I feel like buying their product so I don't miss out on the class action lawsuit.

Only one banned recipe involving chili.  I will NOT make nor eat that goosh-awful Frito Pie ! ! !  I endured that as a child in the late 1950s, early 1960s more than I care to remember.

http://www.houstoniamag.com/eat-and-drink/articles/the-complicated-history-of-the-frito-pie-january-2014

The only things from my childhood that I refuse to eat now involve canned tuna. (my mom would not make liver, she thought it was gross) I don't mind Frito-chili-pie one bit. Yum. 

WBAP reported this afternoon that the 5 children were back in school today, in their respective schools.  I wonder if at some point they will pull them out proactively. ??  I would, were I the health commish. 

It's a little confusing.  This article states that at least one child was "told to stay home from school" and that worried parents are keeping their kids home.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/10/01/6165611/officials-say-only-one-ebola-case.html

The letter goes on to say the student is not showing symptoms, has been told to stay home from school and is under observation by the Dallas County Health and Human Services Department.

I feel like buying their product so I don't miss out on the class action lawsuit.

Personally I am convinced that wearing garlic cloves will protect me from Ebola. I haven't caught it yet so the garlic is obviously working; I can sell you my special garlic-carrying pouch if you like :D