Menu

Is there not an Ebola in Dallas thread yet?

staceyobu

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, it's sad that this is such a serious issue, that the officials are now as good as admitting they mishandled, that we can't have a serious, respectful conversation about it.

Secondly, North Carolina has the best BBQ and anyone who says otherwise has clearly spent too much time out in the sun.

Yes, and YES.   :iagree:

I think there are many people who have a casual "this isn't something that will ever affect me" attitude and there are people who have a chicken little "the world is coming to an end" attitude. Then there are the people in between. It isn't a one or the other.

I agree that there have been many who appear to believe that it is something that will never affect them, and that concerns me, too. The other end of the spectrum concerns me, too, but less so. If they want to hole up in their bunkers, I'm not going to worry about that.

I believe we need to work really hard at maintaining a balance with this.

And I don't think anyone disagrees that there should be a balance.

First, I wouldn't say that the people saying "this is not the thing that should really worry you" are saying "this will never affect me, so I don't need to worry about it." I agree with sending parts of the US military to help get the disease under control. That is what will likely best protect the US in the long run. Military engineers help build infrastructure so that people have access to clean water, infantry can help protect aid workers (more have been murdered than have died from Ebola), logistics units can supply water purification, laundry trucks, showers, etc. I think stopping the spread at its source is the best long range plan.

We have good sanitation and hygiene practices in the US, even if people don't always wash their hands. Again, I have an immune compromised child, so we wash hands *and* use hand sanitizer, especially when we are in touristy areas (which is the big risk here, tourists carrying stuff that we don't carry immunity to). We get flu shots. We stay away from sick people whenever possible. There are ways to mitigate risk, as you outlined in your other post. Right now, people are still much more likely to die from the flu or enterovirus this year. I know five people who have been hospitalized due to flu or virus complications so far this year. I know two who have contracted pneumonia.

Oh No you didn't!   Them's fight'in words!!      KC  and St. Louis don't know BBQ.  TX is REAL BBQ

Disagree, and I've lived all over. *IMO* (realizing not everyone will agree): I think KC does brisket best. Hawaii does the best Korean short ribs. TX has the best sauced beef ribs. Memphis has the best dry rub pork ribs. SC does the best pulled pork. I'm not much of a NC BBQ fan, even though I've spent a significant amount of time living there.

And for the record, a few very important things. I put kidney and pinto beans in my chili and am unapologetic about it. The Spartans rule, the Wolverines not so much. The Lions will stink again this year. It's inevitable and really should be listed as a scientific law right up there with Newton's Laws of Motion since no counter-example has ever been found to negate the Theory of the Detroit Lions Stinkhood.

You may now hurl insults about my chili and football predictions. It's okay, I have my bullet proof big girl panties on! :D

See, I grew up an ardent U of M fan….but they've been just embarrassing lately.

My Dad actually always bets against the Lions…and does quite well.  He loves them, but is not stupid.   We lived in Jacksonville for quite a few years, so also root for the Jaguars.  It's exactly like rooting for the Lions.  Any win is a big surprise. :)

I put beans in my chili for the illusion of health.  It's almost vegetarian that way.  Then, of course, we eat it with cornbread or Fritos or something…even put sour cream and grated cheese on top….so the illusion of health goes out the window.  I figure Fritos are OK with Texas folks as they come from San Antonio. If I am wrong, please one of the Texas Mamas correct me.

See, I grew up an ardent U of M fan….but they've been just embarrassing lately.

My Dad actually always bets against the Lions…and does quite well.  He loves them, but is not stupid.   

I put beans in my chili for the illusion of health.  It's almost vegetarian that way.  Then, of course, we eat it with cornbread or Fritos or something…even put sour cream and grated cheese on top….so the illusion of health goes out the window.  I figure Fritos are OK with Texas folks as they come from San Antonio. If I am wrong, please one of the Texas Mamas correct me.

I understand. I don't know what it is about the Lions. There is a Michigan love/hate relationship with them. The state would be so sorry to see them go, and yet is always so extraordinarily angry with their performance problems! LOL

We eat ours without beef, hence the beans for the protein and iron, and we top it with cheese and sour cream too. Yum, yum, yum, yum...it's cold and rainy here, so it's cooking on the stove as I type. It's comfort food. Oh, and GF cornbread goes into the oven in about 15 minutes.

WHOA! WHOA! WHOA! Back those horsies up........ you mean to tell me that there are people who ON PURPOSE do NOT put beans in their chili?????? :huh:

Wouldn't that just be meat in chili sauce then???? I mean .....what? That would just be spaghetti sauce but without the Italian spices and substitute chilies!!!

Bwwaaahhaaaa.

Oh. My. Never wanted to be aTexan until maybe now? Just for the BBQ.

I'll be honest, I find it hard to believe they can contain this thing. We could never, ever contain the flu. Our society is simply too blase about hygiene, myself included, I am sure.

I recently read he came into contact with fifteen to eighteen people several children from five different schools. Now... knowing that, and thinking how wide the potential circle is, doesn't it seem insanely hard to get in front of?

I don't think I could eat a bat.

I am willing to try all BBQ. I'm kind like that.

Finally, people exist who eat chili without beans??? Seriously? Isn't that essentially tomato soup? Why even call it chili???

Jinnah,

I'm sorry it seems like people are ganging up on you and being nit-picky about your wording. I know what you meant.

I think it would be sad if a healthcare worker died of ebola. It wouldn't be happy, would it? 

Frankly, this thread seems really disrespectful of the many human beings who are suffering or have died from this terrible disease. I guess if making BBQ jokes makes you feel better...

Yeah, I will probably get attacked on this thread, too. I feel sorry for Jinnah - I would be really upset if so many people were having fun trying to dismiss what I had to say.

First of all, it's sad that this is such a serious issue, that the officials are now as good as admitting they mishandled, that we can't have a serious, respectful conversation about it.

Secondly, North Carolina has the best BBQ and anyone who says otherwise has clearly spent too much time out in the sun.

Amen, sister!

Ain't nobody else even close.

Plus I doubt anywhere else has very cool pigs decorating their streets like we do. ;)

Jinnah,

I'm sorry it seems like people are ganging up on you and being nit-picky about your wording. I know what you meant.

I think it would be sad if a healthcare worker died of ebola. It wouldn't be happy, would it? 

Frankly, this thread seems really disrespectful of the many human beings who are suffering or have died from this terrible disease. I guess if making BBQ jokes makes you feel better...

Yeah, I will probably get attacked on this thread, too. I feel sorry for Jinnah - I would be really upset if so many people were having fun trying to dismiss what I had to say.

The reason for the bbq and football jokes IS because this thread was already started once and locked down. People are interjecting humor every time it starts to get serious in the hopes that it will stay light enough to not be locked down. It is an old board trick that newbies may not understand, but we've had some doosies in the past that just plain got ugly, really, really ugly and so some posters that have been here a lot of years can see where things are going and take the thread into light heartedness in order to circumvent what would otherwise likely, inevitably be, people reporting others to SWB and Overjohn so much that they end up with posters being temporarily or permanently banned and threads locked down or poor Susan having to declare a topic 100% off limits. I was on the old boards a LONG time ago, in addition to the time spent on the this newer version of WTM forums, and I can tell you that this thread would be heading for a train wreck if it weren't for the humor interrupting it.

The reason for the bbq and football jokes IS because this thread was already started once and locked down. People are interjecting humor every time it starts to get serious in the hopes that it will stay light enough to not be locked down. It is an old board trick that newbies may not understand, but we've had some doosies in the past that just plain got ugly, really, really ugly and so some posters that have been here a lot of years can see where things are going and take the thread into light heartedness in order to circumvent what would otherwise likely, inevitably be, people reporting others to SWB and Overjohn so much that they end up with posters being temporarily or permanently banned and threads locked down or poor Susan having to declare a topic 100% off limits. I was on the old boards a LONG time ago, in addition to the time spent on the this newer version of WTM forums, and I can tell you that this thread would be heading for a train wreck if it weren't for the humor interrupting it.

Unfortunately, it's more than an interruption.  Might as well lock it since the actual topic isn't being discussed.

I wonder if I can get dh to take me to Scotland. For the Hive, of course. It's my civic duty.

I believe we already have a Scotland correspondent. 

We may need to take up a bit of a collection, though.

I think she's going to need a bigger camera.

:D

Is this the part when all the Texans and Oklahomans hold hands and start singing kumbaya?  :D

Well, that's pretty blasphemous.  Like suggesting all the Florida and Florida State fans start a commune together.

I've already suggested that I might be risking arrest if I hang around the churches on a Saturday afternoon looking for wedding kilts....  Needs must, I suppose.

L

True, but she is really slacking in posting photos. Clearly we need a new photographer.

Bwwaaahhaaaa.

Oh. My. Never wanted to be aTexan until maybe now? Just for the BBQ.

I'll be honest, I find it hard to believe they can contain this thing. We could never, ever contain the flu. Our society is simply too blase about hygiene, myself included, I am sure.

I recently read he came into contact with fifteen to eighteen people several children from five different schools. Now... knowing that, and thinking how wide the potential circle is, doesn't it seem insanely hard to get in front of?

Nigeria got in front of a similar outbreak by following the contacts. I think we can do the same.

Flu... is a different disease.

I don't think Nigeria has managed to conquer the flu either.

I've already suggested that I might be risking arrest if I hang around the churches on a Saturday afternoon looking for wedding kilts....  Needs must, I suppose.

L

I do believe Laura's actually *in* Scotland, so she's your go-to Kilt Korrespondent.  Me and my itty bitty camera, we were just there for a few days earlier this fall dropping my kid off at university.

Unfortunately, it's more than an interruption. Might as well lock it since the actual topic isn't being discussed.

I don't know, some of the most informative threads in chat end far afield of the start point.

I think this is like a lot of other topics that get extremely heated:

Some are so extreme in either end of the debate that they sound rabid

Posters trying to reason with one end or the other end up sounding either dismissive, condescending, or frustrated

Those posters having an actual discussion on the facts/realities of the topic get frequently derailed trying to talk over all the other crap happening in the thread

Some one yells kilt in an attempt to keep posters from pulling out their pocket pitchforks and forming a mob

I don't know, some of the most informative threads in chat end far afield of the start point.

Posters trying to reason with one end or the other end up sounding either dismissive, condescending, or frustrated

Those posters having an actual discussion on the facts/realities of the topic get frequently derailed trying to talk over all the other crap happening in the thread

Some one yells kilt in an attempt to keep posters from pulling out their pocket pitchforks and forming a mob

The other problem in many of these threads is people refusing to take ownership of their initial posts or reactions and calling people illiterate instead of saying that you stood down from your original knee-jerk reaction because you don't want to look like a knee-jerk reactor or for whatever other reason you might have for doing that.

Just put on the big girl panties and say "okay, yeah, that would be an over-reaction and seems a bit crazy, how about this instead?" People would react much differently to that.

One last time:  I do think the countries IN AFRICA that are affected should have travel bans.  I'm entitled to my opinion and others feel the same.  Thanks for understanding... or not.

So, you didn't answer this when I posted it in reaction to the last time you posted that:

What would stop someone from flying from Liberia to Paris, then to the US? What would stop someone from taking some other path that was less traceable (you have traveled, if I recall correctly, so you realize much of Europe doesn't exercise border control amongst itself)? Do you think that would be *better* than *knowing* who is flying from Liberia and tracing them? Did you read the article posted in this thread on how tracking has stopped Ebola and other viruses in some areas?

So, you didn't answer this when I posted it in reaction to the last time you posted that:

What would stop someone from flying from Liberia to Paris, then to the US? What would stop someone from taking some other path that was less traceable (you have traveled, if I recall correctly, so you realize much of Europe doesn't exercise border control amongst itself)? Do you think that would be *better* than *knowing* who is flying from Liberia and tracing them? Did you read the article posted in this thread on how tracking has stopped Ebola and other viruses in some areas?

One negative thing about banning travel is that people who want to travel to the US from Liberia or any other country that may get banned and are desperate to get to the US will cover their tracks and get to the US (they can travel to another country and fly from there to Paris or they can get a false passport, false identity etc as it is very easy to do so in many parts of the world).

Right now, we know who originated from Liberia (and other affected countries) and we can keep track of them when they arrive in the US. It can get messed up if people try to cover their tracks because of any travel bans.

I am keeping my fingers crossed on this whole issue - it does not encourage me to hear that there was mishandling in this patient's case.

Something to consider...  Viral hemorrhagic fevers (of which Ebola is one type) have existed in Europe, Asia, North America, etc. for years.  Hantavirus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hantavirus) is present in North America.  The symptoms of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome are as follows:

"Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS) is found in North, Central and South America.[14] It is an often fatal pulmonary disease. In the United States, the causative agent is Sin Nombre virus carried by deer mice. Prodromal symptoms include flu-like symptoms such as fever, cough, myalgia, headache, and lethargy. It is characterized by a sudden onset of shortness of breath with rapidly evolving pulmonary edema that is often fatal despite mechanical ventilation and intervention with potent diuretics. It has a fatality rate of 36%." (from Wikipedia)  Hantavirus can also present as hantavirus hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome but this version seems to be only seen in Europe, Asia, and Africa.

Here's stats for HPS in North America (also from Wikipedia):

"North America
In the U.S., minor cases of HPS include Sin Nombre virus, New York virus, Bayou virus, and possibly Black Creek Canal virus.
In the United States, as of July 2010 eight states had reported 30 or more cases of Hantavirus since 1993[18] – New Mexico (84), Colorado (70), Arizona (62), California (42), Washington (41), Texas (37), Utah (31) and Montana (30). Other states reporting a significant number of cases include Idaho (16), Kansas (15), South Dakota (15), North Dakota (12) and Oregon (11).
In late August and early September of 2012, eight new cases of Hantavirus were confirmed, including three deaths, in the Curry Village area of Yosemite National Park.[19] On Long Island, David Hartstein, a chiropractor, died in June 2011, after contracting hantavirus. His story is featured in the HBO documentary Hard Times, Lost on Long Island.[20]
In addition to infecting rodents hantaviruses are known to be carried by shrews (order Soricomorpha, family Soricidae) and moles (family Talpidae).[21]
In Mexico a number of rodents have been found to carry hantaviruses: Megadontomys thomasi, Neotoma picta, Peromyscus beatae, Reithrodontomys megalotis and Reithrodontomys sumichrasti.[22]
In Canada, there was one confirmed death in Northern British Columbia in January, 2013 and at least one confirmed death in Kindersley, Saskatchewan, in June 2013.[23] Another death in the Kindersley area (June 2013) may also be linked to Hantavirus. One confirmed case (July 2013) in Burr, Saskatchewan (near Kindersley); the patient was gravely ill but survived."

Marburg virus was discovered in Europe in the 60's.  Omsk hemorrhagic fever is found in Siberia.  This class of viruses does not just include Ebola.  They've been around for years and are already outside Africa.  Ebola grabs the attention because it's progress is fairly gruesome.  I suppose my point is that this isn't some brand of disease that's completely new to the world outside of a few locations in Africa.  You're far more likely to get HPS from rodent feces in North America than you are to get Ebola.

I just want to address the misconception that Texas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska are the same state. Nebraska is far superior to those other places. Far superior. We have fancy things like corn and soybeans. Also, our panhandle is bigger that those other tiny little wannabe panhandles. Plus, we have Runza. Do those other heathen places have Runzas? No! Have any of their state senators tried to sue God? No! Do those back words states have anything as awesome as our Unicameral?!?! Not. Even. Kinda. Do their state capitals look like giant male appendages sticking out of the prairie? Nope. I'll concede the BBQ argument. Everything else Nebraska wins. Except football. Louisiana wins that argument.

They've identified the patient. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/world/africa/ebola-victim-texas-thomas-eric-duncan.html?_r=0

Apparently he had direct contact with a pregnant woman in the later stages of ebola four days before he left for the U.S. He rode in the taxi with her to the hospital, and when there wasn't room for her in the hospital he helped carry her into her house, holding her legs. She passed away soon after that. So this follows the pattern of having direct contact with an ebola victim to catch the virus.

The situation is so sad. I've been reading lots of articles in the past few weeks. This one, which talks about how ebola preys on our humanistic tendencies, echos some of my own fears of the disease. It's so sad that it's most easily transferred through caring for another human being. Even in first-world countries, not being able to see your loved ones while they're in treatment would be so, so difficult.

I'm not scared of a wide outbreak happening in the US now. I'm more concerned that they won't get the situation in Africa under control in the next few months and once you're at close to a million cases it becomes a lot harder to contain even with strict quarantines and travel restrictions put in place. 

I just want to address the misconception that Texas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska are the same state. Nebraska is far superior to those other places. Far superior. We have fancy things like corn and soybeans. Also, our panhandle is bigger that those other tiny little wannabe panhandles. Plus, we have Runza. Do those other heathen places have Runzas? No! Have any of their state senators tried to sue God? No! Do those back words states have anything as awesome as our Unicameral?!?! Not. Even. Kinda. Do their state capitals look like giant male appendages sticking out of the prairie? Nope. I'll concede the BBQ argument. Everything else Nebraska wins. Except football. Louisiana wins that argument.

What about poor Kansas?

Not to mention the candy shop in North Platte, which is the only place in the entire U.S. where you can find Thornton's Toffee for a reasonable price. Wish I could remember the name...

What about poor Kansas?

Kansas scares me. Since they're so prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse, all the zombies will cross the border and attack Nebraska. Darn Kansans. The zombies will move north, of course, as their main food source (brains) is lacking south of Kansas.

They've identified the patient. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/world/africa/ebola-victim-texas-thomas-eric-duncan.html?_r=0

Apparently he had direct contact with a pregnant woman in the later stages of ebola four days before he left for the U.S. He rode in the taxi with her to the hospital, and when there wasn't room for her in the hospital he helped carry her into her house, holding her legs. She passed away soon after that. So this follows the pattern of having direct contact with an ebola victim to catch the virus.

The situation is so sad. I've been reading lots of articles in the past few weeks. This one, which talks about how ebola preys on our humanistic tendencies, echos some of my own fears of the disease. It's so sad that it's most easily transferred through caring for another human being. Even in first-world countries, not being able to see your loved ones while they're in treatment would be so, so difficult.

I'm not scared of a wide outbreak happening in the US now. I'm more concerned that they won't get the situation in Africa under control in the next few months and once you're at close to a million cases it becomes a lot harder to contain even with strict quarantines and travel restrictions put in place.

Egads! I wonder if he mentioned all of this to the first healthcare officials he spoke with?

I'm still boggled over him being sent home! He probably speaks with a bit of an accent, yes? He should have been asked about his travel history FOR SURE.

The other problem in many of these threads is people refusing to take ownership of their initial posts or reactions and calling people illiterate instead of saying that you stood down from your original knee-jerk reaction because you don't want to look like a knee-jerk reactor or for whatever other reason you might have for doing that.

Just put on the big girl panties and say "okay, yeah, that would be an over-reaction and seems a bit crazy, how about this instead?" People would react much differently to that.

Yep. Nothing diffuses a misunderstanding quite like telling the other party if they weren't so freakin poorly educated that they would see it your way.

It reminds me of my BIL whose answer to most things is either duct tape, gasoline, or some combination of the two. Ant problem......gasoline......wasp nest.....gasoline......dealing with nutty relations....duct tape......bushes need removing.......gasoline.......

You get the picture.

Saying posters need help with reading comprehension is like the gasoline solution for the forum.

Yep. Nothing diffuses a misunderstanding quite like telling the other party if they weren't so freakin poorly educated that they would see it your way.

It reminds me of my BIL whose answer to most things is either duct tape, gasoline, or some combination of the two. Ant problem......gasoline......wasp nest.....gasoline......dealing with nutty relations....duct tape......bushes need removing.......gasoline.......

You get the picture.

Saying posters need help with reading comprehension is like the gasoline solution for the forum.

Or if they weren't sticking their head in the sand they'd see it your way. 

Sure, that happens sometimes.

I didn't seek out the locked thread when it was mentioned b/c I assume it devolved rapidly.  I was looking forward to learning in this one. It's a shame.