Menu

(Controversial content) a letter to girls in the pew in front of us...

Joanne

One Step Up Closer Towards Whoredom is my new band name. Called it.

Yoga Pants Slut will be our first hit single. The chorus will be very catchy because it'll just be "tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk...."

The Naughty Vixens could open for One Step Up Closer Towards Whoredom.

Brazier...is a heater that usually holds coals. No one should be wearing one.

Brassiere is the long form of bra.

Brasserie is a restaurant where you might or might not wear a Brassiere.

Pandalicious will the the 2nd hit wonder of the One Step Closer to Whoredom Band

So we have Naughty Vixens with their one hit wonder, B.B. And Free.

Chorus:

So I put my brassiere in the brazier and set.them.free.

Then I shook my flame hot bod and said you can't.have.me.

They will be followed by One Step Closer to Whoredom performing from their album, Yoga Pants Slut.

Including such ditties as:

Pandalicious

Coulattes are the New Nekkid

Don't put your Plank in My Eye

Revolutionary, Evolutionary Hamhocks

I'll judge Your Junk

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chorus:

They will be followed by One Step Closer to Whoredom performing from their album, Yoga Pants Slut.

Pandalicious

I'll judge Your Junk

:hurray: :lol: :rofl: :thumbup1: :cheers2: :smilielol5:

Chorus:

Pandalicious

I'll judge Your Junk

:hurray:  :lol:  :w00t:  :rofl:

Chorus:

Pandalicious

I'll judge Your Junk

Don't Make Me Covet Your Shaky Shaky Buttocks

She's only been married six months and she's running around giving advice on life, marriage, and children? Are we sure? I'm sorry, but yiayia's are considered the wise women and even a forty year old is wise enough to know that many times we are too young to have the answers (and, yes, this includes as Christians with the "handbooks" of scripture and tradition if there are those that want to go there because this blogger is a Christian). btw, this tells me much about the people running the homeschool conventions that are bringing her in as a speaker. No way...no freaking way. I've never been to a convention and it's this type of thing that will keep me away from the

She actually sounds a lot like my cousin.  The Christian Expert on Everything.  I've been given parenting advice from my cousin [i have 3 girls, she has no children....but she knows what I should be doing to raise my children correctly], my oldest was given BIRTHING advice from her [again - no children, no pregnancies.....yet she knows the correct Christian way to navigate pregnancy and birth.  Hint: drugs are never allowed].

I've heard a lot from my cousin that sounds like Phylicia's ramblings and rantings on modesty.  Lulu very seriously told me one day that the way I dressed really wasn't modest at all and, therefore, not pleasing to God.  I am a slightly overweight 45yo woman with very short hair who prefers to wear cargo shorts and a polo top whenever possible.  No makeup, no nail polish.  How is the world is that not modest?!?!

My middle dd is a dancer.  Her understanding of what is modest in her world is very different from mine.  She doesn't wear dance clothes to church, but wears them for pretty much every other part of her life....including photos on Instagram.  Lulu has had to be blocked since she couldn't keep her yapper shut about the whole modesty thing on Scooter's pictures.

Look, I get it.  I really don't want to see underwear or fleshy body parts sticking out when I'm trying to do grocery shopping, or attending church, or whatever.  But that's *my* issue.  And if I spy something I'd rather not see I look away.  Remember when that used to be the solution? Look AWAY.

Perhaps after Phylicia experiences more of life and grows up some more she'll come to the same conclusions.  Perhaps not.  My cousin is in her mid-30s and I've given up on ever reasoning with her.

Though she is the reason every year that I wear my absolute tightest, plunging-neck-line shirt to the Thanksgiving dinner.

She actually sounds a lot like my cousin.  The Christian Expert on Everything.  I've been given parenting advice from my cousin [i have 3 girls, she has no children....but she knows what I should be doing to raise my children correctly], my oldest was given BIRTHING advice from her [again - no children, no pregnancies.....yet she knows the correct Christian way to navigate pregnancy and birth.  Hint: drugs are never allowed].

I've heard a lot from my cousin that sounds like Phylicia's ramblings and rantings on modesty.  Lulu very seriously told me one day that the way I dressed really wasn't modest at all and, therefore, not pleasing to God.  I am a slightly overweight 45yo woman with very short hair who prefers to wear cargo shorts and a polo top whenever possible.  No makeup, no nail polish.  How is the world is that not modest?!?!

My middle dd is a dancer.  Her understanding of what is modest in her world is very different from mine.  She doesn't wear dance clothes to church, but wears them for pretty much every other part of her life....including photos on Instagram.  Lulu has had to be blocked since she couldn't keep her yapper shut about the whole modesty thing on Scooter's pictures.

Look, I get it.  I really don't want to see underwear or fleshy body parts sticking out when I'm trying to do grocery shopping, or attending church, or whatever.  But that's *my* issue.  And if I spy something I'd rather not see I look away.  Remember when that used to be the solution? Look AWAY.

Perhaps after Phylicia experiences more of life and grows up some more she'll come to the same conclusions.  Perhaps not.  My cousin is in her mid-30s and I've given up on ever reasoning with her.

Though she is the reason every year that I wear my absolute tightest, plunging-neck-line shirt to the Thanksgiving dinner.

:thumbup1:  My likes are whored out.

I have dancers, too. It looks like your middle DD is an adult?  WHY is some busy-body meddling in what she wears?  We wear dance clothes to dance class. In 15 years there has never been a raging horde of guys stampeding the classes and running off with the girls.  For goodness sake- the studios we know are desperate for boys to attend classes. If girls in tights, leotards and booty shorts don't bring the guys to class I can't imagine what will. :glare:

I spent the last few days at DragonCon. Sadly I didn't take any pictures to contribute to this thread. The costumes are just awesome, but it would not be a good place for the likes of this Mr. M. (Then again he might have been the guy on the corner with the megaphone demanding that we all repent?)

Chorus:

Pandalicious

I'll judge Your Junk

I should have skipped my crunches during my (yoga pants wearing) work out today since I just got the perfect abs work out.

Okay, I'm way way way behind here... sorry!!

These kind of things make me want to teach my girls to not be modest, LOL....

Our town is gearing up for Secret Keeper Girls conference and many of our friends are attending. I've been able to skirt the topic for the most part but it makes me feel icky...just like this article. Watch the dang sermon woman and stop passing judgement!

Is SKG bad?  I don't know much about it personally, but I do know that DG points out that 'modesty' rules don't exist in the Bible and that parents making rules on what their kids can wear are basing them on their own family's wishes, not on anything Biblical.  I was hoping, based on that, that maybe it wasn't as bad as it may sound.  

Bummer.  

In my grey tracksuit pants, and dirty ponytailed hair, I don't even have to make a milkshake to bring all the boys to my yard...

I'm sitting here in yoga pants, with a ponytail, my bra straps keep showing, AND I had a milkshake.  

And still the only boys in the yard were the ones I gave birth to.  Clearly I'm doing something wrong.

And I do have to add. . .isn't most clothing (including modest clothing) designed to not look awful? Thus, we can say it's designed to be attractive, can we not? I thought yoga pants were designed to be easy to work out in. Or just plain comfortable...  :huh:

I've often wondered this myself.   Unless a woman LITERALLY buys clothes to be as unflattering as possible.  Of course, one time I made the mistake of making my opinion known on a fb post about modesty - I really don't know what I was thinking.  :rolleyes:  Because after I pointed out that in many items of clothing, it is obvious that underneath, we are, in fact, women, and there will be curves that show.  One idiot (sorry) said something along the lines of 'we should never show curves.  My husband is so glad I dress modestly, and that my curves weren't obvious for him to ogle before we got married, or for anyone else to look at now.'  SERIOUSLY?!

No words.  

Another quote from "About the Author":

This year I traveled to five homeschool conventions, four of them through Teach Them Diligently, in locations such as Nashville, TN, Spartanburg, SC, Washington, D.C., and Dallas, TX. The final convention will be HEAV, the state homeschool convention of Virginia. I will be representing Liberty University, my alma mater and employer, at these events.

Okay, WHAT?!  I have NEVER seen her at HEAV.  I wonder when that was.  

Too bad she wasn't there this year.  I would have loved to run into her any day - over the course of the weekend, I had short shorts, a Harry Potter t-shirt, a Gdragon shirt (that just said GD on it lol) and my hair was anime character red.  

I turned heads... not because of my extreme hotness, though.  How dare I have hair so bright you could see it across the crowded convention hall?  Scandalous.  

Are these the type of pants we are talking about?  I'm still trying to see how they are immodest?

https://www.victoriassecret.com/clothing/pants-denim/classic-yoga-pant?ProductID=201933&CatalogueType=OLS&cm_mmc=CA-_-Google-_-KNIT%20PANTS-_-JD-297216093M.L&CAWELAID=430002470002962301&catargetid=430002470002189059&cadevice=c

They have to be talking about leggings, right?

I'm pretty sure it's the type linked.  Those VS ones are so uber comfy.... <3 <3

:D

If find it interesting that a thread all about how judgmental someone is on their blog is so very, very judgmental of that person.

If she wants to dish it out then people can dish it back. 

She was not dishing it out to anyone who asked for her opinion, however.  They were just immodest temptress innocents. 

(Oooooo, Immodest Temptress Innocents will be my second band when the first one breaks up!)

Oh, and I forgot to add the most important part lol.  

Her posts - especially the yoga pants one and the other one linked... not the wedding night one but the other one... are totally :ack2: .  

Hearing this sort of stuff... I literally feel the anger rising in my chest.  Is that weird lol?  

Oh, that and after reading her stuff, I'm really inspired to wear my skinniest skinny jeans to church tonight.  Ooh, maybe with a tank top, like I wore this morning.   And I'm totally looking forward to fall so that I can pull out my leggings and boots again... I can't rock the summer looks the way I can the fall/winter ones.  :P

this shirt coordinates perfectly with the hammer yoga pants.

Why is she wearing a giant avocado???

I spent the last few days at DragonCon. Sadly I didn't take any pictures to contribute to this thread. The costumes are just awesome, but it would not be a good place for the likes of this Mr. M. (Then again he might have been the guy on the corner with the megaphone demanding that we all repent?)

It's Renn. Fest. season here. I wanna read the blog post after that boobtacular experience.

If find it interesting that a thread all about how judgmental someone is on their blog is so very, very judgmental of that person.

Does this mean you don't wanna be in the band? I've decided to go with the finger cymbals so you can use my cow bell if you want.

(Oooooo, Immodest Temptress Innocents will be my second band when the first one breaks up!)

I thought we'd be together forever. 😭ðŸ¼ðŸ’”

Edited by Susan Wise Bauer
Photo removed

If she wants to dish it out then people can dish it back. 

She was not dishing it out to anyone who asked for her opinion, however.  They were just immodest temptress innocents. 

:iagree:  When you have a public blog, you're opening up whatever you post to discussion.  Judge others all you want in church, but keep it in your head or in a private journal, and you won't ever have to read a thread like this about yourself.  I'm not seeing this thread as mean spirited.  I truly wonder what her own minister's thoughts about her blog post would be? 

I still have likes left, so clearly my work is not done here! 

I actually found this guest interview on this blog, and I really like her tone.  It's much more a tone of maturity and evolved faith based on life experience.  And I'm not even Christian (I am a church going UU).  Note that in the guest's bio it even says she wears YOGA PANTS to chase her kids around all day.  :hurray:   A woman after my own heart!  (note the space)

http://phyliciadelta.com/    laurie-love-more-judge-less/

Don't worry! There's plenty of judgement for everyone.

Hey girl approved? 

<snip photo>

I think we should consider making a future rule that we will only "like" posts that contain cupcakes or Ryan Gosling.

I've often wondered this myself.   Unless a woman LITERALLY buys clothes to be as unflattering as possible.  Of course, one time I made the mistake of making my opinion known on a fb post about modesty - I really don't know what I was thinking.   :rolleyes:  Because after I pointed out that in many items of clothing, it is obvious that underneath, we are, in fact, women, and there will be curves that show.  One idiot (sorry) said something along the lines of 'we should never show curves.  My husband is so glad I dress modestly, and that my curves weren't obvious for him to ogle before we got married, or for anyone else to look at now.'  SERIOUSLY?!

What in the world could you wear that would never show curves? Or maybe I should ask what could *I* wear. I have curves; I had curves even when I weighed 100 lbs. They show.

Okay, WHAT?!  I have NEVER seen her at HEAV.  I wonder when that was.

From the quote, maybe she was just working the Liberty booth, she wasn't actually invited to speak there or anything?

Whenever I see the acronym HEAV, I read it as heave and think of vomiting. Which I might do if I had to listen to that talk. #AcronymFail.

I totally agree.

??? Isn't the nature of blogs to offer opinion and doesn't that imply feedback and controversy is expected?

I would say that controversy is courted and relied upon. Note how many of these "controversial" bloggers are young marrieds touting marriage advice, parenting advice and so forth. Granted, I think this is largely because those of us who have been doing it a long time think things like, "I'm not in a place to offer advice to *anyone* at this point, lol."

Don't worry! There's plenty of judgement for everyone.

And as more *ahem* experienced wives and mothers we are far better at it than Mrs. M.

Seriously. If she wants to win the award for back handed complimenting she is going to have to spend WAAAAAAAY more time with the 60-90 year old "prayer circle" set and learn the absolute perfect intonation for saying,"well bless your heart".

Indeed, comments about how modesty is just a competition for 'whos the best christian', making fun of 'modest clothes' and other comments through this thread are extremely judgemental to those boardies who actually believe in a standard of modesty (and you'll note, we have not come on trying to argue with you here, but we still do exist)

As for her blog being her opinion that no one asked for, actually, I believe you asked for her opinion when you visited her blog. She didn't send that letter to those girls and force her opinion on them (not that that would necessarily be wrong either, but it would invite fair judgment) she wrote it on a blog, a blog is essentially an online diary that people who want to know what you think visit to see your life. If she cannot post her opinion, an opinion she is NOT completely alone in, on her own blog, where can she put it? I suppose the answer is nowhere. But why is her minority opinion about modesty any different to your minority opinions about homeschooling or whatever. Except that you believe your opinion is right and hers is wrong.

Continue to make fun of a minority for their opinions which they have not pushed on anyone in that blog or this thread, but don't pretend you're less judgmental than her, or better than those who hold the minority opinion, because everyone on this forum holds a minority opinion. And the minority have just as much right to an opinion as the majority.

We could hope she was just working the Liberty booth.

I was telling DH about this and when I said she was from Liberty he said, "well, there you go".

If she had been from KMBC or BJU she wouldn't have even owned such a provocative item as yoga pants!

I have a question: did she or her husband offer any suggestions as to an alternative on what to wear to the gym? Culottes? (watches the Hive shudder)

Also, these are awesome and I'd totally wear them.

That is all.

Edited by Susan Wise Bauer
Photo removed

Indeed, comments about how modesty is just a competition for 'whos the best christian', making fun of 'modest clothes' and other comments through this thread are extremely judgemental to those boardies who actually believe in a standard of modesty (and you'll note, we have not come on trying to argue with you here, but we still do exist)

As for her blog being her opinion that no one asked for, actually, I believe you asked for her opinion when you visited her blog. She didn't send that letter to those girls and force her opinion on them (not that that would necessarily be wrong either, but it would invite fair judgment) she wrote it on a blog, a blog is essentially an online diary that people who want to know what you think visit to see your life. If she cannot post her opinion, an opinion she is NOT completely alone in, on her own blog, where can she put it? I suppose the answer is nowhere. But why is her minority opinion about modesty any different to your minority opinions about homeschooling or whatever. Except that you believe your opinion is right and hers is wrong.

Continue to make fun of a minority for their opinions which they have not pushed on anyone in that blog or this thread, but don't pretend you're less judgmental than her, or better than those who hold the minority opinion, because everyone on this forum holds a minority opinion. And the minority have just as much right to an opinion as the majority.

pretty sure most of us having a little fun do agree with appropriate attire and being modest in our own personal terms. There have been plenty of us in the "minority" represented here and our panties aren't in a wad underneath our yoga pants!

Of course she is free to have whatever opinion she wants.

We all are.

When you put your opinion out there for the consumption of others you are no longer free from their reaction.

This board is a perfect example of that. I can think purple hair is perfect all day long, but if I post on the board that everyone should dye their hair purple, I will get a response.

She made her thoughts public. She is free to have those thoughts and to air them.

We are free to react and share our opinions as well.

After reading a little more of her blog, I do feel kind of bad now. I read a couple of the newer posts (for those interested: 'Guarding Hearts, Kissing Frogs, and Other Dating Mistakes We're Making' as well as the article 'Does God Forgive Sexual Sin?') and it honestly made me really sad for her and of the impression I now have of her thought process. 

And because, unlike her, the more I read, the douchier he seems, I will go ahead and post a few more choice comments from Mr. M (after reading the above mentioned 2 posts in which she speaks about how unspeakably guilt-ridden she was and how she wept over kissing a man she was dating and had to cut out fiction, movies, changed the music she was listening to, and fasted in order to get rid of her desires): 

“Although I was raised in a Christian home, as soon as I was old enough to pursue relationships with girls, I broke loose. The result of this was that many girls were dishonored by me, and eventually I lost my virginity. When I first entered a relationship with my wife, Phylicia, I couldn’t tell her that I had remained abstinent for her. Losing my virginity before marriage made me realize the pain of extramarital sex, which did help me refrain from repeating this sin in my relationship with Phylicia.

If I had a do-over, I would have refrained from it the first time and avoided that guilt altogether. I wish that I could have told my wife that she was my ‘First’. But the reason I was able to have a wonderful, guilt-free, wedding night with my wife is because I knew that it was our first time with one another.  I know that I have been redeemed by God’s grace, which I  sought daily during our dating relationship. It was, and still is, only by God’s grace that my wife and I are able to be free of our guilt and shame of the past. It is His redeeming grace that makes our love pure.â€

From the post here: phylicia delta . com /does-god-forgive-sexual-sin/

Also, Mr. M's response here:
Phylicia:  Last week I received an email from a young man asking, “How can I help my girlfriend uphold purity?†I passed the question along to my husband, Mr. M, and I think his advice is worth sharing. When we were dating, we often struggled to uphold the standards of behavior we knew were necessary in order for us to have a peaceful, God-honoring relationship. Today, my husband will talk about how men can help their girlfriends in this battle against lust. 

His answer: phylicia delta . com/ men-resist-temptation-dating/ (without spaces)

This made me think of Shirin Ebadi's book about life in Iran after the Shah was overthrown. Ebadi was a professor and one of her female students got in trouble with the powers that be that were checking the female students' attire.  If I remember this correctly, the woman was entirely covered in black from head to toe, except for her highly suggestive pink socks.  I guess with pink socks, this woman was going start a stampede of male immorality.

I found this article on assault harassment in Egypt to be interesting. It would seem that a hijab is no more protection against harassment than are street clothes. It didn't make any difference if the women were veiled or not veiled.

Controlling standards of dress for women really has little to do with sexuality and everything to do with power.

Human beings are wired to find each other attractive. It's how we survive.  I am fairly sure if the girls at school are wore long dresses and covered their hair, my boys would find them more interesting than the other guys. If all it takes is pink socks, it doesn't take much. :tongue_smilie:

While I didn't find the letter to the girls in the pew to be terribly misogynistic, I did think it to be the work of a rather insecure and immature young woman.  Looks, both her own and that of others, seem to be very important to her.  In my experience, when a woman is judging the appearance of other women and especially under the guise of complimenting modesty, she is worried about the man in her own life straying and how she stacks up to the competition.  

What many people fail to realize is that when people are exposed to something a long time, they tend to become desensitized. There are many men here who could see several women walking around in tank tops and short shorts and not even notice, certainly not have big cartoon wolf eyes bulging out of their heads. It is not an uncommon sight by any means, especially in the warmer climates and people are used to it. When you look at a country like Egypt, as that was your example, some men there are also desensitized but in a slightly different way. Because so many women wear a headscarf and cover and because it is so common and theyÅ•e used to seeing a lot of women around them doing it, they don't see the hijab as something that right away forces them to be respectful or necessarily as a reminded to keep themselves in line. To those men, it is just something that women wear and thus, they'd be more likely to objectify a woman wearing it than for example a man here would. While I've had a handful of experiences, I can certainly say I've never been asked out while wearing a headscarf (though I do have one friend who was) and most men do not flirt with me or act interested. I imagine this is either because I am dealing with extraordinarily polite men with good senses of boundaries, I'm an 'uggo' lol, or because, since it is unusual, being a visibly Muslim woman who covers  gives them the idea that I am off-limits romantically (which I am ;) ). Not sure if I'm making sense but hopefully you get what I'm trying to say. I wouldn't say people respect me because I'm wearing it but I would say that what strikes people as normal and how they react to it differs around the world.

Last question, back to the blog and the 'type' thing. It seems he wasn't her ideal type she had in mind beforehand (not only physically but in terms of interests and commonalities) but she finds him very handsome and adores him now. His comments are more like 'I settled with regard to your looks because you're a good Christian even if I don't think you're physically attractive'. However, is there some unwritten rule that people of those types who are also Christian don't exist? I mean, you can't find a Christian person of the opposite gender who fits what you find physically attractive, is religious, and also shares a few interests? 

Nobody has said that she shouldn't post her opinion on her blog, or that she is not entitled to her opinion. But, once you put your opinion out there, people are free to state their opinion about your opinion. And she wants people to click on her blog and read it, or she would password protect it or not put it online at all. 

She is entitled to her opinion. She is entitled to publish her opinion on her blog. We are entitled to opine on her opinion.

I don't see it as offensive to those who have a standard of modesty. Jinnah does, she was posting actively here. I do, as I said, I literally wear full on abaya, headscarf, and face veil. But just having personal standards of modesty for your own dress (in my case, because I believe God said so, not because I think men need to be saved from themselves) is not really what is being discussed here.

I am pretty certain that all of the posters on this thread believe in a "standard of modesty". Even if there are nudist boardies, they probably limit that to spaces where it is considered acceptable, such as nude beaches and nudist events.

I linked my knees to elbows swimsuit on this thread. I don't recall anyone making fun of it.

Don't assume that people you disagree with lack any standards.

I don't take issue with how judgmental this blogger sounds, I take issue with her ideas and her too youthful faith that she is absolutely correct.

A ton of posters I would consider pretty conservative in their views on gender, marriage and modesty have taken issue with her for roughly the same reasons as me, a woman who likely no one mistakes for being conservative on gender, marriage or modesty.

Nobody has said that she shouldn't post her opinion on her blog, or that she is not entitled to her opinion. But, once you put your opinion out there, people are free to state their opinion about your opinion. And she wants people to click on her blog and read it, or she would password protect it or not put it online at all. 

She is entitled to her opinion. She is entitled to publish her opinion on her blog. We are entitled to opine on her opinion.

And frankly, isn't that what people like she and *he-who-shall-not-be-named* hope for? That we'll all comment and link and visit her blog and give her page views? That is WHY such people post pieces that will invite controversy. It is the REASON they exist-to make money (or to help the blogger get a book deal or radio show or tv show to make money). To believe anything else is extremely naive, IMO.

I am pretty certain that all of the posters on this thread believe in a "standard of modesty". Even if there are nudist boardies, they probably limit that to spaces where it is considered acceptable, such as nude beaches and nudist events.

I linked my knees to elbows swimsuit on this thread. I don't recall anyone making fun of it.

Don't assume that people you disagree with lack any standards.

I don't take issue with how judgmental this blogger sounds, I take issue with her ideas and her too youthful faith that she is absolutely correct.

A ton of posters I would consider pretty conservative in their views on gender, marriage and modesty have taken issue with her for roughly the same reasons as me, a woman who likely no one mistakes for being conservative on gender, marriage or modesty.

:iagree: