Menu

(Controversial content) a letter to girls in the pew in front of us...

Joanne

I swear "homeschool convention" is now code for "puritan revival" with ole Scottie Brown and Geoffrey Botkin stting around bemoaning the fact that our corrupt government won't allow them to burn a tatooed female at the stake. DP and company will of course be there in period garb to re-enact the Salem Witch Trials.

Sigh......

:smilielol5:  :smilielol5:  :rofl:

With that amusing thought, I'm heading out for a run, but not in yoga pants, it's too hot.  

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yes, what fun!!!! The Happy Trampy Mommy Club! Good times, good times.

As for the topic, I went off on a modesty police trooper the other day when she told me she was livid with a woman at her husband's place of work. He is the day manager of the milk parlor at an organic dairy. The female in qjestion is a woman who milks. The barn is hot, the work is hard. She wore a sleeveless wesern shirt to work.

Modesty trooper was having a fit because her poor hubby could hardly work because of this trollop's (her word, not mine) clothing choice. She said her husband was so distracted that he made some errors in his paperwork and got in trouble. I told her that if her husband was so freaked about a sleeveless top that he couldn't work, he needs processional help and not to let childen near until he had seen the psychiatrist! I am now on her naughty list.

I have zero patience for this crap!

You crack me up, FaithManor! :)

Ok, just back from a run in my oldest son's former school gym shorts and t-shirt. Am I now a cross dresser? I did get a honk from the paper guy who goes to our church. Should I worry he's being driven to lust by my wheezing and sweating? Of course I'm old so I don't count, right? I'm just good to hold up as an example of "Don't let this happen to you!" :lol:

My thoughts about this are wondering how men manage to leave the house and have productive lives if they really have these issues.  Most men seem to go about their day to day lives just fine. If they are constantly distracted and falling into lust-which they must be according to people who believe this way, how do they manage to live day to day.  How do they go to work, stop by a store, go out and about in the world and live their lives?

Oh, and what are women supposed to wear to the gym if yoga pants are not an option?

My thoughts about this are wondering how men manage to leave the house and have productive lives if they really have these issues.  Most men seem to go about their day to day lives just fine. If they are constantly distracted and falling into lust-which they must be according to people who believe this way, how do they manage to live day to day.  How do they go to work, stop by a store, go out and about in the world and live their lives?

Oh, and what are women supposed to wear to the gym if yoga pants are not an option?

That's why I make my husband work from home. I wouldn't want him distracted by all of you hussies in yoga pants. 

(I'm kidding. Just in case that didn't come across very well.)

I hate when a thread goes viral while I'm living my actual life off-line! :D

This one looks awesome, but I'm a half-dozen pages behind.

Try being in Europe. I leave a nice sedate board and come back and no one is talking to anyone else...or there are empty wine bottles and dark chocolate wrappers everywhere and someone is still singing karaoke* :lol:  ;)  :D 

*Points if you get the reference :001_rolleyes:

Love it!

Scarlet Y's, like whoredom, awesome new bands, and who can get that "tsk, tsk, tsk" out of thier minds?

I know I can't!

So if I admit to sitting bra-less on the couch wearing my HTMC tank, yoga pants, skipping church today does that mean I am an extra Trampy Trollop or am I super virtuous for keeping this lust inducing outfit home where only DH is tempted?

Try being in Europe. I leave a nice sedate board and come back and no one is talking to anyone else...or there are empty wine bottles and dark chocolate wrappers everywhere and someone is still singing karaoke* :lol: ;) :D

*Points if you get the reference :001_rolleyes:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

FTR- that time Bill passed out the awesome cough syrup was hilarious!

I realize we've moved far from the original subject, but as I am catching up, I want to quote Tibbie:

The next thing I'd do would be to raise my girls to believe in themselves so that their self-worth doesn't hinge on whether they are sexy or whether they are buttoned up

Exactly. What an exceedingly well-stated viewpoint. I do have one dd; she is quite beautiful, too, if I say so myself. I don't want her to fall for either pitfall.

The first question that came into my mind was, how did the OP even come across such a website?

I would add that not every statement regarding modesty is "slut shaming" or "misogyny" or whatever. IMO we use those terms so freely that they pretty much don't mean anything any more.

I worked with healing conservative Christians for 15 years providing family and discipline education. I have quite a few people recovering from legalistic backgrounds in my life and on my social media.

I can't imagine living surrounded by people who over use "misogyny" or "slut shaming". They are not commonly used words or phrases. In many cases, I don't think they are recognized and certainly slut shaming is a still developing concept.

Love it!

Scarlet Y's, like whoredom, awesome new bands, and who can get that "tsk, tsk, tsk" out of thier minds?

I know I can't!

So if I admit to sitting bra-less on the couch wearing my HTMC tank, yoga pants, skipping church today does that mean I am an extra Trampy Trollop or am I super virtuous for keeping this lust inducing outfit home where only DH is tempted?

Lol! You almost match my hussy outfit! I'm sitting sans brazier in a hot pink tee shirt with a college name on it and my yoga pants with chickens screen-printed on the butt. ("chicken-Butt" - get it?) and I am not at church because I am enjoying our last weekend at the beach house...and yes, I am enjoying it, because, in a strange twist of fate, or answered prayer, NONE of my in-laws could make it this weekend!!

I remembered how much I love this place when I'm not constantly defending my weird lifestyle against my nosy SIL!

Lol! You almost match my hussy outfit! I'm sitting sans brazier in a hot pink tee shirt with a college name on it and my yoga pants with chickens screen-printed on the butt. ("chicken-Butt" - get it?) and I am not at church because I am enjoying our last weekend at the beach house...and yes, I am enjoying it, because, in a strange twist of fate, or answered prayer, NONE of my in-laws could make it this weekend!!

I remembered how much I love this place when I'm not constantly defending my weird lifestyle against my nosy SIL!

I too am sitting here sans brazier. But the question is, am I more or less slutty than the two of you? I am wearing cotton pj bottoms with sea horses on them.

Personally I appreciate modesty.  Not because I am worried about men going astray, but because I personally feel women show self-respect when they choose to dress appropriately. 

A woman shows self-respect with her clothing when she chooses her clothes and feels happy and confident in them.  Her self-respect is not defined by some judgmental stranger. 

Printing on the butt is firmly over the line of hussidom.

We may have to develop a new level of the HTMC for you and your brazen booty ways!

What kind of makes me sad is that I wonder how many good relationships with men outside of their husbands many of these women have. I mean I hope your dh is a saint and I'm not even talking about going to lunch with another man. What about brothers? fathers? Do they just not have male role models? Do they look at a person of the opposite sex and think villain? Are they discounting friendships because of gender? 

It offends me not just as the parent of a male teen, but as a woman who has always been more comfortable around men in platonic relationships. Men are NOT scary creatures, seriously. 

I too am sitting here sans brazier. But the question is, am I more or less slutty than the two of you? I am wearing cotton pj bottoms with sea horses on them.

Well, it sounds like my pants are tighter, plus I have a lust-inducing print on my ass. I would ask "Mr. K" for his male opinion, which evidently trumps anything I would think, but alas, he is fishing, so I'll just have to sit here, looking trashy.

Well, I am in cotton pj bottoms, too, but no animals on them, just persimmon colored plaid. My t-shirt is a green one from running (ok walking) a 5k. No over the shoulder boulder holder on right now. 

http://phyliciadelta.com/to-the-girls-in-the-pew-ahead-of-me/

Ew. The subtle, passive/aggressive syrupy sweet approach is more evil than direct commentary on modesty.

Control, slut shaming, and misogyny wrapped in evangelical "gratitude."

A lot of work, finding evil in that letter, but what the heck, it's Sunday, let's all get a little exercise!

I worked with healing conservative Christians for 15 years providing family and discipline education. I have quite a few people recovering from legalistic backgrounds in my life and on my social media.

I can't imagine living surrounded by people who over use "misogyny" or "slut shaming". They are not commonly used words or phrases. In many cases, I don't think they are recognized and certainly slut shaming is a still developing concept.

Well, I have officially ran out of likes so I'm quoting.

I think anyone who claims misogyny and slut shaming are talked about too much just do not want to hear about these topics.  These topics are certainly not common in people's day to day life.  They are occasionally discussed on these boards but if someone thinks that is excessive, well, what an excellent example of why they need to be discussed more, IMO.

A woman shows self-respect with her clothing when she chooses her clothes and feels happy and confident in them.  Her self-respect is not defined by some judgmental stranger. 

:iagree:

D has asked me not to wear leggings out for a run, or yoga pants around town because they are transparent (he says. I can't see my own behind that well) and tacky. We live in a modest-dressing kind of place and we do try to meet the social standards reasonably well. Yoga pants are not very common here. Leggings are. 

I have switched to wearing all skirts and no pants because 1. I feel prettier and more feminine, 2. I find them more practical in that I can make my own skirts easily, and wear them with my changing size, but pants that fit a big booty and small waist are virtually nonexistent, ( do have 3 pairs of capris for exercise, but I don't wear them around town and only the yoga pants fit right now :lol: ) 3. I do find people-especially men-treat me with more respect. It's a sad fact, but there it is. 

The word "modest" has been co-opted to mean a lot of things it shouldn't, usually carrying judgement of the woman's character based on how much of herself she reveals. I think "tasteful" is better to connote "Dressed appropriately for the occasion."

Well, it sounds like my pants are tighter, plus I have a lust-inducing print on my ass. I would ask "Mr. K" for his male opinion, which evidently trumps anything I would think, but alas, he is fishing, so I'll just have to sit here, looking trashy.

I am wearing a very low-cut (to the waist) black sequined cocktail dress that barely covers my (sexy mesh) panties. I had to change out of it yesterday and into capri yoga pants to take the dog for a walk, for modesty's sake.

I think I win this one. Amateurs.

Brazier...is a heater that usually holds coals. No one should be wearing one.

Brassiere is the long form of bra.

Brasserie is a restaurant where you might or might not wear a Brassiere.

Darn. I knew I should have looked it up.

I am wearing a very low-cut (to the waist) black sequined cocktail dress that barely covers my (sexy mesh) panties. I had to change out of it yesterday and into capri yoga pants to take the dog for a walk, for modesty's sake.

I think I win this one. Amateurs.

Pffft! You put in too much effort! I like lazy hussy clothing.

What kind of makes me sad is that I wonder how many good relationships with men outside of their husbands many of these women have. I mean I hope your dh is a saint and I'm not even talking about going to lunch with another man. What about brothers? fathers? Do they just not have male role models? Do they look at a person of the opposite sex and think villain? Are they discounting friendships because of gender?

It offends me not just as the parent of a male teen, but as a woman who has always been more comfortable around men in platonic relationships. Men are NOT scary creatures, seriously.

This is what I get from POVs such as the one on that blog. I just don't even understand all the attention that is placed on what other women wear - to the gym, to the hardware store, to church, to the farmer's market - any of it. I mean, I notice when other women are dressed especially well and

I notice when other women are dressed spectacularly poorly, but aside from that, I just don't notice. Running shorts, yoga pants, tight jeans, loose jeans, skirts - any time others are just wearing "normal" clothes, I don't notice or care. I'm gonna go out on a limb and imagine my dh and my sons are about the same way.

i knew a woman who was very concerned about modest dress. She was constantly seeing all these "immodest clothes" where I just saw regular clothes. She was forever pointing out that this girl had on a tank top that showed her bra straps, that girl's shorts were too short, this girl's top showed cleavage when she bent over, etc. I never noticed any of these until she pointed them out. Guess it just proves that what you focus on expands. Personally, I would not prefer to focus on the idea that every woman is a potential lust display and every man is a bundle of barely-controlled sexual urges.

In my experience, when a woman is judging the appearance of other women and especially under the guise of complimenting modesty, she is worried about the man in her own life straying and how she stacks up to the competition.  

This. Considering that Mr M told their assembled friends and family, at their wedding, that Mrs M was physically "not his type" but that he fell in love with her because she was such a good Christian, I suspect that may have something to do with her need to emphasize what a good, modest Christian wife she is, as well as her fear of women dressing in a way that might inspire lustful thoughts in Mr M (and apparently it doesn't take much!).

This. Considering that Mr M told their assembled friends and family, at their wedding, that Mrs M was physically "not his type" but that he fell in love with her because she was such a good Christian, I suspect that may have something to do with her need to emphasize what a good, modest Christian wife she is, as well as her fear of women dressing in a way that might inspire lustful thoughts in Mr M (and apparently it doesn't take much!).

Do we start the betting pool now as to how long THAT marriage lasts?

Okay, let me just say, having googled Yoga Pants Fail (I know I was warned!), um...leggings and yaha pants are NOT the same thing! Leggings = meant to come from below shorts, skirts, or ballet outfits. Hence, sheer rear = not an issue. Yoga pants = fully fabric coverage. Over-clothes unnecessary.

Do I get a prize? I went to mow wearing a man's tank with my sports bra showing and a pair of capri length yoga pants covered in paint. My neighbor came over and mowed half my yard. I'd like to think it was the fact he's a great neighbor, not because my lime green sports bra was showing in my now very smelly and sweaty armpits.

Okay, let me just say, having googled Yoga Pants Fail (I know I was warned!), um...leggings and yaha pants are NOT the same thing! Leggings = meant to come from below shorts, skirts, or ballet outfits. Hence, sheer rear = not an issue. Yoga pants = fully fabric coverage. Over-clothes unnecessary.

Hahahhaha

That poor girl is going to look at her post tracker, come over here and be...I don't know. Mortified? Outraged?

I'm sure she'll get lots of post material out of this.

Well, sure. When you've got a blog all about telling people how to do this Christian life thing "right" and you've been an adult all of 10 minutes you've got to pull material from wherever you can.