Menu

Would you eat this?

EKS

I found it in MIL's refrigerator.  I'm pretty certain I bought it and opened it back three years ago.  No mold.  The last time we went through her refrigerator and got rid of the more elderly things, she had a fit.  I just wanted a reality check, as she seems to think we are totally nuts about expiration dates.

I found it in MIL's refrigerator.  I'm pretty certain I bought it and opened it back three years ago.  No mold.  The last time we went through her refrigerator and got rid of the more elderly things, she had a fit.  I just wanted a reality check, as she seems to think we are totally nuts about expiration dates.

WOW that is scary hope she never makes herself ill

I found it in MIL's refrigerator. I'm pretty certain I bought it and opened it back three years ago. No mold. The last time we went through her refrigerator and got rid of the more elderly things, she had a fit. I just wanted a reality check, as she seems to think we are totally nuts about expiration dates.

Point of fact: there is a certain person who has given my kids food poisoning twice. They thoroughly check her fridge and toss anything out of date when we visit now.

Point of fact: there is a certain person who has given my kids food poisoning twice. They thoroughly check her fridge and toss anything out of date when we visit now.

I've had this conversation with more than one set of elders. In fact, I am convinced that this is a basic duty to be performed for one's elders, on at least an annual basis.

Because, even though I'm usually a "yes", three-year-old salad dressing is very much a NO.

In fact, if it's been in the fridge for a year, it probably needs to go no matter what it is. Yes, there are a handful of exceptions, but only something that's *very* expensive and has a *super* long shelf life.

For my own home, I've found it's a good idea to choose a specific time of year to "eat down the pantry" annually. Sort of like spring cleaning, for your food storage. January is a good time, as most of us are a little short of cash post-holidays, and may have excess holiday leftovers to use up. And it's nice to begin cleaning the freezer so it's ready for new items from the coming summer harvest. The basic idea is to take an inventory of what you have, and come up with ways to use it, buying as little new food items as possible. If I can't find a way to use it, or don't want to, then I pass it on to someone else or toss it. My goal is by going through this exercise every year, none of the food in my home at any given time will be older than a year, and I'll have maximum use of my food storage areas with none of it cluttered up with stuff I won't or shouldn't use. I've done it for quite a few years now with much success. (If you're the sort of person who sticks to a very detailed menu and doesn't ever over-buy, because of either your personality or your budget, then you probably don't need to do this, but for those like me who always seem to have an expired bottle of salad dressing, half a box of some odd grain, and a freezer full of things that seemed like a good idea at the time, it can be a very useful exercise.)

No way!

My grandparents, who lived just down the road from our farm, were snowbirding one winter and we lost power during a storm. I got the job of cleaning out their fridge and freezer. Shudder. I don't even know what some of the stuff in there was or how long it had been in there.