Menu

My Husband was just diagnosed with Narcolepsy

abba12

The title says about all we know right now. He has been officially diagnosed with narcolepsy. His average falling asleep time during the test was about 55 seconds, with the longest being a minute and a half, and the shortest being only 30 seconds from lights out to full sleep.

He loses his licence temporarily, and can reapply in 3-6 months when his medication is sorted

I am blind, that means we are now housebound in a rural area with very little helpful family around

Thankfully a bus was just recently put in, he can get to work on that (provided he is still allowed to, since he works with big machines) but it wont get us much of anywhere else.

At least we have an answer now, but it's not the answer I'd been praying for.

His treatment is made a little more complicated by the fact he has a brugada ECG, a random heart abnormality which has never been an issue at all, however, prevents the use of various medications including the one he needs. In this instance the issues from the narcolepsy are far worse than the potential issues from the brugada, especially since he has never actually had a brugada episode, and there are options for surgery if he needed it, so he will almost definitely be given the medication, but we have the added step and expense now of getting approval from a cardiologist before he begins.

We are hopeful about his work. He has a number of things working in his favour there. He works computerized machines, and he is highly skilled, so even if he is not allowed to actually run the programs he may be able to continue programming them, and he is not quickly replacable. Also, it's a small company, the boss has watched him work just fine over the past 2 years  and liability works a little differently here. Since he is only going to get better from this point, and has shown no obvious effect on his work up until this point, he might be fine to continue. 

Financially things work differently here, I'm not sure about income protection etc, but we have a lot of social services here. I'm not *too* worried about that aspect right now, there will be something. We have quite a safety net in this country.

His treatment is made a little more complicated by the fact he has a brugada ECG, a random heart abnormality which has never been an issue at all, however, prevents the use of various medications including the one he needs. In this instance the issues from the narcolepsy are far worse than the potential issues from the brugada, especially since he has never actually had a brugada episode, and there are options for surgery if he needed it, so he will almost definitely be given the medication, but we have the added step and expense now of getting approval from a cardiologist before he begins.

We are hopeful about his work. He has a number of things working in his favour there. He works computerized machines, and he is highly skilled, so even if he is not allowed to actually run the programs he may be able to continue programming them, and he is not quickly replacable. Also, it's a small company, the boss has watched him work just fine over the past 2 years and liability works a little differently here. Since he is only going to get better from this point, and has shown no obvious effect on his work up until this point, he might be fine to continue.

Financially things work differently here, I'm not sure about income protection etc, but we have a lot of social services here. I'm not *too* worried about that aspect right now, there will be something. We have quite a safety net in this country.

That sounds hopeful. You can concentate on helping him get better rather than worry about work and basic survival.

Hope it goes well.

:grouphug: I hope you and your dh are able to get everything worked out while he deals with this. I don't know if there are different types of narcolepsy or different causes, but at least for some people it isn't always a permanent condition. A relative had it for about six months, and then it went away just as mysteriously as it came on.