Menu

S/O- family recipes or things your parents cooked you WILL NOT USE.

LucyStoner

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No onions in my beef stroganoff. And I tend to use really good cuts of beef (that's a great place for the floppy tail end of a tenderloin). And multiple kinds of mushrooms. My favorite time to make it is when my ultra-secret morel patch is fruiting.

I never ate much deer growing up--only when a neighbor made us some. I kept sneaking bites.

Even skinning, and butchering a deer in the back of my truck while my boys watched in horrified fascination at Mom hauling in body parts to further break down on the kitchen counter didn't change my taste-I love deer.

I make a roast with Arkansas Black Apples, shallots and juniper berries that is slow cooked to deliciousness, and I usually serve that with mashed potatoes. Mmmmmm.

Tongue.

I thought it was just an odd name for a cold cut. Then it once appeared on the table as a whole, cooked, warm tongue, about a foot long, IIRC.

Funny story about tongue.  When I was little I loved tongue. My father told me it was the cows tongue.  I did not believe him.  One day he took me to the deli with him.  There it was.  A giant tongue on a platter.  I never ate it again.

Like all good Pennsylvania Dutchies, my Mom used to made large batches of potpie - think noodles in gravy type dish, not an actual pie.  First you cook down a chicken, then use the broth to cook the homemade noodles.   But, when my Mom made it, she always added a pound block  ( a POUND!!!!) of chicken fat 'to add that extra goodness'.  Blech!!!   I still make it but there is no extra pound of chicken fat swimming in the pot.

Anything using animal flesh or fluids.

Aw, come on... animal fluids? Yummy!

(...Does anyone consume animal "fluids" besides blood? Maybe I shouldn't ask....)

**ETA: I was so busy thinking about fluids like semen or bile, or poop, and wondering if fish roe was a 'fluid,' that I forgot about milk.

Enough people have posted about milk, fine, I got it. The OP posted she was referring to milk and honey. Please stop replying! I get it! I am not sure I would consider honey an 'animal fluid,' but I understand the desire to use distinctive phrasing.

My mom used to make this recipe that was handed down from her mother and grandmother - Frankfurt Puprekash. (I'm sure I've butchered the spelling). It's basically watery potato soup with sliced hotdogs and a lot of paprika. She claims its Hungarian, but I think it's more likely a Depression-era recipe. It's truly awful though, and she's always telling me how disappointed she is that I won't be handing it down to my own children. :confused1:

So why does everyone hate beef stroganoff anyway? Steak, mushrooms, and onions in a sour cream sauce served over noodles. Yum!

Do you all not like sour cream, or did your mothers use some alternate gross recipe?

Alternate gross recipe. It was many years later when someone else made beef stroganoff for me that I discovered it's *not* supposed to have ketchup in the sauce. It might have been tomato sauce, I don't know. But you get the picture. It didn't taste quite as bad as it looked but it was hard to get past the visual on that one.

We are from Louisiana, and have French ancestry- my mom learned to cook from her grandma and my dads (very Cajun) mom.

My moms cooking was and is awesome- so I try to make almost all her dishes just like she did/does.

I have never been more thankful for my moms cooking than when I read threads like this ;)

Never even heard of some of this stuff!!!

I guess I can say..... I don't buy or use Hogshead cheese.... That's about it.....

Salad made with iceberg lettuce and topped with "Pink Dressing" (a mix of ketchup and mayo).

Fried eggplant - I like eggplant, but my parents would bread and fry it so that the eggplant ended up covered in burnt breadcrumbs and barely cooked inside,

Scalloped potatoes from a box. I've tried making them from scratch and don't like them much better though - I'm not sure why because potatoes and dairy products are usually right up my alley.

You don't like scalloped potatoes made from scratch??? Are you making them right????

With yummy garlic and cooked in heavy cream??

I'll join the No Cool Whip contingent. My grandmother just adored Cool Whip, and I made the mistake of eating some to be polite. She was delighted that I shared her undying enthusiasm for Cool Whip, and from then on she slathered it on anything remotely sweet. Cool Whip on cake. Cool Whip on fruit. On toast. Tragically, on the beautiful cream scones one of her students gave her. Frozen Cool Whip in coffee. Frozen Cool Whip with chocolate sauce ("You can't even tell it's not ice cream!").

The first laugh I had after she died was when we were cleaning out her house and found approximately seven thousand empty Cool Whip containers, carefully washed and stacked in her cupboard.

I was lucky to grow up with a mom that loved cooking, so most everything was pretty good. I still refuse to eat tofu though. Yuck.

I also won't use margerine, thankfully my mom has seen the error of her ways and doesn't use it anymore. ;)

Most recipes she has made I love, as long as it doesn't have tofu... or brussel sprouts... or squash. <.<

I refuse to make the following two recipes that my mom felt were fabulicious. I will provide them for anyone who might have her sort of taste buds:

Really Special Dessert:

Wonder bread (only bought for this recipe)

Hershey's chocolate syrup

Grape jelly

Slather one piece of bread with chocolate syrup and another with grape jelly. Squish them together with a rolling pin. Cut into attractive triangles. Oh, how delicious!

Peanut Butter and Jelly on Caraway Seed Rolls. Not too bad after I plucked out all 200 little caraway seeds. Luckily, I had classmates who would share their lunches with me.

I think her creative cooking was a secret ploy to get us kids cooking at a young age and it worked. Even my four brothers are decent cooks.

Funny story about tongue.  When I was little I loved tongue. My father told me it was the cows tongue.  I did not believe him.  One day he took me to the deli with him.  There it was.  A giant tongue on a platter.  I never ate it again.

That is exactly what happened to me. I rather liked it. The we had the whole tongue on a platter on our table. At first, I thought it was just like a whole salami or something, round, just a shape. I did not believe it was an actual tongue at first. Gross!!!

My dad cooked more than my mom and I think they were both pretty good cooks, there's not really anything I can think of that I wouldn't eat now. Not a lot that I loved so much I cook them myself, but there are a few things.

The only things I can think of are that my mom learned from her mom to overcook veggies. I hated asparagus because she cooked it until it was stringy mush and she also overcooks corn on the cob. As an adult I learned to roast or blanch asparagus and I love it now- it's slightly crisp and delicious, and I barely cook corn on the cob and prefer it crunchy and not whithered little kernels.

Canned pear halves filled with mayonnaise and sprinkled with cheddar cheese.

Ha!  My grandma used to make this!  Our second duty station after we got married was Colorado Springs, where my grandparents had retired, so dh and I went over to their house for dinner quite a few times.  Once she had canned pear halves in bowls at each place setting, and then there was a bowl of white stuff and another bowl of shredded cheese on the table.  Well, we were having baked potatoes as well, so dh and I assumed the white stuff was sour cream, and we used both it and the shredded cheese on our potatoes.  Grandma was amazed that we were putting those things on our potatoes (because you only use butter and/or salt and pepper on potatoes, don't you know) and told us the mayo and cheese were for the pears, which absolutely amazed us!  Blech!  And mayo isn't that great on baked potatoes either, LOL--it's definitely not sour cream!

My mom is a really good cook, though, and I use a lot of her recipes.  One thing that helped was that our family was stationed on Okinawa when I was in 1st though 4th grades.  My mom had some good Japanese friends who taught her how to steam veggies, make stir-fries, etc.  I think that before that assignment, she boiled stuff like broccoli, but never afterward.  And stuff that she liked but no one else did (even my dad), like liver and onions--well, she would order that in restaurants for herself, but never cook at home.  Whew!

Basically I make very little that my mum made as she loved (and still does) it all to be bland as she just doesn't get seasoning or herbs and spice. She over cooks everything to the point that she likes it burnt to know it was done and boils veggies flaccid and grey. She also relies on frozen things you just heat up.  I learnt to cook when I had kids so I've had to make my own way in this department. My mum is weirdly proud of her fussy eating and lack of cooking skills.

I find pork chops difficult to cook well.  They are so easy to overcook.  And then at that point it's like chewing on shoe leather.

This was the problem.  I was forced to finish mine even though they were very tough.  I have horrid memories of chewing & chewing & chewing cold meat.  Yuck.

My mom made horrible split pea soup.  It made me gag every time I ate it but she forced us to eat it-- I thought I must hate Split Pea soup.

Imagine my surprise when I tried a can of Progresso Split Pea as an adult--and it was good! And I started making it from scratch--and it was good! The color and texture still kind of strike me as odd. 

I don't know WHAT her recipe was.  But something was very wrong---

B--

Oh--and SOS.  Supposedly my dad "fell in love" with this when he was in the military.  Some kind of nasty gray gravy with bits of chopped up boiled eggs and chipped beef in it.  Served over toast.

I believe the abbreviation is (something nasty) On a Shingle. 

Nasty stuff.  My mom made it for a "special breakfast".

B--

I never thought about this until you posted. Wow, there are a lot of things we don't eat now that we regularly ate as children:

• Spam
  • Canned corned beef
  • Scrapple
  • Bacon
  • Pork roll
  • Hot dogs
  • Bologna
  • Olive loaf (luncheon meat; bologna with green pimiento-stuffed olives) -- The Nemesis of My Childhood :tongue_smilie:
  • TV dinners
  • LaChoy
  • Tuna Helper
  • Hamburger Helper
  • Rice-a-Roni
  • Minute Rice
  • Creamed chipped beef (gag)
  • Luncheon meat called "olive loaf"
  • Bologna
  • Overcooked vegetables (we lightly steam; my mother boiled them in water)
  • Most canned vegetables (e.g., canned peas, green beans, corn -- no; canned kidney beans -- sometimes; but usually we soak and cook dried Roman beans)
  • Iceberg lettuce (gas)
  • Rhubarb (How about some rhubarb pie? Pucker!)
  • Margarine in and on everything
  • Ketchup in and on everything (I've never had any ketchup in our house)
  • Salt in and on everything
  • Sugar in and on everything
  • Saccharine or aspartame
  • Canned peaches in heavy syrup
  • Canned pears in heavy syrup
  • Lime Jello with raisins, crushed pineapple, and grated carrots (gag)
  • Actually, in the past 20 years, I haven't cooked with any kind of jello! (I just realized this)
  • Donuts
  • Butter pecan ice cream
  • Cherry vanilla ice cream (beat me with a garden hose, gag)
  • Sanka (fake nasty instant "coffee")
  • Choc-Full-O-Nuts (fake nasty "coffee" made from chicory)
  • Coffee Mate (non-dairy creamer) :001_rolleyes:
  • Frosted Flakes cereal
  • Cocoa Puffs cereal
  • Captain Crunch cereal
  • Super Sugar Crisps cereal
  • Lucky Charms cereal
  • Apple Jacks cereal
  • Frosted Mini-Wheats cereal
  • Corn Pops cereal
  • Honey Combs cereal :huh:
  • You get the idea... my children only know Cheerios, Granola, and Kix. They eat a lot of oatmeal, eggs, fruit, homemade scones, and yogurt for breakfast.
  • Anything with soggy bread
  • Soggy cookies, soaked in tea
  • White bread

For a snack, we used to have a slice of Wonder bread (white), spread with margarine and sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon. 

I wonder what my children will say about my cooking in 40 years. I know my parents did what they knew to do, and did well to put food on the table. I'm actually amazed at HOW MUCH our food choices have changed in 40 years. Amazing!

Pretty much everything I cook is completely different than what my mom made or what I grew up on.  

We had lots of Hamburger Helper - Don't touch it now.

Boiled vegetable pot (cabbage, carrots, broccoli, whatever veggie she had on hand, thrown in a pot of water and cooked until mushy) - Most of my veggies are steamed or roasted now...never a boiled pot.

Spaghetti with breakfast sausage in the meat - Why?  I'll never know.  I was SO glad to never have to eat that again.

5lb Pancakes (Bisquick pancakes that were huge, thick and super heavy) - I make them from scratch now and use REAL maple syrup.

We also ate TONS of lunchmeat, chips, soda, white bread, sugary cereal and ice cream that came in those big ol' plastic buckets.  While we do occasionally have lunchmeat and chips, sodas are for special occasions, and I don't buy sugary cereal, white bread or cheap ice cream.

Elbow macaroni with a can of stewed tomatoes thrown on top of it.

Egg noodles with stew beef.

Goulash which was macaroni with stew tomatoes and really cheap ground beef (chunks of gristle/bone)

Liver

LaChoy - haven't had it since I was a child but actually back then it was one of the better meals

TV Dinners - complete with wrinkly, tough peas and some kind of chewy, tough meat

Dressing with oysters (don't like oysters and they were in everything)

Gravy with chicken liver, kidneys,  and stuff - ack!

Cow Tongue

Tacos with meat in a pool of grease

Bologna

Pimento loaf

Cheap salami with peppercorns

canned spaghetti, macaroni and cheese, chili

Also, I do use foil, saran wrap, ziplocs - as well as parchment and wax paper.  I grew up bringing my sandwiches from home wrapped in only wax paper.  It never held the sandwich.

Early in my marriage my husband loved and made (still does some and gets once in awhile just for him):

Tuna Helper - Tettrazini

Macaroni and cheese with tuna

creamed tuna on toast

and other various boxed, processed meals 

I dislike cooking and eating anything in a box.  Yuck!

Canned veggies, squeeze cheese. 

When I was going through my father's stuff after he had passed, I found a handwritten cook book from the 60's written half in english and half scottish gaelic - from nova scotia.  I thoroughly enjoyed looking through it and trying to translate the recipes... but I won't be cooking anything from there.  Marag?  Pot Roast covered in MSG?  Nah....  

Pressure-cooker, cooked-to mush green beans with pork grease.  Ugh! I could barely get those down, and the smell of them cooking still gags me! (My mother and mil still cook them this way.)

This is the "typical Southern" way of cooking green beans (and some other veggies too!). Let em get huge and tough on the vine and cook them to mush. Add a glop of bacon grease from the jar in the fridge for "flavor".

:ack2:

I'd always hated them. Later in adulthood,  I went to a ritzy restauruant and my entree came with green beans. Imagine my surprise when they served tender, young, tasty green beans steamed to crisp perfection with a light buttery glaze! I loved them!

I described these beans to my mil when we got back and she sniffed. "That's the way Yankees fix beans." I pretty much said. "They were great!"

That's when I started growing green beans and liking them. I'd just never had them served properly before.