Menu

Do you think teens are more appearance-aware today than years ago?

Janie Grace

Ha! Paula, your list takes me right back to high school! But you forgot the Jordache and Calvin Klein.  :coolgleamA: Oh, my gosh, I can still see the pocket design of all the different jeans brands. And Izod shirts were worn with the collar up, lol.

My teens couldn't care less about their clothes. My dd doesn't wear make-up. They are not representative of the teens in our extended family, though. Yes, appearance definitely matters to them! But not any more than when we were teens. 

Okay, Paula, let's hit Metro North for some jean shopping. We'll be sure to ask the salesperson how to keep them nice and dark. How about some new Nikes at Foot Locker? Then we can swing through Spencer's just for fun. We'll top it off by getting giant cinnamon rolls and watching Sixteen Candles on Netfilx.  B)

Yes, but we have to go to Orange Julius because there is a cute guy that works there.  :laugh: There we have to hit the record store and have a slice at Original Pizza. 

Most of my fond memories of youth involved Metro North. I should write a book.  :coolgleamA: Either that or cruising around Antioch mall. May they both RIP. 

I think that's just the teen mindset in all generations. Looking at pictures of my grandma and her sisters, they spent WAY more time getting their hair, makeup, and clothes just right back in the 40s and 50s. Of course, they were also trying to catch a husband in the 10th grade lol.

I'm just eternally grateful that I came of age in the midst of grunge, when wearing a flannel over a torn up band T-shirt and long flowery skirt with combat boots and unbrushed hair was totally fashion forward.

(Yes, this is an actual outfit that I wore in high school.)

Hey! I had the same outfit! Sweet!

Michele

I think teens now are way more obsessed with their looks. Of course, I grew up in the days of hippies--clothes were very cheap because you just got them out of dumpsters... 

I think this depended on your social circle. My mom graduated high school in '71 and she remembers shopping at the very first Limited store in Upper Arlington, OH (affluent suburb of Columbus). My mom thought it was funny that Limited was a "cool" store when I was a teen because it was the "cool" place to buy clothes at her high school, too!

ETA: My mom wasn't much of a clotheshorse but her slightly older sister was a cheerleader and would INSIST on doing the back-to-school shopping there.

I think it's easy to see what's happening online and think that it's a reflection of what's happening in the real world. I have a similar experience when I look at Pinterest or blogs and think that everyone has a gorgeous homeschool room with amazing murals and perfect little craft tables. It isn't really true for most of us.  I'm guessing that teens posting selfies etc are doing a similar thing- showing an idealized version of themselves.  I think that in general, they're probably less conscious of how they look than I was at that age.  

Oh how tall my bangs were!

No. I graduated in 97 and no one wore pajamas out in public. Spirit days were the only time I saw my classmates in public in pajamas. Now it seems like every time leave the house I see several teens in pjs

That drives me crazy. Every time we see people in public in pajamas I must make the same face because dh starts saying, "don't say anything! stop making that face!"

:lol:

Yes, but we have to go to Orange Julius because there is a cute guy that works there.  :laugh: There we have to hit the record store and have a slice at Original Pizza. 

Most of my fond memories of youth involved Metro North. I should write a book.  :coolgleamA: Either that or cruising around Antioch mall. May they both RIP. 

How could I have forgotten Original Pizza?! And Orange Julius-- I remember when someone had to go and announce the calorie count in those, not that I cared. And the record store...oh, how I miss it. When I was about 12, my friend's dad was the manager at one of them, I can't remember which one, and he let me have the life size Shaun Cassidy when they were finished with it!!!! It stood in my room forever and scared my mom to death every time she opened my door.  :laugh:

Some of my earliest memories involve Antioch before it was covered. Do you remember when it was outdoors? 

And Metro North--how many thousands of hours did I spend there? So many memories...My girl scout troop, which was conveniently also my dance class, performed Rhinestone Cowboy under the hot air balloons. That was just the first in a line of many.  :lol:

Maybe we could co-author.  :laugh:

No, I don't think teens are MORE appearance aware today.  I think today it's more like a "pick your own style -- anything goes" look, so they don't feel the stress to fit in.  It's more of an artistic expression or extension of personality.

I was a teen in the 70's when designer clothes were just starting to become popular, and labels was very important.  All the girls wanted to have a very specific hairdo (kind of flipped back in front, all up and down the sides).  So whereas attention to appearance is still important today, it's different.  It's not as important to look a certain way and wear the right clothes;  it's just fun to express yourself through your hairstyle and clothes.

Perms were also big in the late 70s to mid 80s. I endured a lot of perms. It was stupid. Except for a cowlick, I have straighter than straight hair. My friends who had wavy or curly hair were trying to flattening their hair. Designer labels were in. I had a pair of Calvin Klein jeans. Do you remember Brooke Shields saying "nothing comes between me and my Calvin's" ?

Dd attends a public high school in a reasonably affluent area. Her classmates range from very well off ( new cars for birthday, no need to worry about money for college) to struggling financially ( school has over 30% of students qualifying for free lunch). It is definitely an interesting mix. Dd shops at Target and Kohls. She tends not to care what anyone else thinks. I recently introduced her to an upscale consignment shop when she needed pants.

It is somewhat interesting that dd attends the same high school as I did. The demographics were the same financially. When I attended there was only a small amount of nationalities represented, but a good mix of black and white kids with both groups spread across the financial spectrum. Today, there are kids with families from many nations from every continent (except one). Again, the financial spectrum puts various groups at both ends.

Based on dd I think it's easier for a teen to dress today. Dd does know a few girls who arise very early (4:30 or 5) to do hair and makeup. School starts at 7:15. Dd showers at night. She gets up at 6:20 and walks to school, leaving the house at 6:35. She thinks the early risers are crazy.

Absolutely not.  I think appearance has been on teens minds (at the forefront possibly), at least once we developed what can be construed as a more modern/civilized society.

I know as a teenager in the 80's, I would not have dreamed of being seen anywhere, even at my mailbox, w/o my hair done and full make-up on, and my peers were the same.  Fashions in the 80's were also very important (and goofy).

How could I have forgotten Original Pizza?! And Orange Julius-- I remember when someone had to go and announce the calorie count in those, not that I cared. And the record store...oh, how I miss it. When I was about 12, my friend's dad was the manager at one of them, I can't remember which one, and he let me have the life size Shaun Cassidy when they were finished with it!!!! It stood in my room forever and scared my mom to death every time she opened my door.  :laugh:

Some of my earliest memories involve Antioch before it was covered. Do you remember when it was outdoors? 

And Metro North--how many thousands of hours did I spend there? So many memories...My girl scout troop, which was conveniently also my dance class, performed Rhinestone Cowboy under the hot air balloons. That was just the first in a line of many.  :lol:

Maybe we could co-author.  :laugh:

Shaun Cassidy! :svengo: 

Yes, we lived by Antioch when I was younger and we ate at the Forum Cafeteria all the time. I remember spending hours in Anderson's Book Store. Then there was Sears for back to school clothes shopping. 

My first job was Children's Palace across the street from Metro North. Toy store at christmas time, that was wild. 

Anyone remember this sweater? https://www.etsy.com/listing/171754252/sale-vintage-80s-yellow-knitted-sweater?ref=market

I had it in turquoise. My sister had raspberry pink. There was one fall where I swear EVERYBODY on campus had one or even more of theses sweaters. You could do the V in front or back.

Mine was pink.

I think young people have always been aware of their appearance...but there have also always been young people who were clueless, lol.

Well, in my case, cluelessness was bliss! Based on all the recollections in this thread, I am very glad for all the time I saved by not caring! I read lots of books instead. ;)

It was an awesome sweater lol. It was just flattering on everyone. I preferred the V in front over a wife beater (sorry, what else would you call those undershirts? I would like a better name for them).

I had a mint green one. Depending on the weather, I wore it over a white tank top or a white turtleneck. I always wore the v in the front.

I think it depends on how far back you go.  I also think it depends on where you live and how much money you have.  When I was in school no one cared what you were wearing as long as you had clothes on (today even that is optional). 

I also think it can make a difference if you are in school or home schooled.

I think it depends on how far back you go.  I also think it depends on where you live and how much money you have.  When I was in school no one cared what you were wearing as long as you had clothes on (today even that is optional). 

I also think it can make a difference if you are in school or home schooled.

What I noticed was that my girls were delayed in becoming concerned about their appearance.  I would even say several years behind their public schooled friends/family.  That was perfectly fine with me.  They have all (except the twins) reached that point.  My middle dd still isn't really into make up, although she wears it on occasion, but she is very concerned about her clothes looking right.  My oldest is a mom to an 18 mo. old,, and I rarely see her in make up any more.  :lol:

No.

Late 80s teen here.  Post punk, anyone?  (Thank you, Luther.)  I guess you could call it pre-Goth.  We weren't looking for Izod, but did it come from Smash?  Commander Salamander?  Is that Manic Panic in your hair?

Grunge was so much easier.  What a relief.

First concert?  Billy Idol in 7th grade.  [hangs head in shame]  ...And, yes, met my DH at a Depeche Mode concert, one of many.  

No.

Late 80s teen here.  Post punk, anyone?  (Thank you, Luther.)  I guess you could call it pre-Goth.  We weren't looking for Izod, but did it come from Smash?  Commander Salamander?  Is that Manic Panic in your hair?

Grunge was so much easier.  What a relief.

First concert?  Billy Idol in 7th grade.  [hangs head in shame]  ...And, yes, met my DH at a Depeche Mode concert, one of many.  

Commander Salamander! I had forgotten about that shop in Georgetown!

Is Manic Panic hair dye?

It sounds like what I used to dye Link's hair for Halloween last year...

Yes, and they still make it. I currently have pink streaks. DS has blue. Apparently we are going back to my 80s roots. (We put our streaks in to go see Katy Perry, but they've been fun!)

Shaun Cassidy! :svengo:

Yes, we lived by Antioch when I was younger and we ate at the Forum Cafeteria all the time. I remember spending hours in Anderson's Book Store. Then there was Sears for back to school clothes shopping. 

My first job was Children's Palace across the street from Metro North. Toy store at christmas time, that was wild. 

We lived close to Antioch also, and ate at the Forum at least twice a week--every Sunday after church and at least once for dinner during the week. I loved to get one of those oblong balloons on a stick as we left.  :001_smile: Garanimals at Sears in the early years, lol. I saw Star Wars for the first time at the Antioch Theatre, across the street and up a little from the shopping center. I think it was called the Antioch Theatre. It had gold lights that encircled the oblong marquee. So many trips to Children's Palace. And oh, my, Shaun...

He was my first concert. :)

Mine too!!! My friend's mom took us. Right before he started to sing, we yelled in unison, "We love you, Shaun!" And guess what he said?! "I love you, too." And then the whole arena SCREAMED. Little girl screams. :lol: Still one of my favorite memories.  

Anyone remember this sweater? https://www.etsy.com/listing/171754252/sale-vintage-80s-yellow-knitted-sweater?ref=market

I had it in turquoise. My sister had raspberry pink. There was one fall where I swear EVERYBODY on campus had one or even more of theses sweaters. You could do the V in front or back.

Mine was turquoise, too. I always wore the V in the front over another shirt with nearly neon colors on it.  :coolgleamA:  It looked great with the huge hair and tons of make-up. :laugh:

About teens today--- the constant picture taking does bother me a bit, especially when they alter nearly every photo of themselves before allowing it to go "public," which is another thing we just couldn't imagine. If I want to know about the latest photo editing app, I ask a teen. They know how to whiten their teeth, smooth their skin, "pop" their eyes, etc. etc. And they do it FAST, lol. 

If we'd had the technology, I'm sure we would've done the same thing, though.

We lived close to Antioch also, and ate at the Forum at least twice a week--every Sunday after church and at least once for dinner during the week. I loved to get one of those oblong balloons on a stick as we left. :001_smile: Garanimals at Sears in the early years, lol. I saw Star Wars for the first time at the Antioch Theatre, across the street and up a little from the shopping center. I think it was called the Antioch Theatre. It had gold lights that encircled the oblong marquee. So many trips to Children's Palace. And oh, my, Shaun...

Mine too!!! My friend's mom took us. Right before he started to sing, we yelled in unison, "We love you, Shaun!" And guess what he said?! "I love you, too." And then the whole arena SCREAMED. Little girl screams. :lol: Still one of my favorite memories.

Mine was turquoise, too. I always wore the V in the front over another shirt with nearly neon colors on it. :coolgleamA: It looked great with the huge hair and tons of make-up. :laugh:

About teens today--- the constant picture taking does bother me a bit, especially when they alter nearly every photo of themselves before allowing it to go "public," which is another thing we just couldn't imagine. If I want to know about the latest photo editing app, I ask a teen. They know how to whiten their teeth, smooth their skin, "pop" their eyes, etc. etc. And they do it FAST, lol.

Maybe it helps that they are savvy about Photoshop, less likely to be duped by the images coming at them.

I have two teenaged girls right now and I think they are WAY more obsessed than I remember being. I definitely wanted Guess jeans and had to have my bangs perfectly styled. I was prom queen my senior year so I was part of a group that cared about their looks/mage.

What I see now seems ridiculous to me. These girls are CONSTANTLY bombarded by images. They not only have TV, movies, and magazines but Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. It's everywhere. I think it's completely unhealthy. Because teens chronicle so much of their lives on social media the pressure to look perfect is intense.

I am so surprised at the responses I've seen in this thread. In my house my girls are all about their clothes, hair, makeup, body size, etc. And I don't think they are abnormal. My daughters' friends are all the same way.

Be thankful if your teen girls aren't obsessed with their looks. It worries me so much for them. I can't imagine having the pressure to look perfect that they seem to be surrounded by. My girls have always been homeschooled and my oldest is now in college. They did not see me obsessing about my looks. I truly believe it comes from the world they live in.

Elise in NC

I would say appreance - no. "Se*y" - absolutely. I don't remember ever wanting to be anything but "cute" or "pretty". Anyone wanting to look overtly "se*y" was considered sleazy or loose.

My junior year of high school ('94) I can remember a distinct shift in fashion to more form-fitting and s*xy styles. Oversize T's and overalls were out and babydoll tees with microminis were in.

No. I grew up in the 80s, designer everything was key and everyone knew the fake from the real. Izod, Polo, Gloria Vanderbilt, Nikes, yup brand names were high on the list. If you didn't have at least one polo or Izod shirt, you were out. I was out. 

My son wears clothes from walmart, Target, and Kohls, doesn't care about brand or fashion in the least. 

Even girls, I see wanting certain styles, but not necessarily expensive name brands. It's easier to replicate styles on a budget now. 

This is my observation too.  My daughter is very fashion conscience, she doesn't care where it came from as long as she can use it to put something together.  Oh, they prefer AE and Areopostle, but as long as it looks good on them that's all that really matters.  More then anything what I hear from my new teen and teen nephews is that "I don't care what everyone else thinks, I like it".  My one nephew loves bright and tight clothes, he might get a funny look or two in his small mid-western town but for the most part it's not an issue.  

I was pretty oblivious to style and fashion as a teen (late 80s/early 90s). I didn't wear make-up until after college and then only the tiniest bit. I dressed acceptably (Gap, Express, etc) but it wasn't a big focus.

I was definitely on the non-girly side of the spectrum, but I don't remember even the most prissy/fashionable/"popular" girls being as appearance-aware as most teens seem now. Social media seems to indicate that their appearance is a HUGE priority and focus now (fake tans, hair dyed, brows waxed, makeup heavy and perfect, hair straightened, bodies postured to look sexy, etc). I look at photos of my high school classmates and it's so different -- girls just being goofy, hair in ponytails, baggy shorts, etc. I'm wondering if the difference is the advent of the internet -- Facebook, selfies, Instagram, etc... this constant pressure to display your face/body the way models do. I wonder if, before girls were constantly capturing and showing the world their image, there was more freedom to just not worry about it that much. 

What do you think? Has the pressure to look pretty/hot increased? Is it linked to the internet? Or have most teen girls been pretty looks-obsessed for millennia?  

Maybe you were a teen in the grungy 90s.  Oh yeah, just saw that in your post :)  My teen years were mostly in the 80s and it was definitely image-obsessed--lots of MTV influence and teen magazines (Seventeen and the little mags with pull-out posters of stars).

betsy

We lived close to Antioch also, and ate at the Forum at least twice a week--every Sunday after church and at least once for dinner during the week. I loved to get one of those oblong balloons on a stick as we left.  :001_smile: Garanimals at Sears in the early years, lol. I saw Star Wars for the first time at the Antioch Theatre, across the street and up a little from the shopping center. I think it was called the Antioch Theatre. It had gold lights that encircled the oblong marquee. So many trips to Children's Palace. And oh, my, Shaun...

:laugh:

Oh, the theater. I remember seeing Star Wars there at the beginning of 4th grade and seeing it again at the same theater at the END of 4th grade. 

THE SHAKER KNIT SWEATER!  Of course.  I had a couple of those, and I'd wear them with my really long pearl necklace, knotted :)  And a gazillion bracelets.

betsy

Oh yes!  I had at least one, but can't recall the color.  Loved it!