Menu

School Supply Sales... Finally!

Walmart has finally started having their school supply sales.  Am I late to the party?  I must resist the urge to go to Office Depot for cuter supplies.  There is nothing wrong with 50 cent composition notebooks.  I only bought 4 but I'm hoping they'll get more colors in.  

I reallllly wanted to buy three different types of colored pencils.  Did you know they make erasable ones now?  When did that happen?   How good are they?  I put them all back and settled for one pack of Twistables.

And the dividers were soooo tempting.  5 tabs, nice and plastic and write-on-able.  So much better than the ones you stick the little cardboard into the tab which falls out.  ... must resist... already own plenty of dividers... must resist

My formerly (currently?) homeschooled dd starts private school next month, so my school supplies must conform a bit.  But I am enjoying color coding EVERYTHING.  Can we say I put pink and purple mechanical pencils in her pink and purple binder, along with pink and purple highlighters and pink and purple sharpies and pink and purple sticky notes?  Oh yes I did.  Same for her yellow and green binder.  Same for her blue binder.  Same for her orange binder.  Ah, color coding.

As much as I love pencils and sharpeners, I have to admit that it bugs me to see "school supplies" out in mid-July. Summer has just started here and it already feels like it's slipping by too quickly. I don't need any reminders that vacation days are numbered. :crying:  

A few years ago we were able to get deals on school supplies within a few days of July 4th. This year they are really taking their time getting everything out. Dh was in Walmart on Monday and said they had some stuff out, but not everything. I'm SO eager to get our supplies, because we started our new school year last week. The dc have random papers everywhere already. We need binders and dividers NOW!

(I'm going to buy double of what we need so I can stash 2015-16 supplies in a cabinet and won't have this problem again next year, since we like to start in early July. Then when supplies go on sale in 2015, we can stock up for 2016.)

As much as I love pencils and sharpeners, I have to admit that it bugs me to see "school supplies" out in mid-July. Summer has just started here and it already feels like it's slipping by too quickly. I don't need any reminders that vacation days are numbered. :crying:  

Our church uses VBS to collect school supplies for the local elementary school, so we are thankful the sales have started already!

Staples has terrible sales this year, no sign of the penny deals.

I know! I was at Staples on Sunday and asked about the penny deals. The cashier had no idea if they will offer them this year and was trying to tell me how much lower their prices were this year. Yeah, lower than a penny? Not!

I had so many school/office supplies left over from my grads that my rising first grader is only just now needing his own! YAY!!!!!! There isn't a Mr. Ethel to threaten me with divorce this time around so I can hardly wait to run through the aisles of Staples (or the Office Max website, but that's not as fun a visual) screaming "CHARGE"!!!!!!!! and throwing cute binders and pretty coloured pencils in my cart.

It's the most wonderful time of the year.....

Yea, I really am this strange; just be glad I'm not your mother. ;)

I reallllly wanted to buy three different types of colored pencils. Did you know they make erasable ones now? When did that happen? How good are they? I put them all back and settled for one pack of Twistables.

That reminds me of a few years ago when I was at Walmart for supplies. My 5th child is a lefty and so when it was time, I dutifully searched for a left-handed scissors. Couldn't find one anywhere! I finally asked a clerk and she looked at me like I had just crawled out of a remote cave in Siberia and told me they don't make them anymore. All modern school scissors were made for both righties AND lefties. Boy, did I feel stupid and wishing I was back in that cave.

My formerly (currently?) homeschooled dd starts private school next month, so my school supplies must conform a bit.  But I am enjoying color coding EVERYTHING.  Can we say I put pink and purple mechanical pencils in her pink and purple binder, along with pink and purple highlighters and pink and purple sharpies and pink and purple sticky notes?  Oh yes I did.  Same for her yellow and green binder.  Same for her blue binder.  Same for her orange binder.  Ah, color coding.

I think this is awesome! 

A private school color-coding funny: 

When my son was in second grade, the school color coded by grade. Now, can you imagine having 60 kids in each grade all with the same color school supplies?  Who thought that up?

Unless otherwise specified, his supplies were supposed to be orange. Well, we had to buy several notebooks, a pencil case, all with specified colors - it turned out there was only one supply on his entire list that wasn't "otherwise specified." So, he had an orange ruler, as did every other kid in the class. I'm not sure how that helped anyone! 

Staples has $.17 spiral notebooks and$.15 folders. not as good as .01, but not bad.

School starts here Aug 4, so if anything, they're cutting getting supplies out late, and many of the national sales won't happen until after school starts. I always do my stocking up after school starts, but before Labor Day, when school supply prices go up.

Can anyone clue me in on pencils? Ds is redshirted in HWT but wants to do dictation and creative writing as well this year and we have golf pencils and a nice sharpener, but I was really excited to see ads on Amazon for short mechanical pencils. Would these work for a wiggly little boy or am I just setting myself up for a lot of arguments about "Stop playing with your pencil and do your work.", "We're almost out of leads and you just WASTED that one? No more Netflix for you!"

Also anything newfangled that would be Lisa Franklike but for boys.

I know! I was at Staples on Sunday and asked about the penny deals. The cashier had no idea if they will offer them this year and was trying to tell me how much lower their prices were this year. Yeah, lower than a penny? Not!

I was wondering about Staples also as I heard they are having difficulty as a company.  I miss my 15% all you can fit into their bag day that I usually buy my kiddos supplies then!

Myra

None of my kids ever liked crayons much.  They prefer markers and colored pencils. 

I've got one of those, but we're doing Saxon 1 so the crayons are for ME!!!!! I'm sure I need the 64 pack with the built in sharpener and it has to be Crayola because the others don't smell quite right. ;)

I'm such a dork.

That reminds me of a few years ago when I was at Walmart for supplies. My 5th child is a lefty and so when it was time, I dutifully searched for a left-handed scissors. Couldn't find one anywhere! I finally asked a clerk and she looked at me like I had just crawled out of a remote cave in Siberia and told me they don't make them anymore. All modern school scissors were made for both righties AND lefties. Boy, did I feel stupid and wishing I was back in that cave.

Actually, that's not true.  Most scissors claim to be for both handedness, but the blades are still in a righty position, so it's difficult to cut with left hands.  Fiskars makes true lefty scissors.  The blades are reversed, so a lefty can actually see what she's doing.  (My dd is a lefty.  So am I but I learned to cut like a righty.)

I've got one of those, but we're doing Saxon 1 so the crayons are for ME!!!!! I'm sure I need the 64 pack with the built in sharpener and it has to be Crayola because the others don't smell quite right. ;)

I'm such a dork.

No, no, I agree.  All crayons MUST be crayola.  Any other kind gets thrown away in my house.  

And have you seen the 96 pack?  It's so awesome.  I've had one for years.  I don't use them much, but I like owning my crayons.

Can anyone clue me in on pencils? Ds is redshirted in HWT but wants to do dictation and creative writing as well this year and we have golf pencils and a nice sharpener, but I was really excited to see ads on Amazon for short mechanical pencils. Would these work for a wiggly little boy or am I just setting myself up for a lot of arguments about "Stop playing with your pencil and do your work.", "We're almost out of leads and you just WASTED that one? No more Netflix for you!"

Also anything newfangled that would be Lisa Franklike but for boys.

Maybe he would like Mead's Loyal Army line?  http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/213093/Mead-Fashion-Notebook-Loyal-Army-8/

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/789225/Mead-Decorative-Pocket-Prong-Portfolio-Loyal/

And have you seen the 96 pack?  It's so awesome.  I've had one for years.  I don't use them much, but I like owning my crayons.

If I don't, there's always Amazon! As long as it contains blue, red, and green then I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED one!

I'm such a dork.

My roommate in college got me a 64-pack for Christmas.  One of the best gifts I've ever received. :)

My last homeschooled kids are now in college and I asked ds the other day if he wanted to go shopping for school supplies. He told me he has plenty of stuff. I asked about spiral notebooks and he said he has a couple that only have a few pages used and he'll use those. 

Pretty sure he was switched at birth. No child of mine would turn down school supplies. That's just crazy talk. 

Pretty sure he was switched at birth. No child of mine would turn down school supplies. That's just crazy talk.

Bring your granddaughters for school supplies shopping instead?

I'm still overstock on school supplies. I only need school glue.

ToysRUs usually have Crayola crayons and markers (and other) buy 1 get 1 free sales. In my sales flyer (go to the website to see yours) it shows that it is currently in effect. I usually stock up during that sale.

ToysRUs usually have at least a week of buy 1 get 2 free sales for Crayola. I used those sales to get the twistables my kids like.

I would love to do that except two things: they live 900 miles away and dd has a bigger office supply addiction than I do so she has already overshopped for this school year. How inconsiderate. 

Awww, my grandma always took us back to school shopping every year!  It was a huge event with all eligible grandchildren going at the same time.  It was ridiculous but made for some wonderful memories, all of us running around the Hills Department Store and then going out to eat afterwards.

Just a reminder that many school supplies are great for donation to organizations like Operation Christmas Child that sends boxes overseas for kids in need.  We usually buy scissors, markers, colored pencils and sharpeners, pens and pencils, small notebooks,. glue sticks and scotch tape. Some people like to put together their own boxes of items, but often churches that collect the boxes, also accept random donations.  They use those donation to make even more boxes, or to bump up the contents on boxes that are a little light. Collection time is in the fall in mid-November. 

Actually, that's not true. Most scissors claim to be for both handedness, but the blades are still in a righty position, so it's difficult to cut with left hands. Fiskars makes true lefty scissors. The blades are reversed, so a lefty can actually see what she's doing. (My dd is a lefty. So am I but I learned to cut like a righty.)

That's what my sister and several lefty friends all recommended when I queried them about my ds3 looking like a lefty -- the specific lefty scissors. So I got the Fiskars ones from amazon, Nd they do make a difference for him. Even with his toddlerness, the true lefty ones are much easier for him. (Also, nobody else is tempted to borrow them, so he never wonders where they are.)

It's not actually army-related.  Sorry about the confusion.  That's just what they named the line.  It's got cute ones like a picture of an egg and bacon, and it says "I'm with Awesome!"  Stuff like that.

I see now. They are really cute. I would have looked at them before excitedly posting a thank you....but....it's SCHOOL SUPPLIES!!!!!!!!

Same here.  Kids in the city got out last week of June.  Now school supplies?  What?!  Not all stores have put them out and have gone crazy, but yes I am starting to see them.

I hear ya! It smacks a little like Christmas music in the malls in August.

Actually, that's not true.  Most scissors claim to be for both handedness, but the blades are still in a righty position, so it's difficult to cut with left hands.  Fiskars makes true lefty scissors.  The blades are reversed, so a lefty can actually see what she's doing.  (My dd is a lefty.  So am I but I learned to cut like a righty.)

My husband is a lefty but insisting our left-handed son learns to cut like a righty. His experience is that it is impossible to find GOOD left-handed scissors so he'll be much better off his entire life to be able to cut with any scissors he puts his hand on.

My husband is a lefty but insisting our left-handed son learns to cut like a righty. His experience is that it is impossible to find GOOD left-handed scissors so he'll be much better off his entire life to be able to cut with any scissors he puts his hand on.

I tried that with my lefty, showing her how to use her right hand for righty scissors and left hand for lefty scissors, but she refuses.  She is strictly a left-hand scissor user, no matter what.  

Although it would be better if they'd just lower their prices overall.  They are the most expensive place around here for school supplies.  They always have been.

Yeah, that.  But I really liked their penny deals, especially when the $5 minimum came from a printer paper purchase that also had a rebate.  But still, I'd go in and spend $5-10 total a few times throughout the summer because the penny and quarter deals on paper and 3-prong folders (I love these for corraling specific subjects when I put the portfolios together) drew me in.  This year, I'm not shopping at Staples at all.

Walmart has finally started having their school supply sales.  Am I late to the party?  I must resist the urge to go to Office Depot for cuter supplies.  There is nothing wrong with 50 cent composition notebooks.  I only bought 4 but I'm hoping they'll get more colors in.  

I reallllly wanted to buy three different types of colored pencils.  Did you know they make erasable ones now?  When did that happen?   How good are they?  I put them all back and settled for one pack of Twistables.

And the dividers were soooo tempting.  5 tabs, nice and plastic and write-on-able.  So much better than the ones you stick the little cardboard into the tab which falls out.  ... must resist... already own plenty of dividers... must resist

My children love the Crayola erasable colored pencils!

I LOVE school supplies!  We went shopping yesterday but didn't get a lot.  We have things left over from last year, and the year before . . . 

Awww, my grandma always took us back to school shopping every year!  It was a huge event with all eligible grandchildren going at the same time.  It was ridiculous but made for some wonderful memories, all of us running around the Hills Department Store and then going out to eat afterwards.

Hey, we shopped Hills too! I was probably the kid playing hide and go seek in the Garanimals racks!

Just went OfficeMax today. They take the Office Depot card as well and gave me a 20% off my items which are all sales items; glue, reinforcement rings, sharpeners, erasers.

My kids sharpeners for their pencil boxes end up costing 20 cents instead of 25 cents.

Can anyone recommend the best place to get personalized pencils and pens? I want to have some with ds's name printed on them or maybe some inspirational quote or silly saying. He's redshirted in HWOT  so I need golf pencils, which are about half the length of standard pencils for adults. Erasers would be nice, but not absolutely necessary thanks to the cap erasers thread.

TIA