Menu

Oxford

Laura Corin

Congratulations!! 

Keep updating us on his next four years.  I'd love to see what his Oxford education is like. :)

Lisa

Thanks!  I'm still out of likes...

Just three years at Oxford - it's pretty intensive.  He will graduate at age 20.

L

Oh Laura! Phew phew phew! I suppose eventually the numbness will wear off and you will all feel more than relief. I suspect, though, that the great change the news brings with it might make the numbness persist. Possibly until Christmas. I was eaten up by anxiety over whether mine could manage the academic work load at their college, which didn't exactly help me to feel exultant. So were my sons. At least Calvin is done and his going is for-sure. Here, all acceptances are provisional in that the student still needs to finish the school year and graduate successfully. Well done, both of you! I hope he steps into the Oxford atmousphere with a feeling of homecoming. That doesn't really describe the like-a-duck-to-water feeling I want to convey, but hopefully you understand. Best of luck to him!

Nan

PS - And in case it is any comfort (although you probably have already discovered this, with your boys in school), I don't think the homeschooling never really ends lol. I spent yesterday crawling around on the floor with my 27yo and his college-graduation-present sailmaker's sewingmachine, teaching him how to put a new isenglass window in the dodger of his little fishing boat. I've never used a machine like this and I have done almost NO canvas work (not having a machine heavy enough) and I'm not exactly great at sewing, anyway. And he wanted to do it himself so I could only lend a hand (or two and sometimes both feet to hold things in place) and direct. So - I am still teaching things I don't know how to do, which sometimes seems to me to be the definition of homeschooling lol. It was a lovely day. I hope you have many similar ones. : )

Oh Laura! Phew phew phew! I suppose eventually the numbness will wear off and you will all feel more than relief. I suspect, though, that the great change the news brings with it might make the numbness persist. Possibly until Christmas. I was eaten up by anxiety over whether mine could manage the academic work load at their college, which didn't exactly help me to feel exultant. So were my sons. At least Calvin is done and his going is for-sure. Here, all acceptances are provisional in that the student still needs to finish the school year and graduate successfully. Well done, both of you! I hope he steps into the Oxford atmousphere with a feeling of homecoming. That doesn't really describe the like-a-duck-to-water feeling I want to convey, but hopefully you understand. Best of luck to him!

Thanks, Nan.  Calvin and I are watching a lot of West Wing together at the moment - it's a Mum and Son activity that we can do snuggled up together.

I do think that the college should be a good fit.  And I think he will enjoy the workload, so long as the volume doesn't make him freeze.  I'll post the reading lists, for fun, when they come in.

L

Congratulations! But really, was there any doubt?!  :thumbup:

He's just one of those people with a steel-trap memory who didn't have to work.... until he did.  None of us (C included) had any idea if he had done enough work for the exams to overcome the (sometimes very poor) marks he had received in classroom-based assignments.

L

and now this makes me realize that next summer it's us.  Laura has always been one year ahead of me, and I've followed her since we both started. ARGH! Now it's my turn to go berserk!!!  This year is it!!!!  Laura and Calvin did it, so can we... (ok, we're not even considering Oxford, but it's still nerve racking)

and now this makes me realize that next summer it's us.  Laura has always been one year ahead of me, and I've followed her since we both started. ARGH! Now it's my turn to go berserk!!!  This year is it!!!!  Laura and Calvin did it, so can we... (ok, we're not even considering Oxford, but it's still nerve racking)

I take my hat off to everyone who is teaching all the way through 'high school'.  This was a hard year just as a parent, without the added stress of teaching.

I'm sure it will turn out really well for you both, CQC.

L