Menu

Do You Recognize It?

Impish

What's in a name?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Do you recognize what 'Stepford' refers to?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Keep the name, or change it to something 'Imp'?

• Keep it
    • Get 'Impy' with it

Just needing some feedback on a name.

I'm toying w/renaming my blog. Wolf thinks I should just leave it alone.

But, I wonder, do folks recognize what 'Stepford' refers to? Cause it makes 0 sense to be 'not a Stepford' if folks don't know what it refers to.

I'm considering changing it to something w/'Imp' in the title.

So, what sayeth the Hive? 

Who doesn't know what Stepford refers to? I've never seen either movie or read the book and I know what it means.

I've been asked about it before, so there are folks that don't recognize the reference. I wasn't sure if they were the exception or the rule, lol

Who doesn't know what Stepford refers to? I've never seen either movie or read the book and I know what it means.

What??!! That's what Sundays are for!! Stepford Wives, Bad Seed, What ever Happened to Baby Jane... Close the curtains, make a malt, and cuddle up on the couch with a blanket woman! 

It's a must see! :)

I heard a reference here and there but not sure where it comes from. When it comes down to it im not sure what it means. I'm guessing it's meaning is a woman not going to be under a mans authority or thumb. So to speak. Any way's that's the impression I got when I heard it. I've seen your blog and thought about sending you a message about what it means since really I'm only guessing. Thanks to this thread I finally get to ask!! btw I love your blog. I am plotting on how I can steal that cute curly headed toddler terror:)

I heard a reference here and there but not sure where it comes from. When it comes down to it im not sure what it means. I'm guessing it's meaning is a woman not going to be under a mans authority or thumb. So to speak. Any way's that's the impression I got when I heard it. I've seen your blog and thought about sending you a message about what it means since really I'm only guessing. Thanks to this thread I finally get to ask!! btw I love your blog. I am plotting on how I can steal that cute curly headed toddler terror:)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Stepford+Wife

Go see the movie! I enjoyed the remake:)

Yes, I recognize Stepford, I am surprised others haven't. Never read the book, never saw the movie, it's just a standard cultural reference.  Pod People, Soylent Green, Stelllllllllla, no wire hangers, etc.

When I hear "Imp" I think of Tyrion Lannister.  Sorry.

Thanks! The curly haired kidlet...that isn't the current terror toddler, though. That would've been Tazzie, LOL 

In the movie, Stepford Wives, the women were replaced by 'perfect' versions of themselves. There was a sequel where they replaced the teenagers.

Most people I've run into don't know what is it and it's baffling, how can they not be aware of such a cultural term?  

Exactly why I asked. I've had folks contact me and ask, and I got concerned that it was one of those useless bits of info that I carry around in my brain, but nobody else recognizes, LOL

Thanks everyone! I've decided to keep the name! 

I was just reading internet comments somewhere-I don't think here, out in the big, wide internet-where someone made a Stepford reference and another poster misinterpreted it as a jab against step PARENTS. She was very hurt, and that was clearly not the intention. I was wondering, too if it had become outdated.

I have not seen the movie or read the book.

I was just reading internet comments somewhere-I don't think here, out in the big, wide internet-where someone made a Stepford reference and another poster misinterpreted it as a jab against step PARENTS. She was very hurt, and that was clearly not the intention. I was wondering, too if it had become outdated.

I have not seen the movie or read the book.

Ok, that's just people being stupid. :P Sometimes a spade is just a spade.

Thanks! The curly haired kidlet...that isn't the current terror toddler, though. That would've been Tazzie, LOL 

In the movie, Stepford Wives, the women were replaced by 'perfect' versions of themselves. There was a sequel where they replaced the teenagers.

Exactly why I asked. I've had folks contact me and ask, and I got concerned that it was one of those useless bits of info that I carry around in my brain, but nobody else recognizes, LOL

Thanks everyone! I've decided to keep the name! 

I'm glad...I like it!

This is moot since you decided to keep the name, but I would look at it like a ‘public service’ – people who don’t know what it means have an incentive to broaden their cultural knowledge by looking it up.

there are two theatrical movies, and three made-for-tv adaptations

the one with katharine ross was meant to be scary - and was.

glenn close really turned the last one into a black comedy.

considering it is a colloquialism in larger useage - they have NO excuse.

Eh, my excuse is that I've never actually heard it used in a conversation or anything at all. 

That being said, I wouldn't change a blog title just because some people (like silly me) don't know what it means. I'm kind of amazed that people ask. You can easily look it up, like I did.

I've seen the movie with Nicole Kidman, and possibly at least one of the tv movies.  I do think it's one of those cultural references like Soylent Green, etc. that I would expect people to understand.

Imp - aren't you in Canada?  Is it less popular there, or were all the movies, etc. shown there as well?