Menu

Like/dislike opinions on formatting issues in self-published homeschool curriculum?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the feedback.  (I might regret posting this w/o coffee and proofreading!   My ds, dil, and grandkids are here.   I have to hurry b/c it is Father's Day!  Excuse my rushed post!)

The student pages will be simple, lots of white space, clearly delineated.  (Sorry, loesje22000, it will be black and white.)  

Based on your feedback,though,  I'm wondering about the TM.   The TM has a lot of text.  (Anyone surprised if I say I wrote it such that it definitely requires a teacher?  ;)  LOL!!)   It is not an approach that will appeal to everyone.  (definitely not an objective)  It is written like a conversation with me teaching not only the student, but hopefully the teacher as well, via explicit instructions on how to master specific skills.   As a student progress through the material, the mom should have no questions as to how to evaluate skills that should have been mastered b/c developing those skills has been taught in detail and therefore mom should be able to identify them in the student's work.

With that said, the TM has a lot of text.   Introductory lessons are long.   I tried viewing a long lesson as a single page on my iPad and there is no way.  The text would have to be really small.   Some days have less text b/c the concepts are being developed vs. being introduced.   So I don't think there is anyway to have a complete lesson on a 6 in screen. 

As a matter of fact, some of the days have 4 pages of text.   I have opened them on my laptop in 2 page spreads, but not four.  (of course, I am OLD compared to you all, so maybe your non-40+ eyes can read smaller text!)   

With that being the case, would there be a formatting preference?

Oh, and I will definitely not use Comic Sans. :)   Is there an objection to Times New Roman 12 font?

I think you should assume more people with eyes that cannot read smaller text. There are many older parents teaching, there are grandparents teaching, etc. There are also young people who do better when the text is larger.

I have no objections to Times New Roman, but prefer 14 to 12. Times New Roman tends to run small compared to Palatino, which I also like.

I think you should assume more people with eyes that cannot read smaller text. There are many older parents teaching, there are grandparents teaching, etc. There are also young people who do better when the text is larger.

I have no objections to Times New Roman, but prefer 14 to 12. Times New Roman tends to run small compared to Palatino, which I also like.

FTR, I will be 63 next month, and I have no problems reading "smaller text." :D

So excited about this, I'd purchase it even if it were in Comic Sans. :-)

I want to ditto differentiating "instructions" from "explanations". I like it when a curriculum bolds/underlines the vital instructions and leaves the rest in plain text. That makes it much easier to read through and then subsequently use. I guess I could highlight, but I prefer this way!

Congratulations!  Given your very busy year, I'm super impressed!

It has actually been therapeutic.   Our life has been so stressful, I needed something to focus on that I had actual control over.   :)

So excited about this, I'd purchase it even if it were in Comic Sans. :-)

Thanks, Emily. :)  Making it look professional is going to be the "long" process.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!  (sorry, couldn't resist!!  :laugh: )

I was taught 2 spaces after a full stop or other sentence ender, one after a comma or semi colon etc. I still prefer it that way when I write long documents but I don't care if you do. Any font that is plainish and not too small is fine. If you have a teachers manual and a student book it would be annoying if the only difference was the TM had the answers filled in. CAP W&R looks like that (I assume because it is a book for schools) and it puts me off.

I think a site for info but purchase through Currclick and/or Lulu would be best - like Math Mammoth does.

Do you wish you hadn't asked for advice yet?

Do you wish you hadn't asked for advice yet?

Absolutely!! ( I wish I had stayed oblivious and just let my little, unprofessional looking pdf do its thing.   I haven't decided that isn't what I am going to do, yet, either.   It may come down to simple and available or complicated and stuck on my laptop.   :huh: )

O.k. I still want to borrow your eyeballs, but maybe your eye doctor too.   :lol:

Even with trifocals I can't read small print.  :(

I had lasik about 8 years ago; I use readers, and for mouse print, I still use a magnifying glass. :-) But I've never had problems reading "normal" print. :-)

If you use photos or illustrations, make sure they are ALL of good quality. My girls liked Apologia Science- but the illustrations, esp. in General & Physical, were pretty painful.

If you use clip art, try to get all of the clip art in the same style- not one that is realiztic, another that is stick figures, and another that is giant-head stylized, KWIM?

I vote don't sell it on Currclick.  They take a huge percentage (I think when I looked, it was 40%, which just seemed insane to me).  I think you know you have a good following here.  I think you'll make more off it by providing it somewhere else.  If I were to pay $10 or $20 or whatever you feel like charging, I'd much rather know it was mostly going to you.

I vote don't sell it on Currclick.  They take a huge percentage (I think when I looked, it was 40%, which just seemed insane to me).  I think you know you have a good following here.  I think you'll make more off it by providing it somewhere else.  If I were to pay $10 or $20 or whatever you feel like charging, I'd much rather know it was mostly going to you.

I have been looking at the different sites.  Wowsers.   Currclick is definitely not a way I would go.   

I have been looking at Lulu.   I am beginning to think that making it available in print format from them is the easiest route.  (that only takes low tech skill!!)   I am pondering doing that initially while I figure out how to do everything else (or to see if it is even profitable to figure out how to do downloads). The only regret I have from that perspective is that it makes costs for the buyer almost double between paying for the printing and shipping.

Sigh......I could just invite everyone over for coffee.   :)

Yes, when I saw that, I actually wondered if there was a market for a homeschool website where people submitted their work and sold it as pdf.  Sort of like teacherspayteachers but for homeschoolers.  Though that site also charges a pretty steep percentage.  I wonder if there's no way to run a site while charging something more like 10% for hosting and selling instead of 30 or 40 or even 60%.

What about selling it as a spiral-bound copy?

http://www.fedex.com/us/office/binding-finishing-laminating.html?INTCMP=BAL-1001307-2-2-962-0010000-US-US-EN-BINDING00000000-1-OFHM-EN-14

You could still run a simple website that allows individuals to place orders and shows sample lessons, has an FAQ and whatnot.

I just spent some time messing around with Staples version.   This would actually be pretty cost effective.   I would just need to understand shipping costs, but I think this is pretty doable.

If I buy pdf's I usually print them because I don't like reading on a screen, so I have nothing against you selling printed versions, but for us outside America.....please, can we then at least privately buy a pdf? I don't mind doing some private paypal payment, or sending you Amazon gift cards or something, but if I have to pay shipping to Europe and custom taxes...that could easily triple the price compared to the price for Americans :(

Tress, it looks like Lulu has printing in Europe and Australia (ironically, not in Canada.)   If you purchase books through Lulu, I don't think it would be any more than anywhere else unless I didn't understand all the fine print I have been reading.  ;)  

Still researching.

I was taught 2 spaces after a full stop or other sentence ender, one after a comma or semi colon etc. I still prefer it that way when I write long documents but I don't care if you do. 

Are you telling me they changed this too?  It was bad enough we suddenly had more continents and oceans. :)

Tress, it looks like Lulu has printing in Europe and Australia (ironically, not in Canada.) If you purchase books through Lulu, I don't think it would be any more than anywhere else unless I didn't understand all the fine print I have been reading. ;)

Still researching.

Yes, Lulu would be fine! I got a bit scared when you mentioned Staples, though.

Tress, it looks like Lulu has printing in Europe and Australia (ironically, not in Canada.) If you purchase books through Lulu, I don't think it would be any more than anywhere else unless I didn't understand all the fine print I have been reading. ;)

Still researching.

HOE want $37 to post from Australia to NZ.

Ellen McHenry has started selling hard copies through Book Depository. Maybe they take less of a cut.

PDF even basic would still be better though. Lulu do sell PDFs (ELTL for example).

Good luck.

Well some things I agree with but there are a few that do not meet what I would typically call good layout.  

Too much white space and I feel like I am wasting paper.  

• Use Top and Bottom layouts for clipart only if it is large.  Otherwise, do wrap text but increase the padding around the image. You can bleed the image beyond the margin (but watch trim size)
  • Keep images to RGB and CMYK (When preparing images, open your image software and set the RGB to Adobe RGB.  There is a CMYK value that is preferred too (a concern is sending to the printer).)  This is a peeve of mine.
  • Which image prints better? TIFF / BMP for print 
  • Watch DPI for printed images too - 600 DPI is usually the norm.  I do logos/cards at a higher DPI, but 300 will print great from PDF and 600 if going to publisher.

Allow a method of completion for each lesson/day.  I hate the "2 weeks", and no indicator of what should be adequately accomplished in a day.

Do not start lessons on just any new page.  If we print double sided, that can be an issue when separating lessons.  New lessons (chapters) should be on the right hand page always.  It is OK to leave a blank page on the left hand side.  Insert blanks as you need them. (which reminds me that you should use running headers ... top of the page indicating the lesson/chapter title ... google this)

Use an increased left margin but you may want to use mirrored margins for the purpose of binding.  Check the margin specs for page count, i.e. outside margins are .25 and up to 400 pages the inside margin is .75

You will need to check the trim size of the page, final page size, if you are printing to PDF or sending to the printer.  

• Yes, you need the front matter - e.g. title page - and there are lists of what is appropriate and the order that they should be presented.   professional appearance = professional respect
  • If you use any sources that are not public domain, follow the rules .... many parts of good subject content are often edited out because permission could not be obtained.  Don't forget to document your notes and references appropriately.  (Not MLA style ... don't forget.   :)  )
  • Font should not be smaller than 10 points ever.  
  • Weird things ... one space after periods and colons because of space and printing of the postcript or opentype fonts.
  • Never use more than three heading levels - never ever.  Indicate by size, boldface or italic type.

I have not prepped for print in sometime, but those are the things that I end up fixing.   :)  HTH

Website ... remember that there are federal US regulations when you start dealing with financial information.  You will have to have a an account with a merchant services provider, like Paypal's business.  You will have to pay a fee to the service provider.  Watch the design - a cheesy site will turn me away every time if it looks like "mom" did it.  Again ... professional website = professional appearance  The sites is your skirt, heels, and jacket.  Keep it simple t hough!  Have you seen Oak Meadow lately  uggghhh .... visit donnayoung.org and feel the difference.  Whatever you do ... do not make me click more than three times for something or I and 90 percent of all traffic will leave.  That is a ***rule of web site authoring***.  (I do this on the side and freelance a bit.  I keep to the rules and my sites typically rank well as they meet SEO guidelines and W3C standards.)  Do not use a marketing company that cannot tell you what W3C is.

ETA:  I sent you a pm.

Ok, I am going to crawl back under my rock of naivety. The whole business/ publication process is something I need to digest for a while. I am not the sure what I am going to do. I am very aware now that this is probably going to be a slow process.

Thanks for the encouragement (otherwise staying on my laptop would have been the most likely outcome!) But for sure, polished and professional = soon is not realistic.

Ok, I am going to crawl back under my rock of naivety. The whole business/ publication process is something I need to digest for a while. I am not the sure what I am going to do. I am very aware now that this is probably going to be a slow process.

Thanks for the encouragement (otherwise staying on my laptop would have been the most likely outcome!) But for sure, polished and professional = soon is not realistic.

I'm sure the content is excellent, so keep plugging along.

Perhaps one of your children needs an elective credit this year....say, in, ....self-publishing and technology.  It's an internship...yep, that's it!  Internship! :thumbup: 

I agree wholeheartedly with everything Chrissy wrote.

:thumbup1:

The best way to approach your project is to keep it simple and learn some of the basics of book design as you go along. It just seems overwhelming at this point but you'll realize it's not too bad once you start to put the little pieces together to make the bigger picture. Take your time and read through a good how-to website methodically.

If you have a child who is even remotely interested in this area, this would definitely be a good elective!

ETA: You could just offer a printed version at this point and maybe for oversees people, a PDF or some other file (don't know how that would work). Stay away from illustrations if they don't explain something. A simple flourish or wingding here and there is enough. Later on, you can get more sophisticated.

I am sure many of us would happily use a print edition while you took it more slowly on the pdf!

I agree!  You will not please everyone with the first release, and you shouldn't try.  Get SOMETHING out there- choose either pdf or print and just do that.  Choose a website that makes sense to you for your storefront, and just do that.  As you make a few bucks from the first release, consider investing it in hiring a graphic designer or website designer who can help you with a second release that can appeal to a greater audience. 

This will also give you the chance to have feedback on the product itself and update if necessary before the second release is ready.  Many here will go through with a fine toothed comb and even help you find small typo type details that need a quick fix- there are always a few that slip through!  

The whole business/ publication process is something I need to digest for a while. I am not the sure what I am going to do.

Don't know if these would be possibilities:

- a trade or a profit-sharing agreement with a graphic designer who is a homeschooler

- hire cheap, or free for a class project, a student who is working on a graphic design degree

That might help speed get your product out there, and give you a first product that you could then use as your template for DIY future levels...

Totally understand, 8! I was in the desktop publishing/graphic design business 20 years ago, before having children and when they were very young, but stopped to raise them. So the concepts of good design are still there for me, BUT... the tech has so completely changed, and now with the addition of the e-book/tablet requirements and self-publishing aspects -- everything is all so very different, it would take me a year of learning and working practice to get back up to speed, in order to publish the curriculum I've written or have in mind that it would be great to write and get out thereĂ¢â‚¬Â¦

And I just don't know as though that's where my heart's desire isĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ I just want to be homeschooling.  :(

The whole business/ publication process is something I need to digest for a while. I am not the sure what I am going to do.

Some ideas to help your digestion ...

No matter what format you sell (print, pdf, or both), you will need

to create a .pdf file.

Is your *primary* purpose to make money or to share your book

with the world? If it is the later, it makes sense to outsource

any parts of the publication and sales process you don't feel

comfortable doing yourself. Turnkey operations like CurrClick

and Lulu take a large cut, but the convenience might be worth it.

You won't be able to please everyone, so at least please yourself.

If that means taking time to get the product you want, take the time.

On the other hand, please don't expect us to be patient.

Several of us on the boards have been waiting *years* for your book,

even before you announced that you were working on it.

If you are willing to share or sell beta (or alpha) copies, I can

help you put a "beta" or "draft" watermark on them so that they can't be

mistaken for finished versions.

HTH

Sigh......I could just invite everyone over for coffee.   :)

I'll bring cookies.  :)

:iagree:  and  :iagree:

I review your posts on writing before I plan for my dc, along with CM an TWTM.  I am  :drool:   to see this book.  No pressure.  :lol:

This is your work, and you deserve to have it done right.  The design should rightly be as amazing as the content.  That said, I'd be happy to purchase a "less-than" copy if that meant I could #1 have it before fall and #2 help fund the project of getting the design perfect.

Some ideas to help your digestion ...

No matter what format you sell (print, pdf, or both), you will need

to create a .pdf file.

Is your *primary* purpose to make money or to share your book

with the world? If it is the later, it makes sense to outsource

any parts of the publication and sales process you don't feel

comfortable doing yourself. Turnkey operations like CurrClick

and Lulu take a large cut, but the convenience might be worth it.

If you are willing to share or sell beta (or alpha) copies, I can

help you put a "beta" or "draft" watermark on them so that they can't be

mistaken for finished versions.

HTH

This is a great idea!  

I used CLE Kindergarten II with my DS, and it was a Preliminary Edition.  They won't finalize it until it's been on the market for a year or two.

Personally, I like a paper, spiral bond copy of both the Teacher's Manual and the Student book.  If I download/purchase a .pdf, I always have it spiral bond.  If I purchase a school book that isn't hardcover, I'll cut the binding and have it spiral bond.  Notice a trend... :thumbup1:  

I'm perfectly fine with little to no art.  I also like a clean and simple layout, no side bubbles or the like, with small, digestible sections.

+1 for simple and available 

• 1 month later...

Personally, I like a paper, spiral bond copy of both the Teacher's Manual and the Student book.  If I download/purchase a .pdf, I always have it spiral bond.  If I purchase a school book that isn't hardcover, I'll cut the binding and have it spiral bond.  Notice a trend... :thumbup1:  

I'm perfectly fine with little to no art.  I also like a clean and simple layout, no side bubbles or the like, with small, digestible sections.

+1 for simple and available 

Yes, this is an old thread. I just saw that 8 is going to publish her writing curriculum. I'm so excited for her! YAY!

Posting now, again, very late, b/c  :iagree:  with all comments about spiral bound. Comb-bound books are evil. Spiral-bound books are my friends. :)

Can't wait till Friday, 8!