Menu

Would you sign this?

Dd13 started 8th grade at ps this year. Her Spanish teacher sent home the following permission slip to be signed. I've already decided not to sign it, but want to see if I'm really the big stick-in-the-mud that dd thinks!;)

(Spelling and grammar have been left intact.)

My child ____________ has permission to watch any videos or to participate in any food days in Spanish class. This permission slip is in affect for the entire 2008-2009 school year. If at anytime my child feels offended of uncomfortable with the information or content, they are required to inform the teacher and alternative assignments will be made. I also understand that if we are doing a project, my child may be asked to bring a small monetary fee in order to pay for the materials. For example, if we have a pinata he/she may be asked to bring a dollar, in order to pay for the fillings and the pinata.

Parent signature and date: __________________________

Nope. DD/18 in her senior year of high school last year was supposed to watch "Pan's Labyrinth" in one of her classes. I wrote on the permission slip, "Are YOU Crazy?" literally and said she could not watch it. There is no way I would sign this slip in a million years.

that I object to consenting to unnamed movies, not to the snacks or occasional small fees.

Then I would be annoyed about valuable class time being devoted to building a pinata.

I would resist the urge to correct the grammar in red pen on my response. Probably.

Terri

Well, let's see...my oldest ds was shown Monty Python's Holy Grail movie when he was in a World History class (9th grade). This was somehow supposed to correlate with the Middle Ages :glare:. I was at the principal's door the next morning.

I would absolutely not sign that piece of paper!

that I object to consenting to unnamed movies, not to the snacks or occasional small fees.

Then I would be annoyed about valuable class time being devoted to building a pinata.

I would resist the urge to correct the grammar in red pen on my response. Probably.

Terri

Great minds think alike! Here's my response - maybe a little too light, but oh well.

"Dear Ms. (Spanish teacher),

Perry has my permission to participate in any food days, and I do acknowledge that some projects may require a small fee.

However, I prefer to approve the movies on a case-by-base basis. I'm sure when you're my age you will understand. :001_smile:

Perry is enjoying your class so far!

Thanks,

Michelle XXXXXX"

And I really wanted to use that red pen, but dd absolutely forbade it. (And I think she's secretly pleased to get to make a fuss in class.)

Dd13 started 8th grade at ps this year. Her Spanish teacher sent home the following permission slip to be signed. I've already decided not to sign it, but want to see if I'm really the big stick-in-the-mud that dd thinks!;)

My child ____________ has permission to watch any videos or to participate in any food days in Spanish class. This permission slip is in affect for the entire 2008-2009 school year. If at anytime my child feels offended of uncomfortable with the information or content, they are required to inform the teacher and alternative assignments will be made. I also understand that if we are doing a project, my child may be asked to bring a small monetary fee in order to pay for the materials. For example, if we have a pinata he/she may be asked to bring a dollar, in order to pay for the fillings and the pinata.

I think I would ask the teacher to provide me with a list of videos she intended to play so that I could THEN determine whether or not my child had permission. Honestly, my oldest was in school all the way through. I was never even asked permission about anything pertaining to what they could watch in class. I honestly think they felt that it was up to them, not me.:001_huh:

Anita

I think I would ask the teacher to provide me with a list of videos she intended to play so that I could THEN determine whether or not my child had permission.

Anita

I agree and if she couldn't then I wouldn't. We have food allergies here so the food thing is a little concerning, but my children question everything they are given to eat from the time they are toddlers and I think they could handle it.

I wouldn't sign it either.

If I'm remembering this correctly, they only need permission slips for PG-13 and up. And since most DVDs can switch between Spanish and English, it would be very easy for her to produce movies in Spanish that are not OK. Movies are a waste of class time anyway. Kids just sleep and /or play something else during movies (and this was before they had all the toys to make it, like the iPhone). If I wanted her to learn Spanish from movies, I would have done it at home.

The money thing is a whole 'nother issue. It basically asking you to promise to pay whatever unspecified amount she wants to charge. Clearly this teacher has never signed a contract and had the fine print come back to haunt her! So she has a project and has each kids bring in $2. No big deal, right. Then she decides tohave one every other class. Now, it's up to $180! And the parents promised to pay it!

My other problem with it is that neither movies nor pinatas actually teach them Spanish. Those are extracurricular activities for the Spanish club, not for during class time.

I guess that's why we homeschool.

Well, let's see...my oldest ds was shown Monty Python's Holy Grail movie when he was in a World History class (9th grade). This was somehow supposed to correlate with the Middle Ages :glare:. I was at the principal's door the next morning.

Wait... you mean that's not historical fiction? ;)

Great minds think alike! Here's my response - maybe a little too light, but oh well.

"Dear Ms. (Spanish teacher),

Perry has my permission to participate in any food days, and I do acknowledge that some projects may require a small fee.

However, I prefer to approve the movies on a case-by-base basis. I'm sure when you're my age you will understand. :001_smile:

Perry is enjoying your class so far!

Thanks,

Michelle XXXXXX"

And I really wanted to use that red pen, but dd absolutely forbid it. (And I think she's secretly pleased to get to make a fuss in class.)

I think that your response was very reasonable.

I think the post who said it's difficult to get permission slips back is right. The teacher is just trying to cover her bases for the year.

She should have a list of movies she might use. She will have to send an extra permission slip if she decides on somethingelse later. But the list of movies she might use is a start.

Keep in mind some videos will likely be part of the curriculum and not need permission. I image those demonstration of dialogue videos are still shown--"Maria and Juan at the Cafe"--stuff like that. So my assumption would be that the teacher is asking permission for visual media beyond the published curriculum the school uses. She should make that clear as well.

For food events, I would have to insist that a list of ingredients be available to review. My kids have allergies and when they are in doubt they don't eat. I would say no to homemade/potluck treats unless I could question the person who prepared the food in detail. My kids are used to missing food events. However, while I understand the occassional food event, a lot is unacceptable.

The teachers at my local school would not be allowed to ask for money for candy or toy fillings for a pinata. If the teacher sends home a regular letter about the class (our local high school has an electronic system with teaches posting general notices as well as homework assignments). She could note in a future letter that the class plans a project and any family who wishes to donate supplies (list) is appreciated.

The only thing I've heard of teachers being allowed to directly ask for is money for a field trip. Even then kids who qualify for reduced price lunch do not have to pay and that is noted on the permission form (not naming students of course).

I used to teach public school in my district.

I would write back to the teacher and ask for names of possible movies and other details you want. If she doesn't respond, I would find out who evaluates her at the school. Usually one of the assistant principals is in charge of the foreign language department. I would send a letter to the teacher and the assistant principal, explaining that this permission slip is a blank check and you need more specific details.

Keep in mind some videos will likely be part of the curriculum and not need permission. I image those demonstration of dialogue videos are still shown--"Maria and Juan at the Cafe"--stuff like that. So my assumption would be that the teacher is asking permission for visual media beyond the published curriculum the school uses. She should make that clear as well.

The part of this that I didn't share was the introductory statement, in which she explained that some films will have "fowl" (yes) language and brief nudity.

I guess as long as it's Chicken Run in Spanish, I'm okay with it.:D

Otherwise, I wish I had read some of these responses before sending my note - I would have asked for a list of planned or possible film choices. I'm okay with some more mature themes for my 13yo, but *I* want to have a say in "reasonable" for my dd!

Nope. DD/18 in her senior year of high school last year was supposed to watch "Pan's Labyrinth" in one of her classes. I wrote on the permission slip, "Are YOU Crazy?" literally and said she could not watch it. There is no way I would sign this slip in a million years.

May I ask why? I'm not familiar with Pan's Labyrinth, but I'm surprised at the idea of censoring what my 18 year old could watch.

May I ask why? I'm not familiar with Pan's Labyrinth, but I'm surprised at the idea of censoring what my 18 year old could watch.

We saw this movie, and I have to admit were so unimpressed that I really don't even remember the ending. I think the little girl was shot by her step dad? My youngest were about 12 at the time.

There was a lot of hoo-haw about it at the time of release, I didn't get it. But I have all the sensitivity of a rock wall, so maybe I'm missing something.

I remember watching La Bamba in HS Spanish class. The point of that was...was...was...oh...the main character didn't know Spanish. Study your Spanish, kids!

:lol:

No!

I have a feeling from the above permission slip that I as my child's parent would be offended or uncomfortable with the information or content of the movies. This sends up red flags for me. There most likely have been complaints in the past and the teach is trying to CYA.

I feel that the titles and a short description of each movie should be listed here. Just my 2 cents.;)

If the project is educational then the school should be paying for it. If the teacher needs a bag or two of candy, why are they not asking for that and not money?

Now, you all can tell why my girls are homeschooled.;)

some films will have "fowl" (yes) language and brief nudity.

I would send a note asking if they're planning to study plucking chickens this year???

Geez. What a typo (or blatant mistake).

I'd probably sign the permission slip, but only because I figure they're not going to be going too crazy as far as movie choices in a school. But, I really can't imagine that young teens would want to see any nudity in a film when they're in a class w/ their peers, kwim?

But, I might boycott the permission slip based on poor grammar & spelling errors. :D

And, I agree that movies & pinatas are better suited to Spanish Club than class time. We never did stuff like that in our Spanish classes (thankfully).

"Maria and Juan at the Cafe?" Wow! I missed out. I only remember them being at the biblioteca.

Maria va a la biblioteca.

Juan va a la biblioteca.

Maria y Juan van a la biblioteca...

:tongue_smilie:

I'd be fine with the food and monetary demands, but I'd need a list of the movies before signing. That is way to vague and open to any interpretation of what is worth/okay to view. I think Gretchen is right in her thinking this is a cover-your-donkey-butt permission slip.

R...I'm embarrassed to say, I just love that saying now:glare:.

I'd be fine with the food and monetary demands, but I'd need a list of the movies before signing. That is way to vague and open to any interpretation of what is worth/okay to view. I think Gretchen is right in her thinking this is a cover-your-donkey-butt permission slip.

R...I'm embarrassed to say, I just love that saying now:glare:.

:lol::lol:But, I like how you said, "cover-your-donkey-butt." :lol: It is a lot more fun than CYA.:lol::lol:

At first I would have signed it along with a note requesting the names of possible films. Then I read the nest post about "fowl language and brief nudity". Now I might retract my signature. I don't do a lot of censoring in my own household where my child (older) would be sitting next to me and we can pause the film and discuss. However, in a classroom I would feel quite different.

I think I would be making a phone call or writing a letter to get more details.

And I certainly hope her Spanish grammar and spelling are better than her English.

Janet

Yes, I would sign it. Sounds like a run of the mill permission slip. My mature teens do not have video viewing restrictions. They report that they enjoy the videos used in their public school classes. I have a daughter in Spanish III in public high school. She enjoys the Spanish language videos, cooking, and crafts projects.

I'm curious. What was your objection to "Pan's Labryinth?" My older teen fell in love with the film enough to purchase her own copy. While I found the story well-written, the violence was just too intense for me.

"Monty Python's Holy Grail" has been recommended to me by people whose opinion I respect. I have tried to watch it twice, but it just did not tickle my funnybone. Typically, I relish British humor.

First of all it is rated "R" and dd still under our roof respected what we thought about things so she asked what we thought. She didn't want to see it either, but couldn't get out of it unless we signed the note saying she couldn't see it. Even though she was 18 she was still under our guardianship according to the school. I don't call it censoring, I call it protecting her mind from things that shouldn't be put in there.

I'm curious. What was your objection to "Pan's Labryinth?" My older teen fell in love with the film enough to purchase her own copy. While I found the story well-written, the violence was just too intense for me.

You said it, "The violence...." Why would she or I want to expose her to something so needless than that? This is one of the reasons for it's rating of "R" Here is what plugged in online had to say that cinched it for us:

conclusion-Title.gifspacer.gif Dreamlike with its dark creativity and littered with subtext, Pan's Labyrinth is a Spanish-language nightmarish fairy tale that's decidedly not for children. Even most adults won't want to (and shouldn't) indulge its grim excesses. Just as the fairy tale medium began many centuries ago, there are no singing, dancing dwarves or candy-covered gingerbread houses to be found here. Those age-old fables were originally intended to keep both children and grown-ups in check using fear. This story seeks the same result—in reverse. By that I mean that it seeks to keep people from submitting to what can sometimes be mindless checks by filling them with the fear of what happens when you don't think for yourself. (Fascist ideals carry the day, for instance.)

Instead of juxtaposing a beautiful imaginary world with a horrific real one to illustrate how bad things have gotten for Ofelia, writer/director Guillermo del Toro (who helmed Hellboy and Blade II) masterfully parallels Ofelia's ghastly reality with an equally terrifying and ghostly fantasy. The monsters she faces in the ripped-apart wonderland she enters serve as reflections of the ones she interacts with above ground—most prominently, her callous and cruel stepfather.

"I have been fascinated by fairy tales and the mechanics at work in them since my early childhood," del Toro explains. "I have enjoyed reading the original versions of Grimm's Fairy Tales and have always found that the form itself lends easily to deeply disturbing images. Hans Christian Andersen and Oscar Wilde, in fact, have some tales of thinly veiled S&M, full of horrific and brutal moments."

With that in mind, the Mexican filmmaker set out to disturb audiences with horrific and brutal moments. The result is a Saw-meets-Narnia-like film that includes intensely graphic and nauseating violence. Del Toro's unspoken argument is that, to create the effect of humans as monstrous and unfeeling as the beasts that reside in the labyrinth, such atrocities must be shown rather than just hinted at.

That endure-for-the-message approach is somewhat plausible in theory. But when moviegoers begin to notice how much the camera seems to enjoy every gaping gunshot wound and flesh-ripping knifing, it gradually becomes less convincing. And by the time the lens zooms in—and camps out—as the captain takes a needle and thread to his own decimated face, it seems the method has lost all reason.

There's a not-so-fine line between scorning the darkness of humanity and reveling in it. For all the film's well-deserved accolades—and indeed, it is as well-made, thought-provoking and creative a fantasy/war/horror film as you'll find—Pan's Labyrinth smears that boundary just about as frequently as Ofelia crosses back and forth between fact and fiction

That about sums it up for me.

but I'm surprised at the idea of censoring what my 18 year old could watch.

Well, because some of us actually have 18 year olds who still seek our opinions on movies. My 18 year old knows I've watched many more movies than he has (many watched during years I didn't censor my viewing at all) and he also knows I have access to www.screenit.com. He will very often ask, "Mom, is _______ fit to see?"

Believe it or not, some of us (like me) still "censor" or choose carefully what we put before our eyes, and my 18 year old son is following in those footsteps. We happen to feel that nudity, for example, is something that should be reserved for married couples.

We've never rely on the MPAA (or whatever that organization is called) to determine if we will watch a movie, we just let our own conscience decide. We don't call it censoring either, we call it choosing what's best for us. I don't see an age limit where certain things all of the sudden become acceptable. Regardless of how old I get, there are just some things I refuse to watch others act out. It also has nothing to do with what Jedi Arts refers to as a grasp on entertainment vs reality. It has to do with actually believing that the things we watch do indeed impact us regardless of whether they are true or not.

Well, I was definitely not the only parent with "concerns", but I may have had the mildest response! By the time dd got to 3rd period Spanish, the teacher already had a printed note copied with a response to the uproar. It says that she made a mistake and gave the Spanish I and Spanish IV kids the same form - but Spanish I kids wouldn't be watching anything w/nudity, and everything would be rated no worse than PG-13.

But...she does not retract the wording of the slip at all.

And BTW, :iagree: with what Dawn said - well put!

I did find parts of the Holy Grail humorous (it's just a flesh wound! the horse/coconuts thing), but unfortunately, I also found it to be blasphemous, so my kids won't be seeing it without me by their side critiquing it, with the FF button handy.

"Monty Python's Holy Grail" has been recommended to me by people whose opinion I respect. I have tried to watch it twice, but it just did not tickle my funnybone. Typically, I relish British humor.

Potential spoiler alert.

You said it, "The violence...." Why would she or I want to expose her to something so needless than that? This is one of the reasons for it's rating of "R" Here is what plugged in online had to say that cinched it for us:
It was, without question, an intense movie. However, I didn't find the violence to be gratuitous. I saw (and I know there are other interpretations) a fantasy world constructed in the mind of a dying girl to help her make sense of a brutal narrative (i.e. her last days) she could not accept at face value as reality. It was like a dying dream instead of a sleeping one.

Umm, okay, I guess we can add that that to our "thank goodness I never rented that movie" list. Ick.

conclusion-Title.gifspacer.gif Dreamlike with its dark creativity and littered with subtext, Pan's Labyrinth is a Spanish-language nightmarish fairy tale that's decidedly not for children. Even most adults won't want to (and shouldn't) indulge its grim excesses. Just as the fairy tale medium began many centuries ago, there are no singing, dancing dwarves or candy-covered gingerbread houses to be found here. Those age-old fables were originally intended to keep both children and grown-ups in check using fear. This story seeks the same result—in reverse. By that I mean that it seeks to keep people from submitting to what can sometimes be mindless checks by filling them with the fear of what happens when you don't think for yourself. (Fascist ideals carry the day, for instance.)

Instead of juxtaposing a beautiful imaginary world with a horrific real one to illustrate how bad things have gotten for Ofelia, writer/director Guillermo del Toro (who helmed Hellboy and Blade II) masterfully parallels Ofelia's ghastly reality with an equally terrifying and ghostly fantasy. The monsters she faces in the ripped-apart wonderland she enters serve as reflections of the ones she interacts with above ground—most prominently, her callous and cruel stepfather.

"I have been fascinated by fairy tales and the mechanics at work in them since my early childhood," del Toro explains. "I have enjoyed reading the original versions of Grimm's Fairy Tales and have always found that the form itself lends easily to deeply disturbing images. Hans Christian Andersen and Oscar Wilde, in fact, have some tales of thinly veiled S&M, full of horrific and brutal moments."

With that in mind, the Mexican filmmaker set out to disturb audiences with horrific and brutal moments. The result is a Saw-meets-Narnia-like film that includes intensely graphic and nauseating violence. Del Toro's unspoken argument is that, to create the effect of humans as monstrous and unfeeling as the beasts that reside in the labyrinth, such atrocities must be shown rather than just hinted at.

That endure-for-the-message approach is somewhat plausible in theory. But when moviegoers begin to notice how much the camera seems to enjoy every gaping gunshot wound and flesh-ripping knifing, it gradually becomes less convincing. And by the time the lens zooms in—and camps out—as the captain takes a needle and thread to his own decimated face, it seems the method has lost all reason.

There's a not-so-fine line between scorning the darkness of humanity and reveling in it. For all the film's well-deserved accolades—and indeed, it is as well-made, thought-provoking and creative a fantasy/war/horror film as you'll find—Pan's Labyrinth smears that boundary just about as frequently as Ofelia crosses back and forth between fact and fiction

That about sums it up for me.

everything would be rated no worse than PG-13.

This reminds me. I just finished watching a movie (no -- I'm not recommending it) titled My Mom's New Boyfriend. I rented it because I like Meg Ryan. Though I liked the story line, I actually fast forwarded parts of it because frankly, I don't want to watch some couple simulate s_x. And, for what it's worth -- the movie totally ruined the song The Itsy Bitsy Spider. Now, whenever I'll start to sing it (yes, my 7 year old still likes to be sung to), I'll think of that dumb scene.

But, to my point. I could not believe this only got a PG-13 rating. Good grief is all I have to say.

Pan's Labyrinth gave me nightmares. I will admit that I'm sensitive to movies. I hid behind my couch pillow for some of the scenes. I can't take it. I *hate* gore. This is why I stopped watching Mel Gibson movies a long time ago.

I'm also surprised at times with movies that have a PG-13 rating. It seems to me that the sensitivity level for movies is going down. There are many movies/shows that I do not allow my kids to watch and other parents look at me like I have two heads. For example, my 7 yr old has not seen any of the Spider Man movies thank-you-very-much. Oh well. I guess it's the one area that I'm conservative in.

For a thirteen year old, yeah, I think I would sign that. A kid that age can pipe up and/or leave when s/he feels uncomfortable.

I think I would have to disagree with that. I can tell my 13 yr old they can say something or leave, but I think peer pressure would be too much for many. Maybe not all but many.