Menu

Well, we did it. We put our daughter on the plane.

Jenny in Florida

Wow!  Congrats to her, and hugs to you.

If you're up to it, please share what she'll be doing?  Our eldest just graduated with his theater degree, and we have another one gearing up for the same path, if all signs are right... 

Wow!  Congrats to her, and hugs to you.

If you're up to it, please share what she'll be doing?  Our eldest just graduated with his theater degree, and we have another one gearing up for the same path, if all signs are right... 

Thanks.

She is heading up there with a lot of contacts and leads, but no job yet. She's been working pretty much full time and living at home to save money for the last 18 months and has accumulated enough money to tide herself over for at least six months without earning anything at all. 

As of this past weekend,she had a few auditions scheduled and was in the process of arranging interviews for a couple of part-time jobs. So, she hopes that she will have at least some money flowing in soon.

She booked a place to stay for the first month through AirBnB and is going on Tuesday to meet with potential roommates for a more permanent apartment. (They have mutual friends.) 

Her long-term plan is to spend the first year or so just getting on her feet, making sure she adjusts to living on her own. Once she feels secure about that, she plans to get back into acting class and regular voice lessons (things she likely won't be able to afford until she's established) and start really focusing on getting to auditions. In her third year, she hopes to develop an idea she has for a small ensemble show and take it on the fringe festival circuit. 

Thanks.

She is heading up there with a lot of contacts and leads, but no job yet. She's been working pretty much full time and living at home to save money for the last 18 months and has accumulated enough money to tide herself over for at least six months without earning anything at all. 

As of this past weekend,she had a few auditions scheduled and was in the process of arranging interviews for a couple of part-time jobs. So, she hopes that she will have at least some money flowing in soon.

She booked a place to stay for the first month through AirBnB and is going on Tuesday to meet with potential roommates for a more permanent apartment. (They have mutual friends.) 

Her long-term plan is to spend the first year or so just getting on her feet, making sure she adjusts to living on her own. Once she feels secure about that, she plans to get back into acting class and regular voice lessons (things she likely won't be able to afford until she's established) and start really focusing on getting to auditions. In her third year, she hopes to develop an idea she has for a small ensemble show and take it on the fringe festival circuit. 

Oooooh, how exciting!  I am going to share this with our kiddos, and she will have a small fan club in VA.  Keep us posted!!

Now, go eat cupcakes!  

Thank you all so much for the reassurance and commiseration.

I did okay for most of the day. I had a little rough spot a little while ago when I was considering going to bed and realized that she isn't here to hug the dog and me good night. I mean, there have been nights when she hasn't been home -- including all the time she was away at school -- but it's different knowing that she really doesn't live here anymore. 

So, I'm sitting here watching 30 Rock on Netflix again until I'm too sleepy to do anything other than conk out. And tomorrow will probably be better.

Thank you all so much for the reassurance and commiseration.

I did okay for most of the day. I had a little rough spot a little while ago when I was considering going to bed and realized that she isn't here to hug the dog and me good night. I mean, there have been nights when she hasn't been home -- including all the time she was away at school -- but it's different knowing that she really doesn't live here anymore. 

So, I'm sitting here watching 30 Rock on Netflix again until I'm too sleepy to do anything other than conk out. And tomorrow will probably be better.

As you probably well know, each tomorrow does get better as your brain/body adjusts.  Meanwhile, :grouphug: .

She has a great plan! Good for her! 

Do you think it's better that both of yours are leaving the nest at the same time, or would it be better if they staggered it?  For me, I think I'd rather be in misery from both of my 'still at home' children leaving at once- like ripping off a band-aid.  

I'm sitting here watching 30 Rock on Netflix again until I'm too sleepy to do anything other than conk out. And tomorrow will probably be better.

Story of my life. ;-)

Thanks for the PM, btw ~ hoping to shoot you a reply later today.