Menu

Anyone have white dishes that they could recommend?

lamolina

We just moved back from overseas and have to basically start over in the kitchen (and mostly the rest of the house). I just want solid white, round dishes. I would need plates and bowls mostly, and don't care so much about matching mugs.

I originally thought I would get Corelle because it seems to last forever, but wondered if there is anything that is maybe a step up from that but that is still very durable?

I don't really want very heavy stoneware or anything that chips easily. My kids will be loading and unloading the dishwasher so it needs to be durable!

Thanks for any recommendations!!

We have white dishes from Ikea. We haven't had them long, but I like them so far. I did drop one and it broke (as I would expect from ceramic). They were inexpensive and we bought extra beyond what we thought we would need just in case. So far, so good!

We have white dishes from Ikea. We haven't had them long, but I like them so far. I did drop one and it broke (as I would expect from ceramic). They were inexpensive and we bought extra beyond what we thought we would need just in case. So far, so good!

We have these too and have found them durable enough for our little kids.

Does the Fiesta chip? Does it seem heavy to lift more than one or two?

It's warrantied against chipping. I've had most of mine since August and so far, so good even though my kids load and unload the dishwasher, etc. I did have one bowl chip just a short time after I got it. I called the company and they sent me a replacement with no hassle. They just wanted a picture emailed.

But yeah, it is heavy.

Another fan of Ikea dishes!  We have the middle-of-the-line ones and I bought extra with the thought that if a few break, I won't mind because, hey, they are from Ikea and easily replaceable.  I think they are AT LEAST as attractive as my former William-Sonoma white dishes, and I don't cringe every time one of my children touches them.  :-)  I also like they they are just slightly smaller than typical US dinner plates.

I have these from Pier One: http://www.pier1.com/Luminous-Coupe-Dinnerware/PS1592,default,pd.html?cgid=white-dinnerware#start=1

They are durable, heavier than Corelle but lighter than stoneware, simple and clean design, and an efficient use of space-they don't have distinct raised edges that don't hold food which, to me, is just a waste of space and resources.   

We have white dishes from Williams-Sonoma. Three years so far w/only one break (a bowl was dropped from "Great height"). He have the hemstitch pattern, but they have plain ones. Sur la Table also has plain white dishes. They are much less expensive than Williams Sonoma but I don't know how durable they are. 

I adore my dishes! Been married 9 years, and I'm still so glad I chose them. http://www.crateandbarrel.com/staccato-dinnerware/f11019

I personally have Fiestaware in a variety of colors.  However, if I was to go all white, the dishes would have to have some uniqueness about them.  I really like this option you gave from Crate and Barrel. 

I recently bought the Fargrik ones.  I am very happy with them. 

I have these from Pier One: http://www.pier1.com/Luminous-Coupe-Dinnerware/PS1592,default,pd.html?cgid=white-dinnerware#start=1

They are durable, heavier than Corelle but lighter than stoneware, simple and clean design, and an efficient use of space-they don't have distinct raised edges that don't hold food which, to me, is just a waste of space and resources.   

I'm glad you mentioned these, I always forget about Pier One, but these are really nice!!

I have the IKEA 365 series and it is also open stock. Had them for over 2 years and no chips yet. They are very inexpensive - even if you break some, they are easily replaced.

I have white dishes that came from Pottery Barn, but PB is owned by Williams-Sonoma. Soon after I purchased the dishes PB stopped selling them, but they showed up at W-S.  They are the 'Open Kitchenware' dishes at W-S. Mine look a little different because they are 20 years old and designs change, but they have held up beautifully. No chips, no problems. I bought three boxes with the idea that I would have service for 8 in the cabinet with service for 4 to replace any breakage. That box is unopened somewhere in the basement, lol.

I got a set of Arabia 24 hour white dishes about 16 years ago.  We got them for everyday AND nice use; we didn't want china, but we also wanted to have nice dinnerware.  I just googled it, however, and I can guarantee you I didn't pay $28 for a PLATE.  We got a set of 12 plates, salad plates, mugs and 16 bowls, and 12 green salad plates for variety and paid under $600.  I can't see spending $28 for a PLATE, though.  :0/  

That said, this stuff looks great, is simple/elegant, and has worn like iron.  I just tossed my first cup and first bowl this year, after dropping them on the concrete floor while we were moving.  :::scowl:::  But no way am I replacing them at $28 a PLATE.  

If I had to replace my whole set now, I'd go to IKEA and get the shapes I like for bowls and cups, AND I would test them with my silverware.  We did not do this, and our silverware is a bad match for the dinnerware and the silverware always slides into the (NOT $28) plates.  We have learned to lay them upside down!  

I'm glad I have this stuff, and would buy used replacements if I found them at thrift stores...but not at...  Oh you probably get the idea.  :0)

I got a set of Arabia 24 hour white dishes about 16 years ago. We got them for everyday AND nice use; we didn't want china, but we also wanted to have nice dinnerware. I just googled it, however, and I can guarantee you I didn't pay $28 for a PLATE. We got a set of 12 plates, salad plates, mugs and 16 bowls, and 12 green salad plates for variety and paid under $600. I can't see spending $28 for a PLATE, though. :0/

That said, this stuff looks great, is simple/elegant, and has worn like iron. I just tossed my first cup and first bowl this year, after dropping them on the concrete floor while we were moving. :::scowl::: But no way am I replacing them at $28 a PLATE.

If I had to replace my whole set now, I'd go to IKEA and get the shapes I like for bowls and cups, AND I would test them with my silverware. We did not do this, and our silverware is a bad match for the dinnerware and the silverware always slides into the (NOT $28) plates. We have learned to lay them upside down!

I'm glad I have this stuff, and would buy used replacements if I found them at thrift stores...but not at... Oh you probably get the idea. :0)

Wait, if I wanted to get that, how much would it be for just a plate?

I'll second the Crate and Barrel staccato - love mine.

My mother has the Williams-Sonoma plates, and they have also held up well.

Mine have been tested by DH/children, and hers have survived extensive entertaining, so either would pass your benchmark, I think :-)

Wedgwood China - I have the Strawberry and Vine pattern which may be discontinued, but there are other patterns available. We've been using for 21 years with 3 kids. We wash in the dishwasher and have only broken two pieces by dropping them - no chips. It still looks new.