Menu

Sort of s/o from healthy eating threads: Vegetables: How do you get lots more of them into your diet on a budget?

VaKim

I see all this advice about eating more vegetables. Any examples of daily meal plans high in veggies that don't call for buying everything in the produce section? At least, not at once? We are very much a meat and potato and bread family. I  would like to include more healthy foods, but also have picky eaters to deal with. Salads are just boring, and by the time I get done with them, they are no longer healthy anyway, lol.

I don't know if this will help.... but I have noticed that I can buy quite a bit of veggies and the cost will be quite low for the amount that you get.  I like making a huge veggie soup, then eat on it for several days. The cost comes out pretty low, and you can alter the recipe and use veggies that cost less and come up with different combinations. Some soups taste good cold as well, one I make uses miso (which should not be boiled, just heated or eaten cold). It continues to ferment, and gets better each day. Here it is:

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/italian-vegetable-soup-no-stock-or-broth-needed/

If you get on pinterest and/or follow blogs, you will have a lot of recipes to choose from. 

Don't buy produce at a regular grocery store.  See if you can find a dedicated produce market or try some ethnic markets.  We always have eaten lots of vegetables but I couldn't have done it if I'd been shopping at the wrong stores.

Focus on in-season vegetables.  Yes, that means a lot of cabbage and carrots in the winter, but there are many ways to cook winter vegetables that are surprisingly tasty.  Try planting a garden if you can.

Also, skip the raw salads.  In my opinion it's difficult to eat lots of raw vegetables. It's much easier to eat 3/4 cup cooked cabbage than its raw equivalent.  Even if you love raw vegetables, which I do, it's hard to eat them in the same quantity as cooked vegetables.

Try eating vegetables for lunch or breakfast.

Many other cultures use vegetables extensively and have great recipes.  Try some different recipes from around the world and you might find some new things you love.

Another vote here for ethnic markets - especially Asian markets if you have them in your area. The produce is often riper than in typical supermarkets, so you may have to go more frequently but the cost savings are significant. Plus there's usually more variety, so  you can experiment with new-to-you veggies!

I'm fortunate to live in the Boston area where the Haymarket is available. DH works right down the street and visits most Fridays during his lunch break to purchase our veggies. The prices are insanely low compared to the grocery store. We eat tons of Romaine lettuce. At the store they cost $3/bag of three heads on sale ($4 not on sale). The same bag is a buck at the Haymarket. Brussels sprouts are $1.50 a pound. $1 a bunch for asparagus. Red and yellow peppers 2/$1. Strawberries/blueberries $1 a box. English cukes 3/$1. DH is choosy about the vendors he uses, and we will occasionally get an item that's a  bit over-ripe. But for the most part, the produce is good quality and the savings are huge.

On the opposite end of the cost spectrum, we are also members of a CSA at a local farm in the summer. I find that pound-for-pound the veggies are quite pricey compared to the grocery store (and especially compared to the Haymarket). But the quality is incredible and worth the cost. I love the fresh greens, herbs and tomatoes. And the strawberries for the first few weeks of summer are so incredibly delicious. I do not join the CSA for their fall/winter harvest, as I find that the veggies they offer during that season (potatoes, squash, etc.) are usually low-cost at the grocery store, and I can't justify the expense.

If your family is not used to eating many vegetables, I would start slowly.  Look for recipes that feature in-season vegetables.  Try each vegetable several ways:  for example, roasted, stir fried or perhaps in a soup.   Involve your children in the buying and the cooking - treat it like an adventure!!

Anne

Frozen vegetables can be affordable, especially when on sale.

Ditto the recommendation on ethnic markets.  We used to have an Asian supermarket near us in Brooklyn that was awesome.  Farmer's Markets can be good/bad…but are always fun.

Veggie soup is a great way to start.  Most kids will like it with some fun shaped pasta included.

You can add carrots to spaghetti sauce, even celery.

You can add in mixed frozen veggies to the meat layer in lasagna.

Carrots and hummus along with chips.

Cucumbers and ranch.  

Get one of Mollie Katzen's kid cookbooks and let your kids pick out the recipes.

I do not eat animal flesh/fluids and although Dh is an omni, I do the shopping and cooking, so we do not have the expense of buying meat, eggs or dairy.

That frees up plenty of money for fresh fruits and veggies.  Just compare the cost per pound of any fruit or veggie to the cost per pound of most meats and cheeses and they really aren't more expensive and provide so much more nutrition calorie for calorie.

Still, I will buy berries and such frozen in bulk at Sam's for smoothies etc, and I will often buy salad greens in bulk.  I will also buy fozen veggies like peas, corn, and green beans frozen in bulk. I shop the produce that is on sale, especially fruit.  Also, I only buy the dirty dozen organic as it is more costly and we eat A LOT of veggies/fruit with two adult and three kids still at home.

As far as meal prep/planning, I try to eat over 50% raw, so I usually only cook anything at dinner and even then, we have a huge salad as well.

A typical day:

breakfast: fresh fruit or fruit smoothie made with frozen fruit, 2 tbs ground flax & almond milk with a handfull of kale or spinach thrown in

snacks: fresh fruit or one serving of unsalted nuts or popcorn or cut up veggies w/hummus

lunch: salad w/ mixed greens, carrots, tomatoes & such and a handful of garbonzo beans, homemade balsamic dressing & maybe a dash of pepper

dinner: sauteed squash (or whatever veggies), brown rice or quinoa, huge garden salad as salad above w/out garbonzos

I have a couple of picky eaters as well (and that is such a frustration to me sometimes!), but I only prepare one meal (and I always include something everyone has eaten before), and if they are hungry, they will eat what is prepared.

Just start out slow by adding fresh veggies to one meal a day and work on adding more from there.  Most people are more likely to continue doing something successfully if they make the shift gradually.

PS My DH gets the occasional flesh fix via the sporadic meal out and my kids get the occasional "junk" fix via their Nanu!!!

There's nothing wrong with frozen veggies.  One example is chicken breast cooked with frozen sliced bell peppers, garlic and fajita seasoning.  I normally serve it with brown rice and a steamed green veg (frozen beans or peas are fine).

Buying in season is usually cheaper.  I also buy a lot of root veg, which tends (around here) to be cheaper and lasts longer in the fridge.  Roasted carrots, parsnip, etc. are very good.

L

I eat frozen.  I am a lot more likely to eat them if I can do so on a whim.  For example, I like mashed cauliflower and a bag of frozen cauliflower is $1.  

So, I will make up a couple of bags worth of mashed, and then divide it out into serving sizes for my lunch.  

But, I don't like canned.  

We keep frozen on hand. Costco has organic green beans that are good, though I don't prefer their broccoli. Broccoli, cauliflower, corn, okra, Lima beans, peas... All pretty good frozen.

We roast veggies frequently fall-spring. Frozen green beans, broccoli, and okra roast nicely. Cauliflower is better fresh when being roasted. Zucchini, Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, carrots, and shallots are other favorites for roasting from fresh.

Oh, and a delicious way to ease into veggies could be a tomato salad.

For a bruschetta-like salad I dice up some tomatoes, fresh chopped basil, clove of garlic, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, a splash of balsamic vinegar and a glug of olive oil. Can serve on toasted baguette or on grilled eggplant slices (to add another veggie). Also good on its own as a side dish.

For a caprese-inspired salad, I just add some diced fresh mozzarella to the salad above and omit the garlic. 

My 7 yr old decided to become a vegetarian about a year ago so we've been eating a lot more veggies as a family. The rest of us still eat meat but it's just easier to have meals that we will all eat. Plus, I think it's healthier. My advice would be to try to have one night a week at first be a veggie night, and develop recipes that you know and like and that are easy. Also, having some of your "quick, what's for dinner" meals be veggie ones is helpful. 

I have veggies we always buy and have on hand. For us that's spinach, bell peppers, cucumbers, salad, and onions. We always have lentils, plenty of canned black beans and other beans and frozen peas and corn. Then I might buy others depending on what's on sale, in season or if I have a new recipe. In the winter I love brussel sprouts, squash/pumpkin, green beans and potatoes. In the spring/summer we do a lot of asparagus, zucchini, summer squash, some eggplant and some tomatoes. (Neither dh and I like tomatoes but we use them in stuff.) 

Things we like: 

Omelets with veggie fillings

Quesadillas with veggies (the kids like black bean and spinach)

Black bean burritos (I use beans and whatever leftover veggies we have on hand)

Stir fry 

Vegetable curry 

Pasta salad or just warm pasta with veggies 

Roasted vegetables 

Grilled vegetables 

Salads 

Lentil and Quinoa tacos (surprisingly satisfying, even for my die-hard meat eaters)

Hummus and Brown Rice Fritters with Cucumber Yogurt Salad

Veggie chili

Lentil stew 

Zucchini "coins" (just zucchini lightly breaded and fried and dipped in tomato sauce)

Zucchini fritters

Zucchini and rice casserole 

Soups: a great dinner is some kind of veggie soup in the crockpot, salad and bread 

French onion, mushroom, vegetable, pumpkin/butternut squash 

I personally save money in other areas so that I CAN buy produce in the produce area.  If I am going to spend my money on anything, I would want it to be fresh produce for health reasons.  Food really is the best medicine...you know?   If I am going to have my kids snack on *anything* I would want it to ideally be some fresh produce.  So I make and find ways to do that as much as possible.    We can get a giant pack of organic baby greens for $4.99 at our grocery store. That lasts our family of 5 all week.  I sort of consider eating fresh greens an essential part of a human diet.  I'm sure you *could* survive without eating fresh greens, but it isn't good for you. 

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but here are ways we save money in other areas in order to buy produce:

1)  Don't buy beverages-  If you aren't already doing this, stop paying for things like juice or soda.  Just drink water.  (Or at the very least milk and water if you are a milk drinker.)  Drinking water is better for you and it will save a ton of money.   People might complain, but it dies down after awhile. ;)

2)  Don't pay extra for packaging.  Don't buy things in a box or premade, etc.  When you can MAKE your own.  That saves a ton of money plus you can control the ingredients.  Start slowly.  If you typically buy 'sides' of rice/pasta/potatoe dishes, stop buying them and just buy ingredients instead to make your own.  If you typically buy cookies, just buy flour, sugar, and eggs and make your own.  Eventually you can build up to other things like yogurt, etc.  (Very easy to make even though it sounds intimidating.)   Or chicken/beef stock, etc. 

3)  Don't waste your food budget on household items.  Use homemade cleaners when possible.  You can clean just about anything with vinegar and baking soda.  You can also make your own laundry detergent, etc.  I would rather spend my money on vegetables as opposed to paper towels or other non essential items like that.  (You can use towels to wipe up or other reusable things.) 

4)  Grow your own food as much as possible.  Start a garden. It is actually really easy to grow food.  AND.... Anything you can produce there is basically FREE food.  Plus, it gets you outside which is also good for you.   When I didn't have room for a garden, I grew some tomatoes, peppers, and lettuces on my porch in pots. 

5)  Learn to 'put away' food that you grow in the summer so that you have it for the winter.  We freeze jars of pasta sauce, salsas, bags of green beans, strawberries, etc.  We also can food we grow too. 

6)  Anything you can't grow, buy up when it is in season and put it away.  We can't grow enough apples to feed our family.  But when apples are in season we buy a BUNCH and then make applesauce or freeze so we have it for the winter.  We do the same thing with peaches.  (We can those and freeze some too.)  It is great to have them in the winter. 

7)  Buy meat direct from the source-- Instead of paying $5 a pound for ground beef at the grocery store (or whatever it is in your area)--Look into buying beef in bulk from a local farmer.  We get 100% grass fed beef for $4 a pound...and that includes a ton of DELICIOUS, MOUTH WATERING filets, t-bones, rib eyes, etc.  That isn't just ground beef we are eating.   (We grill steak every week in the summer for less than people are paying for conventional ground beef in our area.)   You can get conventional, grain fed beef for even cheaper..that is just what we pay for grass fed.  You can also buy pork, chicken and turkey directly from a farmer and save a ton too.  You will get better quality meat this way and save a lot of money by cutting out the middle man.  Plus you aren't eating gross factory farmed meat.  (You don't even want to know what grocery store meat goes through before it comes to you.)

8)  Waste less!  make sure you actually eat what you buy.  Wrap up left overs and serve them for lunch the next day.   If you have fruit that is on its way out, freeze it!  (Frozen grapes are a delicious snack.  Frozen apples, berries, and banannas are great in smoothies, etc.)  At the end of the week, we always do a left over salad where I cut up any and all produce left over and eat it!

We eat less meat. That's pretty much it. Meat is significantly more expensive per pound so if I take the $3-4/lb I would have spent on meat, I can turn around and buy several pounds of vegetables. Start thinking of meat as a garnish, a hint of flavor, a bit of richness. Fill out the rest with veg and whole grains (also cheap). Consider beans -oodles of heart and gut healthy fiber there. I buy canned because it requires less time and it isn't all that much more expensive.

I buy all my vegetables at the grocery store because it's significantly less expensive than the farmer's market. We're talking 1/3-1/2 of the cost. I try to buy things in season because they're cheaper. We eat oodles of oranges during the winter and have been taking advantage of asparagus right now. In a couple of weeks my kids will start eating their weight in strawberries. We'll eat strawberries like there's no tomorrow and then when the price goes up, we won't eat anymore until next year. I don't buy organics with the exception of boxed spinach or 50/50 greens/spinach because I can get 1lb whereas the conventional bags are smaller and more expensive per pound. Keep a price book if necessary so you can track the ebb and flow of prices and eat more when it's cheapest.

Do you have an Aldi in your area? They can sometimes have fantastic produce at really good prices. You just need to be a little choosy and try to time your purchase with produce deliveries. I try to do that with my grocery store as well. For instance, I never shop on Friday nights. They're usually out of what I want and what's left is of questionable quality.

I don't freeze, can, or garden because both take quite bit of time and money. Some years when we were gardening, we paid enough money in supplies and soil amendments, that it would have been better spent on vegetables at the grocery store. Ditto CSAs. We've coincidentally signed up for a CSA during a bad year both times we did it. You're paying to support the farmer, not to buy vegetables and you'll be shouldering some risk. Both times the seasons were weeks shorter than a normal season and the output/selection was diminished. IMO, not a good buy for those who have tight budgets.

We eat a lot of frozen veggies.  We sub things like cauli rice for traditional rice.  We have a garden, although I'm not sure it is all that inexpensive since we do raised beds. 

Minimize throwing stuff out...cook the right quantities or use/freeze leftovers.  Be sure you have a good system so for example fresh greens aren't getting wilty and gross in the fridge while the sturdier items are being used up first. 

I sometimes find we have less waste when we cook in bulk and freeze. 

eta: we also like buying the huge bags of organic frozen berries from Costco for smoothies. 

Here is our meal plan:

Breakfast: 

Egg bake:  48 eggs, 4 tomatoes, 2 package mushrooms, 4 bell peppers, 4 slices bacon, ground sausage, or ham (This serves our whole family for the week.  I make this ahead of time on the weekend when my DH is home.  I make it as a big egg casserole and bake it.  Then we all re-heat left overs throughout the week.  This is a quick breakfast that will really keep you full!  The eggs and pork are purchased cheaper through local farmers.  I sometimes use bell peppers I have frozen from our garden, or buy those.  I also use either fresh or canned tomatoes from garden.  I do have to buy the mushrooms.  You can use really ANY vegetables or meat you like in this.)

AM Snack: 

Mason jar parfait-  A spin off from this recipe.  Except I make my own yogurt out of milk.  (Super easy I swear!)  And use berries from our freezer.  I personally think the fruit makes these sweet enough.  But you could add honey or sugar to your yogurt if you want.  I make these on the weekend too so we can grab and go.

Lunch: 

Turkey " mini meat loaves" over baby salad greens, baked potato, and ranch dressing-  On grocery day, i take a HUGE pack of baby lettuce and mix it with all sorts of colorful veggies.  (Whatever is on sale.)  I store this in the fridge in a big Tupperware container.  This gets pulled out for lunches and dinners.   For the turkey mini meat loaves,  I take ground turkey, shredded carrots, shredded zucchini, shredded yellow squash and mix it all together.  I bake this in muffin tins.  Easy grab and go protein.  The potatoes are made in the microwave.  And the ranch dressing is just a ranch dressing mix combined with the yogurt made previously. 

PM Snack:  Cut up veggies and hummus.  (Make the hummus from dried beans bought in bulk to save money.)  or I use some of the ranch dressing made for lunch.   I also eat a hardboiled egg from some quick protein too. 

SO--as you can see, the stuff I eat during the day remains roughly the same.  Dinners change each night.  BUT, I 'meal plan' and come up with a list of stuff that I can make.  I shop my freezer/pantry first, and then buy what I need to help save money.   I don't assign meals to days, but instead make what I feel like based on the weather, what sounds good, how hectic my day has been, etc.   we might have something like this...

1)  Lentil taco salad (made like regular lentil tacos except we serve this over our previously made salad.  I use salsa and the plain yogurt as a dressing.  The kids put shredded cheese on theirs.) 

2)  Whole chicken cut up and cooked on the grill with salad.  (salad made from the fridge)  and baked sweet potatoes

3)  Pasta with beans and greens (bow tie pasta cooked according to package instructions. Then saute garlic, onion in some olive oil.  Add in some mushrooms and then a bit of chicken broth.  Add in some cannellini beans.  Add in a BUNCH of fresh spinach.  Serve over pasta with some parmesan cheese.)  We serve this with salad.

4)  Grilled pork chops, green beans, and baked potato

5)  Grilled sea food (whatever is on sale) with asparagus and baked sweet potato

6)  BLT salad (always have a quick meal on hand for hectic days to save you!) 

7)  Leftovers

I envy you all who have a Costco or local markets and such. We live in a tiny out of the way town and have a Walmart and a Food Lion. 

Lots of good ideas here, at least for myself. My picky family is another story. We already avoid junky stuff and boxed stuff. No sodas or juice. I'd just like to get more veggies in if possible. Thanks especially to you all who gave specific ideas! Gonna save this thread and type up a list from it. Embarrassingly enough, there were a couple things I had to look up because I'd never heard of them.  :blushing:

You can often find a list of in season vegetables for your specific region, but here's a general list to keep in mind - http://www.nourishinteractive.com/healthy-living/free-nutrition-articles/98-vegetables-by-season

Generally speaking, price is also a good guide. If it's cheaper than usual, then it's probably in season.

Cookbook wise, I liked Nava Atlas' "Vegetarian Family Cookbook" for menu, recipe, meal ideas. She has lots of suggestions for picky eater options and how you can serve one dish to accomodate multiple tastes.

Cookus Interruptus - http://www.cookusinterruptus.com/ - and Cynthia Lair's "Feeding the Whole Family" are also good resources. There's a video on CI (and a recipe in "Feeding the Whole Family") for quick boiled greens which is a great way to make more assertive greens (kale, mustard, collard) more palatable. There's also a recipe for a couple of massaged kale salads which is another way to serve deep greens to slightly less enthusiastic audiences. I have an uncle who hates many vegetables and loves the massaged kale salad.

Time is really going to be your biggest friend. Make small changes and keep introducing kids (and picky adults) to new foods/flavors multiple times. Try, try, and try again. My kids used to hate asparagus, but they like it now. They also used to be a lot pickier. It's taken persistence on my part and lots of patience.

We often heat up a bag or two or three (there are 5 of us) of frozen vegetables for lunch. The kids like them plain since they are used to eating them that way. It costs about 25-60 cents/person/day depending on how much we eat.

We do this. I mostly buy bagged, frozen veggies. We eat several bags with a meal (big family but I can easily eat a bag of cauliflower myself). I also look for reduced produce on the day before the new sale week starts. As for the picky, I butter the kids' veggies, add Parmesan or garlic, sometimes take a cue from my grandma and sprinkle on some bacon. A slightly " doctored" veggie is better than no veggie at so. I've used several recipes from here http://frenchfood.about.com/od/sidedishes/

A word on frozen veggies, for those who wonder about their freshness:

The manufacturers of frozen veggies locate their facilities close to the farms which supply them. This not only reduces transportation cost, it also allows the veggies to be picked when they are at their peak of ripeness. The veggies are driven to the facility, washed, trimmed and cut, and flash - frozen to preserve their taste and texture as much as possible. Flash - freezing results in much smaller ice crystals, and less tearing of the tissues of the vegetable. This is why veggies you freeze at home never come out quite the same as store - bought frozen -- home freezers freeze mire slowly, allowing bigger crystals to develop. Flash - freezing also preserves the nutrients.

"Fresh" veggies in the produce section of grocery stores, on the other hand, frequently must travel quite a distance from the farm. To survive the rigors of transport these veggies (and fruit) are usually picked when they are less ripe and less flavorful. They usually don't have their full allotment of nutrients, either. This is why produce grown closer to where you live is so much more enjoyable -- it is allowed to ripen more before picking and transportation.

When cooking veggies cook them only as long as needed, and in as little water as possible. The longer veggies cook the more certain nutrients will break down. The more water surrounds the veggies as they cook the more it will carry away other nutrients.

I serve frozen veggies quite frequently. I enjoy their ease and immediacy, and find that for my area some veggies (like petite peas) are easier to find in frozen than fresh (and I don't have to shell and sort all those peas). I also like to serve raw veggies and fresh veggies that I cook when I find them in good condition for a good price. I do have to watch it, though, when the good stuff really starts coming in. It's too easy for me to buy more than we can eat, and end up throwing a lot away.

What veggies do you like? Just eat those if they make you happy.

I don't find vegetables to be particularly expensive and I just buy what I like. Broccoli is 1.30lb and we go through 3 lbs per week fairly reliably. It might not be 'exciting' but I like it. I can steam it and sprinkle a bit of Parmesan cheese on top for a nice side dish. Cabbage is .79lb and we go through one cabbage per week. Again, not exciting but tasty and great in a stir fry or soup. I also buy a 2lb bag of washed and chopped kale for 2.50 a week. Again, not particularly expensive, but great in a soup or sauteed with garlic or steamed and topped with lemon. And that 2lbs is a big bag that goes a long way with no waste. Toss in a .99 bag of carrots and a .99 bag of frozen spinach and those are my veggies for the week. If they are in season I might buy a .99 cucumber and call it a party.

The funny thing is, we eat veggies at every meal and I rarely make a salad. They don't really appeal to me unless the temps are over 80. And, yes, I eat veggies at breakfast as well. I regularly have egg whites cooked with that frozen spinach and some salsa for breakfast. If I am really trying to get more veggies I will also add in some low sodium V8 as a drink with breakfast or with an afternoon snack.

We eat a lot of veggies, but not necessarily a huge variety. I pick a few things my family likes and that are the most nutrient dense- Brussels sprouts, kale, and broccoli mostly. Other stuff gets added when it's on sale or in small quantities for a salad topping.

We eat a fair amount of veggies too.  I've found Trader Joe's to be much less expensive (and fresher) than a lot of other places, so I get the bulk of our stuff there.  We eat a lot of salads, but that's because we like them, not just to get veggies.  I will frequently put a plate of crudite on the table, and it goes very quickly.  One thing everyone likes is chicken/veggie packets.  On a large piece of foil, I layer thinly sliced potatoes, peppers (of all colors), broccoli, thin sliced carrots (not in mine though, because I'm allergic), thin sliced celery and top it with a piece of chicken, add some butter and seasonings, fold up the foil to form tightly sealed packets, and bake on 350 for about 45 minutes.  The veggies are tender (the potatoes get crispy on the edges if they are on the bottom of the packet), and the chicken in juicy.  You can also add veggies to just about anything.  If you're afraid they won't get eaten, chop them up so they're small.  I chop up eggplant and put in into almost any casserole I make, and no one notices (they all say they hate eggplant-ha!).  You can put them in pasta sauce, sloppy joe's, tacos, etc, and you can cook them in eggs for breakfast.

I have found that Spinach (both fresh and frozen), lettuce, cabbage, carrots, beets, broccoli, tomatoes, cucumbers are almost always reasonably priced. I buy from Costco and Trader Joe's mostly. I also frequently go to the local Korean market, Chinese market and Indian market for produce. Another tip is to sprout beans and lentils - garbanzo, black eyed peas, lentils etc - they are a good substitute for fresh, chopped veggies because the sprouting process converts them into densely nutritious vegetables. You can add steamed sprouts to your salads for protein content and add them to soups or make hummus from them.

In the fall, I get a lot of squash, yams, sweet potatoes and pumpkin and cook with them. I even add these to pasta sauces and soups.

This is a wonderful thread!!!  Love these ideas!!! 

I grew up eating what was at the time probably considered "American healthy"- that is, frozen/canned veggies, corn on the cob, or iceberg with ranch dressing.  LOL.  I was under the impression I didn't really like vegetables. 

For our first year or so of marriage, my poor husband had to live with me learning to cook.  But I am SO GLAD I learned to do veggies right.  They are now my favorite part of the meal!  I had a friend who invited me over at lunch time, and she was a great cook, so I made her tell me her secrets.  I had another friend who was into more adventurous raw/vegan recipes, so I would take notes on her cooking as well.  I read food blogs.  And soon I discovered how good veggies could be.  :-) 

Sometimes it can be discouraging to buy vegetables when everyone turns their nose up and a lot gets wasted, so knowing how to cook or prepare them well is important. 

Key things to know how to do:

- Make a good vinaigrette, and wean yourself off mayo-based dressings (unless it's homemade mayo, in which case all bets are off....) 

- Learn to make a good salad.  My personal fave is a simple vinaigrette on baby greens with red onion thinly sliced, raisins or craisins, and sunflower seeds.  A close second is an Asian inspired salad with an Asian vinaigrette, and lots of chopped veggies in with the greens. 

For cooked veggies, you can incorporate them into a main dish- sauteed chicken over sauteed leeks, roast bell peppers and onions on fajitas, spinach lasagna, asparagus risotto (spring) or butternut squash risotto (winter), etc. 

- Keep it simple- they are more likely to get eaten if the recipe only takes 5 minutes to throw together- tomato-mozzarella salad with balsamic vinaigrette, grated raw beets with vinaigrette, veggie sticks with dip of your choice, quick guacamole (just avocado+salsa) plus chIf you are sure they will be eaten, you probably won't mind the price as much!  Start trying to make veggies 1/4 of each plate, then gradually move to 1/3, with the ultimate goal being 1/2 plate. 

More great ideas and links! Yayy! Gonna have plenty to look at. Thanks!

We do eat green bell peppers pretty often (the other colors are outrageously priced here). Also, I really like the frozen broccoli and cauliflower, but the others will only eat it raw, thus the price being higher. Oh, and we eat plenty of tomatoes too, but I never thought of them as a veggie for some reason.  :)

Just on a side note, I went to one site that had a list of ways to get more veggies in your diet, and they suggested corn! :001_rolleyes:   It was WebMD.

I find eating fruit and veggies to be much cheaper than eating a meat and potatoes diet....

You've gotten great advice above.

Not here. For one thing, it takes a lot more vegetables to fill you up and keep you full than it does meat. Also, we grab our meat when it is marked down. And by meat, I don't mean roasts and steaks. Mostly chicken, ground beef, and pork chops when they are really marked down. We do have eggs from my aunt's chickens along with fried potatoes (in coconut oil) as a meal, so that is sort of meat and potatoes too. :-) Still pretty cheap.

I don't.

Nope. Not unless you have expensive tastes in meat. If you eat primarily chicken, the vegetable side dish frequently ends up costing more than the meat. Also, potatoes are super cheap compared to any sort of green vegetable.

It's cheaper on a per pound basis, but not on a per calorie basis.

For some specific examples, I've seen chicken legs at 40c/lb but they're usually more like 60c/lb. There are no vegetables that I can buy that cheaply, and the only fruit that's that cheap is bananas. Now, yes, that includes some bone, but when I cost it on a per calorie basis it's still about half the cost.

This doesn't mean I don't include them. But I could eat for about half the cost if I cut out the broccoli and cauliflower and filled up on rice and beans as a side for the meat instead.

The way that a high veggie diet is cheaper for us is that we use a lot of beans and pulses.  They contain protein and fibre, so they do fill you up.  My teenagers are quite satisfied with a pinto bean dish over brown rice with lots of green veggies.

L

As for advice to the OP: Remember to look for frozen vegetables. These have some huge advantages, but I think the biggest one is that they don't go off. Reducing waste saves a lot of money. I can usually find broccoli, peas, green beans, and mixed vegetables the most cheaply. I also buy other vegetables but they're usually added in small quantities for flavor rather than in large quantities for nutrition, so I can spend a little more on them. Again, I buy them frozen and pull a bit out of the bag, then toss it back in the freezer.

You can try growing microgreens. I usually keep about four trays of microgreens growing at a time. Microgreen salads are very tasty and nutritionally dense. Right now I have sunflower, buckwheat, broccoli, kale and mixed salad greens growing. It is pretty inexpensive to grow your own and it is also very easy.

I envy you all who have a Costco or local markets and such. We live in a tiny out of the way town and have a Walmart and a Food Lion. 

Lots of good ideas here, at least for myself. My picky family is another story. We already avoid junky stuff and boxed stuff. No sodas or juice. I'd just like to get more veggies in if possible. Thanks especially to you all who gave specific ideas! Gonna save this thread and type up a list from it. Embarrassingly enough, there were a couple things I had to look up because I'd never heard of them.  :blushing:

They are not cheap, but have you ever tried Fried Radishes?  I know what you are thinking.  Radishes are real food about as much as playdoh.  But, when cooked the bitter ickiness goes away.  I grate radishes in the food processor and cook them like hash browns.  You can find recipes online.  I've noticed that the smaller the pieces and the longer they are cooked, the more like a potato they are.  

Until a few years ago, I pretty much avoided every healthy vegetable.  

Meat is never 40-60 cents/lb here. Never. Not even the cheap cuts and not ground meat (beef, turkey, chicken) unless you're talking the frozen tubes of some off-brand company. Chicken is less expensive than beef lately, but never less expensive than vegetables. As for nutrient density, that really depends. The other thing you have to keep in mind is that lettuce and cucumbers have a high water content so expecting to eat all lettuce and cucumbers to fill you up is a little silly.

I feel like we have this conversation everytime someone asks for suggestions about how to fit more vegetables in your diet. Generally speaking the same handful of people insist that vegetables are too expensive, that meat's more filling, that they could never eat less meat, etc while Laura and I try to explain that it can be cheaper, but that it's an issue of fiber/volume.

So, in the interests of soundng like a broken record - it's an issue of fiber. Fiber fills bellies and keeps your heart and gut healthy. Mix higher fiber vegetables, legumes, and whole grains with more watery veggies. Fill your plate and add a smaller portion of meat on the side or over the top.

Green peppers are just as high in vitamin c as the colored ones, stick with the green. Vitamin c is one of those plant only vitamins and boosts iron absorption. Sometimes I can get red peppers for the same price as green, but I never buy yellow or orange.

Buying fruit...don't go by color - that's forced. An orange could have green on it and still be ripe. In the US they've trained us to see orange as ripe, but that's not always the case. Go by feel (gently and lightly squeeze non-bruising fruits), smell, thump, see how heavy or light it feels compared to its size. Apples are going to be an issue of variety when it comes to price. We've never had a honeycrisp because they're never in my price range. I buy local apples, but at my grocery store because they're cheaper than at a local orchard. They're only available at the store when apples are in season so that's the only time of the year that we eat apples.

I would not buy blackberries now. They're out of season. Shoot for end of summer or the beginning of autumn for best result. As for cost, you're looking for a general trend of cheaper, not a one off sale. If they're on sale within the fruit's season, then that's even better. This time of year in N. America your best bet is pineapple, kiwi, blood oranges, grapefruit, and bannanas (because they can be picked unripe and ripen along the way). Of course, around here blood oranges haven't been in the store for a couple of months. I only had a two week window for blood oranges which is sad (though very tasty). Strawberries are on the cusp, but still variable at this point.

Which, again, goes back to eating in season. Just because you can buy it at the grocery store all year round doesn't mean it's going to be the best flavor/quality. This website will tell you what's in season in N. America - http://www.eattheseasons.com/index.php. Use this and sale price as your guide.

We eat plenty of fruit already. Mostly bananas and apples along with some canned peaches and mandarin oranges. Also I do frozen strawberries and blueberries in smoothies for myself. I think of fruit more or less as dessert. 

My only point is I eat meat regularly and I doubt I'm spending a ton more on my food bill than many people. To each their own really.

But that's not what the OP is asking, though, right? You have picky eaters who won't eat vegetables and you like meat. This comes up in every vegetable and grocery budget thread as a counter to any suggestion I, or someone with similar philosophy, make. I get that what I suggest won't work for you. That doesn't make it wrong or what I say any less true. I can only go from personal experience. The more meat I buy the less vegetables I can buy. It's an issue of math.

I think vegetables are really important to include in one's diet - one thing the science is really clear on as far as health/longevity is concerned. I prioritize accordingly within my budget.

To give an idea of stretching meat without leaving the family feeling empty, should you wish to do it (I’m not saying that everyone should, but the question was – how to increase veg, and make space in the budget for it).

Day 1: I buy a ham half price and soak it over night.

Day 2: dinner - roast the ham and eat it with baby potatoes and (whatever fresh/frozen veg is cheap at the moment)

Day 3: lunch - pea soup with small cubes of ham and brown bread; dinner - fried rice with small cubes of ham and a chopped up omelette with frozen veg (peas, etc.) served with (cheap fresh/frozen veg)

Day 4: same lunch as day 3; dinner - whole grain pasta tossed with olive oil, frozen bell peppers and cubes of ham, with (cheap fresh veg) on the side

Day 5: lunch - lentil soup with small cubes of ham and brown bread; dinner - ham and frozen cauliflower croquettes with brown rice and (cheap fresh/frozen veg)

Day 6: same lunch as day 5; something not ham-based for supper

Day 7: something not ham-based

Day 1: buy two chickens to roast and use them up over the week……

You get the idea….. 

This is how I grew up, so it’s nothing particularly novel.  My parents were middle class but wartime frugal.

L

Don't forget that things like salsa count as a vegetable, lol. My kids like refried beans spread on a tortilla and then dipped in salsa. We don't eat meat at home and have a whole lot of beans etc as a part of our diet. I am pretty confident that I spend much less on groceries than anyone else I know. One lb of lentils is .79 and I get two entrees out of that, with leftovers for lunch etc. If someone is watching their food budget then cutting back on meat is one of the first things to do. Something like pasta with greens and beans is a standard budget stretcher.

to the op, if you are making fruit smoothies, toss in some frozen spinach. I have a vitamix, so we have smoothies every day. I personally have smoothies that are almost all vegetable, but my youngest doesn't like that. But, from the first day we got the vitamix I told them the rule is that every smoothie has to have a vegetable. So, he can have either .5 cup frozen spinach or a carrot or a large handful of romaine lettuce leaves in his smoothie.  But be warned that berries and spinach make for a very ugly smoothie. Red or purple berries and green spinach taste great but look like a glass of mud :lol:  OTOH, my younger boy will actually drink that for the entertainment value.

But even a standard blender should be able to handle frozen spinach without trouble.

Don't forget that things like salsa count as a vegetable, lol. My kids like refried beans spread on a tortilla and then dipped in salsa. We don't eat meat at home and have a whole lot of beans etc as a part of our diet. I am pretty confident that I spend much less on groceries than anyone else I know. One lb of lentils is .79 and I get two entrees out of that, with leftovers for lunch etc. If someone is watching their food budget then cutting back on meat is one of the first things to do. Something like pasta with greens and beans is a standard budget stretcher.

to the op, if you are making fruit smoothies, toss in some frozen spinach. I have a vitamix, so we have smoothies every day. I personally have smoothies that are almost all vegetable, but my youngest doesn't like that. But, from the first day we got the vitamix I told them the rule is that every smoothie has to have a vegetable. So, he can have either .5 cup frozen spinach or a carrot or a large handful of romaine lettuce leaves in his smoothie.  But be warned that berries and spinach make for a very ugly smoothie. Red or purple berries and green spinach taste great but look like a glass of mud :lol:  OTOH, my younger boy will actually drink that for the entertainment value.

But even a standard blender should be able to handle frozen spinach without trouble.

Oh yeah, I do put spinach in my smoothies. My Ninja can handle it. 

I think all these great ideas are serving to make me even more aggravated with picky eaters. DH won't even eat pasta or rice. I tried sneaking cauliflower in our potato soup (which I thought was great, by the way), and he picked it out of his. Which of course meant that I could no longer fix it that way without annoying him.  :glare:  I hate having to fix separate meals, so I generally just fix what he likes rather than deal with the attitude. The girls are a bit picky too, but I can at least get them to eat what is fixed, regardless of whether they love it. This is why I especially like the suggestions of how to add veggies to meals and snacks, rather than substitute. At least the girls and I can get some better nutrition.

My menu for veggies is easy and inexpensive, but also quite boring. I don't try to disguise them or completely mask their taste. I don't care much if they think it is boring. It's what you eat or go hungry. :)

I buy mostly frozen vegetables and cook or steam them. Add a little salt and butter. Done. Once in a while I will add other seasonings like onion or garlic, or honey. But not often.

We also have a lettuce/leafy salad with almost every dinner. Sometimes I'll add tomatoes or other fresh veggies. Served with a couple choices of salad dressing.

Other than that I add a good amount of vegetables to soups and casseroles whether they are in the recipe or not. Who says you can't put broccoli in tomato bisque or green beans in creamy turkey soup? I'm a kitchen rebel that way. :D

I'll have to try that!  I try to buy the lower sodium hams, but even those sometimes are saltier than I'd like.  Do you just soak it in cold water in the fridge overnight?

Do you do that with all the various types of hams?

I normally just buy smoked ham - I'm not a big connoisseur.  And yes, just in cold water overnight in the fridge.  I forgot to do it one time and we all found the ham much less pleasant.

L

If you're already meat and taters some good ones are homemade sweet potatoe fries, not deep fried just a das of olive oil in the pan and rotate on all four sides of each fry. Time consuming, but served with ketchup it's a family fave. Butternut squas, cut in half and bake on a pan with cut side down. Frozen veggie faux stirfry, a bowl full of veggies with those johnsonville cheddar sausages cut up on top, put in the micro. One sausage for kids, 2 for adult.

There's an Egyptian way of cooking vegetables that my kids really like… basically it's mixed veggies or peas and carrots in a tomato sauce.  You start by sautéing some onion in olive oil with a little salt and pepper…once it's clear, add in about 1/2-1 can of tomato sauce.  Let it cook.  Then add in a bag or two of slightly thawed mixed veggies.   You let it cook for about 20 minutes.  

There's also a great Turkish way of cooking green beans that my kids like.  It's very similar.  I think the tomato adds sweetness, which is why my kids like it.  http://www.turkishcookbook.com/2005/03/flat-beans-with-olive-oil.php

Oh, we also love to cook broccoli and broccolini following this Rachel Ray recipe:  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/garlicky-broccolini-recipe.html

Our family probably eats about two pounds of vegetables per person per day, at best guess.  We eat meet and vegetables at almost every meal.

We never expensive cuts of meat - heart, tongue, liver etc are much cheaper.  We spurge with ground meats or canned fish sometimes and we don't eat huge servings. 

Then we fill up on vegetables.  The way we afford it is to buy whatever is in season in large quantities and we mix and match at least five different vegetables per meal, all steamed or roasted together!  Then we alternate steaming them and serving them with salt, pepper, and butter with roasting them (see below).  Leftovers go into home made stock and are tomorrow's lunch.  (Breakfast is fried eggs over baby salad greens.)

Because steamed and roasted veg are served on the side, I think you could just make small servings of them and put them on the table.  You can eat them, your kids can eat them, your honey can ignore them, unlike when you try to "hide them" in a dish.  ;) If you make small enough quantities and put the vegetable serving dish near you, so you can hoard it if it's good, you might eventually interest the children in Mamma's "treat". (Depending on age and temperament, of course.)  The truth is that if they are over about 4 and they feel "forced" after years of not "having to" eat veg, you may get some mouthfuls into them, but you won't inculcate the habit.  If you make it seem desirable by enjoying them yourself without being too concerned with how much they eat, you are likely to go further in creating the idea that veg is food.  Yummy food!

You will have less waste if you make it in very small quantities - especially if you also use a lot of frozen.  Assume a side dish for one at first and add lovely seasonings.  Mmmmmmmmmmmm  butter...  ;)

If you're already meat and taters some good ones are homemade sweet potatoe fries, not deep fried just a das of olive oil in the pan and rotate on all four sides of each fry. Time consuming, but served with ketchup it's a family fave. Butternut squas, cut in half and bake on a pan with cut side down. Frozen veggie faux stirfry, a bowl full of veggies with those johnsonville cheddar sausages cut up on top, put in the micro. One sausage for kids, 2 for adult.

You could make it less time consuming by roasting the sweet potato fries.  That's what we do.  We cut them into fries, put them in a mixing bowl and drizzle them with olive oil and then toss, toss, toss until they are completely covered with oil.  Put them on a roasting dish with a slotted spoon to minimize the amount of excess il and then roast for 10-15 minutes at 450F.  Then keep checking them every few minutes until they look golden brown.  Yummy.