Menu

Tell me about Black Labs

PrairieSong

A good friend has to get rid of her black lab/German shorthair dog because one grown daughter is allergic and cannot visit their house until they get rid of him. My friend LOVES him and wants to find a good home for him. He looks just like a black lab. He's very sweet but still kind of a puppy, almost a year old. He's been known to chew on things and jump over fences. She is having him neutered soon which will calm him down...as will just getting a little older. By the time he's two he should be out of his puppy phase.

I love him and would love to take him! He knows I love him and every time I visit he comes to me for affection and puts his paw on my knee if I stop petting him. We have a large backyard. Usually we are home but for the rare times we are not, she has a large cage which she says he doesn't mind. I just don't want him tearing up stuff. My youngest (a young teen) would love a dog as would I. My husband is indifferent but would not like it if the dog chewed up or otherwise ruined stuff. We have an older cat, age ten. I'm not sure how they would get along.

Tell me about black labs. Are they wonderful pets? Should we take this dog?

Wonderful pets once they reach about 3 years old. They will chew everything till about 1.5 years including their own leashes, beds, stuffies as well as table legs, chairs, magazines, plastic water bottles...you get the picture. They are very loving though and since they are so food-motivated training is generally straightforward. Not sure I'd take on a puppy again.

Best dogs in the world, in my opinion.  As for the chewing... if they aren't left alone a lot, it's not so bad.  I actually had one that was never a chewer, but she was never left in a position where she could get to anything.  They are easily trained, eager to please, very sweet, smart, loving dogs, and should be okay w/ the cat.  The cat might not agree, but a couple of swats at the dog, and the dog will probably steer clear.  I say go for it!

Does your house smell doggy? Or can you tell? My friend's house does, but they also have two English bull dogs and as much as I love my friend, she's not the world's greatest housekeeper. That sounds horrible and judgmental but really I'm just trying to explain the situation. My house isn't immaculate either. Anyway, I don't think the dogs get bathed very often. They are fed well and loved and taken to the vet.

I really don't want a doggy smelling house.How do I avoid that?

Does your house smell doggy? Or can you tell? My friend's house does, but they also have two English bull dogs and as much as I love my friend, she's not the world's greatest housekeeper. That sounds horrible and judgmental but really I'm just trying to explain the situation. My house isn't immaculate either. Anyway, I don't think the dogs get bathed very often. They are fed well and loved and taken to the vet.

I really don't want a doggy smelling house.How do I avoid that?

Feed a high quality food.

Brush a lot.

Bathe as needed.  Which could be anywhere from once a week to a couple of times a year.  Ignore people who say a dog shouldn't be bathed very often.  They're either lazy or clueless or both. ;)

Wash anything the dog lays on in the house at least once every couple of weeks.  I try to wash all pet bedding once a week.

Brush the dog's teeth or give him dental chews.  Keep check on his ears.  Sometimes odor is not from the coat, but due to the condition of the teeth or ears.

We had black labs when I was a kid.  We loved them very much.  They were a LOT of fun and very sweet and loving.  But they shredded our fence, tore up the bushes, uprooted a small tree, ripped the wallpaper off the wall, ate my brother's underwear (which I found hilariously funny at the time :) ), tore up a wooden picnic bench (hospitalized for that one since one swallowed the wood) and just basically caused a lot of havoc.  However, it was the more aggressive of the two that was almost exclusively the instigator.  I think the more easy going one would not have been nearly as destructive if he hadn't had brother's influence so maybe yours would be o.k.

But if your husband is only so so on having a dog, and you know he would not want one that chews on things...I think I'd pass.

Sorry I can't share a more positive story with you.  We really did have fun with our labs, but they caused more destruction in 8 months (we couldn't keep them) than any other animal I have ever owned in several decades (and I have had MANY animals).

Labs suffer from prolonged puppyhood. In some cases it's more like perpetual puppyhood. Training is pretty straightforward and most behavior can be managed, especially if the dog has enough exercise. Bored labs will get into trouble with chewing, digging, and general rambunctious behavior. All tend to LOVE their people and crave their company. This sounds wonderful, but can be overwhelming if it's not what you're expecting. 1 of the three we've had over the years had true separation anxiety and would follow me every where. Having a lab can be very rewarding, but labs under age 3 or so are like toddlers. They need safe entertainment, lots of supervision, and will often be underfoot.

Labs are a high-drive/energy dog.  Most problems people face with these dogs are due to human-error.

These dogs cannot be left alone in the yard for hours on end, or left in the house for hours on end.  They need physical activity and a job to do.  They need regular interaction/attention from their human companions.  

During the puppy stage, it's about management -- don't leave the dog alone (give him an opportunity to chew/be destructive).  Crate train.  Use a leash indoors, too.  Someone needs to be paying attention to the dog -- or it should be in its crate.  Do NOT leave a high-energy dog in their crate for hours (except for at bedtime).  Gradually teach the dog what it should do (teach him what you want him to do, not just discipline for what he does that you don't like).  Large dogs are really puppies for about 2 years.  If they have been neutered young, research is showing that their maturity can be impaired (among other things).  Most will recommend not neutering or spaying a dog until at least 18-24 months (large breeds). *NEUTERING* does NOT calm a dog down.  The best ways to calm down an excited dog are to interact with it, train it, and give it a job (Obedience, tracking, agility).  There is a lot of new long-term research coming out on spaying/neutering dogs and long-term problems associated with the practice (adrenal issues, skeletal/mental development, cancers, etc.).  If you want to fix your dog, to prevent pregnancies, vasectomies would be preferable.

Our 7 mo. old German Shepherd puppy is quite a handful.  Her routine goes something like this:

6am -- long walk, play time (about an hour in the morning)

7am -- breakfast 

10am -- Potty Break & play 30-60 minutes

1:45pm -- Potty Break & play 30-60 minutes 

2:40pm  -- Crate Time (swimming -- we're at the pool, she's in her crate for about 3 hours)

5:30pm -- Short walk & Play (30 minutes)

6:30pm -- Dinner

8:00pm -- Long walk & Play (60+ minutes)

10:00pm -- Short Walk & play (15-30 minutes)

10:30pm -- Crate for the night

The times are ranges, because some days she needs a bit more exercise than others.  She also has training sessions (about 5 minute spurts) during the play time.  We know she's had enough when she is no longer really focused on play, or she takes the ball and sits down/lies down.

She is becoming a very good dog, but she's still a bit mouthy (especially when she has to "go" or hasn't had enough exercise).  

I have a black lab/german shorthair mix. Previously we had Siberian Huskies for many years. I've never had such a loyal, loveable dog. In many ways, she's like a toddler. She's 10. She was high energy for a few years, but with proper walking and a big back yard, it's not too much of an issue. proper bathing and brushing eliminates a lot of hair issues too. 

My dog looks all lab, except one of her ears has a more German Shorthair look, the other a lab look. They are easy and eager to train and will come back when you call (huskies only run in one direction, away). 

Cons? They're big dogs. Their tails can smack hard. They really do want to be with people. My dog is my shadow. Labs tend to have ear problems stemming from some skin issues. Make sure you treat for fleas and ticks and bathe regularly. Get them used to being around people and train them. Because of their size and bark, they can appear intimidating. Really all they want to do is jump up and kiss you. Train them not to jump. 

My dog knows when I'm upset. Through the chaos of the last year, she will come and nuzzle up to me and want to lick me when she know I'm upset. Huskies think it's all about them. 

My dog sleeps on my bed, but ds comes to tuck her in every night. It's really quite adorable. But yes, sometimes it's like having a perpetual toddler in the house. 

We think our black lab is a German mix (based on his litter mate who was abandoned with him, but he also looks just like a lab (except his torso is really long).

Ours has never been a big chewer. Our neighbor's lab is and that dog is never going to grow out of it. I wouldn't count on this guy growing out of it. My observation is that labs are incredibly trainable. They are also incredibly food oriented. You can accomplish a lot with that. My other observation is that labs (and other high energy retrievers) tend to act just like the kids in that household. Meaning I've seen a correlation between parents with well disciplined kids and labs that obey, and the flip of that. It's a limited study, but I think it's connected with the consistency of the training.

I didn't actually want a big dog, so my dh, the former Marine, took on all things puppy. Our dog is still energetic, but he's extremely obedient. We have had close to zero behavior problems at the house. Somehow leash walking is the one issue that prevails despite much energy being out into it. I think his lab energy just takes over when he's on the leash because he's SO HAPPY!!!! to go on a walk.

Our dog has the *perfect* dog personality. He's a love. He wants nothing more than to be with the family. He's a fairly chilled out guy. He relocates himself to wherever the family is, which means we're often kicking him out from under the kitchen table at dinner time (he likes laying on our feet).

Dogs are like kids, you need to be willing to take this guy as he is. You need to be willing to work with his chewing and energy levels. You need to expect to spend more money and time than you think. Don't go into this with the expectation that he'll change. I think he can with age and training, but he may not and you need to be ok with that.

Oh, 2 more things. My dog sheds like crazy. We brush and vacuum, but there is still lab hair everywhere. It's my least favorite thing about the dog. My second least favorite is having to make arrangements for his care when we leave town or even take a super long day trip. Or having to take him with us, which is a hassle.

Second, his most charming quality, he is like tinkerbell. He only feels one feeling at a time, and he feels it so completely it takes over his entire being. When he is happy, you have never seen such happiness. When he gets in trouble, you have never seen a creature more ashamed and repentant. When he is excited, there is no talking him down, he cannot possibly contain himself. I love that about him.

As far as energy level and exercise needs, I'd be much more concerned about what the German Shorthair is contributing to the mix.  Most people think Labs are high energy, but I've yet to meet a Lab who had anywhere near the energy or exercise needs of the pointing breeds.  Not even close.

We've had black lab mixes from the time the boys were little.  We just put down our last.  I'm sure there are exceptions, but all the labs I've known were the best dogs with kids.  They need lots of exercise when young and do best with lots of attention.  However, I've seen neglected labs who are still very sweet.  They have long puppyhoods.  They chew A LOT.  I've lost the ends off the rocking chairs on the porch, shoes, the wood decking on the porch...they often came home carrying deer carcass parts that people threw in the woods around our home.  They love water - we always had a kiddie pool for them to cool off in although one liked the pond the best (but that added to the stink factor).  Ours were outdoor dogs with indoor privileges.  They shed - A LOT.  And mine would go outside and roll in something after bathing so that didn't really help us.  My oldest son just adopted a lab cross from the local shelter.  He said, "when she's bigger, she'll be a great pillow just like Rosie".  Rosie would let the boys relax against her while they watched TV or played video games.  My son's idea of a complete house was one that had a lab mix.  

Having a lab puppy is like having a toddler with ADHD.  If you can stand that, you should do well with a lab puppy indoors.  

Thanks so much to everyone who replied!! I'm thinking of asking my friend to bring Rory over for a short visit, and after that maybe some longer visits to see how things go. He really is a sweet dog. I don't mind walking him; I'm supposed to walk daily anyway. My 14yo son could walk him also. I miss the snuggles from little kids so I wouldn't mind an affectionate dog...as long as he doesn't smell bad. :-) I wouldn't mind bathing him. I bathed our two dogs when I was growing up and actually enjoyed making them sweet smelling.

Having a lab puppy is like having a toddler with ADHD. If you can stand that, you should do well with a lab puppy indoors.

Haha, that's what my friends said. "Our kids grew up but now we have a toddler in he house again!" We have seven kids and two of ours were very rambunctious toddlers. I managed to keep up with them (mostly) and lived through it. Plus, Rory is almost a year old and so is through part of his puppyhood.

We took in a 5 year old chocolate lab (if she's a mix we can't tell what it might be) my cousin had rescued. Her weight fluctuates between 77-81 pounds. The 77 end is better for her. 

She always has to have some sort of soft toy to carry around in her mouth for comfort purposes. She'll get a sock or towel if she can't find a sanctioned "wubby". She doesn't shred anything, just carries it around with her. She is good with the kids, and because we got our chickens and ducks as chicks/ducklings, we were able to introduce her to them. She is very protective of them now. She's miserable on the leash, but I've a bad rotator cuff which makes consistent training very difficult. She's also incredibly strong and wants to snuggle and kiss. This can be overwhelming for smaller children or people who don't like dogs. We crated her only after it became evident that she was a trash eater. The only time she's destroyed our belongings is when she's been upset. As we are her fifth family she came to us with a pretty severe case of separation anxiety. 

Until I saw her at my cousin's house, I'd never met a lab I liked. Their energy was just obnoxious. I know now that they don't stop being puppies for much longer (some of the reading I did suggested up to four years) and realized that the majority of the labs I knew belonged to young guys working construction type jobs that kept them away from home for 10 or 12 hours a day. Our dog can handle being in a crate for eight hours ONLY once in a very rare while. She does best when she has a ball or frisbee thrown for her three times a day. After learning more about the breed and learning what works for our dog, I really have come to prefer the lab  over the golden retriever I had prior to our current dog.  She has fewer skin issues, no ear infections, and the grooming is much easier. She also smells good most of the time. She never met water she didn't like though, and gets wet whenever she can, including climbing into the ducks' dirty swimming pool. The only time she smells is when she's been wet. We've only needed to bathe her maybe three times in two years. 

We have a three year old lab. We still call her a puppy. Someone else noted, they have a long puppyhood. But they are so sweet, cute, funny, lovey....it makes up for her quirks...chewing, stealing our slippers, always grazing for food. We love our lab. But we love our other dogs too.

The dog I had when I was a kid was a black lab/German shorthair mix.  He was a great dog.  Very playful, friendly, tolerant of kids.  Not overly bright, and he'd get too excited and run you over, but a lovely dog overall.  He was huge, with long, long legs, and man, could that dog run.  If he got off his rope in the yard, no one could catch him until he was good and ready to come home.  He loved chasing cars, too.  And his tail was like a whip.  But I'd have a dog like him again in a heartbeat.

We have a lab mix (labradoodle.)  While he has a large poodle-like body, everyone who meets him notices that his personality is all-lab, all the time!  We got him at 18 months.  We were fortunate that he was already house broken and did not jump on people.  Our early challenges were chewing, counter-surfing, and pulling on the leash.  I have recurrent tendonitis in my elbow due to his sudden pulling (SQUIRREL!)  Labs tend to be very food motivated so that makes training much easier. 

What helped us manage ...

1. Exercise - not just physical exercise, but mental as well.  I take him for a long walk early in the morning - about an hour.  He usually gets 2 more walks each day, plus some play time and training reinforcement.  He loves to play fetch (since we don't have a fenced yard, we put a 20 ft training lead on him - unattached - so we have a sporting chance of catching him if he were to bolt after a squirrel.)  He also loves to play hide and seek in the house. 
  2. Obedience classes.  We took him to classes at a center that focuses on positive reinforcement.  Not only did we as owners learn so much, the socialization with other dogs was very helpful.  We learned to encourage substitute behaviors when he was getting into trouble.  We repeated a class, not because our dog wasn't getting it, but he benefited from the mental stimulation.  But, we are still working on recall - he comes if he knows we have a treat or his favorite ball, but less so if we are empty-handed.  Fortunately, squirrels typically only go to the next tree.  Coyotes are another story. 
  3. Easy-Walk harness.  This has been a life-saver.  If it is fitted properly, it can humanely help control a dog who likes to pull.  My dog doesn't need it so much anymore, but, if he starts acting up on leash, I make him wear it.  He puts his head down and gives me the eye because he knows he is in the doghouse if he has to wear it.  I also make him wear it if it is icy out (and I also wear Yaktrax.) 
  4. High quality food in the right proportions.  High quality food cuts down on smell and vet visits.  Our dog gets very itchy and smelly if he is on lesser quality food.  Also, many labs tend to have allergies, so figuring them out and feeding the dog appropriately is essential.  Bear has fewer ear infections on more expensive food.  Keeping the dog at an appropriate weight keeps health problems at bay.  Oh, and for more mental stimulation, we put his food (dry mixed with a little wet) into a kong to make him have to work hard to get his food.  Labs are known for inhaling their food. 
  5. Quality chew toys.  Our wonderchewer could bite through most toys.  Really thick rubber toys seem to work best for him (like Kong products.)   Since many labs swallow their food whole, rawhides can be problematic - if they swallow pieces, they don't digest and can cause blockages.  Bully sticks are a good alternative for that chew drive, but they are more expensive (and can be smellier.)  We buy them in bulk from BestBullySticks.com.  So much cheaper than the pet store. We also confine him when he has his bully stick to keep the smell down in other areas of the house. 
  6. Don't bother with an expensive dog bed until you know he won't chew it.  Our dog has shredded several dog beds.  Now, we just use old comforters as his bed.  He has an obsession with fluff.  If he gets a stuffed toy, he will disembowel it within seconds.  When he is done, he lays in the fluff like a drunk on a bender. 
  7. Cardboard boxes.  Our dog loves cardboard. Before they go into the recyclables, we hide treats in the box and give it to him to tear apart.  Yes, it makes a mess, but it is easily picked up and keeps him busy for a little bit. 
  8. Mostly empty peanut-butter jars (plastic.)  This is something we see used at the shelter. We give him a mostly empty peanut butter jar to have him attempt to lick it clean.  It keeps him busy for a while and tires him out.  But, we need to supervise him and take it away if he bites pieces off to get to the bottom of it.  Obviously, this doesn't work in households with nut allergies. 
  9. Baby gates.  I found a few on craigs list for cheap.  We had a sturdy walk-through gate to keep him from going upstairs as we did not want the dog in the bedrooms.  We also use them to keep him in certain areas of the house when we have company or other situations.  Our dog hates the noise that gates make when they fall so he gives them a wide berth.  This means we can prop them up against the cabinets to keep him off the counters.  I've chased him through the house many a time to retrieve a freshly-baked loaf of bread he had stolen. 
  10. Crates.  Make the crate a happy place - a haven.  We give treats when he is in his crate.  We never do unpleasant things to him when he is in his crate.  (If we want to give him a bath, we close his crate door so he can't hide in there.)  He is now reliable enough that we don't have to crate him when we leave (provided we don't have garbage or food out.) so it is just his happy place and sleeping place. 

One difficulty that was mentioned before is what to do with him when we travel.  We have cultivated a few people who can potty and feed him and give him some play time when we are gone just for the day.  But, we really can't leave him alone overnight.  He goes crazy at a kennel so we have to leave him with a family or take him with.  We do have a couple of people who are willing to add him to their menagerie but I have to make arrangements well in advance.  Fortunately, he is a good traveler so we have been able to take him with us when visiting family (and staying at their house.)

Ellen, thanks so much for typing out that long list of info! I really appreciate it.

We have a lab mix (labradoodle.)  While he has a large poodle-like body, everyone who meets him notices that his personality is all-lab, all the time!  We got him at 18 months.  We were fortunate that he was already house broken and did not jump on people.  Our early challenges were chewing, counter-surfing, and pulling on the leash.  I have recurrent tendonitis in my elbow due to his sudden pulling (SQUIRREL!)  Labs tend to be very food motivated so that makes training much easier. 

What helped us manage ...

1. Exercise - not just physical exercise, but mental as well.  I take him for a long walk early in the morning - about an hour.  He usually gets 2 more walks each day, plus some play time and training reinforcement.  He loves to play fetch (since we We repeated a class, not because our dog wasn't getting it, but he benefited from the mental stimulation.  But, we are still  at 

Labs are great dogs once they reach about 2 1/2. German short hair pointers on the other hand seem to have a never ending puppyhood. Both smart dogs, and relatively easy to train. Both seem to be pretty loyal. Brush LOTS. They might have short hair, but they shed like crazy especially in spring. I LOVED our lab growing up. Good training and good food can really make the dog a better dog all around.

They really need exercise and play. Not just free play, although that will take care of a lot of their energy needs, they need some interactive play as well. Play where you actually require something of them and make them work for the fun. Some of them really do mellow out as they get older.

I suggest crates for most breeds, but I have found that for most labs and retrievers that once they have finally matured they do just as well with a nice bed in the corner. Until then though, the crate will make for a safe, happy space for the dog and keep your house from being destroyed or the dog from reinforcing bad habits when you can't watch.

NO RAWHIDE. That is a for sure for 99% of dogs, but especially for these mouthy, chewy, and yet exuberant ones. They can swallow bit pieces that swell in their throats. Good quality rubber toys, bully sticks (a favorite with our dogs), and of course LOTS of balls are great alternatives.

Some day, years down the road when our Great Dane is old, we'll get another Lab or Retriever. I miss having one of them around. In my mind, they are more than worth the effort through the puppy years and make for amazing additions to the family. (I do love our Dane, but her size and energy get tiring)

Wonderful pets once they reach about 3 years old. They will chew everything till about 1.5 years including their own leashes, beds, stuffies as well as table legs, chairs, magazines, plastic water bottles...you get the picture. They are very loving though and since they are so food-motivated training is generally straightforward. Not sure I'd take on a puppy again.

Amen.  Until our labs were about two, I daily wanted to strangle them. :)  Our motto was "a tired lab is a good lab". 

That said, we currently have a 10 yr old lab that is as loyal as the day is long.  We had his sister originally, and she passed from cancer at 3 1/2.  Both dogs were amazing with the kids....patient as could be, and loved their family.  They both wanted to nothing but please us, and with consistent training, turned out to be well mannered.  

I will warn you about "black dog syndrome" though.  Be prepared to have people be scared of it.  There is a preconceived notion that darker dogs means scarier dogs.  Dakota's sister was brown, and people would forever ask if they could pet her when they would see her.  Dakota is more likely to lick you before he would bite, but people are so scared of him.  He is under voice control and has never left our yard, so he is very trustworthy offleash.  Still, I have had people have a fit and threaten to call animal control when they see him unleashed in my yard...sitting nicely next to my knee. Poor guy just wants someone to notice him, and they act like he is ferocious.

Our motto was "a tired lab is a good lab". 

Yep, up until about six months ago our 3 year old got two hour + runs a day. Now he's down to one plus a shortie though he'd likely be thrilled to be back to two long ones. Always up for adventure, fun, misadventure, walks, runs, food, food and more food and love :D

A pp mentioned the fur and ugh! during shedding season, which happens twice a year for our guy, there are fur planets in every room every day no matter that the room was expunged of the aliens less than twelve hours earlier.

We adopted a black lab last year from a shelter. She had just had puppies and had the saddest eyes ever. She is a great dog. The shelter said she was about two years old, but our vet pegged her at about four. She is terrified of rain and will not go outside if it is raining at all. She hides in our closet during full-blown storms and shakes until the storm passes. Dh brought home a puppy a couple months after we adopted the lab. She has been so good with that little dog from day one. She treats him like her baby and puts him in his place regularly. It was only after we got the puppy that the lab began to settle in to our family. Her eyes are peaceful now rather than sad and tormented.

She has put on a few pounds, but is not very active at this point. We run her around like crazy on nice days, but she won't budge if the weather isn't up to her standards. She has no chewing issues. She does smell rather doggy after playing outside, but I attribute that to playing around our pond and chasing sheep.

She did chase and kill one of our chickens shortly after we brought her home, but I talked with her and told her that was not acceptable behavior. She has never touched another chicken since then. She is very sensitive to people's feelings. She does not like loud noise or yelling (hard to avoid with five kiddos), so she makes herself scarce if it gets too noisy.

We all love our lab!

If you haven't had a shedding dog, the hair is really something to consider. Labs shed A LOT. At least ours does. It does vary by the seasons, but if you aren't used to shedding, it might drive you crazy.

We have a cat with rather long hair, so I'm used to fur balls. I just clean them up and move on. It doesn't bother me a ton.

Yep, up until about six months ago our 3 year old got two hour + runs a day. Now he's down to one plus a shortie though he'd likely be thrilled to be back to two long ones. Always up for adventure, fun, misadventure, walks, runs, food, food and more food and love :D

A pp mentioned the fur and ugh! during shedding season, which happens twice a year for our guy, there are fur planets in every room every day no matter that the room was expunged of the aliens less than twelve hours earlier.

Lol, fur planets.

Dh brought home a puppy a couple months after we adopted the lab. She has been so good with that little dog from day one. She treats him like her baby and puts him in his place regularly. It was only after we got the puppy that the lab began to settle in to our family.

<snip>

She did chase and kill one of our chickens shortly after we brought her home, but I talked with her and told her that was not acceptable behavior. She has never touched another chicken since then. She is very sensitive to people's feelings.

Awww, *I* love your dog just from your description of her!

We had a black lab mix when we first got married, lab/rottweiler mix. She was wonderful.  We also worked under the motto that a tired lab is a good lab.  We just made sure she had a basket full of things she was allowed to chew and lots and lots of balls.  When we were just too tired to walk her we'd take her to swim.  She could swim/fetch the ball for hours in any weather.  Playing fetch was also our friend.  When she was young and we both had to work long, long days we'd put her in doggie daycare for the day and that helped too.  We went to obedience classes, took several times to get to where she was a wonderful dog but by 3 she behaved beautifully. She loved everybody and assumed that everybody loved her.  Biggest downside was the shedding, that got old but loved that dog.   Worth the hard work to get through the puppy stage.  It's true that being a big black dog people were often afraid of her, which I found funny since I 'm sure if anyone had tried to break in she would have just licked them to death.

My mother in law currently has a 13 yr old lab that is still going strong and is a lovely dog.

I had a black lab mix, and she was the sweetest, most energetic dog I ever had. I had one when DS20 was about 4-5 years old, and we spent a lot of time in the back yard so he and the dog could play outside. I spent hours and hours throwing the ball for her, and if I didn't have one, she would find one for me to throw. :) Our back yard had a big hill, so DS would get a big piece of cardboard and slide down the hill; the dog would ride down the hill on the cardboard with him.

She also liked to dig really big, deep holes in the yard; I'd go out there, and the dirt would be flying. If I weren't so mad, it would have been comical. :)

My advice is if you have plenty of time and energy to exercise these dogs, then they are just the best companions in the world.

Oh, almost forgot; her very favourite thing to do in the whole world was to go to a lake or river and throw/retrieve the ball. We could spend half a day letting her swim for the ball, and she would still want more. :)

We have a cat with rather long hair, so I'm used to fur balls. I just clean them up and move on. It doesn't bother me a ton.

:D :D :D

Yeah.....

We got ours about a year ago. LOVE him. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE him. He is an awesome dog. I have a bit of a different scenario than most, in that ours was trained as a service dog for the first year of his life, so he's really well behaved. (He has a heart murmur and that is why he wasn't put into a guide dog program.) We knew him when he was a puppy, and he was a handful. He ate my friend's wall. Yes, made a hole and chewed the drywall. :001_huh: He also ate our church's carpet and peed in Walmart. (Remember, he was being trained as a service dog.) But, by the time we got him, at about a year and a half, he had outgrown most of that. We try and get him out running in our backyard everyday, which is tough because we are re-landscaping the yard right now. He loves being around us, he loves attention. I just can't say enough good things about him. If you are willing to put in the time to train and love on yours, I think you will love it, too.

ETA: The first few weeks we brought ours home, he did try and eat everything, I forgot about that. I had to remove all couch pillows, rugs, etc. and no one was allowed to leave shoes, purses, or anything around. He has *mostly* outgrown that, but still will swipe a toy, if he can. We were also able to train him to stay off carpet areas (bedrooms) which is nice.

Oh, and addressing the cat issue - our first pet was a cat. When the puppy came along, she was not happy. She doesn't care for him. We ended up getting another kitten in December (which the older cat also doesn't like), and now the kitten and the puppy are best friends and they ignore the older cat. The cat definitely did not like the dog, though, and the dog just wanted to play with her, even after she drew blood from his nose with a swipe.

Labs, black or other colors:

They will chew. They will run off. When you try to bring them home they will enjoy the game of chase. They will get into all kinds of stuff, including potentially dangerous-to-dogs kind of stuff. They are like overgrown kids who don't know where their body ends and the world begins. They can hurt you with their big paws while trying to love you and be friendly.They are puppies longer than most dogs. As someone else mentioned, this often lasts about 3 years. And once that's over...

They are loyal. They are smart. They are loving. They are fun. They are good with kids. They are among the best breeds for a family to own. If you can deal with the extended puppy-hood (and it seems you have about a year and a half to go), you will not be sorry you have a Lab.

I am a HUGE dog lover, but I would never ever own a lab for all the reasons others have already listed. They are like giant toddlers for at least half of their lives. I've been around many different ones since I was a child and they've all been the same.

I don't have time to read everyone's responses, but will give you my experience. I agree labs are puppies for a long time and require consistency. However, they are,very loving and loyal. My older kids lost interest in our lab in his last few years and he continued to love them anyway. He had his problems, mostly due to poor breeding, but I miss him a bunch. I do have a pic of him tearing up a stuffed animal last summer; he was 12. BUT he had permission to play with it and would not have done so otherwise. He liked to sleep with stuffies as well.

I forgot. Once my friend asked why our house never smelled "doggy". I think it was because we vacuumed every day and rarely washed him. Labs have a water resistant coat that has oil to repel water. They need to be brushed to be cleaned. When we did give him a bath he stunk like crazy. We are fortunate because he never rolled in anything like some do.

Labs generally do not outgrow the puppy stage by 2.  Many are chewers throughout their lives though it generally slows down the older they get.  

We had one, she was an absolutely wonderful dog.  She was also a little neurotic and a lot of work (as many, many dogs are).  Adding a dog to your family is sort of like adding a toddler that you can lock in a crate for short periods.  

You've all given me a lot to consider. About the prolonged puppyhood that some never completely outgrow...well I actually miss my kids' toddlerhood! I am thinking about having Rory come over for a visit after we get our fence put up, to see how he does here and how he gets along with the cats. After that maybe we could try a doggie sleepover. :-)

He had an "interview" at another friend's house who has young children and a pit bull. The two dogs smelled each other out and seemed to be doing fine running around the back yard until the pit bull owner petted Rory, the black lab. Then the put bull tried to kill him. Aaaaahhhh. Not good.

I really do appreciate reading about all your experiences and advice. Thanks so much.

Here's a funny story about extended puppyhood.

My lab was being his usual dork self, jumping around, throwing frisbee in the air, going into "play position" while I was talking to the new mailman. He asked how old the dog was.

I replied, "Seven."

He said something like, "7 months? You've got another year, year and a half of puppyhood!"

I said, "no, he's SEVEN YEARS!" :lol:

Oh, I loved that dog. He was the dog of my heart.

Here's a funny story about extended puppyhood.

My lab was being his usual dork self, jumping around, throwing frisbee in the air, going into "play position" while I was talking to the new mailman. He asked how old the dog was.

I replied, "Seven."

He said something like, "7 months? You've got another year, year and a half of puppyhood!"

I said, "no, he's SEVEN YEARS!" :lol:

Oh, I loved that dog. He was the dog of my heart.

:smilielol5:

Love this story and your apt use of the descriptive 'dork self'. That he was the 'dog of your heart' makes it all the sweeter.