Menu

Tried a good, NEW recipe lately?

I try to cook from a new recipe once every week or two; most of them are ok but don't make it to the "keepers" binder.  But I tried one this week that was GREAT!  

Ina Garten's Salmon Cakes   - I modified by using leftover salmon filet instead of cooking it just for the recipe, and I used gluten free cracker crumbs instead of homemade bread crumbs.  This made the recipe easy enough for a weekday, but I doubt it took away much of the yummy factor!  This is a skinnier version of the recipe that bakes instead of pan fries.  I will probably keep the original recipe but try the baking method next so I don't have to cook in batches. 

Your turn!  Do you have a NEW recipe that you've tried recently and loved? 

I feel like I should qualify it that we have general "theme" nights for weekly meal planning and Monday, because I couldn't come up with another cuisine, is "Retro Night" - all those odd meals from our 1970s childhoods. Anyway...

Last week we had baked chicken croquettes. I made gf modifications, left out the parmesan in the mixture and forgot to drizzle them with butter before baking off, and they were delicious! Bonus: I upsized the recipe, so we have another batch in the freezer.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/ovenfriedchickenrecipes/r/bl30222f.htm

I feel like I should qualify it that we have general "theme" nights for weekly meal planning and Monday, because I couldn't come up with another cuisine, is "Retro Night" - all those odd meals from our 1970s childhoods. Anyway...

Last week we had baked chicken croquettes. I made gf modifications, left out the parmesan in the mixture and forgot to drizzle them with butter before baking off, and they were delicious! Bonus: I upsized the recipe, so we have another batch in the freezer.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/ovenfriedchickenrecipes/r/bl30222f.htm

If you find a great Seafood Newberg recipe please pass it on.

To the OP: Since you like Ina's salmon recipe, maybe you'd want to try her curry chicken salad? It's great . . . even if you neglect to add the splash of wine.

I'm addicted to Clean Eating Magazine and their books.  Our biggest recent hits have been Seafood Corn Chowder http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/3151664-Seafood-Corn-Chowder and Creamy Shrimp Rigatoni http://www.myrecipebook.com/recipes/TRobinson/236 .

That seafood corn chowder is going on the list!  That looks soooo good! 

I just made something new last night actually: Almond Curry Chicken. It was great--easier than a real curry, but with just enough curry flavor to please me and not so much that it turned my kids off :lol: I served it over quinoa, and it was delicious.

If you're looking for inspiration, this is one of our favorites, and one of the few reasons I'll allow myself to have potatoes these days! I cut back on the shrimp and potatoes and go heavier on the carrots. We double it and it makes a hearty lunch for all of us the next day too.

Rustic Shrimp Stew

If you find a great Seafood Newberg recipe please pass it on.

To the OP: Since you like Ina's salmon recipe, maybe you'd want to try her curry chicken salad? It's great . . . even if you neglect to add the splash of wine.

I have a chicken salad recipe very similar to this, that uses fresh mango instead of raisins.  Yummmmm.

Made something new today. Not sure where I got the idea. I think I remember seeing a picture of it somewhere. Anyways, I laid out a round of pate feuille, covered it in slices of Gouda, piled on lightly roasted peppers, tomatoes, zuchinnies, and eggplant, topped it with another layer of cheese and another pate feuille, joined the edges and baked until the dough was cooked. Cut into wedges and served with a marinara dipping sauce. It was awesome and the kids loved it.

I made this tilapia with coconut curry sauce last week and it was an instant hit. I can see this becoming a family favorite. We had it with jasmine rice and steamed broccoli. (I used six fillets, and there was still plenty of sauce. Also, I left out the curry powder in favor of extra curry paste.)

But wait . . . I thought we were all swearing off tilapia. I don remember the details, but I think it's on the Bad Fish list now.

But wait . . . I thought we were all swearing off tilapia. I don remember the details, but I think it's on the Bad Fish list now.

Sigh. Well, I haven't heard.

Here's another one. I've made this two or three times using Al Fresco Natural Chicken Sausages. It's a great recipe for us because we usually keep these ingredients on hand and can have it for an easy dinner any time --

Oven Roasted Sausages Peppers and Potatoes

If this is bad too, don't tell me because I don't want to know. :lol:

Tilapia contains very little omega 3s. It's fatty acid profile is extremely low compared to other fish and it's pretty much all farmed with some exceptions. The farmed diet consists of soy and corn pellets which is essentially what you'll be getting when you eat tilapia. OTOH it's very mild tasting and lends itself to many flavors and is high in protein.

Dh and I have been making a lot of braised beef while it's still cold. I usually serve it with noodles and a green vegetable (green beans, peas, steamed broccoli...like that). Neither of us was familiar with the oven or stove-top version of braising so we've been making it @ once a week for the last 4 or 5 weeks. Nice and hearty and good practice for making sauces. 

DH will buy a beef roast, usually one of the tougher cuts from one of the legs or rump. You salt and pepper the roast, then brown it all over in a few Tbl of oil (I like to use a high-sided cast iron skillet but a dutch oven works well). Remove. Cook some garlic and/or onion until opaque/done if you like that. Scrape up the bottom. Add some chicken or beef stock. Add some wine if you like. Cook on medium a bit to get all the flavors together. Put the roast back in. Make sure there is enough liquid to go at least half way up the roast (I think the more the better as long as it isn't covered with liquid). Put a piece of aluminum foil between the pan and the lid, unless you have a super well-fitting lid (personally I just like to make sure because it's no fun to run out of liquid and end up with weird black sludge on the bottom). Put it in the oven @ 200-300 degrees or on the stove on very low. Do not check it that often. Steam (liquid) escaping is bad. You want it all to stay in there marinating the beef. 

2 or more hours later (depends on the temperature), check it. If its tender enough (separates into beautiful melting strings of meat) take it off heat. Take the meat out. Start the rice or noodles boiling. Have vegetables ready to steam. Separate meat into strings. Cover and hold. Make the liquid into gravy. If the lid was tight you should have a lot of rich liquid. Taste it. Add a bit of broth or wine ( instead of wine, a tiny bit of red wine or other good vinegar also works to give the sauce a bit of depth). Put stove on medium-high and meld flavors. Scrape bottom. If you want a lot of gravy (most families do) use a bit of corn starch, potato starch, or flour to thicken (for a smaller but richer gravy just boil it down until it thickens a bit). Steam vegetables. Keep tasting. Add beef, salt and pepper or other spices near the end when it tastes right to you.  

Pour beef and gravy or noodles or rice. Place vegetables around the edge of the bowl. Enjoy. 

It's always a good dish. Sometimes a great dish. I've really learned a lot from making it almost every week.  ;)  

I have made this several times recently, and it is delicious! Tuscan Chicken Stew http://www.southyourmouth.com/2012/11/tuscan-chicken-stew.html.

This one is also a fairly new favorite, known as Hobbit Chicken at my house. (It has nothing to do with hobbits, but we had it one night when we watched The Hobbit on DVD, so it became, "I should make that chicken dish, the one we ate when we watched The Hobbit, again," and the kids call it Hobbit Chicken.) It works either in a slow cooker (er, dutch oven in the oven) or as a skillet meal. http://picky-palate.com/2012/09/20/pesto-ranch-crock-pot-chicken-thighs/

I had the Pioneer Woman's second cookbook out from the library and we found two recipes that made it into our regular repertoire: beef and bean burritos and restaurant style salsa. Pretty basic, but good stuff.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/07/brown-hot-and-plenty-of-it-vol-i/

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/01/restaurant-style-salsa/

This one is also a fairly new favorite, known as Hobbit Chicken at my house. (It has nothing to do with hobbits, but we had it one night when we watched The Hobbit on DVD, so it became, "I should make that chicken dish, the one we ate when we watched The Hobbit, again," and the kids call it Hobbit Chicken.) It works either in a slow cooker (er, dutch oven in the oven) or as a skillet meal. http://picky-palate.com/2012/09/20/pesto-ranch-crock-pot-chicken-thighs/

This does sound good (as did your other recipe).  Can you tell me how long you put it in the oven and at what temperature, please?

Regards,

Kareni

I have never been able to make a good stir-fry, which seems pretty basic to me.  I found this last week and love it!   I think the key is the hoisin sauce; I used Lee Kum Kee brand.  Love Chicken and Broccoli!  (I added matchstick carrots and bok choy)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/chicken-and-broccoli-stir-fry-recipe.html

*I just noticed it's from a show called How to Boil Water, which tells you that this is probably basic knowledge to most cooks!  Ha! I just could not ever get my sauces quite right.  It never tasted even close to Chinese takeout nor would it coat everything without my needing to triple the sauce!  LOL  Btw, I did not use sherry in this, but did everything else exactly.

I made this for a potluck recently and it was awesome. It wasn't as spicy as I thought it would be. I removed all the seeds and white insides of all the jalapeños. I will definitely be making this soup again.

http://www.cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com/jalapeno-popper-chicken-chili-soup-with-bacon/#U8ZokvoUZbsjJuGf.32

This sounds great!  I think I will use a can of Rotel to get both the tomatoes and chilies at once.  Reminds me of the chicken tortilla soup we had this week!  I like the sound of cream cheese in it...mmmmm

I tried this sweet and sour chicken recipe and it was delicious. The leftovers reheated nicely too. I think I'd cut the vinegar back a bit next time:

http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2008/07/sweet-and-sour-chicken-updated.html

We make this all the time and it's fantastic!  We cut the sugar in half.  We also add a bit of sesame oil, and a handful of sesame seeds to the pan when baking for sesame chicken. 

I took the sauce mix, and poured it over  cut up pork before putting it in the freezer, then last week, I dumped that in the crockpot and cooked it on low all day.  My family loved it! I just served it over noodles and vegetables w/ a little soy sauce, and a pinch of sesame oil.

Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana Soup

Olive+Garden+Zuppa+Toscana+Soup.jpg

Source: Hillbilly Recipes (FB page)

1 pound spicy Italian sausage

1/2 pound bacon, chopped

7 cups water

3 chicken flavored bouillon cubes

2 large russet potatoes, scrubbed clean and cubed

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1 medium onion, chopped

2 cups chopped kale

1 cup heavy whipping cream

salt and pepper, to taste

Directions

In a dutch oven or large soup pot over medium-high heat, brown sausage, breaking into small pieces as you fry it; drain, set aside.

In the same dutch oven or large soup pot over medium-high heat, brown bacon; remove and set aside. Leave two tablespoons of rendered bacon fat in the skillet.

Saute the potatoes, onion, and garlic in the rendered bacon fat over medium or low-medium heat. Saute until the onion begins to be translucent and the potatoes have are still a little firm, but are beginning to soften.

Add the sausage, bacon, 7 cups water, and 3 chicken bouillon cubes to the pot. Simmer until the potatoes are tender.

When potatoes are fork tender, stir in kale and cream.  Simmer 5 minutes more.

We have been loving this!  I made it w/ chicken the other day, instead of sausage, and just threw in a bit of Italian seasonings, and it was a hit too!

I tried this sweet and sour chicken recipe and it was delicious. The leftovers reheated nicely too. I think I'd cut the vinegar back a bit next time:

http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2008/07/sweet-and-sour-chicken-updated.html

I have a very similar sauce recipe, but I do it all on the stove top.  I just thicken the sauce in a separate small sauce pan while cooking the chicken through during the browning process.  My two tricks to making WOW sweet and sour chicken are to use a FRESH pineapple to add to the chicken chunks once they are cooked, and... use skinless boneless chicken thighs instead of breasts... it really makes a huge difference in terms of tenderness of the meat. 

Yum yum yum.

This does sound good (as did your other recipe). Can you tell me how long you put it in the oven and at what temperature, please?

Regards,

Kareni

Uh, it kind of varies. 350* for an hour or two, sometimes; sometimes 250* for several hours. It's better if it's slow-cooked, but it'll work to do it faster too. It depends on whether the chicken is frozen or not and on how quickly I'm moving in the morning, whether I get it ready in time to slow-cook it or not. I prefer to cut the chicken breasts (I usually use those instead of thighs) in half.

Sorry I am not much help there. :) (I also usually use homemade pesto and homemade ranch seasoning.)

I'm on a quest for the perfect whole wheat bread (as my previous recipe makes loaves that are, as my husband charitably phrased it, "sturdy"), and this one is my current frontrunner. 

Do you start timing the cooking as soon as you cut the oven on or after it preheats with the bread in it?

this.... a thousand times this..... many, many times tastier than any alfredo sauce i have ever, ever had....

here's one thing you can do with it: (and it includes the sauce recipe.

http://pinchofyum.com/veggie-alfredo-lasagna

but unbelievably, the three ingredients are garlic, olive oil and cauliflower.  the recipe calls for us to use the water the cauliflower was cooked in, but if you just add 1/4 cup of fresh hot water, then there is absolutely no cauliflower taste at all.  i read all the rave reviews, and doubted.  i doubt no more ;)

ann

Rice Pilau - http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/fragrantpilaurice_67870

Dh and I took an Indian cooking classes through the adult community ed program. The pilau plus the curry that the chef instructor made was wonderful. We got to take leftovers home and dh took some to work the next day. His coworker told him he should be careful not to leave his dinner unattended and dh to,d him it was a good way to lose a limb - it was *that* good.

The recipe at the link is close spices wise, but ours also had golden raisins, cilantro, toasted almonds, and caramelized onions on top.

Do you start timing the cooking as soon as you cut the oven on or after it preheats with the bread in it?

After a bit of trial and error, I settled on starting timing once the oven reaches 350. And even then I bake for 40 minutes (rather than the 30 the recipe calls for).

I can't even begin to describe how much I need this thread right now.  I've been trying a bunch of new recipes I've collected from various internet locations and of the last six I tried ... meh.  No keepers in any of them.  I'm happy to have some tried and true recipes from friends to try out now.  

this.... a thousand times this..... many, many times tastier than any alfredo sauce i have ever, ever had....

here's one thing you can do with it: (and it includes the sauce recipe.

http://pinchofyum.com/veggie-alfredo-lasagna

but unbelievably, the three ingredients are garlic, olive oil and cauliflower.  the recipe calls for us to use the water the cauliflower was cooked in, but if you just add 1/4 cup of fresh hot water, then there is absolutely no cauliflower taste at all.  i read all the rave reviews, and doubted.  i doubt no more ;)

ann

Ok, I have to admit that every time I see cauliflower snuck into a recipe in place of something like alfredo, my face goes a little like this: :blink:

But I keep hearing about it and hearing about it.... so I guess I should just try it sometime! 

Someone here posted a recipe for eggins recently and we love them. They are mini omelets made in a muffin pan. I dont remember the link, but I just chop up ham or whatever cold cuts are in the fridge and put a bit into the bottom of each cup then some chopped cheddar then pour on some egg mixed with a bit of water and bake 20 mins in a 400 degree oven. Serve with sri racha sauce (sorry if I misspelled that).

So much quicker than making individual omelets for the whole family.