Menu

treadmill for kids......something about this rubs me the wrong way....

SweetMissMagnolia

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Redmon-for-kids-fun-and-fitness-Treadmill/20847327

I am looking around to get base prices of treadmills and looking at exercise bikes to see if I want to keep/sale/trade my bike for a treadmill-we are caretakers of dh's dad and it's just sooo hard for me to leave the house even for a short walk lately so I thought I would put either a treadmill or a treadmill and my exercise bike on the porch and get some exercise that way :hurray: .....but I could NOT believe it when I saw that treadmill for kids :glare: ....on one had I think getting any kid to exercise is good but  when I saw it included a calorie burned counter that just bothered me....I can understand if mom has one and kid wants to be like mom and walk on a safe treadmill I get that.....but then on the other hand this just bugs me--pushing calories burned onto kids....exercise is one thing and for kids exercise should be playing and fun and doing kid things.......GRRRRR....OK end of my rant for today...... :glare:

**ok just saw more on amazon--they have an exercise bike,weight bench,and "air walker" thing.......

I know lots of people who are looking for treadmills and other child size exercise equipment for their kids so they can do physical therapy at home. It is difficult to rig up adult ones to make it safe for a child. It's so much easier and cheaper to do therapy at home and really, when all they do at the treatment facility is put the kid on a treadmill and do some leg pushes, for most of the time, there's no reason to have to go to PT 5 days a week. I think there are legitimate reasons for this and many parents who buy it may have a small child who is not overweight at all but very frail and needing to gain muscle- even at 3-5. It's an extremely important part of some PT plans, and especially for kids post-op for different reasons. I just wish it came with a low speed motor- maybe 1-3mph.

My kids' preschool had some of those products.

I could see the point if you had a child who needed to burn off some steam but letting her outside was not always an option.

I could also see some kids being delighted to use this alongside mom when mom is on the big treadmill.

I know lots of people who are looking for treadmills and other child size exercise equipment for their kids so they can do physical therapy at home. It is difficult to rig up adult ones to make it safe for a child. It's so much easier and cheaper to do therapy at home and really, when all they do at the treatment facility is put the kid on a treadmill and do some leg pushes, for most of the time, there's no reason to have to go to PT 5 days a week. I think there are legitimate reasons for this and many parents who buy it may have a small child who is not overweight at all but very frail and needing to gain muscle- even at 3-5. It's an extremely important part of some PT plans, and especially for kids post-op for different reasons. I just wish it came with a low speed motor- maybe 1-3mph.

Despite my somewhat irreverent comment above, I do understand that there are those who could really benefit for lots of reasons. My kiddo is perfectly able-bodied, but I am in a wheelchair and just can't keep up with her constant need to just GO. Hubby and I have semi-joked about a preschool sized hamster wheel, and we have turned our garage and backyard into a Rockwall, gymnasium, ballet/gymnastics studio with playground and pool. All because it isn't always possible to take her to places out of the house.

I can definitely see the allure and even necessity of therapy at home!

I was thinking just the other day, wondering how moms in this northern climate keep their kids reasonably active indoors.

My kids have a mini tramp in front of the TV, a kid-sized pingpong table, scooters and jump ropes that they use indoors, a big punching bag, and probably some other stuff.  And we play chase some evenings.  It seems helpful.

ETA:  And my kids play on the grown-up elliptical and treadmill.  I know, bad mom...

I hate exercising inside - it seems sort of soul killing to me.  I mean, I sort of hate exercise in general,, but unless it is pouring rain, I feel like being outside has it's own great merits - the fresh air, the sunlight - and that if I have to exercise, I want to at least enjoy those things, greet neighbors, walk the dog, and enjoy what is beautiful around me. 

But apparently a lot of adults really like to just jump on a machine and get their exercise done, and I guess that's ok - whatever works.  I am curious, though, why is seems wrong for children but ok for adults.  Shouldn't adults also find activities that are fun, that feel playful, that get them outside?  Why is it okay for adults to listen to music/watch tv while they exercise, but not ok for children.  Don't adults also need to grow, explore, see the sky and the clouds and the trees? 

I let my kids play on our elliptical.  They have fallen off.  LOL 

I started off telling them no, but I guess it was just too irresistible.  Now I don't say anything.  They are much better at not falling off.

The only exercise Miss E willingly does is the kind she knows she shouldn't do.  She knows the adult equipment is supposed to be off limits, therefore she is enthusiastic about using them.  :P  She does OK, and if she did fall, it wouldn't be far...

I've considered one for DS. He LOVES to run, and it rains all the time here. (We don't have a basement or garage to play in. Severe thunderstorm warning/tornado watch today, and that's quite normal here.) I would rather not do the Wii Fit as he gets a lot of screen time already.

I hate exercising inside - it seems sort of soul killing to me. I mean, I sort of hate exercise in general,, but unless it is pouring rain, I feel like being outside has it's own great merits - the fresh air, the sunlight - and that if I have to exercise, I want to at least enjoy those things, greet neighbors, walk the dog, and enjoy what is beautiful around me.

But apparently a lot of adults really like to just jump on a machine and get their exercise done, and I guess that's ok - whatever works. I am curious, though, why is seems wrong for children but ok for adults. Shouldn't adults also find activities that are fun, that feel playful, that get them outside? Why is it okay for adults to listen to music/watch tv while they exercise, but not ok for children. Don't adults also need to grow, explore, see the sky and the clouds and the trees?

You must not live in a place that has winter. It's been below zero here with the windchill almost constantly for two months. It's a matter of safety. I love trees and clouds as much as the next person. I also love my fingers and toes.

I was thinking just the other day, wondering how moms in this northern climate keep their kids reasonably active indoors.

My kids have a mini tramp in front of the TV, a kid-sized pingpong table, scooters and jump ropes that they use indoors, a big punching bag, and probably some other stuff. And we play chase some evenings. It seems helpful.

ETA: And my kids play on the grown-up elliptical and treadmill. I know, bad mom...

I guess I'm a bad mom, too. :D I have always encouraged my ds to use our exercise equipment, and I think the idea of a kid-sized treadmill is pretty cool. The one at Walmart looks kind of junky, but if it works smoothly, that's all that matters. I think my ds would have loved one of those when he was little.

I don't see why indoor exercise necessarily pales in comparison with outdoor exercise.

You must not live in a place that has winter. It's been below zero here with the windchill almost constantly for two months. It's a matter of safety. I love trees and clouds as much as the next person. I also love my fingers and toes.

No, I totally get that.  I just don't understand why there is a big difference between children and adults (apart from the elderly).  If the weather is too miserable or dangerous for a 40 year old to exercise outside, I would assume that indoor exercise would also be acceptable for a kid. 

Doesn't do much for one's desire to live either.  LOL

At least I can crack a joke about it now.

I remember hobbling into work bowlegged, and bending over my computer keyboard in that position.  I could not sit for 3 days.  All because of a split second of stupidity.

I hate exercising inside - it seems sort of soul killing to me.  I mean, I sort of hate exercise in general,, but unless it is pouring rain, I feel like being outside has it's own great merits - the fresh air, the sunlight - and that if I have to exercise, I want to at least enjoy those things, greet neighbors, walk the dog, and enjoy what is beautiful around me. 

But apparently a lot of adults really like to just jump on a machine and get their exercise done, and I guess that's ok - whatever works.  I am curious, though, why is seems wrong for children but ok for adults.  Shouldn't adults also find activities that are fun, that feel playful, that get them outside?  Why is it okay for adults to listen to music/watch tv while they exercise, but not ok for children.  Don't adults also need to grow, explore, see the sky and the clouds and the trees? 

I think it's okay for both children and adults. 

Walking around the neighborhood is my favorite form of exercise, but I promise you that I'm not working nearly as hard as when I am at the gym, with the stupid speed and distance stats staring me in the face, lol. Lots of people enjoy exercise and athletics so much that they can fit it all in 'naturally,' but my natural inclination is to sit on the sofa. 

Like the meme says: if you see me running, you better start running, too, because something scary is chasing me.

I hate exercising inside - it seems sort of soul killing to me. I mean, I sort of hate exercise in general,, but unless it is pouring rain, I feel like being outside has it's own great merits - the fresh air, the sunlight - and that if I have to exercise, I want to at least enjoy those things, greet neighbors, walk the dog, and enjoy what is beautiful around me.

But apparently a lot of adults really like to just jump on a machine and get their exercise done, and I guess that's ok - whatever works. I am curious, though, why is seems wrong for children but ok for adults. Shouldn't adults also find activities that are fun, that feel playful, that get them outside? Why is it okay for adults to listen to music/watch tv while they exercise, but not ok for children. Don't adults also need to grow, explore, see the sky and the clouds and the trees?

Not everyone loves being outdoors. :)

The air quality here is nothing to write home about, I have nasty allergies, and because I have already had skin cancer once, the whole "sunshine" thing isn't nearly as appealing to me as it used to be.

I enjoy working out indoors. I don't mind walking outside if I have an actual destination, but walking for the sake of walking bores me to tears unless I have someone with me, so we can chat.

Children playing outside get their exercise without any effort.  Adults' natural activity level just isn't like that, at least not for sustained periods.

Some other reasons for doing it indoors:  you might want to wear clothes you won't wear in public; you might get too sweaty and nasty for public viewing; you might need a smooth action for your poor old knees; you might not live in a place where it's safe to walk outside; you might have a job where you don't get home until after dark; you might want to multi-task by watching the news or your favorite show while exercising.  Kids may have some but not all of these concerns.

I really wish I could get my kids to do yoga with me, indoors or outdoors.  Maybe someday.

My son uses the exercise bike at the Y. He's more interested in the speed and distance calculators than his calorie burn. Sometimes it's the best option for him. Kids who aren't interested in active play or sports might very well find their niche with indoor fitness equipment. My older son likes running, biking and yoga. He doesn't really go in for playing sports or running around with the neighbor boys. Teaching him how to stay active in ways that appeal to him is more important than anything anyone thinks about what childhood "should" look like. If the choice is read/program/play chess all day or go outside and play sports with the neighbors he will chose the former. Always. Solo options like biking and running get him interested and sometimes the Y is the best place to accomplish that (rain, short daylight, etc). He logs miles every year for the kids marathon and he bikes and he does lots of super flexible yoga stretches. He roller skates a little too. I used to wish he was more like me as a kid- outside, playing any sport I could, running around. But I realized I had to accommodate my actual kid, not push my ideal on him.

My 10 and 11yo boys run/walk on my treadmill. They asked to start using it, and it does help them burn off energy. It's been gross outside and we live in the boonies, so it's been great for them! I actually thought this post was going to be about the suggestion to use a treadmill in The Workbox System book. I know the author has her children run/walk on one every day as part of their routine.

A smaller version would be handy for kids. I just supervise and monitor their speed.

My 10 and 12 year old run a mile on the treadmill every day - an adult-sized treadmill.  I can't imagine that they would fit on a smaller one though.   However, my 5 year old would love the treadmill at the link in the OP.  She loves going on the adult one, but I need to be right next to her the whole time.  I don't think young kids will really get into calorie counting for dieting purposes unless there is some other influence telling them to do that.  My daughter likes to wear a step counter when she is running around simply because she likes to watch the numbers go up.  

I live in a big city.  Outdoor exercise isn't so full of nature around here.  I live in a winter climate as well.  There aren't too many winter sports in the city, unless you count the sliding I did from my front door to my car this morning.  You should have seen me the other day just trying to walk down the sidewalk with my daughter.  We had to figure out a way to get through several icy patches without falling.  And windchill?  Seriously big windchill factors sometimes.  My kids would get no exercise if we had to rely on going outside.

Han Solo would love that thing!  I'm not sure we'd get him off to even eat.  Today I bought him a mini trampoline (not a kiddie one, but a small exercise one), and after he got done giving it the "what is this thin in my house?" look, and I bounced on it with him, he was happy as a clam and bounced like crazy.  He needs to work off his energy, as he is a high energy kid, and since he loves to run (mostly away from me), he'd probably have a great time on this.  He'd probably really like the bike they have too.  Indy had the Fisher Price bike that hooked up to the TV, and he flat out loved it.  

In the PNW, there is rain.  A freaking lot of rain, so going out isn't much of an option.  We could, but we'd be wet and cold, and who would enjoy that?  We have an exercise bike that James Bond, Indy and I use, and are thinking of getting a new treadmill (our last one was 220v, so we had to sell it before leaving Germany), so we could put Han Solo right next to us and let him run until he was ready to drop.

Sledding, playing on snow piles, skating, skiing. 

Winter can be fun. :) :)

(So says the adult who grew up in Winterpeg, I mean Winnipeg)

Our snow piles are layered with ice. Our lake has more than 2' of snow on top of it. Our ski resort fees are very pricey.

I'm happy to survive the local roads that are only 1.5 car widths cleared and make it to the gym alive.

My 10 year old loves walking on our treadmill…while playing on the iPad.  DS2 loves to see how fast he can run.  It gets super hot here in the summer…and people tend to hibernate inside except for the early a.m. and late afternoon.  So, I like having the option of a treadmill if they want to.

I think the kid-focused ones look ridiculous to be honest.

I have debated about getting one of these for my extremely active son. In the warmer months we run a lot outside and love if.

But living in a northern climate it is not practical. I bundle the boy up and throw him out in the snow for a little bit. But with negative temperatures, and windchill in the -30s it is just not safe.

We also have no place for kids to run and play. There is the McDonald's playplace. No thank you. So we get our exercise walking the local Walmart.

Meh. Just like a play lawn mower or tool set. It's just something for the little one to 'be like a grown up'  But, I agree there are far cheaper ways to accomplish the task. 

Here in Alaska many parents go to the indoor soccer field with their kids to burn off energy in the winter. Many days it's just way to cold to walk outdoors with little ones.  Indoor equipment like this might help although I suspect it would turn into an expensive dust collector in the corner.

Uh, my kids just use the adult one.  I really don't see how walking at 1.5 miles an hour is dangerous for a almost 5 year old.

I think the idea with the kid one is that you don't have to supervise so closely, because it has additional safety features. 

Treadmills can indeed be dangerous, and more so for kids (both from true accidents and from getting distracted or fooling around). They are adult sized, so kid-size feet and hands are more likely to wind up where they shouldn't. And I know that the treadmills at my gym have the safety key you clip to your clothes, but I don't remember the one I used to own having that. 

They are like escalators: safe the vast majority of the time, but with the potential for really gruesome accidents. Kids on escalators and kids on treadmills should both be watched very closely.