Menu

Talk me down? Raccoon related. . .

Alicia64

Ugh. I talked about this in my other thread. My landlady was coming over today w/ a wildlife removal company to remove a raccoon that's living under our front porch.

The landlady is an animal lover and said that they'd used Have A Heart traps in the past. Long story short: it's illegal in our state to trap and re home raccoons. The wildlife lady said she's lose her license for doing anything like it.

So, they're trapping (they left traps) and euthanizing.

It's been snowing here and my boys and I have been having a great time following the raccoon's footprints all around the yard (he only comes out at night). We've even seen his little footprints on the second floor next my son's bedroom window. Kind of cool.

I'm so sad that because I opened my big mouth . . . this guy is going to die now.

On top of it, the landlady said that she thinks he's been living under the porch for years -- very likely when they'd been living there. So this raccoon might have been living under the porch for ten plus years.

And he hasn't bothered anybody. Ever. I'm feeling so guilty. I'm an animal lover.

I asked the landlady if we could just not trap it and she said that she'd already paid the company -- I want to just hand her money and say, "let's not do this. Let's just let him stay, He's not bothering anybody."

Without giving me the details of raccoon horror stories. . . what do you think of my idea?

Alley

The landlady needs to take care of the raccoon problem both to protect her property and her tenants.  If it is proved that she knew about the problem and did nothing about it and the raccoon then bit you or one of your kids, she would be liable for all damages and bills related to that.  She has to take all that into account, as well as doing things according to the law in your state.  

I live in the Ozarks where raccoons are just part of nature. Sometimes they eat our cat food. Occasionally, they kill a chicken or two. We just let them live and do what they do, usually not much, and nothing that is all that bothersome. We don't try to befriend them or tame them or anything of that nature, of course. Just live and let live.

Poor little guy.  I'd want to save him, too.  I don't see any harm in offering the money and seeing what your landlady says.   

ETA:  We have lots of racoons here, and they've only been a problem for us once.  We were caring for an outdoor cat and built him his own "room" in our garage.  The racoons were curious about his shelter and visited more than once, even though we never left out food at night.  We thought about having the racoons trapped and relocated (that's legal here) so they wouldn't bother our cat.  We ended up solving the problem by leaving lights on in the garage and playing audio sermons on a loop.  :)

I understand that sometimes it's necessary to kill animals, but, whenever possible, I prefer to live and let live. 

Raccoons are gross, IMHO, they are disease carriers.  He might not have rabies now, but he is living in the wild, what if he contracts it?  After having a rabies scare a few years ago over a bat, I would never want a potential carrier anywhere near my kids.  It was going to be close to $5000 to vaccinate our whole family (WITH insurance) if we hadn't caught the bat and had it tested for rabies.  I would say bye-bye raccoon.  

The raccoon needs to go. The company isn't allowed to re-home it.

BUT

Is there any reason you couldn't keep an eye on the trap and take the critter for a drive to show him off to friends before the company comes to euthanize it? He might happen to escape while you are stopping to check to see if he has enough water.

The raccoon needs to go. The company isn't allowed to re-home it.

BUT

Is there any reason you couldn't keep an eye on the trap and take the critter for a drive to show him off to friends before the company comes to euthanize it? He might happen to escape while you are stopping to check to see if he has enough water.

Well, in my state that is very illegal. As in: I can't touch the trap -- let alone transport it. I'm betting there's serious fines.

The thing that really bugs me is that the wildlife lady came yesterday and said that the raccoon wasn't under the porch. So she left her traps.

Um. . . why don't you just board up the part of the porch that had been left opened. . . where he originally got in?? So he can't get back in.

I didn't know it until she told me but apparently raccoons have two or three or more dens. So he wasn't in my house's den. Why not just board it up the way you'll do after you catch him??

What's sad to me is that we're in a suburb that wasn't here 20 years ago or so. It's a relatively new development that had been nothing but trees and wildlife prior. That's what makes me sad. We're in their world. And we just bulldoze and take over.

And we call them "pests."

Alley

So if the raccoon contracts rabies and bites your kid, you won't have to get the shots?  

Anyone bitten by a rabid raccoon would need shots.  My point was that it would be rare for such a thing to occur. 

OP, could you somehow block the raccoon's access to your porch area, after checking to make sure he isn't in there?  That seems like a humane and sensible solution, best for all involved.  I can't imagine that it would be illegal to just move the traps, if they're empty?  

You might also try to temporarily deter the raccoon from going under the porch by other means.  Bright lights, loud sounds, and some smells (like hot peppers and ammonia) can sometimes keep raccoons away.

I feel your frustration.   :grouphug:  

Part of this is the frustration of the renter.  It is a business for the landlord, as reluctant as she may be, and has to be treated as such by her.  And renting from someone takes away a lot of your own autonomy and ability to make decisions that fit your own values.  

True!  Alley, maybe the best you can do at this point is just have a frank conversation with your landlady:  "I really don't want to see the raccoon killed.  Could I repay you what you spent hiring the animal control company, and board up the porch so the raccoon doesn't come back?"  If she says no, then you've done just about all you can.   

Well, in my state that is very illegal. As in: I can't touch the trap -- let alone transport it. I'm betting there's serious fines.

The thing that really bugs me is that the wildlife lady came yesterday and said that the raccoon wasn't under the porch. So she left her traps.

Um. . . why don't you just board up the part of the porch that had been left opened. . . where he originally got in?? So he can't get back in.

I didn't know it until she told me but apparently raccoons have two or three or more dens. So he wasn't in my house's den. Why not just board it up the way you'll do after you catch him??

What's sad to me is that we're in a suburb that wasn't here 20 years ago or so. It's a relatively new development that had been nothing but trees and wildlife prior. That's what makes me sad. We're in their world. And we just bulldoze and take over.

Alley

Because chances are he will come back. If the raccoon wants in, he will probably get in. That means he will destroy something to get back into his home. (Probably just where boards have been added.) Raccoons can do major damage to homes. If the landlady does not do something about it, she could be out a lot of money. Not sure about the legal aspects, but she might even be liable for damage to your stuff as well since she knew about the potential problem and did not rectify the situation. 

I am firmly on Team Raccoon and I think you should do everything you can to save him.

If you can't cancel the appointment and the guy sets traps, can you trigger them yourself so the raccoon won't be able to get into it? Who would know that you touched the traps? It's not like there are hidden cameras anywhere.

I know some people here have raccoon horror stories, but we have had them here for years and they are both friendly and non-destructive, and it sounds like your raccoon isn't hurting anything at your house, either.

I am firmly on Team Raccoon and I think you should do everything you can to save him.

If you can't cancel the appointment and the guy sets traps, can you trigger them yourself so the raccoon won't be able to get into it? Who would know that you touched the traps? It's not like there are hidden cameras anywhere.

I know some people here have raccoon horror stories, but we have had them here for years and they are both friendly and non-destructive, and it sounds like your raccoon isn't hurting anything at your house, either.

"Team Raccoon!" :lol:

The truth is the raccoon seems to have disappeared. The traps have been empty. I'm wondering if there's been too much activity around his "home." The wildlife lady definitely nosed around down there and likely left her scent.

Alley

My husband once crawled under our front porch to get a toy and came face to face with a Momma raccoon.  Her babies were behind her and my husband came out from under that porch like a shot!  Be very careful, if you go in to see if that coon is still under that porch, only way hubby went back in was with his welding helmet on and tied down and his welding gloves on. 

Never get between and momma and her babies.

You could consider the alternative... You could let the wildlife have your home and you go live in the woods.  People need homes to live in, building responsibly, i.e.: building a modest home on a modestly-sized piece of land, is not evil, IMHO. 

I don't think it's that black and white. And I didn't use the word "evil."

I know it's unpleasant, but the truth is you do the animal no favors by re-homing it. In fact, you are likely signing its death sentence in a much more violent and painful way than euthanasia by the wildlife people. Raccoons are territorial. Drop a raccoon in another's territory, and it's likely to get run off and hit by a car or dying in some other kind of unpleasant way. Re-homing it only makes the human feel better about the situation.

I apologize.  I just didn't want you to feel sad for having a house in the suburbs. 

No, I apologize. You can't hear intent on email or threads. Now I understand what you're saying. I don't feel badly for living in the suburbs. I just wish we all approached it more kindly. Rather than saying, "they're pests -- get rid of them!" I'd rather think of a plan to let them live.

I love the joke of a bear in a swimming pool saying: "You build houses in my woods: I swim in your tiny lake."

Alley

Alley

Why don't you board it up then? Or ask your landlady to board it up? The person she hired is not going to board up the porch.

"Team Raccoon!" :lol:

The truth is the raccoon seems to have disappeared. The traps have been empty. I'm wondering if there's been too much activity around his "home." The wildlife lady definitely nosed around down there and likely left her scent.

Alley

Team Raccoon here, too.  :)

I'm so glad the traps have been empty, but the raccoon may come back when he feels it's safe.  I do encourage you to use some deterrents until the traps are taken away.  You might put a radio tuned to a talk station under your porch, and do some googling for homemade deterrent spray recipes. Hopefully the raccoon will decide it's best to just move on to one of his other dens.

Raccoons can do major damage to homes.

No kidding. My neighbor had a raccoon in the attic that wasn't there when the pest control people went in, so they boarded up the opening in the outside wall he used to get inside. He came back, ripped through the new boards, and then literally dug through the kitchen ceiling into the pantry to get to the food. Not pretty.

It's not a terribly awful story--until the end-- I guess.

My mom rescued Cecil as a baby--I think the mother had been killed.  We welcomed Cecil into the house, installed a hollowed log in the hallway for his enjoyment, fed him his favorite Nutterbutters, let him ride on our shoulders.  Cecil became a 30 pound Nutterbutter demanding hellion who thought it great sport to bite us on our necks while being squired around.

Gut wrenching decision to release him into the wild.  Of course he was supplied with sustenance (his other favorite--Kentucky Fried Chicken) but, still....I doubt he lived very long.

Years later after having learned what disease ridden creatures they can be, the guilt has lessened.

Mom always said she had us kids wormed on a regular basis.  Guess I should be glad for that.

We thought about having the racoons trapped and relocated (that's legal here) so they wouldn't bother our cat.  We ended up solving the problem by leaving lights on in the garage and playing audio sermons on a loop.  :)

I went with loud country music and flashing Christmas lights during daylight hours to persuade the possum living under our deck to relocate. :lol:

NOT "Team Raccoon" here.  We had one as a pet when I was a kid (rescued).

They DO NOT make good pets.

I don't think anyone has suggested keeping the raccoon as a pet, so I'm not sure what point you were trying to make. :confused:

No kidding. My neighbor had a raccoon in the attic that wasn't there when the pest control people went in, so they boarded up the opening in the outside wall he used to get inside. He came back, ripped through the new boards, and then literally dug through the kitchen ceiling into the pantry to get to the food. Not pretty.

I understand that the raccoon did a lot of damage, but what was he supposed to do? He would have died in the attic. He had to find a way to escape.

If anyone is to blame for the damage, it's the idiot that boarded up the opening while the raccoon was still inside the house.

I understand that the raccoon did a lot of damage, but what was he supposed to do? He would have died in the attic. He had to find a way to escape.

If anyone is to blame for the damage, it's the idiot that boarded up the opening while the raccoon was still inside the house.

I was thinking the same thing. We had a squirrel in our attic last year and I made super sure he was out before it got boarded up again.

The funniest thing was seeing the little guy back on my deck looking up where the hole should have been. The look on his face was so funny! Like, "where did my entrance go? Entrances don't just disappear!!"

So far no raccoon in the trap.

Alley

I was thinking the same thing. We had a squirrel in our attic last year and I made super sure he was out before it got boarded up again.

The funniest thing was seeing the little guy back on my deck looking up where the hole should have been. The look on his face was so funny! Like, "where did my entrance go? Entrances don't just disappear!!"

So far no raccoon in the trap.

Alley

LOL about the squirrel!!!

I'm glad to hear the raccoon has stayed out of the trap. How long do they plan to leave it there?

We had racoons in our attic. They ripped through the roof and did a lot of costly damage. They left droppings, which can carry disease, all over the place. I don't think you want them living in your home be it under or over. I like wildlife, but not in my home.

I don't think anyone has suggested keeping the raccoon as a pet, so I'm not sure what point you were trying to make. :confused:

The poster said "he came back."  So I read it as he was outside the attic, returned and ripped through the blocked old passageway and then got into the pantry.  Not that he was boarded up and trapped in the attic.

The poster said "he came back." So I read it as he was outside the attic, returned and ripped through the blocked old passageway and then got into the pantry. Not that he was boarded up and trapped in the attic.

I guess we interpreted the post in two totally different ways! :)

Looking at it again, I think you were right!

I wouldn't doubt that the raccoon had babies in that attic, or else she was expecting babies and had planned to have them in the warmth and safety of the attic. Otherwise, it probably wouldn't have gone to that kind of trouble to get back into the house.

When I was a kid a neighbor of my Aunt found some baby Raccoons.  He'd cut down a tree they lived in.  He did his best to leave them and the tree alone (even set up a trail cam) but the Momma never returned.  They were very young and he couldn't care for all three on his own.  He gave us one (the runt) he kept one and gave the biggest one to my Aunt.  Only the big one survived, Rocky was kept inside until he was about 6 mos. old.  My uncle built him a large "cage" that was left open most of the time.  He was able to come and go as he pleased but they still handled him and fed him daily.  When he was maybe 1- 2 years old he stopped coming home regularly.  He'd be gone for days at a time then stop in for a meal.  He became difficult to "pet" and they stopped trying.  Not long after he stopped returning at all.  We figured he finally "integrated"  back into the wild (very far off the road, no dogs or hunters etc...).  I would also suggest you make the den under your porch inhospitable to him.  After a bit board it up.  In the meantime spring the trap or simply cover it with something heavy.  If it came down to it and he did get trapped you could cart him off (covertly) to heck with the laws.  You have to do what you feel is Morally right no matter what other people think.  

I went with loud country music and flashing Christmas lights during daylight hours to persuade the possum living under our deck to relocate. :lol:

For the racoons in our deck roof we did the same thing with heavy metal music and lights. It was effective in getting them to relocate within a couple of days and then we were able to seal up the the area they'd chewed through to gain access. We decided not to go with country music because we live in Kentucky and we thought that might just make them feel at home. ;-)

When I was a kid a neighbor of my Aunt found some baby Raccoons.  He'd cut down a tree they lived in.  He did his best to leave them and the tree alone (even set up a trail cam) but the Momma never returned.  They were very young and he couldn't care for all three on his own.  He gave us one (the runt) he kept one and gave the biggest one to my Aunt.  Only the big one survived, Rocky was kept inside until he was about 6 mos. old.  My uncle built him a large "cage" that was left open most of the time.  He was able to come and go as he pleased but they still handled him and fed him daily.  When he was maybe 1- 2 years old he stopped coming home regularly.  He'd be gone for days at a time then stop in for a meal.  He became difficult to "pet" and they stopped trying.  Not long after he stopped returning at all.  We figured he finally "integrated"  back into the wild (very far off the road, no dogs or hunters etc...).  I would also suggest you make the den under your porch inhospitable to him.  After a bit board it up.  In the meantime spring the trap or simply cover it with something heavy.  If it came down to it and he did get trapped you could cart him off (covertly) to heck with the laws.  You have to do what you feel is Morally right no matter what other people think.  

Fabulous story. It sounds like your uncle and aunt win the award for making the smartest choice on behalf of the raccoon. Confetti for them!

This thread has been so interesting. I've learned a ton about raccoons. In fact, I think I'll turn this into a unit for my boys.

Thanks everyone!!

Alley

For the racoons in our deck roof we did the same thing with heavy metal music and lights. It was effective in getting them to relocate within a couple of days and then we were able to seal up the the area they'd chewed through to gain access. We decided not to go with country music because we live in Kentucky and we thought that might just make them feel at home. ;-)

:lol:

DH and I loved this!