Menu

Planned Parenthood-is this common?

NicAnn

I went into a planned parenthood this week to take a client to get birth control. This particular one is located in a very affluent neighborhood. The building had numerous cameras all around the outside. We were allowed into the locked entry way one at a time, where we were wanded (metal detector), ids taken, and we weren't allowed to have cell phones. Inside the office, more security cams and a large glass window separated us from the office workers. It was bizarre and unexpected.

Is this common?

I'm very much against abortion...extremely so. But if this is what PP has to do just to allow its patients to feel safe...well we have a problem in this country.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is very common.

I was once offered a job at Planned Parenthood. You would not believe how intense the hiring process just for HR to screen me before they let me interview with the department. I must have seen HR about 4-5 times before having 2 rounds of interviews with the departmental managers. Every single one of the many references they asked for was contacted and the questions were not just about my professional cred. I accepted a different position (for unrelated reasons- in hindsight I wish I had taken that job) but I was extremely impressed with the dedication of the staff and also quite alarmed to realize just how careful they still have to be, even when most of their services are not performing abortions.

I lost my student insurance 3 days before I realized I was pg with DD4 and went to Planned Parenthood for the pregnancy test (Dh's new insurance didn't kick in for a few weeks so I needed to be able to prove officially that I was pg before my insurance ran out so it wouldn't be a pre existing condition). I did have to be buzzed into the waiting area and the girl running the desk was behind a window. I had to put my info on a turnstile so she was always protected. Cameras everywhere. I then had to be buzzed into the treatment room to have blood drawn. This was just a small office that did tests and birth control.

, even when most of their services are not performing abortions.

I don't even think this locatation does abortions. Pretty sure you have to go across the state line.

I was really hoping my experience was because we are in such a conservative area. Guess not.

For perspective, our clinic performed abortions once per month. The overwhelming majority of patients are seen for routine gynecological care. There was also only one female physician who performed abortions in all of Southern California (during my tenure). I was told this was also normal.

That is sad. It sounds like I could get through security at a local defense dept facility than Planned Parenthood.

I am against abortion too. But that is not the only thing Planned Parenthood does. I do not know why people do not want to recognize providing affordable care for women is important and worthwhile. One of my best friends depended on them for about 15 years. She carried only a catastrophic plan so all routine stuff was out of pocket. Planned Parenthood has sliding scale rates, so my friend could handle the fees for routine appointments. They also do prenatal care.

If you disagree with abortions (which I do), wouldn't you value all human life? That includes those already born. It is awful that someone would protest what they believe to be ending a life with ending someone else's life. Tragic.

Crazy is as crazy does. Most pro-life people wouldn't hurt anyone. Most pro-life activists wouldn't physically attack anyone. But there is a fringe who feels that it's a war and that physical aggression and murder are merited. They see killing a doctor as saving lives. They are so very wrong. The violent fringe was one reason my mother never really got super into her pro-life activism despite being pro-life and an activist for many causes. The reluctance to condemn violence or accept responsibility for rhetoric was very troubling to her.

That's a horrid symptom of a complex (and horrid) situation. I'm so sorry that -- at such a time, needing medical care, vulnerable and coming to a clinic... And I'm sure they'd love to be warm and cozy, but that must feel like airport security or visiting a prison! So, so wrong.

I live in a very progressive area and our PP has metal detectors and all kinds of stuff to go through. I know someone who works there and she said if I knew the number and specificity of death threats they get on daily basis I wouldn't think it was enough safety.

My sister had to go there when she moved into town and had a m/c. Her husband hasn't arrived in town yet and she was alone with their toddler. She didn't think about it and brought her toddler to the exam (it was just a quick physical to make sure the m/c was progressing normally) and was told she wasn't allowed to bring her toddler with her into the exam room. They were super apologetic and understanding but they cannot allow more than the patient in any exam room due to safety precautions. Luckily I could go and pick up her toddler.

This was in Canada. I took a friend to an abortion clinic and they had a little security, but not that much. I walked her into the waiting room, but had to leave the building after signing a document saying I would come back for her.

They seemed gruff and unfriendly. But I guess they had a reason for being that way.

I don't recall any metal detectors or whatnot. Just not the open calm feeling of a typical doctor office.

I went into a planned parenthood this week to take a client to get birth control. This particular one is located in a very affluent neighborhood. The building had numerous cameras all around the outside. We were allowed into the locked entry way one at a time, where we were wanded (metal detector), ids taken, and we weren't allowed to have cell phones. Inside the office, more security cams and a large glass window separated us from the office workers. It was bizarre and unexpected.

Is this common?

I'm very much against abortion...extremely so. But if this is what PP has to do just to allow its patients to feel safe...well we have a problem in this country.

Yes it is common, as others have stated.

And yes, there is definately a problem.

Most people use PP for birth contral and affordable gyn. services, most PP locations do not do abortions. 

I agree that it's crazy that some so-called pro-life people are willing to tolerate violence to further their "cause."

However, the same is true of so-called peace activists, environmental activists, etc.  Some nuts even shoot up churches.  Crazy doesn't discriminate.

I have had to go through high security at all kinds of surprising places.  And then, there are other places where I'm surprised security is so lax.

Schools receive far fewer death and bomb threats and are much safer than reproductive health centers. There have been 137 school shootings and a tiny number of bombings at schools since 1980, including colleges. These tragic events have killed nearly 300 people. While only 11 workers at health clinics had been murdered over that time frame, over 300 arsons, bombings or acid attacks have targeted clinics. Considering that there are nearly 100k schools but only about 725 abortion clinics and 800 Planned Parenthoods (I don't know the overlap) the security issues for clinics are far greater. Also the types of security found at Planned Parenthood are not necessarily feasible or even safe in a school setting. To say nothing of the sheer cost and what that would mean for instructional expenditures.

Also, Planned Parenthood is a private non-profit with most of its budget coming from health fees and private donors. Can you imagine the liability that Planned Parenthood has to mitigate? If they spent less on security when things happened (because that's not an if!), they would be liable in ways that schools are not. They would lose money and potentially have to close needed centers.

Schools receive far fewer death and bomb threats and are much safer than reproductive health centers. There have been 137 school shootings since 1980, including colleges. These tragic events have killed nearly 300 people. While only 11 workers at health clinics had been murdered over that time frame, over 300 arsons, bombings or acid attacks have targeted clinics. Considering that there are nearly 100k schools but only about 725 abortion clinics and 800 Planned Parenthoods (I don't know the overlap) the security issues for clinics are far greater. Also the same types of security at Planned Parenthood are not necessarily feasible or even safe for schools. To say nothing of the sheer cost and what hat would mean for instructional expenditures.

Incredible irony in this post, and I will not comment further.

If you disagree with abortions (which I do), wouldn't you value all human life? That includes those already born. It is awful that someone would protest what they believe to be ending a life with ending someone else's life. Tragic.

You would think so, wouldn't you? They see it as some sort of warfare though, and they have to get the other side first. The man who killed the father of a family friend was a former minister. At his trial, he said his actions were defensive and he was executed still holding firm to his ideals and calling on others to do the same.

If you disagree with abortions (which I do), wouldn't you value all human life?  That includes those already born.  It is awful that someone would protest what they believe to be ending a life with ending someone else's life.  Tragic.

Yes, you'd absolutely think so.  And really, *that* is the ironic part of this.

I can't wrap my head around why anyone would think such violence is okay.  But as pointed out above, there are many groups, both for and against whatever cause, who think it's their calling to prove a point by any means necessary. 

If one wants to work toward reducing abortion (and that doesn't have to mean outlawing it, I'm thinking of the old "safe legal and rare" idea), there are many productive and compassionate ways to go about it. 

I think it's terrible that people threaten violence against any clinic or practitioner.

However, I wonder why PP doesn't just distance itself from abortions and make a public announcement to that effect.  One would think that this would cause the "movement" against PP to fizzle and make all the workers and clients safer.  I mean, if it's true that the vast majority of services performed by PP are not abortion-related.  I think most Americans would agree that it's great to have a resource for low-income women to get routine health services that have nothing to do with abortion.  There might still be some loons who are militantly anti-birth control or anti-male gynecologist or whatever, but it would seem to make the safety concerns a lot more remote.

I think it's terrible that people threaten violence against any clinic or practitioner.

However, I wonder why PP doesn't just distance itself from abortions and make a public announcement to that effect.  One would think that this would cause the "movement" against PP to fizzle and make all the workers and clients safer.  I mean, if it's true that the vast majority of services performed by PP are not abortion-related.  I think most Americans would agree that it's great to have a resource for low-income women to get routine health services that have nothing to do with abortion.  There might still be some loons who are militantly anti-birth control or anti-male gynecologist or whatever, but it would seem to make the safety concerns a lot more remote.

Because they're more concerned with providing needed health care than they are pandering to extremists.

Incredible irony in this post, and I will not comment further.

Why is it ironic? It is a charity program that should feel compelled to protect its workers.

If a school is less protected that is up to local politicians, not the same people. I know the Oklahoma Governor, Mary Fallin has been fighting people's demands to put more safe rooms in schools. The elementary I attended was destroyed, reduced to rubble, last May in a tornado and children died. Those halls that always protected us during all those tornado drills amounted to nothing. It gives me chills.

However, I wonder why PP doesn't just distance itself from abortions and make a public announcement to that effect. One would think that this would cause the "movement" against PP to fizzle and make all the workers and clients safer. I mean, if it's true that the vast majority of services performed by PP are not abortion-related. I think most Americans would agree that it's great to have a resource for low-income women to get routine health services that have nothing to do with abortion. There might still be some loons who are militantly anti-birth control or anti-male gynecologist or whatever, but it would seem to make the safety concerns a lot more remote.

Yes, because it's always a good idea to surrender when people threaten you with violence. People who threaten you with violence should get exactly what they want. PP doesn't provide abortions to piss people off, they provide them because as an organization they passionately support legal access to abortion services.

As for what "most Americans" want, most Americans actually support at least some access to ALL of the services that Planned Parenthood provides.

ETA- should research institutions just stop their research to give into animal rights activists? Should ecoterrorism groups who set fires or make threats of violence be able to dictate whatever to food and energy companies or governments they target? Of course not.

I have never had any experience with PP, so I had no idea that they had that level of security. I can understand why it would be necessary, but I would also think that it might frighten away many of the women it is designed to help, and that is tragic.

It's horrible to think that PP offices have to be maximum security facilities. :(

We have a similar organization but less security. I'd rather have the security. I once had to enter a clinic a group was picketing. It was ugly and frightening. It was just after a man had been arrested for entering and terrorizing staff and clients at a similar clinic. Let's just say it wasn't an easy day. Women seeking health services, medically induced miscarriages included, don't deserved to be terrorized as they go about their business.

I continue to believe that Jesus would not be one of those shouting, shaking his fist at or spitting on a woman.

I think it's awful that people try to scare women who are doing nothing wrong. They're trying to get medical care, for heaven's sakes!!!

I would be scared to walk through a group of people who were picketing a clinic, because I would be afraid they might turn violent. I'm sure most protesters wouldn't physically harm anyone, but all it takes is one lunatic. Besides, the protest signs and the verbal insults are damaging enough. I can't even begin to imagine how some poor woman, in the midst of a miscarriage, or a young woman going for her first gynecological examination, would be able to handle taunts and threats without being traumatized by the whole thing. It just shouldn't happen.

It is tragic that a woman who may be going through the most traumatic event of her life should have to be subjected to the kind of security you would expect of a prison. If you were going for a pregnancy test or a pap smear you could shrug it off but if you were there for an abortion or a d&c after an incomplete miscarraige that may be harder to do. I have yet to meet anyone who is is in favour of abortion (does anyone think it is a not to be missed experience?) but it iris legal and it may be the least worst option available.

Or even a woman going in for a legal abortion. Such women also don't deserve the additional trauma such people cause. I realize that's not going to be a popular view on these forums.

I don't see why.  I'd like to think we can all agree that, no matter one's views on abortion, reasonable discussion and supportive options are a better plan of action than yelling insults and invoking terror. 

I continue to believe that Jesus would not be one of those shouting, shaking his fist at or spitting on a woman.

Agreed.  People like to ask "What would Jesus do?"  I'm pretty sure the answer has never been, call someone terrible names and make them fear for their lives.

As a halfway aside, I hope people don't really want that kind of "security" in schools.  Any of us could die any moment in all kinds of ways, but that doesn't mean we should structure our lives as if it is probably trying to happen this very minute.  I don't know how kids are supposed to think and learn in that kind of environment.

As a halfway aside, I hope people don't really want that kind of "security" in schools. Any of us could die any moment in all kinds of ways, but that doesn't mean we should structure our lives as if it is probably trying to happen this very minute. I don't know how kids are supposed to think and learn in that kind of environment.

Amen. I think many ps already function as halfway prisons, what with armed police officers on guard, metal detectors, security cameras, etc. Makes me stressed to even visit some of them!

WRT PP, it's sort of ridiculous that these clinics would be targeted for violence and picketing and stuff, while the same folks wouldn't hesitate to check into a hospital if needed. A huge percentage of abortions are done in hospitals. Yet, people seem to have no problem separating those services from other health care at these institutions.

With PP, it doesn't matter if 99% of its health care is comprised of something other than abortion; it's still defined by that 1%.

So, basically a non-profit organization offers free and discounted health care, which sometimes includes abortion, and it's relentlessly targeted by some groups to be shut down. Violently, if necessary.

Elsewhere, for-profit hospitals also offer the same services at a much higher cost, along with abortion, and these places get patronized and supported by the community and their mission as health care providers lauded.

IMO, it really has less to do with PP being an abortion provider, as the fact it is a visible, clearly defined bastion of women's healthcare. That is enough to draw the ire of many people. If PP stopped performing abortions tomorrow, it would still be targeted, most likely for providing access to birth control.

It's about punishing girls and women for being so openly female, and assuming some measure of control over their bodies, in my honest opinion.

Or even a woman going in for a legal abortion. Such women also don't deserve the additional trauma such people cause. I realize that's not going to be a popular view on these forums.

:iagree:

While it might make extremist protesters feel good about themselves to shame individual women as they enter a clinic, it's not going to change any laws. If people are against legal abortion (or any other law,) they should be protesting to their government officials or getting the proper permits and holding protest rallies, not trying to bully the women who are availing themselves of legal medical services.

I've never actually seen an abortion "protest," so I don't know what they look like.  I thought most of them were designed to get women/teens to realize there are other options.  I thought most of them were completely nonviolent.  But I can understand the fear, knowing that there have been violent acts.

Though, I also wonder whether some of the security is against the possibility of women's relatives / boyfriends busting in and committing crimes of passion.  Or possibly based on the fact that people may be irrationally scared to go in and the appearance of high security makes them feel more comfortable.

I've never actually seen an abortion "protest," so I don't know what they look like. I thought most of them were designed to get women/teens to realize there are other options. I thought most of them were completely nonviolent. But I can understand the fear, knowing that there have been violent acts.

Though, I also wonder whether some of the security is against the possibility of women's relatives / boyfriends busting in and committing crimes of passion. Or possibly based on the fact that people may be irrationally scared to go in and the appearance of high security makes them feel more comfortable.

No, it's because of crazy nut jobs who bomb clinics and shoot at healthcare workers who may be involved in abortions. These security measures started when the nut jobs started. My friend's father who was murdered wore a bullet-proof vest and had a body guard to go to work, not to protect him from boyfriends or because he was irrationally scared, but because his predecessor at the clinic was also murdered by an anti-abortion activist.

I am surprised that people are surprised by this. It is pretty well known that these clinics receive threats and are sometimes victims of violence.

Back in the 90s, I visited our local women's' clinic. It isn't PP, but provides similar services. I wanted to get an annual exam and had no insurance and could not afford full price at a Dr.' s office. Anyway, I decided to drop in and get some info and make an appt. The people with signs who were protesting outside yelled at me as I went from my car into the clinic. I had to use a buzzer and tell them why I was there in order for them to open the door for me. The receptionist was behind a glass partition ( probably, hopefully bulletproof) They had a sign up of security procedures and rules. I don't remember what they were.

I got my info and left. The people outside didn't yell at me when I went back to my car. I guess they figured since I was only in there a few minutes I hadn't done anything.

I've never actually seen an abortion "protest," so I don't know what they look like. I thought most of them were designed to get women/teens to realize there are other options. I thought most of them were completely nonviolent. But I can understand the fear, knowing that there have been violent acts.

Though, I also wonder whether some of the security is against the possibility of women's relatives / boyfriends busting in and committing crimes of passion. Or possibly based on the fact that people may be irrationally scared to go in and the appearance of high security makes them feel more comfortable.

The ones I've seen have been horrifying. Huge 5 foot tall pictures of aborted babies, hate filled drivel, and screaming. This particular one was on the side of a busy road, in a town where there were no abortion clinics...which made it all the more strange. The other one I've seen was outside of a PP and it was just as bad.

I've never actually seen an abortion "protest," so I don't know what they look like. I thought most of them were designed to get women/teens to realize there are other options.

Every woman realizes that abortion is not her only option, and certainly PP counsels its patients about all options. What I honestly found more disheartening was the number of young girls who had abortions because they were too afraid to tell their parents that they were pregnant. These girls were generally Caucasian and came from conservative, religious families. In contrast, Latino young women from Catholic families seldom had abortions because they believed that they would receive greater familial support.

I drive by an abortion provider nearly every week day. There are protestors there a couple times a week near the building, not in front of it or by the doors. Most of them are standing with no signs. The only signs I see are pictures of live babies or have things like, "we can help" on them.

Abortions might be 3% of the services provide by PP but in 2012, according to their annual report provided 327,166 abortions. According to the same report, nearly half of their revenue comes from the government.

This is so sad.

Where I live in Colorado, there is a billboard bragging about shutting down one of the PPs.  I have had enough low income friends and family to know that most of the people who go there are not going for abortions.  I don't see anyone offering alternatives for low income services, it just seems like more are getting shut down.  I have never had to go to PP, and I am even more grateful for that now that I hear what conditions are like.  Very sad, and yes, very wrong.

I've never actually seen an abortion "protest," so I don't know what they look like.  I thought most of them were designed to get women/teens to realize there are other options.  I thought most of them were completely nonviolent.  But I can understand the fear, knowing that there have been violent acts.

Though, I also wonder whether some of the security is against the possibility of women's relatives / boyfriends busting in and committing crimes of passion.  Or possibly based on the fact that people may be irrationally scared to go in and the appearance of high security makes them feel more comfortable.

Most of them are designed to terrify and intimidate women and make them feel like crap if they so much as go near a PP.

And PP doesn't have that kind of money, to take all those security precautions just for appearances.  The security is there because they have no choice.