Menu

Ramona-type Books for Boys?

UnsinkableKristen

DS7 is just now at that cusp of reading for enjoyment, rather than reading because it has been assigned.  This is when I started reading the Ramona books, and when I had my daughter start them as well.  What would be something like those for boys?  He still needs to see a few pictures and he loves action. 

Books my son is enjoying right now:

Roscoe Riley

Marvin Redpost by Louis Sachar

Magic Treehouse (The first books. just got these for Christmas)

My DS likes pretty much anything by Beverly Cleary also. My brother also devoured her books, though I think he was more into the mouse books than anything else.

The movie, Ramona and Beezus, is really good too. I don't know how closely it follows the books (I didn't know about them when I was young), but my kids LOVE that movie. They watch it over and over. There is a short interview with Beverly Cleary on the DVD.

My kids and I have been listening to Beverly Cleary books on audio in the car. I started with the Mouse and the Motorcycle, then we listened to the other two books about the mouse (Ralph S Mouse and Runaway Ralph).  Then we moved to Henry Huggins, and listened to the full Hernry and Ribsy series.  I started with the boyish books, since 2/3 of my kids are boys.  Ramona is in all of the Henry books as a supporting character and by the time we finished the Henry books, they were all BEGGING to hear the books about Ramona herself.  So now we're on our first Ramona book, and we're continuing to love eery minute of it.  

I also agree with the suggestions of Homer Price (and its sequel Centerburg Tales) by McCloskey and Otis Spofford by Cleary.  If he likes Otis Spofford, he'd probably also like Ellen Tebbits.  Otis plays a large supporting role in her story. 

Mine aren't reading books of this length independently yet, but they love listening to them! 

Calvin Coconut - it's a series by Graham Salisbury. It's the Hawaiian (boy) Ramona, says a family who loved both characters!

I originally bought (and liked) them because they remind us of home, but we've lent them out to friends who also really enjoy them - and who don't have the same sentimental ties. The books are roughly 150 pages long, short chapter with normal-larger print, and every few page features a small drawing or picture.

Now 99% of our books are sourced from thrift stores, garage sales, hand-me-downs, and used bookstores. This series fell in the 1% for which I gladly ordered through Amazon. The kids still speak of Amazon Purchase 2009 ;) in which I ordered the rest of the series in one full-price swoop! We first learned of the series when a nice lady at church saw and bought it for my son because the boy on the cover resembled him. LOL

I would think the Stink books would work. About the Same reading level and there are some pictures. My girls are obsessed with the Fudge series. They are all hilarious. Slightly higher reading level maybe and I don't think there are pictures. My girls have listened to he books on audio enough that reading the book didn't seem as daunting.

Well, I when I was a little girl I adored the Henry Huggins books. I never read the Ramona series. They just didn't interest me for some reason. So, please don't rule out Ramona just because he is a boy. Both  my boys adored Anne of Green Gables and the Little House books and my older boy loves The Penderwicks.

And if he likes action then give the Soup books a try. I remember being amazed that I was allowed to read books that were so funny and about such naughty boys. I kept thinking the librarian would tell me that I couldn't have them. Those boys got into some scrapes for sure!