Menu

MIL of the year award goes to...

lollie010

the random lady I saw shopping in Belk's yesterday. I stood next to her as she rummaged the sale bin for 60% off ornaments while chatting with her DIL on the phone.

She said things like "oh honey, don't worry, with small children you just come when you can. We will make it work. I don't want you to worry about one thing. If you can bring a dish that's great, if not no big deal, it will all be fine.

We love you all and don't care one bit about anything other than spending time together. I have a few things for the children, would you like to chat about it and make sure they are what you would like for them to have or would you rather it just be a surprise for everyone. I want to give them things that are meaningful and useful, that won't take up too much space.

Will you all enjoy seafood this year? What alternatives should I have for the children? I know you dont want them eating too many sweets, so I put all the desserts on one shelf. you can look through and decide how you want to handle it. Ill have it ready whenever you get here. I know it's hard to pin point a time. We will just all be flexible.

It's going to be a great time. Call me if I can help you with any last minute details. We love you and you are just as important to us as our son and grandchildren. You are sharing yourself and your family with us and we want it to be special for everyone. Joy to you!!"

I sensed ZERO sarcasm in her voice. And she never once said "bless your heart." Was she for real?

My mom is like that with my SILs. I'm so thankful to have such a selfless mom but I admit it tainted my expectations of in laws. It just turns out my side of the family is extremely blessed with unselfish, loving relationships. Not so on DHs side and I've been known to gripe and complain when they don't behave like the ideal in laws should. This year has been hard on me.

I was looking around at a jewelry store a few weeks ago and there was an older lady looking at a very nice bracelet that cost several hundred dollars.  I overheard her telling the clerk that she felt so lucky to have such a wonderful DIL and she wanted to get her something extra special for Christmas.  She said she and her husband felt like they'd hit the jackpot with their DIL!

My MIL just spent a huge number of hours elpng dh and I put on. Dickens themed party for the teens and

unmarried /college students at our church. Not only did she cook, bake, and wash dishes she showed up

in a Victorian era kitchen maid's costume and poured beverages all evening and made me sit with some

students and visit instead work in the kitchen. She is 78! My 70 year old mother did the same. Dh and I

were so blessed to have their help. These two gals are always like this. Beautiful people inside and out

so he says he would nominate my mom and I nominate his.

the random lady I saw shopping in Belk's yesterday. I stood next to her as she rummaged the sale bin for 60% off ornaments while chatting with her DIL on the phone.

She said things like "oh honey, don't worry, with small children you just come when you can. We will make it work. I don't want you to worry about one thing. If you can bring a dish that's great, if not no big deal, it will all be fine.

We love you all and don't care one bit about anything other than spending time together. I have a few things for the children, would you like to chat about it and make sure they are what you would like for them to have or would you rather it just be a surprise for everyone. I want to give them things that are meaningful and useful, that won't take up too much space.

Will you all enjoy seafood this year? What alternatives should I have for the children? I know you dont want them eating too many sweets, so I put all the desserts on one shelf. you can look through and decide how you want to handle it. Ill have it ready whenever you get here. I know it's hard to pin point a time. We will just all be flexible.

It's going to be a great time. Call me if I can help you with any last minute details. We love you and you are just as important to us as our son and grandchildren. You are sharing yourself and your family with us and we want it to be special for everyone. Joy to you!!"

I sensed ZERO sarcasm in her voice. And she never once said "bless your heart." Was she for real?

Maybe it was some kind of reality show!  They were looking for some woman who would grab her and plead, "Will you be my mother-in-law?" or else tell her their own m-i-l horror story and play it on TV! ;)

Seriously, I hope I'm like that when it's my turn!

Maybe it was some kind of reality show!  They were looking for some woman who would grab her and plead, "Will you be my mother-in-law?" or else tell her their own m-i-l horror story and play it on TV! ;)

Seriously, I hope I'm like that when it's my turn!

I did look around the area to see if anyone else was awestruck or if there were any cameras. LOL. I told the lady next to me that I wanted to celebrate Christmas at THAT house. Then I gave the MIL my best knowing kind of smile with a big thumbs up. 

Ok, not trying to brag, but my sons-in-law both think I'm like that (well maybe not QUITE as sweet). My dd's husband (military) told her he wished I could move in during my visit this last 2 weeks.

I really make an effort to be a blessing to them when I'm there; buying special food items I know aren't on their budget, cooking lots of meals and throwing some in the freezer, bringing goodies from home they can't buy in VA, cleaning, doing laundry, and, of course, entertaining the grandchildren!

Also, since I'm usually a healthy food freak, I only buy organic, healthy snacks and treats for the grandkids.

Yeah. I'm perfect granny. ;-p

I would just like to say that I am not nosy or up in dd and son-in- law's business nor do I offer

unsolicited advice. I do try to spoil the dear boy. We remind him often that we love him, consider him

to be our son, and feel blessed to have him in our family. I hope we are good in laws...that is very

important to us.

My mil is not that wordy and its not often that we communicate on the phone but she is a lovely woman.  She would be the mil to say all those things if I needed her too.  Well minus the sweets thing, but I entirely call sugaring your kid up on a holiday a grandparent right so I don't mind :)

My MIL was like that, loving and kind, though she also let us know what we could do to help her out, especially as she got older. She'd have a list for us that might include putting up outside Christmas lights, cleaning the garage, or weeding. We loved her so we never minded doing things that were getting increasingly harder for her. When she was younger and grandchildren were small, she did a lot for us...always coming to help out after a baby's birth, etc. She hosted most holidays at her house.

She died last year and I miss her so very much. We all do.

Both my mom and MIL are wonderful and I truly believe that they would both do anything within their power if DH or I needed them to (and it wouldn't matter if it was their child or their child in law that needed for either of them). My MIL and I went through a rather awkward time after our daughter died when I just wasn't in a position to let her help (or to help her grieve because she lost a granddaughter that it was obvious she loved) and that was hard but we've made our way back from that.  I also think that both our moms get that we have kids and things sometimes happen and plans change (and I'm a physicians and sometimes plans change---actually my MIL who is married to a physician may even grasp this better than my mom) but I don't really see either of them being quite so out there via cell phone while pillaging through Christmas ornaments.  Now if they found what they thought was the perfect ornament for one of our kids or my husband they might call for a second opinion (or to make sure the baby hasn't grown into a new size since the last time they saw her---in my mom's case---my MIL lives in our community and sees the kids at least weekly and sometimes more than daily).  I suppose if I called one of them while they were shopping anyway and was super stressed about how I was going to ruin Christmas with my kids so perhaps that is what happened to this MIL.  I've never actually done that because I was raised with the view that no one ruins Christmas and my mom is very understanding.  My MIL is very understanding as well and during the periods where I was uncomfortable around her I certainly wouldn't have called her with a crisis.