Menu

S/O-what unpopular/lesser known movies do you love?

Mom in High Heels

Since we're talking movies, I thought I'd start yet another thread.  What lesser known or unpopular do you love?

The ones that immediately come to mind are:

Strictly Ballroom

The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill but Came Down a Mountain (has anyone seen that?)

Little Miss Sunshine

Waking Ned Devine

On a Clear Day

Enchanted April

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Iphigenia" -- adaptation of the play

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076208/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Astounding rendition.

Great movie.

My nomination for best Kid's Movies: A Town Called Panic (Panique au Village) - which has gotten better-known by being free on Netflix - and the Soviet version of The Princess and the Pea (Printsessa na Goroshine), one of the few films made for children that I enjoy watching.

Since we're talking movies, I thought I'd start yet another thread.  What lesser known or unpopular do you love?

Strictly Ballroom

The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill but Came Down a Mountain (has anyone seen that?)

Little Miss Sunshine

Waking Ned Devine

On a Clear Day

Enchanted April

I've watched and enjoyed all three of those movies.  I will have to add the rest you have listed to my list of movies to watch, since we seem to have similar tastes.

And I'll add an old movie that my dh and I both enjoyed.  The Red Shoes.  Excellent film.  Well acted and directed.  It's a 1948 film.   

And a more recent film that we both loved was Sunshine Cleaning with Amy Adams and Emily Blunt. 

I love a lot of movies, and the ones I like enough to watch 3 or more times is an odd little list in and of itself. Some of the ones people raise an eyebrow when I say I love are:

Forgetting Sarah Marshal

Sahara

Shag

Secondhand Lions

The Replacements

The one Dh and I recommend to people the most is "The Man from Earth"

Trailers don't do it justice. 

One way I can think of descirbing it to this message board, "Picture the best debaters and most thouroughly educated people on this board sitting around and thoughfully discussing the possibility of one man having lived since the stone age. History majors trying to poke holes in his stories, Science majors trying to point holes in the science of it all, ... 

(be warned he claims to have meet a person from the bible. So if you will have a problem with it, don't watch it.)

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVMhEAI3pvg

I think this movie is best going in with no idea of what it is going to be about. 

Waking Ned Devine

LOVE Waking Ned Devine. I remember seeing it in a little indie theater when it first came out and laughed so hard!

I have a couple movies that are so not what I'd consider "high brow" films, but love them because they remind me of small town living, which is where I grew up (not that I miss small town living, but it does bring me back). Funny that both of them have Lauren Holly in them.

- Beautiful Girls

- No Looking Back

Strictly Ballroom

The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill but Came Down a Mountain (has anyone seen that?) Yes! I love quietly quirky movies.

Little Miss Sunshine

Waking Ned Devine

On a Clear Day--I love this one too, but sometimes I'm embarrassed to mention it.

Enchanted April

I absolutely adore Desk Set with Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy. I haven't met many people that have seen it. It is one of my "Christmas" movies. The kids complain that it is boring, so I often watch it alone.

Love many of the movies already listed!  Enchanted April is one of my all-time favs.

One of our favs that I got lucky and stumbled upon - Quality Street - made 1937 with Katherine Hepburn and Franchot Tone.

Oooh, just thought of this one - The Shop Around the Corner with a young Jimmy Stewart.

Wife vs. Secretary  with a very likeable Clark Gable (not his usual macho, blustery self) and Jean Harlow and Myrna Loy AND with an extremely young Jimmy Stewart. :)

I love a lot of movies, and the ones I like enough to watch 3 or more times is an odd little list in and of itself. Some of the ones people raise an eyebrow when I say I love are:

Forgetting Sarah Marshal

Sahara

Shag - I like this movie too.  It's cute.

Secondhand Lions

The Replacements

The only one that comes to my mind is The Cutting Edge with DB Sweeney and Moira Kelly.  Most people I know have never heard of it. I never get tired of watching it, and I've seen both sequels but they aren't as good as the original.  

I can honestly say that other than Shag, I've never even heard of any of the movies listed so far.

LOVE Waking Ned Devine. I remember seeing it in a little indie theater when it first came out and laughed so hard!

I have a couple movies that are so not what I'd consider "high brow" films, but love them because they remind me of small town living, which is where I grew up (not that I miss small town living, but it does bring me back). Funny that both of them have Lauren Holly in them.

- Beautiful Girls

- No Looking Back

Beautiful Girls was a terrific movie.  I can still see scenes from it in my mind, and it's been, what, 20 years since I've seen it.  Excellent film.

I've not seen No Looking Back.  Another one to look into. :)

And someone mentioned Second Hand Lions.  Great movie.  I could watch it again and again. 

The Road Home. 

It is a movie from China with subtitles.  Absolutely beautiful.  I am pretty sure that it was someone on this forum that recommended it.  My dc love it also.  The first 10 minutes or so is in black and white but then the rest of it is in the most beautiful color.

also I agree with Secondhand Lions, our entire family watches that over and over.  We even have recommended it to family members and they love it also.

Hidalgo.  I don't know if that was popular or not when it came out but I never hear anyone mentioning it.  One of my very favorite movies that I and dh and even our dc watch over and over.

SLC Punk is one of my top 5 favorite movies!!!  And my dh's.  He is the only one outside of my family( or people that were introduced to it by my family) I've ever known who has even heard of it.  

Add me to the list. :)

How about Blood of Heroes.  Has anyone seen that?  

The Road Home. 

It is a movie from China with subtitles.  Absolutely beautiful.  I am pretty sure that it was someone on this forum that recommended it.  My dc love it also.  The first 10 minutes or so is in black and white but then the rest of it is in the most beautiful color.

Loved that one.

Beautiful Girls was a terrific movie.  I can still see scenes from it in my mind, and it's been, what, 20 years since I've seen it.  Excellent film.

I've not seen No Looking Back.  Another one to look into. :)

And someone mentioned Second Hand Lions.  Great movie.  I could watch it again and again. 

I just watched Beautiful Girls again last weekend. DH and the kids were out golfing, and movies like that are like comfort food for me. It's on netflix instant watch! So is No Looking Back (it's an Edward Burns movie).

The only one that comes to my mind is The Cutting Edge with DB Sweeney and Moira Kelly.  Most people I know have never heard of it. I never get tired of watching it, and I've seen both sequels but they aren't as good as the original.  

I can honestly say that other than Shag, I've never even heard of any of the movies listed so far.

I liked The Cutting Edge (original) a lot. A sweet movie!

If this movie is on, I watch it. I absolutely love it.

Strictly Ballroom

Little Miss Sunshine

Waking Ned Devine

On a Clear Day

Enchanted April

Seen all those except "Miss Pettigrew..." and loved them all.   Enchanted April is my go-to movie during the winter blues.  I love that movie "it's a big tub o' love!" 

Here's my additions:

Always

Ostrov

Oliver's Travels - not a movie but a BBC mini series - such a sweet and witty love story

The Cave and the Yellow Dog

Story of the Weeping Camel

The Secret of Roan Inish

Memento

Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert

Secrets and Lies

Jean de Florette & Manon of the Spring (2 movies, but they're connected)

Shower (Xizao)

The Intouchables (thanks to someone's suggestion here)

Truly, Madly, Deeply  - love Alan Rickman playing that cello.

okay, better stop.

Here are the ones off the top of my head:

Muriel's Wedding

Little Voice

Brassed Off

Departures

Now I'm trying to think of others :) .

I liked all those movies, but Departures.... just couldn't get into it for some reason.  I tried more than once.    I almost put Muriel's Wedding on my list, but it was already getting too long.

Sahara

The Replacements

I love both of these. 

I LOVE this movie.  It used to be on tv all the time and I always watched it.  I finally bought it on dvd.

Others that I think aren't too popular but I love:

Grease 2 (I can't even think how old I was when I realized there was a second Grease movie!)

Nightbreed - based on a book by Clive Barker - the monsters are the good guys.

Gypsy - I guess it was popular when it came out? 

Tremors - another that used to be on tv all the time

Soylent Green

Grease 2 (I can't even think how old I was when I realized there was a second Grease movie!)

OMG, I thought my cousin and I were the only 2 people on the planet who liked this movie!  The summer between 7th and 8th grade, she and I watched this movie almost every day.  I can still sing all the songs!  I'm not sure if I should be proud or ashamed.