Menu

s/o Let's make our own list>> Most Famous CHILDREN'S Book Set in Every State

13 Alabama Ghosts and Jeffrey for Alabama.  Kathryn Windham Tucker did a whole series of these about various Southern states, but she was from Selma and Jeffrey "lives" there too (I think he was her house's ghost).  They're a good introduction of Southern gothic for children, IMHO.  If you want to introduce your children to Southern gothic.

Charlotte's Web for Pennsylvania.  Where is The Trumpet of the Swan mainly set? 

I second the nomination for Caddie Woodlawn over Little House for Wisconsin.

Okay, I have been wracking my brain -- it's been a while since I read Charlotte's Web, and I'm not remembering a reference to Pennsylvania.  Google isn't helping me either.  Since we're from PA, I thought I'd remember a reference, but I'm coming up blank.  Can you help me?

Okay, I have been wracking my brain -- it's been a while since I read Charlotte's Web, and I'm not remembering a reference to Pennsylvania.  Google isn't helping me either.  Since we're from PA, I thought I'd remember a reference, but I'm coming up blank.  Can you help me?

Confession -- I never noticed that Charlotte's Web was set in Pennsylvania either.  My information comes entirely from this week's WWE 1 Lesson:  Week 9, Day 1 -- "Charlotte's Web tells the story of a little girl named Fern and her pet pig Wilbur.  Fern and Wilbur live in the state of Pennsylvania."  The copywork exercise for that day was "The teacher asked Fern to name the capital of Pennsylvania."

I hope it's okay for me to quote this much of the text.  If not, I'll remove it.

We don't own Charlotte's Web so I can't look anything up for verification, but I may be rechecking it from the library to satisfy my own curiosity, too!

Does Bridge to Terabithia had a specific state setting?

Added Dicey's Song

I think it is in Virginia- it was a short day trip to DC. It's not West Virginia.

Yes, I think it’s Virginia. The author lived in the DC suburbs, although in Maryland and Terebithia was inspired by the death of the childhood best friend of one of her sons. Another of her books, Jacob Have I Loved is either Virginia or Maryland (it’s an island in the Chesapeake Bay and I’m not sure it’s explicit which side of the state line it’s on). 

Confession -- I never noticed that Charlotte's Web was set in Pennsylvania either.  My information comes entirely from this week's WWE 1 Lesson:  Week 9, Day 1 -- "Charlotte's Web tells the story of a little girl named Fern and her pet pig Wilbur.  Fern and Wilbur live in the state of Pennsylvania."  The copywork exercise for that day was "The teacher asked Fern to name the capital of Pennsylvania."

I hope it's okay for me to quote this much of the text.  If not, I'll remove it.

We don't own Charlotte's Web so I can't look anything up for verification, but I may be rechecking it from the library to satisfy my own curiosity, too!

I always assumed it was Vermont or New Hampshire and that they were just learning the state capitals in school. 

Confession -- I never noticed that Charlotte's Web was set in Pennsylvania either. My information comes entirely from this week's WWE 1 Lesson: Week 9, Day 1 -- "Charlotte's Web tells the story of a little girl named Fern and her pet pig Wilbur. Fern and Wilbur live in the state of Pennsylvania." The copywork exercise for that day was "The teacher asked Fern to name the capital of Pennsylvania."

I hope it's okay for me to quote this much of the text. If not, I'll remove it.

Ah! I see. I don't think it does say in the book, and it could have easily said Hawaii instead, but that is a logical step.

Okay, so I put Jacob Have I Loved under Maryland and Bridge to Terabithia under Virginia. I added A Lion to Guard Us under Virginia; I know a lot of the action takes place elsewhere, but the children are trying to reach their father in Jamestown. The picture books are missing many states so keep the suggestions coming. The children's literature needs books as well. I researched a few books and made suggestions. If you or your children have read the book, give a yay or nay if it should be included. 

Arizona: 

• Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
  • Finding Zola by Marianna Mitchell
  • Code Talker by Joseph Bruchac - DS read and liked this book, but most of the action isn't in Arizona

Arkansas:

• Summer of my German Soldier by Bette Greene

Delaware:

• I couldn't find anything

Georgia:

• The Liberation of Gabriel King by K. L. Going
  • My Name is Sally Little Song by Brenda Woods 

Hawaii:

• Under the Blood Red Sun by Graham Salisbury
  • DS read I Survived the Bombing of Pearl Harbor and A Boy at War, but I think these books were less about Hawaii and more about Pearl Harbor so I didn't include them. I'm open to other opinions!

Iowa:

• Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata
  • Stumptown Kid by Carol Gorman

Louisiana:

• My Louisiana Sky by Kimberly Willis Holt
  • Ninth Ward and Sugar by Jewell Parker Rhodes 

Nebraska:

• The Red Umbrella by Christina Gonzalez

Nevada:

• Riding Freedom by Pam Munoz Ryan

New Mexico:

• The Gadget by Paul Zindel

North Dakota:

• I couldn't find anything

Rhode Island:

• The Art of Keeping Cool by Janet Taylor Lisle

South Carolina:

• The Small Adventures of Popeye and Elvis by Barbara O'Connor

What say the Hive on these books:

Alabama: To Kill a Mockingbird - I don't really consider it children's literature, but it's one of the most famous books about Alabama

Kansas: Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool

Texas: The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate

The Raft  - Jim LaMarche for Wisconsin

Tar Beach - Faith Ringgold for NY

The Man Who Walked Between the Towers - Mordicai Gerstein also for NY

We were looking for book club inspiration and found it in this thread!  Starting next week in PA with "The Cabin Faces West" and then traveling to NJ with "Cheaper by the Dozen" then outward across the US.  I'm thinking about a state map sticker passport for DS7, and a map journal for DS10.   Combine that with the United States Cookbook and The Scrambled States of America and we have a geography book club plan!  Keep them coming, I'm taking notes.

Thanks!

For some reason I thought Charlotte's web was set in New England. I actually thought it was set in the south and I was shocked to find it was so far north. However....I might have gotten the New England part from the movie which may have taken certain liberties as I couldn't find any mention of locacation while quickly perusing it last night.

Edited to add: The 2006 movie is set in Maine.

In response to the person above who asked if Uncle Tom's Cabin is a children's book.  The answer to that would be no.  My father is a good reader and he struggled through this book.

ETA: I just looked up the reading level on this book and it is 9th grade level.

The Raft  - Jim LaMarche for Wisconsin

Tar Beach - Faith Ringgold for NY

The Man Who Walked Between the Towers - Mordicai Gerstein also for NY

We were looking for book club inspiration and found it in this thread!  Starting next week in PA with "The Cabin Faces West" and then traveling to NJ with "Cheaper by the Dozen" then outward across the US.  I'm thinking about a state map sticker passport for DS7, and a map journal for DS10.   Combine that with the United States Cookbook and The Scrambled States of America and we have a geography book club plan!  Keep them coming, I'm taking notes.

Thanks!

Done. Thank you.

Guest user314159

Oregon-- Heart of a Shepherd by Rosanne Parry

Alabama-- Inside Out & Back Again by Thanhha Lai

Virginia - Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry

Maryland-- Red Kayak by Priscilla Cummings

New Mexico-- The Green Glass Sea by Ellen Klages

• 2 weeks later...

Great Civil War books:

Turn Homeward, Hannalee -- Indiana

Be Ever Hopeful, Hannalee -- Atlanta, Georgia

To my knowledge, these books are the only books that depict the "poor white" situation -- vs. Scarlett-types -- while the Civil War raged around them. Wonderful book. Awesome strong girl and her brother. My boys, both 10, didn't want me to stop reading.

Alley

Has anyone mentioned Lois Lenski's "American Regional" series" ?  We've read a handful of them and have found the quality of her research and writing consistently high. 

Bayou Suzette. - Louisiana
Strawberry Girl - Florida 
Blue Ridge Billy. - North Carolina
Judy's Journey -  Migrant worker family, various states.
Boom Town Boy.  - Oklahoma
Cotton in My Sack - Arkansas
Texas Tomboy. - West Texas
Prairie School - South Dakota
Mama Hattie's Girl
Corn-Farm Boy. - Iowa.
San Francisco Boy - San Francisco's Chinatown
Flood Friday - Connecticut.
Houseboat Girl - Mississippi River
Coal Camp Girl. - West Virginia.
Shoo-Fly Girl.  - Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
To Be a Logger. - rural area of Oregon
Deer Valley Girl. - Vermont 

Marguerite de Angeli had some picture books too, mostly set in Pennsylvania - Yonie Wondernose, Henner's Lydia, Skippack School. 

Oregon-- Heart of a Shepherd by Rosanne Parry

Alabama-- Inside Out & Back Again by Thanhha Lai

Virginia - Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry

Maryland-- Red Kayak by Priscilla Cummings

New Mexico-- The Green Glass Sea by Ellen Klages

Done! Thank you.

Great Civil War books:

Turn Homeward, Hannalee -- Indiana

Be Ever Hopeful, Hannalee -- Atlanta, Georgia

To my knowledge, these books are the only books that depict the "poor white" situation -- vs. Scarlett-types -- while the Civil War raged around them. Wonderful book. Awesome strong girl and her brother. My boys, both 10, didn't want me to stop reading.

Alley

Added. Thanks!

Al Capone Does My Shirts for SF/Alcatraz

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Cynthia Rylant's wonderful The Van Gogh Cafe takes place in Kansas, although it's not about Kansas. :)

Alaska:

My Name is Not Easy

The Impossible Rescue

Added all, including The Van Gogh Cafe. Thank you!

Hoot by Carl Hiaasen is set in Coconut Cove, FL.

Added. Thanks!

Has anyone mentioned Lois Lenski's "American Regional" series" ?  We've read a handful of them and have found the quality of her research and writing consistently high. 

Mama Hattie's Girl
Corn-Farm Boy. - Iowa.

Marguerite de Angeli had some picture books too, mostly set in Pennsylvania - Yonie Wondernose, Henner's Lydia, Skippack School. 

Added the literature books, except for Judy's Journey and Mama Hattie's Girl as they weren't linked to specific states. Thank you!

For Arizona, another picture book: Don't Call Me Pig! A Javelina Story by Conrad Storad.

Another Minnesota picture book: Prairie Train by Marsha Chall

Added. Thank you!

The Armadillo from Amarillo -- TX

Added. Thanks!

Added to post. Thank you!

The Perilous Road -- Tennessee. Fantastic story about a Rebel boy who learns that his hated "bluebellies" are just people and that war is awful and complicated.

Animal-suffering wise: the mules don't make out so well, but since my boys are sensitive about this sort of thing I skipped over the "mules screaming" from being shot kind of stuff. It doesn't happen that often.

Otherwise, this book is totally appropriate for third grade to seventh grade or older. Thank to the mom on here who told me about this book!

Alley

Mama Hattie's Girl
Corn-Farm Boy. - Iowa.

I was coming in to mention Lois Lenski's excellent commissioned series, with the caveat that almost every title, except for Strawberry Girl is flatly impossible to find.  :glare:

I was coming in to mention Lois Lenski's excellent commissioned series, with the caveat that almost every title, except for Strawberry Girl is flatly impossible to find.  :glare:

Well then the Hive will just have to agitate for them until they're reprinted, won't we? ;) I track Lois Lenski (we call her Yois Yenski b/c my boy can't say his Ls yet) on eBay and these do come up now and again, but they're almost all ex-lib and a minimum of $25 so...yeah. :)

AMDG

Oklahoma -- I don't think it is the most famous but, by far the best: Summer of the Monkeys by Wilson Rawls.

In fact, it may be one of the best books ever written and the story of why he has only written two books . . . sniffle, sniffle . . . S*O*B*! :crying:

This was my suggestion. Love love love that book.

The Perilous Road -- Tennessee. Fantastic story about a Rebel boy who learns that his hated "bluebellies" are just people and that war is awful and complicated.

Alley

Added. Thank you!

New Mexico - Sing Down the Moon; Bless Me, Ultima

Oklahoma - The Outsiders

Added. Thanks!

Open Road Media has done some reprints. The paperbacks are $9 and the Kindle editions $6 (but they went on sale before at $2 IIRC).

http://www.openroadmedia.com/lois-lenski

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=lois%20lenski

But I would like to see more of her books too so let's keep agitating, Hive.  :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...

Open Road Media has done some reprints. The paperbacks are $9 and the Kindle editions $6 (but they went on sale before at $2 IIRC).

http://www.openroadmedia.com/lois-lenski

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=lois%20lenski

Amazon has some Lois Lenski (Kindle edition) titles on sale at $2 today:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=node%3D6151507011&field-keywords=lois+lenski