Menu

So... how do you improve your financial worth?

PeacefulChaos

For jobs, obviously.

I know the obvious - go to school.  Get trained for a higher paying job.  Get a promotion.  Etc.

But how does one effectively put that into practice?  

Here's our thing:

We know (I mean, KNOW, we really really do) that DH needs to get paid more.  Where we are right now, we have a great deal on housing, etc, but we can't stay here forever.  We will have to move out in a few years' time.  The problem is, we can't afford to live anywhere else (literally.  There were tons of factors that came into us moving here and it was pretty hard even then... after that, DH switched jobs and started making a lot less.  So literally, there is no.where.else. we can live.)  We have one vehicle and no public transportation.  DH and I can both walk to work (I work less than part time at the same place he works full time).  

DH would like to go back to school to improve our situation.  The problem with THAT is, there is nothing here.  We live in a rural area with nothing to speak of - there are community colleges in surrounding areas, but they are about 45 minutes - 1 hour away.  A lot of them don't offer much re: night classes, so we really would be stuck since DH can't not work in order to go to school.

I can't figure out how we will ever get out of this mess.  :P  I'm not as stressed about it as that sentence sounds, but I do know that it's something that is there, that we need to figure out, but we just haven't yet.  And we don't know how to.

If I were to try to go to school, it would be the same.  There are two local 4 year university/colleges, but they don't offer the programs that would be what we would be looking for.  Well, TBH, I don't even know what I would go back to school for - the only thing I can see doing is finishing my music degree, and what would I do with that?  All the jobs related to that would require really long hours of me, which I'm totally not interested in right now.  The degree, sure, the job after, not so much.  So that's sort of a moot point anyway.  Anyway, it isn't like I could go to school, then work so that he could go to school, etc.  

And then there are the kids, even if we could do that -- the public schools here are really quite bad educationally.  Like, almost not even accredited.  So I really wouldn't want to do that.  There are two-three private schools but what's the point of that when we're already trying to save money?  (Not to mention Idk how we would ever in a million years justify spending the 4000-8000/yr that they cost per KID).  

Sometimes I think, should we move?  Should we see if DH can find a job somewhere else, with more access to community colleges to further his education?  Or what?

I'm totally stumped.  

(Yes, this is a bit of a s/o of the fast food/wage thread.  He makes more than the McDonald's employees in question, but not a whole heck of a lot more.  If they got their requested $15/hr, he'd be making less.  And while I still think their idea is preposterous, I do also know the difficulties - obviously! - of trying to make life better, financially.)

So, any ideas?

Has your dh considered an online degree where he can either take classes from home or take standardized tests and use a portfolio to earn credits toward a degree?

Check out Thomas Edison State College. I'm on my iPad so I can't post a link, but the website is tesc.edu

Has your dh considered an online degree where he can either take classes from home or take standardized tests and use a portfolio to earn credits toward a degree?

Check out Thomas Edison State College. I'm on my iPad so I can't post a link, but the website is tesc.edu

This was going to be my suggestion.  Thomas Edison State College is where both of my degrees are from.  I had a bunch of credits from other places that they consolidated and I did a combination of tests and online classes for the rest.

Thomas Edison is part of NJ's public universities and is an accredited and legitimate school.

Can you do any freelance work from home?  It won't cover insurance and you'd have to pay your own taxes, but could you offer businesses services online such as writing, bookkeeping, marketing, or other offerings?  Could you or your husband train yourselves to make websites or learn to program?  I don't know if this would offer you the kind of financial security you're looking for, but it could help bring in dollars to help facilitate a move or invest in some education.

If you decide to move, you might want to consider the cost of living.  If you make low wages, it is better not to live in high cost of living areas.  This website has a map that shows Cost of Living.

http://www.coli.org/

Given that you want to improve your financial position, I would not spend any money on a degree or education unless you knew it would specifically lead better paying job.  I think college is great and I would recommend it to anyone who can afford it.    But finishing a music degree without a specific plan to convert the degree into a salary doesn't make any sense when you are looking to improve your financial position in the short run.   

Suzie Orman or Dave Ramsey suggest taking on a paper route to help people make more income to get out of debt.   If you can figure out how a degree can be converted into a higher salary, then figure out how much the degree costs and how you can save up enough to pay for it.   Don't borrow if you can help it.  Don't quit your day jobs.   Get your degree in the evenings and weekends as much as possible.    

I think sometimes, the answer is 'suck it up for a short time, because you know it won't be forever.' When I first graduated, the only job I could get was very low-paying. I lived in a leaky basement apartment, worked that job (and was paid by the hour, so I would often work even when sick because I couldn't afford to lose the pay) and also worked two second jobs, one babysitting regularly on a certain night of the week for a family I found by placing a Craigslist ad, and one teaching Sunday school one morning a week. I used this extra money to pay off a large chunk of my student loans, and I kept it up for two years. And then---well, I had a somewhat better job, and a somewhat better apartment by then, and my student loan payments were just a little less, and I lucked into a summer job that paid just a little more and things slowly improved. The Sunday school job ended, but the babysitting continued (right up until the time I met my guy, actually, at which point I finally realized I was too old to be spending my Friday nights, after a full day's work, going somewhere else and doing more work. And by then my loan was paid off...

To give you two more examples---I had a relative who did an executive MBA program where for two years, he would work his regular job, and them commute 2 hours away every weekend to do his MBA classes. And his quality of life did suffer for those two years, and he was tired and stressed and had a lot on his plate. But then it was over and he was able to get a much better job and buy a nice house and be with his family and life was so much better. And in the grand scheme of things, those two years were so little. And also, my guy---he was on kidney dialysis while he was in university (he has had kidney disease since birth) and actually chose his university based on its proximity to the hospital. And it sucked---a lot---to be sick from dialysis but walk from there to classes. But now he is so glad he has that degree, and he is regularly asked to speak at groups for kidney patients, to show them that you can have a life and be successful even with a chronic illness.

I have seen in other advice threads like this that people are afraid to make themselves uncomfortable. They say things like 'well, I already work really hard' or 'if I worked more or changed my routine or did this instead of that, then I wouldn't have this time or space or leisure that I currently do.' And that is missing the point. One year spent toughing it out and working really hard can sometimes lead to the rest of your life being so much better. And really, what is one year in the scheme of things? So take a second job, even if it's two shifts a week delivering pizza, and squirrel away the money to take some classes or to build yourself an emergency fund that will make your financial life less prone to stresses. It won't be forever. Take the time---even if you have to borrow it, short-term, from something else that is important to you---and work harder, study more, take a step to get ahead. It won't be forever And when your hell month or hell year or hell two years or whatever is up, you'll be so much more secure and better off than you were before.

Thanks!  I'll definitely check that out.

Can you do any freelance work from home?  It won't cover insurance and you'd have to pay your own taxes, but could you offer businesses services online such as writing, bookkeeping, marketing, or other offerings?  Could you or your husband train yourselves to make websites or learn to program?  I don't know if this would offer you the kind of financial security you're looking for, but it could help bring in dollars to help facilitate a move or invest in some education.

Well, we don't really have any specific skills to speak of.  

When it came time for me to save money for my trip, I was busting my backside trying to think of ways to get the money for it.  In the end, it was getting the job I have and starting to babysit one little boy 3 days per week.  I also sold some of the stuff we had (Pink's clothes - which I had been selling every time she grew out of them, anyway - this time I just put all the extra $ toward my trip).  It worked - I've got enough.  Or I will, anyway, when the time comes to make the last payment (adding in my next couple of paychecks, etc).  

So starting in October we'll have a little bit of 'extra', but it won't really be extra lol... :)  I'd like to save some of it for spending money on the trip, and I'm going to be using it to make payments on my LASIK.  Beyond that, we will probably need to get a new vehicle sometime in the next 6 months (hoping our current one will last that long!!  :) ) - we have a 2005 chevrolet with 112000+ miles on it.  So what I make could pay a car payment... etc.  

On one hand, I'm SO GLAD to feel like there is a little breathing room there, but on the other hand I know things are just going to pop up that need to be paid for.  

If you decide to move, you might want to consider the cost of living.  If you make low wages, it is better not to live in high cost of living areas.  This website has a map that shows Cost of Living.

http://www.coli.org/

Given that you want to improve your financial position, I would not spend any money on a degree or education unless you knew it would specifically lead better paying job.  I think college is great and I would recommend it to anyone who can afford it.    But finishing a music degree without a specific plan to convert the degree into a salary doesn't make any sense when you are looking to improve your financial position in the short run.   

Suzie Orman or Dave Ramsey suggest taking on a paper route to help people make more income to get out of debt.   If you can figure out how a degree can be converted into a higher salary, then figure out how much the degree costs and how you can save up enough to pay for it.   Don't borrow if you can help it.  Don't quit your day jobs.   Get your degree in the evenings and weekends as much as possible.    

I definitely have no plans for a music degree.  I was just saying I have no intention of going back to school for anything else (I know that sounds really silly lol... I just see no point in spending the money to go to school for a job I would hate :).  And I can't really think of a job that I could go to school for that I wouldn't hate lol... it wouldn't be worth it.  (I can only really think of healthcare jobs off the top of my head, because that's the direction we've looked.  I feel like a lot of the other things that are out there aren't all that legit... though I can't for the life of me think of what they are at the moment.  By legit I mean I don't think that having a degree in them would count for anything when it comes to getting a job.)

DH would only go back to school to get a higher paying job.  He is not someone who has a passion for any particular field of work or anything - he works to live, if that makes sense.  He's willing to go into anything (again, he's looking into healthcare related fields), and I think he would be good at it.  I don't mean that in a negative way, and we don't see it as a negative thing - he'll be happy enough doing whatever, but he's just not one of those people who has a strong desire to be a (whatever).  

So for both of us, going back to school wouldn't happen at all if we didn't know (or were atleast quite sure) there would be a job that would be better for us at the end of it.

We moved for better opportunities and higher paying jobs.  We did our research and found a place we were interested in, researched the job market and cost of living, then started saving our money for the move (tough when we had three little kids).  Once we had the cash in savings, we started applying for jobs - doing the same thing, just in a new location and more pay.

It took some research and some patience - it was a year-long plan, not a "let's move tomorrow" thing. And it paid off with new jobs and a new place to live in the area we wanted to go.  Research is much easier these days with the internet on hand, so I think it mostly depends on whether this is something you really want (like your trip to Thailand).  If it's worth it, you will make it work out.

we live in an age of LOTS of online training in areas where we can test for certifications.   we're homeschoolers - we familiar with it for our kids - well, it's out there for adults too.  there are a lot of decent paying fields that don't require a college degree or years of apprenticeship.

there are programs out there that have online classes in preparation for cert exams.  you can do everything from your home.  some of the classes are live and you can ask questions while connected to everyone taking the class so you can also hear their questions.  others are at your convenience to sign on and complete the work.  you can take the cert exams online as well.  when you have the certs, you can contact employment agencies in areas that may be appealing and have those jobs.  doing the programs and completing them also tells potential employers/employment agencies that you are a self-starter because they do require discipline and self-motivation.

I also know people who are able to get into remote employment.   1dd works in a 24/7 environment.  her main "partner" telecommutes from his home in Cornwall. (her boss telecommutes from texas.)  she is also set up at home with a virtual computer lab so she can telecommute, even though she's four miles to her work.  

Networking seems to be the only thing that makes much of a difference, at least in our experience.  We first moved from a city with zero jobs to a town with more opportunities, and even then my dh had a long period of unemployment and had to get to know the people at the local workforce center, who worked with a contact at a temp agency to set up a temporary job opportunity through a state employment program, and then dh had to work his a** off to get the company to take him on as regular employee.  Then my dh had to work 50+ hour weeks for the next couple years to get his first promotion, to a supervisory position.  Now, finally, he makes enough for us to live on without abject terror at a flat tire or some other unforeseen expense.  He has also done a ton of extra training through his company to make sure that, if something should happen and he finds himself unemployed again, he'll be able to get another job.

If we hadn't moved, or didn't live in a town with a workforce center, or didn't live in a state with various employment programs, or if dh had some medical condition that didn't allow him to work himself to death, none of it could have happened.  It's hard all around for people right now, and so much is pure dumb luck.  :grouphug:

Networking seems to be the only thing that makes much of a difference, at least in our experience.  We first moved from a city with zero jobs to a town with more opportunities, and even then my dh had a long period of unemployment and had to get to know the people at the local workforce center, who worked with a contact at a temp agency to set up a temporary job opportunity through a state employment program, and then dh had to work his a** off to get the company to take him on as regular employee.  Then my dh had to work 50+ hour weeks for the next couple years to get his first promotion, to a supervisory position.  Now, finally, he makes enough for us to live on without abject terror at a flat tire or some other unforeseen expense.  He has also done a ton of extra training through his company to make sure that, if something should happen and he finds himself unemployed again, he'll be able to get another job.

If we hadn't moved, or didn't live in a town with a workforce center, or didn't live in a state with various employment programs, or if dh had some medical condition that didn't allow him to work himself to death, none of it could have happened.  It's hard all around for people right now, and so much is pure dumb luck.  :grouphug:

Networking is one of the biggest reasons that I question a move.  We live where DH grew up.  Networking got him his job.  It got us our house to rent.  His brother is a mechanic and because we 'know' the owners of the shop, we were able to have them bill us back in the day when we needed something big fixed on our old car.  

Different stuff like that.  A lot of people who say, 'Oh, you're (DH)'s wife?' or 'Oh, you're (FIL)'s daughter in law?'  

I don't know if it would make a difference.  But that and the free babysitting make me question moving sometimes. ;)

Sorry, but I have to ask. Why would you need a new vehicle in the next six months? A 2005 vehicle with 115k miles is far from over the hill. We drive two such vehicles, and I'm expecting them to last 5-10 more years. We save $200-$300 per month for when they need to be replaced, but that is years away. Our vehicles do have repair needs, more often than a new vehicle, but their repair needs are much less than a new vehicle would cost me. We save $150/month for repairs, and that covers three vehicles.

One big financial mistake people make is buying more vehicle than they need (which includes buying sooner than they need) AND having auto loans. Borrowing money for vehicles is not a wise financial move.

Save the money you would have spent on a vehicle to better your life. Moving takes money. Education takes money. You need money to get into a different spot.

The worst decision we ever made was getting a car loan so I agree with the above poster. Try to start saving a little bit and when your car does bites the dust hopefully you'll have enough to buy something.

Why would you have to move out of your current location in the future? (Just curious).

It sounds like you have a little time. Actively use it.

Figure out what you think you and/or dh might want to do work wise. Think multiple options. Don't immediately discount something tat requires a graduate degree because you don't have a BA. I also recommend Thomas Edison for finishing a BA. Many grad programs don't care what your BA is in. You don't have to finish it in music. Having a BA in anything helps your employability simply because some employers use that criteria to weed applicants before they look at actual skills.

Look at online programs for degree or certificate training in the fields you are interested.

Start.

Computer aided design is a pretty good job right now.  I know for a fact that good designers once you factor in OT make as much as engineers do.  If you are willing to contract and move around to find the jobs in the oil industry or in mining you are golden right now.  I have been in the oil industry in the past and my dh currently still is.  They can not find enough people right now with skills.

Beyond that, we will probably need to get a new vehicle sometime in the next 6 months (hoping our current one will last that long!!   :) ) - we have a 2005 chevrolet with 112000+ miles on it.  So what I make could pay a car payment... etc.

No, no, no, no. :-)

We have a 2007 with 328k miles on it, and a 2003 with 120k miles on it. We could "afford" 2 car payments, but have no desire to be back to thousands and thousands of dollars in car debt and be stuck in years and years of payments for something that will eventually also be a decade old and have a gabillion miles on it.

Didn't you say you both walk to work? What is a new vehicle going to do for your financial advancement?

Housing is key. We moved to a rural town because the housing prices were half of what we could get 30 minutes closer to town. 

College can be done online. Many B&M universities offer online classes/degree/certificates. I live 30 minutes from my current school. My classes are all online. 

Drive cars until they die. We generally get 180k to 250k out of a car before they die. Then we buy another decent used car. 

It really is simple, the big idea anyway: Incur debt only when necessary and as an investment, cut monthly expenses, increase monthly income. 

I agree with the previous posters.  Keep the car, take online classes.  IDK about the one posted, but Oregon State Online is also a real, accredited public university with affordable tuition and lots of choices.  I would look into something in the healthcare or tech industries if you are looking for money and stability.  Even if you hate it, if you work at it for awhile, it will really pay off until you can be somewhere you want to be.

Also, you're going to Thailand?  It might be best to save up the money from those sort of trips in case you do need to move and find a place.  Here a trip to Thailand would be worth about 4-8 months of rent at a decent place. And that's not for a family trip. I don't mean to be judgey, but that's somewhere to start.  Even some savings can make a huge difference in your financial worth.

Sorry, but I have to ask. Why would you need a new vehicle in the next six months? A 2005 vehicle with 115k miles is far from over the hill. We drive two such vehicles, and I'm expecting them to last 5-10 more years. We save $200-$300 per month for when they need to be replaced, but that is years away. Our vehicles do have repair needs, more often than a new vehicle, but their repair needs are much less than a new vehicle would cost me. We save $150/month for repairs, and that covers three vehicles.

One big financial mistake people make is buying more vehicle than they need (which includes buying sooner than they need) AND having auto loans. Borrowing money for vehicles is not a wise financial move.

Save the money you would have spent on a vehicle to better your life. Moving takes money. Education takes money. You need money to get into a different spot.

My thoughts exactly.  Our "youngest" car is a 2002 with 110K miles.  We also have a 1992 and a 1997, both with well over 100K miles.

We just bought the 2002 earlier this month.  We actually thought about getting a new car - seriously thought about it - but we just didn't want payments for 3 - 4 years when we could take our downpayment and outright buy the 2002.  So far, so good.  It'll take a couple of years before we truly know if it was the best choice (pending repairs), but right now, it's nice having NO car payments. We haven't had a car payment in a long time...

Otherwise, OP, see if your library has a copy of "What Color is Your Parachute?"  It's a book that talks about finding what you really want to do in life (has some ways to try to figure it out in it).  Decide upon that first, then figure out what you need (education, relocation, something else) to get there.

I just want to point out that in this thread, you've mentioned a trip to Thailand; LASIK; buying a new car; and borrowing money to attend college.  I would not do any of those if I really wanted to get ahead financially.

Have you considered apprenticeships or something similar that you or your husband could do that would permit you to earn while you train?  There is no way I would borrow money to attend an online college to get a degree in something that does not lead directly to a job.  History?  Psychology?  No way.  Education?  Maybe. 

That vehicle doesn't sound like it would need to be replaced too soon, but who knows?  If it's in need of serious repairs, it may not make financial sense to repair it.  Some vehicles last longer than others.  (Says the woman whose husband is currently commuting 500 miles a week in a vehicle with over 200,000 miles on it -- but we spent the money to put in an engine with less than half of that many miles, and it should be good for a couple more years.)

I agree with the others. If you spend less a year on repairs than you would on car payments then you come out ahead. You walk so it's not a big issue. Until we bought MILs 2006 toyota our newest vehicle was 11 years old and had over 100K on it. That vehicle (subaru forester) is 12 years old and I've put even more miles on it and it's going strong. 

Why would you need a new vehicle in the next six months? A 2005 vehicle with 115k miles is far from over the hill.

I agree - unless you've been driving without changing the oil, or something else to trash the engine, 115K miles is middle age in car years.

we can afford new cars.  we buy used cars because we get more car for our money.  we drive them until they die.  our kid car is over 20 years old and we repaired it last year instead of replacing it - it needs to last one or two more years and the repair was less than the car was worth.  dh just bought a "new" car that is 10 years old (but pristine.  the mechanic drooled and couldn't find anything but needing an oil change - which we knew.)  we saved tens of thousands of dollars vs buying a brand new car.

I fully agree - a trip to Thailand (unless you have immediate family there, and even then it's questionable unless there is a dying parent and this is the last chance to see them) is a *want*. LASIK is a *want*.  a "new" car is a *want*.  if you are this concerned about money - the first things you should be cutting are very expensive *wants*.  (some people will live extremely low so they can afford their "wants". - and that's okay, they aren't concerned about the money because they're saving it elsewhere.)

It sounds like you have a little time. Actively use it.

Figure out what you think you and/or dh might want to do work wise. Think multiple options. Don't immediately discount something tat requires a graduate degree because you don't have a BA. I also recommend Thomas Edison for finishing a BA. Many grad programs don't care what your BA is in. You don't have to finish it in music. Having a BA in anything helps your employability simply because some employers use that criteria to weed applicants before they look at actual skills.

Look at online programs for degree or certificate training in the fields you are interested.

Start.

i'm somewhat confused by your post.   a BA is an under-grad.  ba subject does matter if you want a decent paying job without  more specialized training. 

you can do music lessons without a degree - I've a friend who supports herself by teaching piano, she does fine.

I will add - dd is in a (4/5yrs) doctoral program.  there are people in her program who don't even have an undergrad. (though they have been working in the field.)  they took two years worth of classes to be able to meet the pre-reqs and then did the admissions tests.  they got in. 

If you want to get yourself into a situation where you'll make a lot more money it's going to suck and you're going to be poor college students for a while.

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that a regular old bachelor's degree isn't worth it.  There are a couple of options that are worth it - and they all involve STEM careers or healthcare in some way.

The shortest/cheapest option is to learn programming, create an online portfolio, and get a job in the field.  You don't have to have a degree for that, you just have to have the knowledge.  You can take programming classes for free on Udacity at your own pace. You can focus on programming jobs availible in the area, but chances are you're going to have to move. You can also pay $11,000 and go to a brief bootcamp to learn to program, I've seen a lot of articles on Dev Bootcamp, where apparently after a 9 week program 95% of graduates get job offers averaging 85K.  Here's a wikipedia entry on that:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dev_Bootcamp

Another option is moving to a town with a university and a community college and take maximum amount of student loans & financial aid available, also work part time jobs (delivering pizzas will get you about $15/hour, and potentially use something like food stamps for your family while you are there.  Go for studies that will lead to guaranteed jobs, start and get the prereqs done at a community college and then transfer to the university.

• Ultrasound or Radiology technician program  ($40-80K potential depending on type and area of the country)
  • Dental Assistant first then become a Dental Hygienist ($40-80K potential depending on type and area of the country)
  • Nursing  (generally CNA -> Hospital Patient Care Tech or LPN in a nursing home -> RN -> BSN -> Master's in Nursing to work in nursing management -> PhD to become a Nurse Practicioner)  (CNA's make about $8-10 bucks an hour, LPN's $10-15, RN's in the 60-70K range, Nurse practicioners can make upwards of $100K around here).  Keep in mind with this one that no matter what you read there is NOT a nursing shortage because during economic downturns like this one that affect men disproportionately, women with nursing degrees go back to work to make up for their husband's lost income, so you will probably have to spend a significant amount of time working in nursing homes wiping butts.  If you can find a university with an agreement with a certain hospital system to get a scholarship in return for agreeing to work for them for 2 years, take it.  You'll be guaranteed a job and can avoid student loans).
  • Computer Networking and Programming courses can be a good value at community colleges also.
  • Accounting is something that with a 2 year degree you can work as a bookkeeper for $15/hour, with an accounting degree you can work as an Accountant  in the $40-60K range, with a CPA you can make considerably more, depending on the sort of hours you want to work, if you open your own firm or work for someone else, and what sort of acccounting/finance/insurance/banking, etc, industry you work in.
  • Actuarial Science (or math or statistics) leads to jobs in the insurance industry as an Actuary.  I can't recall exactly what they make when they first graduate, but I think with a few actuarial exams they make more than $100K within 3 years of graduating (I want to say there's a $15K raise for each exam, but I don't remember).  You can also work for investment banking firms with degrees like that, but having an ex boyfriend who was an investment banker I can say it is NOT family friendly and I would NOT recommend that.
  • Computer Science or MIS - computer science is more on the programming side, MIS is more of the managing the programmers side.  These guys can work long hours but the starting salary exceeds $60K.
  • Engineering - there are multiple fields of engineering.  They require most of the courses for a math major, but pay really well.  Your GPA matters to your starting salary here. Electrical and Nuclear engineering pays the most straight out of school. Industrial Engineering is more of a combination of engineering and business and though the starting salary is around $60K they tend to get promoted into a business track rapidly, get their MBA's, and make $100K+ in five years, and finish their careers as factory managers or higher making $150K+.  I have a couple of college friends who work in Chemical and Civil engineering.  The Civil engineer ended up going back to graduate school to teach when the economy went down because he could no longer find work.  The chemical engineer works for a pharmaceutical company and I have no idea how his salary has grown.  Other people work in Computer (hardware) engineering.  Software engineering is just another title for computer programmers and many of them do not have degrees.
  • Then you have graduate degree paths: Business (MBA) or Healthcare/Hospital Administration pays well if you can find a job but a couple of tips- you have to be very careful which school you get into because it matters.  No-name MBA schools will not help you get a job.  Hospital Administration schools that don't have the proper accreditations do not matter.  I can't recall what the accreditations are, but you can check out job listings and see (I know one of the biggest programs in my last state was not accredited and their graduates could not work for the V.A, for example. So make sure the school is well known in your region and has great networking/job placement records before signing on to that.
  • Law school gets you a lot of debt and working very long hours.  I don't know what current starting salaries are for that.
  • Health career tracks to become a Physician/Dentist/Veterinarian obviously pay well, but there is a lot of debt involved and people in those careers don't tend to be very happy (they have very high suicide rates).  Also, it's challenging to get into those schools even if you have a 4.0, research experience, and a compelling story.

After you graduate, switch from student loans to Dave Ramsey's plan to pay off all your debt as soon as possible, then invest at least 15% of your income and you'll be doing extremely well. But it is a hard first 10 years.  After those 10 years you can live a life of relative luxury though.

i'm somewhat confused by your post.   a BA is an under-grad.  ba subject does matter if you want a decent paying job without  more specialized training. 

you can do music lessons without a degree - I've a friend who supports herself by teaching piano, she does fine.

I will add - dd is in a (4/5yrs) doctoral program.  there are people in her program who don't even have an undergrad. (though they have been working in the field.)  they took two years worth of classes to be able to meet the pre-reqs and then did the admissions tests.  they got in. 

There are many jobs, where the person's act ual ability to perform the job does not depend on having a degree or even the type of degree. BUT many employers use the fact having the degree (any degree) as a gate keeper in the hiring process. So, even if there  job requires none of the skills that one acquires getting a degree, a person without a degree will not even be considered for the job. Additionally, if a job is attained without a degree the may be no ability to get promotions without having a degree. I have seen this over and over with friends and family. My SIL was hired for very low pay because she has excellent writing skills and is fluent in another language. She could not get a promotion into a decent position with benefits until she got her general liberal arts degree from Thomas Edison. She still uses the same skills she had previously.

I have a friend who could not move into a management level position until he finished his degree--again in a subject completely unrelated to the field in which he was working. 

The OP has no plans to use a music degree. If she finishes her BA in a general liberal arts program like she can through Thomas Edison she will be able to check one more box that employers like to see before they interview applicants. Additionally, if she finds the field of work she is interested has a master's level requirement she will be a step closer. 

Finishing the degree is just one direction. She could also complete a specific certificate. Many certificate programs are available online. 

She needs to figure out the direction and start. She should not wait until it's clear her housing situation is not feasible (the OP said they couldnt live there forever). She should start moving forward with her training while her housing is still OK. 

We're concerned about the reliability of our car.  My first one (which we still had when we got married) died on the side of Interstate 64 close to VA beach during rush hour in August of 2005, when Link was 18 months old and I was pregnant with Astro.  Literally, died.  It was done.  It probably had -- idk--- 125-150,000 miles on it?  I have no idea.  But we never even brought it back home.  It was done and wasn't worth anything.

That's part of what we're worried about - should we go ahead and beat it dying on us, trade it in for a decent amount and get something decent in the meantime?  I don't care about the year - 2005 or whatever.  I care that it's the make/model it is with the mileage it has.  We drive to Missouri to visit family every other year.  We do always take care of our vehicles, but I want something reliable.  

We wouldn't be getting anything new.  I'd love to keep having no car payment.  I just worry about the feasibility of that, or me getting stranded in the city with the kids one day with no way to get home.

The worst decision we ever made was getting a car loan so I agree with the above poster. Try to start saving a little bit and when your car does bites the dust hopefully you'll have enough to buy something.

Why would you have to move out of your current location in the future? (Just curious).

Our house is owned by a local company (where we both work, actually - which is part of why we can't afford to live anywhere else, we have a great deal, etc) that will probably be expanding and building another building in the future.  There are 7 houses on our block and we are the only houses in the area - everything else is this place.  All but 3 of these houses are already owned by them.  

We have heard we probably have at least 5 years.  

I agree with the previous posters.  Keep the car, take online classes.  IDK about the one posted, but Oregon State Online is also a real, accredited public university with affordable tuition and lots of choices.  I would look into something in the healthcare or tech industries if you are looking for money and stability.  Even if you hate it, if you work at it for awhile, it will really pay off until you can be somewhere you want to be.

Also, you're going to Thailand?  It might be best to save up the money from those sort of trips in case you do need to move and find a place.  Here a trip to Thailand would be worth about 4-8 months of rent at a decent place. And that's not for a family trip. I don't mean to be judgey, but that's somewhere to start.  Even some savings can make a huge difference in your financial worth.

Yes, I kind of thought Thailand would come up.  

It's not on the table to not go.  I'm sure it sounds selfish or silly, or financially irresponsible.  I'm sure Dave Ramsey would cringe, but honestly I don't care much for him anyway so I don't care.  :D  Seriously though, if I hadn't decided to go to Thailand, I never would have started working.  I had no motivation to try to earn any extra income - everything seemed too complicated with our schedules, etc.  It wasn't until I had something that I had always wanted to do that I was finally doing that I kind of got my groove back, so to speak.  In the end, I'll still be keeping these jobs once the trip is paid for - and that wouldn't have happened otherwise.  

I just want to point out that in this thread, you've mentioned a trip to Thailand; LASIK; buying a new car; and borrowing money to attend college.  I would not do any of those if I really wanted to get ahead financially.

Have you considered apprenticeships or something similar that you or your husband could do that would permit you to earn while you train?  There is no way I would borrow money to attend an online college to get a degree in something that does not lead directly to a job.  History?  Psychology?  No way.  Education?  Maybe. 

Lasik is another thing that in the end I don't think will be costing us any more in the long run than what I currently have to deal with.  And again, I never would have felt free to do it if I hadn't started working and earning enough money to easily pay for it myself.  It's another thing that isn't on the table to not do, anymore than running my 5k next week or going to Thailand.  I also kind of figured it would come up, and my reasons are the same as those for Thailand.  :)  These expenses don't concern me too much, and like I said, the income that I'm paying for these with doesn't affect our daily lives - it was all extra earned just for these purposes.  So I don't feel bad about it at all.

I already addressed the car issue, but I do want to point out we wouldn't buy 'new'.  :)

I don't recall saying we'd borrow money for college, though maybe I did?  I didn't mean for that to be implied, in any case.  I believe we would qualify for grants to cover any college expenses.  Anything beyond that we might pay out of pocket - I can't imagine it being much.  

I don't recall saying we'd borrow money for college, though maybe I did?  I didn't mean for that to be implied, in any case.  I believe we would qualify for grants to cover any college expenses.  Anything beyond that we might pay out of pocket - I can't imagine it being much.  

The thing about healthcare and STEM careers is that it's really difficult to work more than 10 hours per week while going to school and still do well.  You can't fake your way through those fields, there are exams and sometimes licenses and they are difficult and you have several children and emergencies are going to happen.  If you can get the grants to cover the classroom that's one thing, but I doubt you're also going to get stipends to cover housing, medical insurance, food, transportation, medical costs, clothing, and all the other expenses that come with having children and living off campus. I'd be really surprised if anyone, even someone brilliant, could do well in those fields, still be a good parent, and still manage to work full time.  There just aren't enough hours in the day and something would have to give.

The thing about healthcare and STEM careers is that it's really difficult to work more than 10 hours per week while going to school and still do well.  You can't fake your way through those fields, there are exams and sometimes licenses and they are difficult and you have several children and emergencies are going to happen.  If you can get the grants to cover the classroom that's one thing, but I doubt you're also going to get stipends to cover housing, medical insurance, food, transportation, medical costs, clothing, and all the other expenses that come with having children and living off campus. I'd be really surprised if anyone, even someone brilliant, could do well in those fields, still be a good parent, and still manage to work full time.  There just aren't enough hours in the day and something would have to give.

You could do Information Systems part time and that can start you down a path for a good paying job. Healthcare, maybe if you do your EMT in steps to become a paramedic, but most nursing and radiology programs do NOT offer part time or night/weekend courses. 

OP, it really sounds like you are already well on the way to improving your quality of life.  Thailand, the LASIK surgery, even the possibility of being able to get a new car - those are all things that are improvements over where you were before.  You have set these as a goal and are getting them done. Good for you!

If you want, you could look at a more long term plan and start saving for some specific goals after these short-term things are met - maybe a new place to live or money for college.  Or whatever it is that will make your family's life better.  Lots of good ideas in these posts about longer term saving strategies, but it sounds like you recognize that it has to be something important to YOU before it will get done.

OP, it really sounds like you are already well on the way to improving your quality of life.  Thailand, the LASIK surgery, even the possibility of being able to get a new car - those are all things that are improvements over where you were before.  You have set these as a goal and are getting them done. Good for you!

I agree as long as these are being paid for and not accumulating debt (if I read things correctly, they are being paid for).

Life is not all about accumulating wealth.  A good part of it is the journey. 

We could have far more wealth if we had chosen not to travel, but I prefer less wealth and more experiences (while still making sure the bills are paid).

The "What Color is Your Parachute" book could still be a good read if figuring out where to go next.  You can skip chapters that don't really apply.  I read through a good part of it while waiting for kids who were testing...

• Actuarial Science (or math or statistics)
 Engineering - there are multiple fields of engineering.  They require most of the courses for a math major, but pay really well. Then you have graduate degree paths: Business (MBA) or Healthcare/Hospital Administration pays well if you can find a job but a couple of tips- you have to be very careful which school you get into because it matters. 

we've a friend who is an actuary. yes, they make a lot.  you need to be *really good* with numbers. 

I've several engineers among friends and in my family. (civil and mechanical are regarded as they couldn't cut "real" engineering)  there is a big pecking order among engineers.  salaries range considerably.  chemical engineers have the shortest lifespan - but they are among the top earners.   my nephew got a job in computer engineering with nothing but a bs making six figures upon graduation

you will need math up through and past differential equations.  You will need hard lab sciences, especially physics.  most engineering programs take five years.  I know one who did it in four years - he lived in the lab.

My feeling is no pain no gain. Bite your teeth and take few years move to somewhere that both of you and your hubby can go to school.

I have a friend is going through it now. She was my DD's daycare teacher. We keep in touch after my DD left the daycare. She has 3 kids, single Mom. iN NY, you can apply for free medical for kids, and she took WIC assistance. She is in nurse school, took a part time job in the hospital, babysit 2 days a week, and she does photographer on the side. I have A LOT respect for this lady. I have never heard her complaint, she makes everything possible for her kids, she never whine how hard is her life and always grateful for help. If a single mom with 3 young kids (4, 7, and 8) can do it. You can do it.

There are many jobs, where the person's act ual ability to perform the job does not depend on having a degree or even the type of degree. BUT many employers use the fact having the degree (any degree) as a gate keeper in the hiring process. So, even if there  job requires none of the skills that one acquires getting a degree, a person without a degree will not even be considered for the job.

You said 

Don't immediately discount something tat requires a graduate degree because you don't have a BA.

I guarantee someone asking for a grad degree will not talk to someone with no degree.  (there is too much on the line.)

there is a difference between graduate degrees and undergrad degrees (re: BA). I agree you can have experience and not have the undergrad degree.  - however, most jobs go through HR and they automatically screen for those things because HR isn't known for actually knowing what to look for on a resume - especially in a more technical field.  it's a quick way to screen.

there are employment agencies that specialize in particular fields and they can do that screening (often more efficiently than HR) and then pass the name onto the hiring manager.

You said

I guarantee someone asking for a grad degree will not talk to someone with no degree.

there is a difference between graduate degrees and undergrad degrees (re: BA). I agree you can have experience and not have the undergrad degree. - however, most jobs go through HR and they automatically screen for those things because HR isn't known for actually knowing what to look for on a resume - especially in a more technical field. it's a quick way to screen.

there are employment agencies that specialize in particular fields and they can do that screening (often more efficiently than HR) and then pass the name onto the hiring manager.

You misunderstood my point. I was trying to say (I guess not clearly enough), that the op could still think about preparing for a career that requires a grad degree. She has to start by getting a BA. It will not be hard to finish her BA since she has started one already. Then she can get into a Masters program if she wishes. My point was not to think "well, I can't do that because it requires Masters and I'm not done my BA." She can get her BA done and still proceed to her masters, if the field she desires work in requires that. Since the OP does not appear pressed to get income immediately, needs to figure out a long term plan she should not think higher degrees are not possible.

I did not mean to say apply for jobs requiring masters or higher now, if that is how you interpreted it.

I did not mean to say apply for jobs requiring masters or higher now, if that is how you interpreted it.

that is how it came across by the way it was worded.

she doesn't even have to finish a bachelors to apply for a master's or greater program, she just has to meet the requirements of admittance.  (even if she had a ba/bs, she'd still have to meet the requirements of admittance) 

in 2dd's doctoral program there are people who don't have a bachelor's degree in anything. (not sure if they have an AA/AS).  you just have to do the pre-reqs and pass the entrance tests.  she told me the pre-reqs were about two years worth of classes (doesn't matter if they had any degree or not - they had to have studied specific classes in math, chemistry and biology.  and public speaking.).   dd has an undergrad in chem and minor in bio  - she still had to take a speech class as an admission requirement.  we laughed very hard over that one . . . . . (you have to know 2dd - she could give the pied piper lessons in getting people to follow).

I think you want to improve your earning potential, not your financial worth.

You are spending a lot of money on things *I* would love to do, but don't because they are expensive.  You can look online to find out what kinds of repairs you are likely to need on your particular vehicle with its amount of kms/miles.  You are probably fine. 

If my husband were making $15/hr, I can't IMAGINE how it would be in any way reasonable to throw around the kind of money you are throwing around.  The money you make on the side would be family money just like what he earns, wouldn't it? 

I understand needing motivation and doing something for yourself.  You are doing a lot of things for yourself and spending a lot of money.  That's fine, but it is not how you accumulate wealth.

Improving your earning potential would be done by adding skills (that people want to pay for) to your toolbox.  If you are in a particular industry, then skills that would advance you in that industry. 

Also, FWIW, my brother found that dressing more professionally (and cutting his hair), led to a substanial increase in his income and ability to get higher paid jobs.  Fair or not, a tie to work every day made a huge difference for him.

Seriously though, if I hadn't decided to go to Thailand, I never would have started working.  I had no motivation to try to earn any extra income - everything seemed too complicated with our schedules, etc.  It wasn't until I had something that I had always wanted to do that I was finally doing that I kind of got my groove back, so to speak.  In the end, I'll still be keeping these jobs once the trip is paid for - and that wouldn't have happened otherwise.  

Lasik is another thing that in the end I don't think will be costing us any more in the long run than what I currently have to deal with.  And again, I never would have felt free to do it if I hadn't started working and earning enough money to easily pay for it myself. r Thailand. 

Improving your net worth doesn't involve traveling to Thailand, buying another car, and getting Lasik. This goes double if the salary your family is earning is not very high. 

The above statement of "I had no motivation to earn extra income..." is also not a way to improve financial net worth. Improving one's financial situation, unless an inheritance is coming your way, involves careful planning and lots of hard work and plenty of motivation. It almost always requires education or a skill that is in demand. 

There just aren't enough hours in the day and something would have to give.

True story.

I am finishing midwifery school and the time required is basically my waking hours. Everything else doesn't get done like it would, including my schoolwork, which I could focus on if I didn't have to feed children, watch the baby, educate children, etc. Forget taking care of the house. At this point, I basically leave that up to dh and the kids.

I've several engineers among friends and in my family. (civil and mechanical are regarded as they couldn't cut "real" engineering)  there is a big pecking order among engineers.  salaries range considerably.  chemical engineers have the shortest lifespan - but they are among the top earners.   my nephew got a job in computer engineering with nothing but a bs making six figures upon graduation

you will need math up through and past differential equations.  You will need hard lab sciences, especially physics.  most engineering programs take five years.  I know one who did it in four years - he lived in the lab.

This has not been my experience at all.  I am a Civil and my dh is an electrical engineer.  I have a BS and he has a masters.  Our pay was very close when I left the workforce and we had about the same number of years of experience.  All engineers joke with each other about what they do, but I have never seen any real pecking order involving based on what discipline you are in. 

The other thing I have found is that pay varies greatly by industry not by engineering discipline so much.

We both took calc 1,2, and 3 and differential equations and I took 3 semesters of physics.  Dh took much more physics but his BA was not in Engineering.  I switched majors or I probably would have completed in 4 - 4 1/2 years not 5.

This has not been my experience at all.  I am a Civil and my dh is an electrical engineer.  I have a BS and he has a masters.  Our pay was very close when I left the workforce and we had about the same number of years of experience.  All engineers joke with each other about what they do, but I have never seen any real pecking order involving based on what discipline you are in. 

The other thing I have found is that pay varies greatly by industry not by engineering discipline so much.

We both took calc 1,2, and 3 and differential equations and I took 3 semesters of physics.  Dh took much more physics but his BA was not in Engineering.  I switched majors or I probably would have completed in 4 - 4 1/2 years not 5.

Same here - well, except my hubby is the Civil Engineer. My major was Physics (and Psych).  I've never seen a pecking order and pay tends to vary with location.

We're concerned about the reliability of our car.  My first one (which we still had when we got married) died on the side of Interstate 64 close to VA beach during rush hour in August of 2005, when Link was 18 months old and I was pregnant with Astro.  Literally, died.  It was done.  It probably had -- idk--- 125-150,000 miles on it?  I have no idea.  But we never even brought it back home.  It was done and wasn't worth anything.

That's part of what we're worried about - should we go ahead and beat it dying on us, trade it in for a decent amount and get something decent in the meantime?  I don't care about the year - 2005 or whatever.  I care that it's the make/model it is with the mileage it has.  We drive to Missouri to visit family every other year.  We do always take care of our vehicles, but I want something reliable.  

We wouldn't be getting anything new.  I'd love to keep having no car payment.  I just worry about the feasibility of that, or me getting stranded in the city with the kids one day with no way to get home.

Our house is owned by a local company (where we both work, actually - which is part of why we can't afford to live anywhere else, we have a great deal, etc) that will probably be expanding and building another building in the future.  There are 7 houses on our block and we are the only houses in the area - everything else is this place.  All but 3 of these houses are already owned by them.  

We have heard we probably have at least 5 years.  

Yes, I kind of thought Thailand would come up.  

It's not on the table to not go.  I'm sure it sounds selfish or silly, or financially irresponsible.  I'm sure Dave Ramsey would cringe, but honestly I don't care much for him anyway so I don't care.   :D  Seriously though, if I hadn't decided to go to Thailand, I never would have started working.  I had no motivation to try to earn any extra income - everything seemed too complicated with our schedules, etc.  It wasn't until I had something that I had always wanted to do that I was finally doing that I kind of got my groove back, so to speak.  In the end, I'll still be keeping these jobs once the trip is paid for - and that wouldn't have happened otherwise.  

Lasik is another thing that in the end I don't think will be costing us any more in the long run than what I currently have to deal with.  And again, I never would have felt free to do it if I hadn't started working and earning enough money to easily pay for it myself.  It's another thing that isn't on the table to not do, anymore than running my 5k next week or going to Thailand.  I also kind of figured it would come up, and my reasons are the same as those for Thailand.   :)  These expenses don't concern me too much, and like I said, the income that I'm paying for these with doesn't affect our daily lives - it was all extra earned just for these purposes.  So I don't feel bad about it at all.

I already addressed the car issue, but I do want to point out we wouldn't buy 'new'.   :)

Can't speak for what choices you should make regarding trips or surgical procedures or whatnot.  My simple answer is if your dh is spending his money paying for day-to-day living expenses, and you are spending yours on non-essentials, then there is no money left to improve your financial situation.

It takes money (and time and commitment) to make money.

If you or dh go back to college, it will take money.  And it's a risk, because an awful lot of degrees are worth little more than a $35K position.  So, if you go this route, do your homework and research some of the in-demand jobs.  Katy gave a good list of suggestions.  Be aware, though, that STEM fields are typically not hiring off "online degrees," simply because of lot of them require labs or residencies or preceptorships. Also, a lot of online programs are not cheap--especially the for-profit schools--and tend to be more expensive than local state schools.

Right now, we are in the building stage.  Four years ago, dh made about the same as yours.  I went back to college, finished my B.S., while working part time (third shift), and teaching ds.  Now, I'm working and making in the 70-80K range, and dh is going back to school to be a pharmacist. 

Is it hard work?  Hell yes.  But it's doable, because we are living in a large city where there are multiple options for public universities, with public transit, so we don't have to have a second car, and I'm still working third shift, so that means I can be home during the day to continue to help school ds.

We have not had a real vacation in 3 years, although we do choose to spend money on ds' hockey.  We rent, because we do not feel comfortable taking on more debt while dh is in school. And while he is in school, it's like we're both students, because my own training means I'm dh's study partner.

However, given the excellent prospects for employment and income for pharmacists, dh and I both are excited about the possibilities his new profession may afford us. 

So to answer your question if how to improve one's financial situation: have realistic plans, be willing to follow through, and be flexible. Most important -- be willing to make those hard choices. 

Thanks, everyone, for your input!

I know that the two things that I'm planning on may seem strange or even inappropriate to some (Lasik and Thailand - the car is something I'm not sure we can get away from), and that's fine.  Everyone is different.  Everyone has differen priorities.  :)

I have every intention of using the money I make toward us as a family starting in October, minus the 150ish/month for Lasik and some that I'll set aside for spending money for the trip.  And I may end up paying that off early, so really this is a very small span of time during which all of my income has gone toward my trip to Thailand (started babysitting in May and working my other job in July, trip will be paid off the end of September). 

I'm particularly thankful for the posts about the logistics of it (as opposed to judgment of our current situation and my financial choices. ;) Though I know that by opening up online, there were bound to be some who didn't agree or found my decisions irresponsible, so it doesn't bother me, it just isn't particularly helpful.  :) ) because that is what I'm trying to figure out the most.  the money part (paying for school, etc) is something that doesn't concern me as much because we'll figure all that out if we have the opportunity, but right now we can't even figure out how to get the opportunity.  :)  But, like I said, the suggestions for online and other things are very helpful - Thank you for those! 

I forgot to quote the PP who said something about a shirt and tie - unfortunately, DH is not in a field of work where that is even an option.  He has a uniform lol.  :) 

I forgot to quote the PP who said something about a shirt and tie - unfortunately, DH is not in a field of work where that is even an option.  He has a uniform lol.  :)

How to tell you need more coffee?  I read your last statement as "He has a unicorn, lol."  I thought he had the coolest job!  FYI - If he rode in to work on a unicorn, he could def. get a raise. :)

I may have missed if this was already addressed but can you start investing the money you make after you pay for your Lasik, trip and car?  If you are making enough to pay for those you should be able to start investing a lot afterwards. 

I'm sorry but it sounds like you want a way to earn extra money just so you can do the fun stuff without having to put in a lot of time or energy.  Unfortunately it doesn't work that way.   Your goals seem very short-term.

Edited because I just read your latest post about the trip being pretty much paid for.

[quote name="PeacefulChaos" post="5168228" timestamp="

I'm particularly thankful for the posts about the logistics of it (as opposed to judgment of our current situation and my financial choices. ;) Though I know that by opening up online, there were bound to be some who didn't agree or found my decisions irresponsible, so it doesn't bother me, it just isn't particularly helpful. :)

IMHO, those posters were not being judgemental or calling you irresponsible, they were answering your question, which was, "How do you improve your financial worth?" Financial worth and earning potential are two different things. Generally, one does not increase one's financial worth by spending money on non-essentials. Perhaps those posters were just trying to be helpful by answering the question you asked.

IMHO, those posters were not being judgemental or calling you irresponsible, they were answering your question, which was, "How do you improve your financial worth?" Financial worth and earning potential are two different things. Generally, one does not increase one's financial worth by spending money on non-essentials. Perhaps those posters were just trying to be helpful by answering the question you asked.

Yeah, I wish I would have been able to come up with the right words when I started the thread.  :)  I tried to figure out what it was I was asking, and couldn't think of anything better than financial worth. 

Earning potential describes it much better - I so wish I'd have thought of it at the time! 

we've a friend who is an actuary. yes, they make a lot.  you need to be *really good* with numbers. 

Actuaries can have great jobs and make a ton, but I agree, you really have to be a math genius.  My MIT educated cousin who was working on his Math PhD switched to Actuarial because of family reasons (long story), but it is really very demanding.