Menu

Our auto insurance carrier told us ours went up $400 because

4everHis

In Michigan we pay outrageous insurance rates to cover medical (unlimited, lifetime coverage of injuries that occurred in an accident). I think it's BS but we don't have a choice.

Yes. It is $2000/6 months for 2 cars. One is 2008 and the other 2009. Collision for both is only half of that total.

In Michigan we pay outrageous insurance rates to cover medical (unlimited, lifetime coverage of injuries that occurred in an accident). I think it's BS but we don't have a choice.

We are in Michigan and this is a very well known national carrier. $400 is a HUGE jump though.

Homeowner's insurance is up.  Car insurance is up.  Medical insurance is up.  And I've been warned that my health-savings-account is about to be axed by the government (this is not a rumor - it was in a letter from the insurance co.) because I save too much money by avoiding taxes on my healthcare.  

All of ours is up too, but this seemed such a huge jump and when dh questioned our 'man' this was the reason he gave. 

We switched about a year ago because our rates jumped a bit, but with the switch we pay less than $100/month now. They've pretty much stayed the same for the year since we've switched. Our homeowner's insurance hasn't jumped either. We pay little for health insurance monthly but we cannot use it because if we do it's mostly all out of pocket and it's just too expensive.

My car insurance has been the same give or take $10 (it goes up and down depending on time of year) for the last 5 year.  We have State Farm.  Our home owner's insurance actually went down about $100 last year but that was because they got rid of the $500 deductible for all clients and now only have $1000 deductible. I'm fine with this as long as next year it doesn't get hiked back up to what it was with the $500 deductible (I fear it will)

We just did our car insurance renewal last month. It went down about $10/month. Our premium for our homeowners went up by about $30/year, which is great, since our home value went up quite a bit (and yes, the insurer is aware of that).

Liberty Mutual and it has not gone up.  We have a leased 2013 Honda Accord, a 2007 Jeep Liberty with a loan, and a paid off Suburban with just the minimum required coverage.  Oh yeah, and a teenage driver.  We pay $2,800 per year and that's actually cheaper than when we had NJ Manufacturers (which is theoretically only open to certain people and is supposed to be the cheapest).

Our automotive insurance went down a few bucks on the last go around.  Homeowners and flood insurance are going up because I am coastal.  While many politicians don't acknowledge climate change, the insurers are preparing for more hurricanes. 

(Small point for clarity:  flood insurance is a federal program since private insurers won't risk it.)

Allstate is who we were with when we switched (we had been with them for more than 10 years and had zero claims). They raised our rates significantly and since my dh is in the insurance business he knew it was bogus. We're saving a lot of money now that we switched and I actually wished we had done it earlier.

About 1.5 years ago we had our car insurance rates go up (Progressive) significantly. The homeowners was with another company (AutoOwners) and didn't change. Progressive just said the costs went up in our location. We switched to State Farm. There have been no changes to our homeowners or auto with State Farm. I'd price new companies.