Menu

explain "rising"

There seems to be a new trend using the word "rising" in conjunction with a grade level.  What does that mean? Rising as opposed to what?  Stagnating?  Plateauing? Dwindling?  Sinking?

I assume every child in a grade level is progressing at some sort of rate, so how is "rising" any different than "not completed the grade level yet"? I think there's something here I'm missing or my assumptions are way off.

A "rising second grader" has completed first grade but hasn't started second grade.  A child would be a "rising second grader" the summer between first grade and second grade.  Once school starts, the child would simply be a second grader.

Yep.  It's just a shorter version of that long hemming and hawing response you usually have to give when someone asks what a grade a child is in before the school year starts.

I think I used this term for the first time yesterday, lol. I've seen it on other forums a few times and wanted to indicate that my son hasn't started 10th grade yet, as we don't officially begin a new school year until September. 

Here the term "rising" is only used by the libraries for their summer program and for summer camps.  Everyone else tend to just ask what grade the child will be in for fall.  I guess the direct opposite of "rising" is grade retention.  There are students who repeat a grade in my school district.

Around here it is commonly used when describing grade levels for summer programs of all kinds---camps, library, rec centers, etc--to differentiate between, say, a child who has completed 5th grade and one who is entering 5th grade in the fall. A program "for rising 5th graders" is for the latter. It's been commonly used as long as I can remember. I see it as a completely neutral descriptive term that's easier, takes less space, and sounds better than saying, "For children who will be in the 8th grade in the fall."

I agree "will be going into" is a mouthful, but I'm trying to figure out how

"She is a rising 2nd grader."

is any shorter than

"She will be in second grade."

The second option has fewer syllables and uses less confusing terminology. 

No need to use "will be going into" or "in the fall" or whatever else....

:tongue_smilie:

is any shorter than

what about advertising for camps, classes, meetings, etc for specific grades? "kids who will be in second grade" is much harder/wordy/etc. than "rising 2nd graders"

what about advertising for camps, classes, meetings, etc for specific grades? "kids who will be in second grade" is much harder/wordy/etc. than "rising 2nd graders"

Considering there are many who have only ever heard the word used here, and probably many more who have never heard it at all, I would think it would be a poor choice for marketing.  Why would you want to confuse prospective customers?

Every time I read that expression I get a mental image of kids rising from the dead!  I know, strange---but true...

is any shorter than

My rising 2nd grader will be...

My Dd, who is going into 2nd grade, will be...

I like the term.  I was familiar with it outside the forum, though. 

I think it's confusing for some parents though.  I mean, for summer camps, you're often registering in January or February your current third grader, except at the time of the camp, she'll be a fourth grader, or a rising fourth grader.  Except that some camps and sports go by previous grade - our ballet school does for summer programs, for example.  So I find it useful when they're more clear.

Considering there are many who have only ever heard the word used here, and probably many more who have never heard it at all, I would think it would be a poor choice for marketing.  Why would you want to confuse prospective customers?

Every time I read that expression I get a mental image of kids rising from the dead!  I know, strange---but true...

Are you actually encountering it in marketing in your area? From the discussion, it seems that it is used as such primarily in certain areas where it is in common usage and understood. I would presume that those who've only encountered it here are indeed not seeing it in marketing in their area, so I don't get the issue. I can see that it might be confusing to someone unfamiliar with the term who moves into a different area and encounters it for the first time, but that shouldn't be unexpected. Every region will have its quirks and figures of speech.

If it's usage in the forums or conversation that's annoying, well, honestly, with posters from all over the world, I'd be more surprised (and disappointed) if I didn't run across different ways of referring to something. You figure out what the poster means and move on or, if it's useful, perhaps you adopt the terminology yourself---either way, it's good.

I think it's confusing for some parents though.  I mean, for summer camps, you're often registering in January or February your current third grader, except at the time of the camp, she'll be a fourth grader, or a rising fourth grader.  Except that some camps and sports go by previous grade - our ballet school does for summer programs, for example.  So I find it useful when they're more clear.

IMO, "rising" is used to provide exactly that clarification. If it says "third grade" it means someone currently in 3rd grade, if it says "rising 3rd grader" it means someone who will be in third grade next year. I have to admit I've not encountered any camps that are based on the previous year's grade.

IMO, "rising" is used to provide exactly that clarification. If it says "third grade" it means someone currently in 3rd grade, if it says "rising 3rd grader" it means someone who will be in third grade next year. I have to admit I've not encountered any camps that are based on the previous year's grade.

Oh, I agree.  Sorry, I realize the way I put it was unclear.  I think it's useful to provide that clarification so I can't see why anyone would be annoyed by it.

I think you have it right, but it's a term I find annoying.  Probably just me.

LOL, we all have terms that bug us. I hate the term "going forward". It was REALLY popular for a year or two and I couldn't hear a news story without them using it. Now my current least favorite is "reach out" to mean "call/email/talk to" someone. My husband uses is CONSTANTLy and it drives me batty. He loves jargon and picks it up from work. So if he wanted to get a former coworker's opinion he would say "I'm going to reach out to Bob Smith" instead of "I'm going to give Bob Smith a call" or "I need to talk to Bob Smith" or whatever. Makes me twitch. I can see how rising would be the same way. I've heard it for years, so it doesn't bug me, but I can see how it would be in that same category. 

Are you actually encountering it in marketing in your area?

I have never seen it in marketing, never heard it spoken, only read it here on this forum.  I was responding to the poster who asked specifically about using the term for advertising. 

From the discussion, it seems that it is used as such primarily in certain areas where it is in common usage and understood. I would presume that those who've only encountered it here are indeed not seeing it in marketing in their area, so I don't get the issue. I can see that it might be confusing to someone unfamiliar with the term who moves into a different area and encounters it for the first time, but that shouldn't be unexpected. Every region will have its quirks and figures of speech.

I think you have misunderstood my posts, or maybe I have misunderstood yours.  It's not an 'issue', we were just having a discussion.

If it's usage in the forums or conversation that's annoying, well, honestly, with posters from all over the world, I'd be more surprised (and disappointed) if I didn't run across different ways of referring to something. You figure out what the poster means and move on or, if it's useful, perhaps you adopt the terminology yourself---either way, it's good.

Of course we will run into different terms online and in life.  Among others, 'rising' is one I personally find mildly annoying.  I'm not on a crusade to end it's usage.  There are more important things to think about.

ETA: I'm with Katie on 'reach out'!  Maybe a thread with expressions that bug people would be interesting.

Of course we will run into different terms online and in life.  Among others, 'rising' is one I personally find mildly annoying.  I'm not on a crusade to end it's usage.  There are more important things to think about.

ETA: I'm with Katie on 'reach out'!  Maybe a thread with expressions that bug people would be interesting.

It might be - but it also may be a source of hurting other people's feelings and God knows we have enough of that here sometimes....

Ridiculous, but I have been thinking about the term and I think people are confused by it if they have never encountered it before for several reasons.  It makes them wonder if the child is rising into the grade mentioned or rising out of the grade mentioned.  And I am fairly sure I have seen posters using it as a term meaning that their child is in the middle of a certain grade.  So there you have 3 possible meanings for the term.  Add in the fact that many homeschoolers school year round and there is the potential for lots of confusion.  

I think people who have never heard it like it, make assumptions about what it means and then begin using it.  Then we have people using it for all three situations and it isn't always clear what they mean by it.

Anyway..off to think about more important things, like planning for the school year and exercising.

It might be - but it also may be a source of hurting other people's feelings and God knows we have enough of that here sometimes....

I guess, but why on earth would anyone get upset about me being annoyed by a word?  We all have our preferences.  It's a word, not a person.  I am sure I use many terms that annoy others. 

I didn't say 'it might be fun to make derogatory statements about people who use specific terms'.  

I guess, but why on earth would anyone get upset about me being annoyed by a word?  We all have our preferences.  It's a word, not a person.  I am sure I use many terms that annoy others. 

I didn't say 'it might be fun to make derogatory statements about people who use specific terms'.  

I know you didn't, but from personal experience online, someone will take it there. :(

I know you didn't, but from personal experience online, someone will take it there. :(

Well, things must be changing here then b/c we had quite a thread last year (I think) about grammar mistakes that bug you.  It did not get ugly that I remember.  

If topics are going to be limited to only what no one can take to extremes, then we have very little left to discuss.

Back to OP's question about 'rising', though I think the question has already been answered..

Well, things must be changing here then b/c we had quite a thread last year (I think) about grammar mistakes that bug you.  It did not get ugly that I remember.  

If topics are going to be limited to only what no one can take to extremes, then we have very little left to discuss.

Back to OP's question about 'rising', though I think the question has already been answered..

Sorry to have brought anything up at all.  Carry on. 

(didn't read all replies)

I detest the phrase "Rising nth grader."  When a student completes a grade, they are finished with it.  If they failed/were held back, they didn;t finish, and are still their present grade.

When Diamond graduated, she wasn't a rising college student, she was a high school graduate, and the day they toook one penny from us she was a college student, even if her classes didn;t start until yesterday. :leaving:

This reminds me of the scene (I think Ramona Quimby, Age 8, but they all run together for me) in which Ramona discusses what grade she's in during the summertime. First grade is done, second grade hasn't started.

We've told our kids that they're in whatever grade they want to be. Thus, my preschooler claims to be in college! Grade level isn't that useful for our homeschooling needs.

I think people who have never heard it like it, make assumptions about what it means and then begin using it.  Then we have people using it for all three situations and it isn't always clear what they mean by it.

That's what happens with "boxed curriculum" and "language arts." :leaving:

That's what happens with "boxed curriculum" and "language arts." :leaving:

I thought it happened to the word "curriculum" (I vaguely recall a discussion about it that occurred some time ago on the forum) so now I always feel awkward using the word - even while not feeling awkward about misusing "boxed curriculum".

And I always forget what "language arts" is supposed to mean.

I don't think I ever heard this word used in this way until a couple of years ago. Now you hear it all the time. What's wrong with "Johnny will be a 3rd grader" or "He's going into 3rd grade?"

It's much easier to type "rising 5th grader" than all that on an iPhone ;)

I really like the term rising. I find in July when you ask "What grade are you in?" about half of kids say the grade they finished last and about half say the grade they will be in next. Parents do the same. The term rising X grader takes away the ambiguity. I love clarity :).

I thought it happened to the word "curriculum" (I vaguely recall a discussion about it that occurred some time ago on the forum) so now I always feel awkward using the word - even while not feeling awkward about misusing "boxed curriculum".

And I always forget what "language arts" is supposed to mean.

Homeschoolers tend to misuse "curriculum," but it isn't as confusing as "boxed curriculum" or "language arts." I'd explain "boxed curriculum," but I haven't figured it out myself. "Language arts" means anything which relates to literacy: grammar, composition, spelling, vocabulary, reading/literature, learning-to-read, penmanship. People will say they need help choosing "language arts" when what they mean is that they need help in choosing something to teach their children to read or spell or whatnot. :-)

I find it annoying, too. When my kids finish a grade, they are simply in the next grade. After they finished 4th grade, they were 5th graders. Who cares if it's summer break?

except they aren't.  My son finished K in May. But he doesn't become a 1st grader in our church's eyes until Sunday August 25.

He was ineligible for many camps this summer for the same reason -- they wanted kids who had completed 1st grade, not just about to start.