Menu

Share your last 3 awesome read alouds?

Guest ForGrace

I have 5 and 10 year old girls and we just finished Pippi Longstocking.  They were sad to see it end and were thrilled to learn there are more books.

Tomorrow we start The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate.

The Wind in the Willows- I can't believe I never read this book during my childhood- it was fabulous!  All of my kids loved it.

The Jungle Book- another one I never read & we all loved.

Last year we read My Indian Boyhood by Ohiyesa.   Awesome book about a boy Sioux boy who grew up with his tribe & then was sent to the the white schools as a teenager.   As an adult he wrote about what it was like to grow up with the Sioux- family life, games, tribal customs, hunting, etc.  

Island of the Blue Dolphin(we're naming our next dog Rontu)

Johnny Tremain

Elijah of Buxton (listening to audiobook & it is hilarious!! We are loving it. Glad I got the cd as I'm certain I would have fumbled over the dialog if I tried to read it aloud.)

We really enjoyed The Candy Shop War, which was our last read-aloud before summer break. Right now we're listening to audiobook copies of the Lemony Snicket series. I'm liking them a lot along with the kids, but it was a real disappointment to have the narrator switched mid-series. It went from Tim Curry (excellent) to the author. DD checked some of the future ones and said it goes back to Curry, so we're looking forward to that.

Erica in OR

I just realized that I haven't read aloud since last May. How sad. My kids are both in high school and it certainly isn't necessary any more, but we've always enjoyed it. I can't remember our last 3 read alouds, but after this thread, I think I will pick a next read-aloud :).

My Side of the Mountain (inspired my 10yo son to the point that I was a little afraid that he'd try it!)

The Little House series (counting this as one, because...well because.)

Miracles on Maple Hill. (Dd fell in love with a book for the first time.)

I'm in the middle of reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, the kids are enjoying, but its not my favorite book to read aloud. dialect and such is not fun for me.

Also in the middle of Iqbal.

the last two good ones were The Tale of Desperaux and The Witches. My kids can listen to Kate DiCamillo and Roald Dahl all day, every day.

Crispin series by Avi - a hit with both kids.

His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman - huge hit with ds, who kept reading ahead!

Small Steps by Peg Kehret - autobiographical work about recovering from polio that we stumbled across at the library, and all enjoyed thoroughly.

The kids just turned 8 and 10.

Our most recent three that were loved by all:

Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing (inspired many laugh out loud moments by both listeners and the reader)

Because of Winn Dixie (my dd9 loved it!)

The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle (We just started this one but they beg me to keep reading it. I didn't realize it was the second book though so we will have to go and pick up the first one when we're done with this one.)

I'm fairly slack with read a louds as both dds are/were avid and rapid readers, but we've done a couple more recently.

Chocky, John Wyndham

and now A Wrinkle in Time.

We need a new battery for lights so as we are resticted to a shared torch, we climb into my bed and read to each other in the evenings.

DD is proud that she's learning to s l o w  d o w n  a bit and not race and is increasing her verbal vocab with words she normal just sees written.

I'm also loving being read to but find myself dozing off, much to dd's annoyance.

I'll replace the battery today but will try to keep this shared reading as we are loving it.

I have only the teenager, but we still read aloud sometimes during the day and also, many evenings.

Our three favorites this past year were:

Sophie's World (read together as family)

Catherine, Called Birdie (she and I read together when studying Middle Ages) 

Evangeline (the poem by Longfellow)

Our biggest bomb: Kidnapped (I was okay with it but DH and DFD couldn't wait for it to end)

To the person who read My Side of the Mountain and is afraid their son will try it: I read it at about that age, maybe a little younger. I loved it soooo much. I never ran away but when I got to be an adult and could choose where I went on vacation, I chose to go to the Catskills (I am from Kansas) and Delhi, NY. I knew it wasn't a true story but somehow, I just had to go.

The Wind in the Willows- I can't believe I never read this book during my childhood- it was fabulous!  All of my kids loved it.

The Jungle Book- another one I never read & we all loved.

Last year we read My Indian Boyhood by Ohiyesa.   Awesome book about a boy Sioux boy who grew up with his tribe & then was sent to the the white schools as a teenager.   As an adult he wrote about what it was like to grow up with the Sioux- family life, games, tribal customs, hunting, etc.

For anyone who is interested, there are 2 books with very similar names: Indian Boyhood, by Charles Eastman, also called Ohiyesa, and My Indian Boyhood by Luther Standing Bear. It's the first one that FlyingMom is referring to, obviously.