Menu

the kidnapped victims, have you read about the women...

bettyandbob

I read about the backgrounds of the three women.

DeJesus is home with her parents and older siblings.

Berry and her daughter is at her sister's home and has spoken on the phone to her grandmother.

Knight is still in the hospital. Her brother visited her. He said he didn't know she was missing until he saw the news reports. He said he hugged because she seemed want a hug (apparently touch is not a communication the family uses). He said he was kicked out of the family home at 14. Her mother is in Florida and has said she hasn't been able to call and will call when she can. I suspect this woman is still in the hospital because she has absolutely no where to go and clearly no support. How is she ever going rebuild herself when it appears that she does not get the message that she's worth being loved by people who are supposed to be close to her. Beyond how tragic the situation is in general, this in particular is very, very sad.

I figure that the family assumed, eventually, that she had decided to part ways on her own and did not want contact. Who would think your kid was alive but denied access to a phone / mailbox for 10 years? I think it would take some time to adjust to the newfound info. That said, I had heard yesterday that the mom was trying to come north to visit her daughter. Different news stories saying different things means I will keep an open mind.

I had read about her in one source that her case wasn't publicized because everyone assumed she just took off when she lost custody of her son, but that her mom didn't believe she'd do that.

My understanding was the hearing for custody was due the next day, so it hadn't even been decided. authorities all assumed she left on her own and wouldn't even file a missing person report.

She may not want to talk to her family. If you remember the case in Germany where the girl was held captive for about as long, she refused to have much if any contact with her parents when she was free. Some people aren't comforted by their parents and it would be just another stressor to have to talk to them after a traumatic event.

The girls likely have a case against the city & police (like jaycee dugard did) since the police were, apparently, called to the home more than once. Neighbors claimed they contacted police after seeing a naked woman in the backyard and hearing pounding on a window but police didn't investigate. So she will probably receive some kind of settlement. They will also probably get book/ movie deals. Hopefully she will be provided for.

She may not want to talk to her family. If you remember the case in Germany where the girl was held captive for about as long, she refused to have much if any contact with her parents when she was free. Some people aren't comforted by their parents and it would be just another stressor to have to talk to them after a traumatic event.

The girls likely have a case against the city & police (like jaycee dugard did) since the police were, apparently, called to the home more than once. Neighbors claimed they contacted police after seeing a naked woman in the backyard and hearing pounding on a window but police didn't investigate. So she will probably receive some kind of settlement. They will also probably get book/ movie deals. Hopefully she will be provided for.

I thought that was the girl held captive by her own father??? Or was there another one in similar circumstances?

I can't help but wonder what happened to her baby? It says she "lost custody", nothing about whether that was to the father, or CPS--in which case having been kidnapped may have disrupted proper proceedings and wrongfully denied her due process in losing her parental rights.

I can't help but wonder what happened to her baby? It says she "lost custody", nothing about whether that was to the father, or CPS--in which case having been kidnapped may have disrupted proper proceedings and wrongfully denied her due process in losing her parental rights.

I agree. Where is that baby?

So sad that Michelle's brother didn't even know she was missing bc he was estranged from the family.

Also, there are reports saying Ariel Castro's daughter is in prison for attempting to murder her own daughter. What a horrible situation.

I thought that was the girl held captive by her own father??? Or was there another one in similar circumstances?

This was a different case, a girl kidnapped around age 10, held prisoner in a basement room, and she escaped a decade later. For whatever reason she did not want contact with her mother. It was either germany or austria.

The news is reporting there were "multiple miscarriages." Women that young should not be miscarrying so much. Either he beat the women to induce miscarriage or killed the babies when they were born. There is no way three women being raped over 10 years would not produce many pregnancies. I hope he is charged with murder. Some states do have murder charges for causing miscarriages through violence, even if the fetus is not viable.

My aunt told me that local news is saying that Knight went back to the hospital for psychological issues. Obviously, that's third hand info at this point, but Knight was the one in there the longest (13 years?) so it would have been rough for her to reintegrate as it was, but if she doesn't have any place that she can call safe and a home it is going to take her even longer to piece her life back together. My husband, who studied psych for a while, thinks that she'll probably need structured therapy for a good long time. It's sad, but real life isn't always like the movies where victory means everyone is happy and well.

I do think the police messed up, but where the girls where isn't a very good part of town. Domestic disputes, gang violence, and etc. happen there all the time. It's starting to get cleaned up, but an in-law of mine was murdered down that way a while ago, and no one was ever caught. Unfortunately, when it comes to those sorts of places the police tend to be more apathetic rather than more involved.

I question whether some of what the neighbors claim is true at all. Seriously? You see naked women in dog collars and screaming pounding on the window for help and still think he's nice as could be? Conflicting reports much?

Some people are going to say they saw things they didn't bc they hate cops or want lime light.

Cause seriously, if I saw beaten women in dog collars in someone's yard, I'd be screaming at the police until they bloody well showed up and went in. I have zero respect for people screaming outrage at the cops if they really saw what they claimed. What kind of person says basicly, "oh yeah I saw a guy killin some women and kids, but hey I made a phone call and nothin happened so I figured it's okay."

Grumble.. Rant...

The police say they were close, but never had cause to enter the home. Idk. But isn't it protocol to ask to come in? I once dialed 911 and then hung up before they picked up bc I decided to just go to the ER ourselves. Holy cow. Two cars showed up, knocked on my neighbors doors, and one came back hours later and asked my dh to wake me up to be sure it wasn't some kind of domestic violence. Good grief. Why? "We had an interrupted 911 attempt from this home, so it could have been anything. Next time please stay on the line. We were really worried we'd regret not breaking down a door."

Maybe Cleveland cops do just suck. But hindsight is always 20/20. Truth is Michele could have more likely been a run away. And by the sounds of her family, I wouldn't blame her. I'm withholding judgement on them until I know more.

This was a different case, a girl kidnapped around age 10, held prisoner in a basement room, and she escaped a decade later. For whatever reason she did not want contact with her mother. It was either germany or austria.

The news is reporting there were "multiple miscarriages." Women that young should not be miscarrying so much. Either he beat the women to induce miscarriage or killed the babies when they were born. There is no way three women being raped over 10 years would not produce many pregnancies. I hope he is charged with murder. Some states do have murder charges for causing miscarriages through violence, even if the fetus is not viable.

Not necessarily. The beatings and malnutrishment aren't exactly optimum pregnancy conditions to begin with.

And I hate to say it but....

We can't assume those women were any happier to be pregnant than their rapists were with it.

I'm curious to know if these women were ever able to bond even to each other.

It's just awful no matter what. :(

Maybe Cleveland cops do just suck. But hindsight is always 20/20. Truth is Michele could have more likely been a run away. And by the sounds of her family, I wouldn't blame her. I'm withholding judgement on them until I know more.

There was a gruesome serial killer case in the same area and the cops really failed on that one too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Sowell

Neighbors reported a stench from the house and there were many other suspicious elements.

Yes. I suppose they do get apathic. But usually they at least want to CYA by following procedure. Sometimes crime isn't easy to solve. Especially in an area where neighbors don't talk to each other, much less the cops.

And yet...

Let's say the cops get a random call from someone about your house. Does that mean you no longer have the right to refuse entry to your home? No longer a need for a warrant? I should hope not, right? Because that would pretty much void the point of it.

So let's say they got a call saying there's some freaky woman next door freaking out in the window. The police show up, walk around the property, ring the bell, knock. Nada. What are they supposed to do. Sure NOW we know there were hostages there, but they didn't. No probable cause to go breaking down someone's door and digging through the house.

Or the guy answers and is suave enough to completely miss the cops' BS/trouble radar, as psychos are well known to be very good at doing, again, no probable cause. No reason to enter and find hostages.

I really feel bad for the cops. The men on these cases are going to forever question if only they had...

Not necessarily. The beatings and malnutrishment aren't exactly optimum pregnancy conditions to begin with.

We can't assume those women were any happier to be pregnant than their rapists were with it.

I wondered about their bonding, also. Do you think they will remain (or become) friends?

The women were not malnourished, at least at the time of their escape. I think it's inevitable that this man murdered some of his offspring.

I just read that his daughter is in prison for attempted murder of her baby.

The horror these girls went through is almost too much to grasp, in fact, I don't think anyone can truly grasp it.

I am praying for top notch counselors very skilled in the field of destroyed identities and s^&ual assault.

There is so much hype going on in the media. I understand that people are relieved and elated that they are out but the press needs to simmer down and wait for confirmed statements instead of wildly speculating.

I'm not speculating anything. Just wondering.

There are any number of reasons Michele is staying at the hospital. For all we know, her family would just loooove the hype of having her but she doesn't want them. I got a different impression from her twin borer when he said he hugged her bc she seemed to want one. He hasn't seen his twin or much of his family since he was 14. And the first time he sees her, it right after she has spent 10 year treated brutally by men. I think it's very normal for a man, even a close relative, who hasn't seen her in over a decade to feel very very nervous about touching her or basicly doing anything at all to upset her. Her brier sounds like he cares about her and was relieved she would want a hug from him.

I just feel awful for her. It sounds like life really sucked before this happened to her and now she is going to have to start fresh and alone. I hope she meets good people who can help her have the life she should have always known.

The girls claim they only left the house twice and just to go to the garage and even then in disguise. Certainly not naked in dog collars.

I am with you Martha, if I thought someone was in danger and the cops did nothing I would raise holy heck on up the chain.

And just before I kicked xh out, I had to call 911 on him. I was able to get ds and myself out of the house and drove off before the sheriff showed up. Xh would not answer the door. Cop went all around the house shining flash light in all windows.

Then he went to the neighbors and got my cell phone number from her and called me to confirm I was ok.

So yeah, I guess all areas aren't the same with regards to police services.

I've been thinking, if this man's daughter is in jail for trying to kill her own daughter,...well, was ths man part of that too?

I'd certainly be looking at doing a DNA to see if grandpa is also the father.

Someone this rotten doesn't just suddenly become so.

His daughter could well be one of his first victims.

This was a horrible terrifying tradgedy. I cannot begin to imagine even. That being said the news has been reported and it should end here. I would not want to hahs this out again and again. I would not want to be the topic of dinner conversation across the nation. This one woman had a child by this person I am sure that child does not wanna grow being known for this. There comes a point when media should back off and allow people time to process and begin to heal not become the nights top story.

Just saw Gina DeJesus' mom talk. What a strong woman, and she says her daughter is even stronger. :) This is what Mother's Day is about IMO - what women go through and emerge stronger for it. As for the attention, initially I think it is good for these women to know that so many people cared and care about them. This is local for me, and I can tell you that Gina DeJesus in particular is a name that has come to mind frequently over the past 10 years. I really believed she was alive and would be back with her family someday; I think that was not an uncommon sentiment here. I think it is good for her and Amanda to know that they never stopped belonging to the community which will now be so important to their healing. As for Michelle, we can only hope that family gets it together and finds a bond that had been lost.

CNN is reporting he may face murder charges for assaults that led to miscarriages. That would revoke bail at least, not that he has the means to make it now. He could also face the death penalty for murder charges.

Also that house was in foreclosure... I imagine he would have killed those women once he lost the house. Thank god they got out when they did.

There are bound to be other victims, including murder victims. Have you read about the other teenager who went missing, Ashley Summers? And Knight says there was another woman there at one point who disappeared.

Assuming what I'm reading is correct, he had a history of violent domestic assault against his wife which led to him losing any custody of his children... WHY was he working as a schoolbus driver?

I'm not speculating anything. Just wondering.

There are any number of reasons Michele is staying at the hospital. For all we know, her family would just loooove the hype of having her but she doesn't want them. I got a different impression from her twin borer when he said he hugged her bc she seemed to want one. He hasn't seen his twin or much of his family since he was 14. And the first time he sees her, it right after she has spent 10 year treated brutally by men. I think it's very normal for a man, even a close relative, who hasn't seen her in over a decade to feel very very nervous about touching her or basicly doing anything at all to upset her. Her brier sounds like he cares about her and was relieved she would want a hug from him.

I just feel awful for her. It sounds like life really sucked before this happened to her and now she is going to have to start fresh and alone. I hope she meets good people who can help her have the life she should have always known.

I didn't mean you, Martha. Sorry if it came across this way. I am frustrated with the hype because I think they need sanctuary and not incessant calls for interviews.

But reality is what it is.

I feel terrible for all of them, but agree that this poor girl does need someone to come in and give her a real hug!!

According to this, Knight's son that she lost custody of was the result of a gang rape at school (I think they mean she was a junior in high school, and not in junior high school): http://m.nydailynews...ticle-1.1339798

My heart just breaks for this woman. :( All three endured unspeakable horror, but I feel especially bad for Knight. I hope these young women get the help and support they need to start new lives and put all of this behind them as best they can.

I don't believe in the death penalty, but I'm so disgusted by this guy I make an exception.

Me too. There are a handful of cases where the evidence is indisputable and the crimes so horrific I feel the death penalty is justified. This is one.

It's 99% percent likely that this guy did commit murder (other than the miscarriages). They should be looking at every missing person case everywhere this guy has lived.

I don't believe in the death penalty, but I'm so disgusted by this guy I make an exception.

I agreed with your premise but Wendy, the death penalty would be too swift for him!

He needs to be incarcerated with the worst of them for as long as he lives so he can see what it's like...

I agreed with your premise but Wendy, the death penalty would be too swift for him!

He needs to be incarcerated with the worst of them for as long as he lives so he can see what it's like...

Don't doubt there will be jailhouse justice. Convicts have a code of their own, and generally hold a great dislike for child abusers. He will be made into somebody's b---- soon enough.

Seriously I have only slightly more respect her family than Castro.

Poor woman. She must feel like every day of her life has been the life of Job. :'(

I hope she can find enough healing to create a new and better life for herself.

Her story just gets worse and worse the more the media releases about her: http://www.19actionn...in-the-hospital

She has also asked the media over and over to respect her privacy. I don't think anyone who has had this type of thing happen wants to be spread all over the news and peoples discussion boards. She has lived through something we cannot even imagine thanks to the media and all she can't even go to McDonalds without people pointing and talking about the life she has been forced to live all these years. Deepest darkest moments of her life being spread all over for strangers to see.