Menu

Interesting discovery about social groups

joannqn

I just discovered that someone can quote your post in a private social group. You will get the notification that you were quoted but can not see what they said about your post. How do you feel about this?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest inoubliable

I wouldn't mind. (I didn't even know about this feature. I've been quoted dozens of times and never had a notification about it.) This is an open forum. As Jean pointed out, there is nothing to prevent someone from cutting and pasting your words anywhere else on the internet. It's been said here before - if you don't want it out on the internet, don't post it. Period.

How did you turn on notifications for when you are quoted? That sounds great!

I'm not a huge fan of the closed groups sending out notifications to people not in the group. I hate clicking on New Content and then seeing an interesting thread that I'm not allowed to read. It feels weird, even though I know it isn't personal.

I wouldn't mind, but personally I'd like to know what was being said. ;)

The discourse that comes from boards like this can be quite valuable, and whether someone agrees or disagrees with me, I'd like to know so that I could continue to expand my own mind and work on my own worldview.

That said, if someone quoted me in a private group, that'd be okay. People have the right to quote what they want and discuss what I have said here, it's a public forum and all posts should be treated as such - if I didn't want people to discuss it, I shouldn't have posted it.

I wouldn't mind. (I didn't even know about this feature. I've been quoted dozens of times and never had a notification about it.) This is an open forum. As Jean pointed out, there is nothing to prevent someone from cutting and pasting your words anywhere else on the internet. It's been said here before - if you don't want it out on the internet, don't post it. Period.

Is that a praying pretzel in your avatar?

Like a football player taking a knee to thank God for his touchdown?

I hate clicking on New Content and then seeing an interesting thread that I'm not allowed to read. It feels weird, even though I know it isn't personal.

I find this whole thing rather fascinating. I thought social groups were totally private for those enrolled, and I find it odd that they show up when you hit "new content." I haven't come across any lately, but the last time I did you could hover over the post and read the content of the first and last post, just like any other thread. You couldn't read the actual thread, but how odd that you could read some of the content by hovering.

I'm cool with social groups, but I don't think social group threads should show up with the normal content. They should be totally private, not a tease.

Guest inoubliable

It's my Tebowing pretzel. (I thought that if I actually used a real picture of Tebow to show the only reason I know who he is, that it would probably offend a few people here. *sigh* I'm guessing the pretzel is offensive, too?)

I find this whole thing rather fascinating. I thought social groups were totally private for those enrolled, and I find it odd that they show up when you hit "new content." I haven't come across any lately, but the last time I did you could hover over the post and read the content of the first and last post, just like any other thread. You couldn't read the actual thread, but how odd that you could read some of the content by hovering.

I'm cool with social groups, but I don't think social group threads should show up with the normal content. They should be totally private, not a tease.

Gosh this makes me want to start a social group just to put provocative posts that make people wonder what is going on!

LOL

my teenage son belongs to a message board...a sports one...that has a social board. Someone started a thread about *your darkest secret*.

He said "sh!t was getting real"

Not that he believed it all...kinda like here. Hahahahaha

Guest inoubliable

One other thing - I wouldn't necessarily start off with thinking that people are talking about you behind your back if you're quoted into a SG that you're not a part of. Sometimes threads here...devolve. And it gets real heavy and uncool. Some people might want to continue the discussion but can't in the original thread. Sometimes the discussion is just moved into another room where it can continue with less heat.

Eh, I don't mind.

I thought it was that thinking statue guy. What's the name of that statue? That pretzel looks just like it.

It's my Tebowing pretzel. (I thought that if I actually used a real picture of Tebow to show the only reason I know who he is, that it would probably offend a few people here. *sigh* I'm guessing the pretzel is offensive, too?)

Oh, dear.

Sit on hands, sit on hands...don't type about eating Tebow pretzel...oops, too late!

Offensive only in the fact that I am now very hungry, and craving a soft, warm pretzel. Hmm, I'm sure that's weird considering it is supposed to be Tebow....but to me it's kinda just a gingerbread man in pretzel form. Oh, I did wonder if it was Tebow before I saw your post!

Guest inoubliable

Oh, dear.

Sit on hands, sit on hands...don't type about eating Tebow pretzel...oops, too late!

LOL.

Eh, I don't mind.

I thought it was that thinking statue guy. What's the name of that statue? That pretzel looks just like it.

That's like when I asked my dear BIL what was the name of the Johnny Cash song in which the guy steals a car one piece at a time...

Um, yeah. It's called...wait for it...One Piece at a Time...

Oh, dear.

I think the question is, what would you use for dip?

I prefer a sweet pretzel. So the white creamy icing kind of dip.

I didn't know there was such a thing. Here endeth my lesson of the day. :D

I clicked on new content and nothing showed up under social groups. Is there something I need to do? And will only the social groups I belong to show up? Gah! I'm such a dunce.

I clicked on new content and nothing showed up under social groups. Is there something I need to do? And will only the social groups I belong to show up? Gah! I'm such a dunce.

I believe that only groups you belong to and groups whose privacy levels allow for it will show up... but I'm not 100% sure.

I'm offended that it's not made out of ginger bread.

That's like when I asked my dear BIL what was the name of the Johnny Cash song in which the guy steals a car one piece at a time...

Um, yeah. It's called...wait for it...One Piece at a Time...

My FIL onced asked during a discussion with 20 some people at Thanksgiving dinner "What's the name of that movie with Bambi in it?" There was a long pause while we waited for the punchline. There wasn't one.

Offensive only in the fact that I am now very hungry, and craving a soft, warm pretzel. Hmm, I'm sure that's weird considering it is supposed to be Tebow....but to me it's kinda just a gingerbread man in pretzel form. Oh, I did wonder if it was Tebow before I saw your post!

I assumed it was a crispy, hard pretzel, and thus didn't much care what the shape was because I'm not pro-hard pretzel. A soft pretzel is an entirely different issue, and I'll have to think about how I feel about that.

Speaking of threads devolving, ahem....

This happened to me the other day. I was quoted on a social group. I thought it was some kind of fluke. Even when the social group said I did not have permission to join. I thought it odd that social group owners would be able to single people out like that. And of course I had no way to defend myself if something was taken out of context or simply misunderstood.

Guest inoubliable

I assumed it was a crispy, hard pretzel, and thus didn't much care what the shape was because I'm not pro-hard pretzel. A soft pretzel is an entirely different issue, and I'll have to think about how I feel about that.

Speaking of threads devolving, ahem....

Wait. Hold up.

We can be anti-hard pretzel? Do we have a social group for that?

Guest inoubliable

Um, what about those of us who like both hard and soft pretzels? Is there a bi-pretzel social group?

Well if there isn't, there should be!

Yesterday I saw pretzel rolls in the freezer section of the grocery store. I think I would be in the pro category on those, but I've never had one before. (I would not like to be quoted in a private group I couldn't join, as my curiosity would make me crazy.)

This happened to me the other day. I was quoted on a social group. I thought it was some kind of fluke. Even when the social group said I did not have permission to join. I thought it odd that social group owners would be able to single people out like that. And of course I had no way to defend myself if something was taken out of context or simply misunderstood.

Exactly.

I discovered this issue when a post about how my Christian faith helped me through a difficult time in my marriage was quoted in the atheist, agnostic, free-thinkers social group. I wonder why they feel the need to discuss my faith and my marriage privately amongst themselves.

Exactly.

I discovered this issue when a post about how my Christian faith helped me through a difficult time in my marriage was quoted in the atheist, agnostic, free-thinkers social group. I wonder why they feel the need to discuss my faith and my marriage privately amongst themselves.

I don't know. They are the same group that quoted me. Interesting.

(As an aside I wonder why "free thinking" is only the perview of atheists and agnostics)

Guest inoubliable

Exactly.

Well if *this* is what the thread is about, why didn't you just ASK one of us in that group? *sigh*

Sometimes non-believers talk about ways we deal with things and how it's different from how believers deal with it. That's it. Nothing nefarious. No one was talking about anyone's marriage. No one discussing your faith.

I don't know. They are the same group that quoted me. Interesting.

(As an aside I wonder why "free thinking" is only the perview of atheists and agnostics)

"Free Thinking" in religion with regards to parenting means that you aren't telling your child what to believe, etc. It can also mean that you pull from lots of faiths/spiritual traditions and aren't bound by any one set of beliefs. It usually means you are open to change and influence, with regards to faith/religion/spirituality.

IMO, obviously.

"Free Thinking" in religion with regards to parenting means that you aren't telling your child what to believe, etc. It can also mean that you pull from lots of faiths/spiritual traditions and aren't bound by any one set of beliefs. It usually means you are open to change and influence, with regards to faith/religion/spirituality.

IMO, obviously.

But atheist isn't a religion. So it was confusing.

I had the same thought!

Life is too short to worry myself about what other people think of me or my ideas. This lesson works in all kinds of situations.

Agreed.

You can't please all of the people all of the time, right? I just go on the assumption that I always have someone clapping for me and someone offended by me. :D

Not a problem the internet is wide open. I figured out with this board that there are people on here that absolutely hate any thing Christian. I use to think that this was a kind bunch of folks. I ever so recently was searching for for something can't remember what and found someone's blog that mention quite a few of the board names and how they hate the Christian and some really ugly stuff toward folks (it had not been updated in a few years but the Christian board names are still active posters). I know a few of the anti-Christians folks that posted on that blog were banned and now probably posting under new names. I wasn't mention but it wouldn't surprise me at all if their are folks doing the same in PM, social groups, whatever. This board has a lot of passionate personalities. I don't know the folks IRL and it actually is pretty educational to see how people really feel about you. Don't take things online personally. THis is another reason I stay away from facebook And since I try to see the world through rose-color-glasses just maybe you will get positive quotes. Don't sweat the small stuff life is to short.

Not a problem the internet is wide open. I figured out with this board that there are people on here that absolutely hate any thing Christian. I use to think that this was a kind bunch of folks. I ever so recently was searching for for something can't remember what and found someone's blog that mention quite a few of the board names and how they hate the Christian and some really ugly stuff toward folks (it had not been updated in a few years but the Christian board names are still active posters). I know a few of the anti-Christians folks that posted on that blog were banned and now probably posting under new names. I wasn't mention but it wouldn't surprise me at all if their are folks doing the same in PM, social groups, whatever. This board has a lot of passionate personalities. I don't know the folks IRL and it actually is pretty educational to see how people really feel about you. Don't take things online personally. THis is another reason I stay away from facebook And since I try to see the world through rose-color-glasses just maybe you will get positive quotes. Don't sweat the small stuff life is to short.

At what point did someone say they hate Christians? Searching, searching...

Well if *this* is what the thread is about, why didn't you just ASK one of us in that group? *sigh*

Sometimes non-believers talk about ways we deal with things and how it's different from how believers deal with it. That's it. Nothing nefarious. No one was talking about anyone's marriage. No one discussing your faith.

No, the thread is about the fact that someone can quote you in a separate and private conversation. I just happened to find out via that post and that quote. One can discuss how non-believers deal with things v. how believers deal with it without discussing specific people. In the real world, we refer to it as gossip. And since we all know people do gossip in real life, it is safe to assume people gossip online as well. I just didn't realize that the forum software made it easier to do and easier to discover. It's kind of like walking in on a gossipy conversation unexpectedly. It's shocking even though you know people do it, and it certainly doesn't encourage open discussion.

It seems a bit ironic to talk about how whatever you post online is open to the public while hiding behind a private social group.

Just because something is permissable doesn't mean it is a nice thing to do but then again nice doesn't seem to be a benchmark for behavior around here these days.