Menu

Talk to me about labradors..

Stayseeliz

We are looking into getting a chocolate lab next month. What do I need to know? I know they are high energy and friendly but I don't know much else about them. We have four kids ranging from 2-11. Two that can actively help with the dog on a regular basis with walking, feeding, etc.

Is this a good family dog or should we look at another breed? Thanks!

Labs are great family dogs! They do get big, and teaching them to walk properly on a leash so they don't walk you, is important. I don't know that I would let the kids walk the dog alone, as they do get big enough that they could drag a child if they get spooked, or see something they want to chase. They are easy to train usually. Very smart, and sweet.

Labs are great family dogs. Most of our dogs have been lab mixes.

You should definitely consider an easy walker harness for a lab because they tend to be pullers. We got one for our GSD because she pulled all the time on the leash and also tried to lunge at cars that drove by. With the easy walk harness on, she doesn't lunge or pull.

http://www.amazon.com/PREMIER-Easy-Walk-Harness-Size/dp/B000ZM94OG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1366604938&sr=8-3&keywords=easy+walker+harness

You need to keep in mind that a daily walk is likely to be essential at least through puppyhood. You will need to make sure that he is fully socialized. I recommend puppy classes to help with training and to get socialization started off in a small, controlled setting (as opposed to a dog park). Kylie started puppy classes at 3mo and did great from her very first day at the dog park at 4mo.

Have plenty of things for chewing on, but be prepared to have to put everything away just like for a toddler.

Crate training is wonderful! I highly recommend it. Kylie is the first dog we've ever crate-trained and we wouldn't have made it through her puppyhood otherwise. We always had an adult dog to teach our other puppies to behave, but Kylie is our only dog. Goldie died one month before we got Kylie, so she wasn't able to train her.

I've only had Labs. Best dogs in the world.

That said, they are nightmare puppies, our last 2 have been shelter dogs about 18 months old. Easy to find a purebred lab about this age, because by this age many people who did not research and fell for the cute puppy have had enough. I know lab puppies that have eaten decks- literally chewed the supports so badly the whole deck had to be torn down. I'm not real into that kind of work, so we scoop up the almost- grown puppies (lab puppy stage last til about 2) and they are fabulous dogs- easy to train (completely food motivated), gentle to a fault, just incredible dogs. easily housebroken (as older puppies, anyway).

Are you getting a puppy? Because with a 2 year old, I would not recommend it. It's a whole lot of work and chewing. I can pretty much guarantee your local humane society has a lab right now at an easier adult age that will make a fantastic companion to your family.

Great family dogs - so gentle and forgiving with clumsy children. Ours used to get climbed upon and never batted an eye. However, lab puppies take a long time to mature and ours was a chewer. It took a long time for him to outgrow it and several times along the way I seriously reconsidered our decision. Once she passed that stage, she was a lovely dog.

Oh yeah, one more thing...she loved water A LOT. There was never a puddle that didn't get investigated fully. She would frequently lay in front of her water bowl and blow bubbles, cute...but messy.

We have a lab who just turned two. They are very cute puppies but it is HARD work. Having said that, I do agree with crate training. We did spend a few sleepness nights ...she was persistent. But now she loves her crate and often goes there for respite :).

We love our Lucy (yellow lab). She is funny and loyal and smart.

I highly recommend them. (Her worst habit is she loves to eat anything. Literally. Anything. And when we walk her off lead she high tails it for any puddle, muddy or not. ).

Great family dog.

Labs are the best pets! My family has always had yellow or chocolate labs. Our labs (all of them) have been truly wonderful with kids, gentle to the point of even letting kids crawl over them while also being fiercely protective.

That being said, I have had experience with a few difficult labs. If you're buying from a breeder it would be good to ask around about peoples' experience with them. My parents currently hired a dog trainer to work with their puppy and he said there is one breeder in town who's animals he won't work with at all due to improper breeding practices that have created agressive pups.

Labs shed a lot. Great personalities (usually). Tend to be somewhat playful even as a dog (keep a puppy-like quality to them).

They have more hair than you imagine, and it comes off them in your house if you don't brush it diligently and/or have a groomer do it.

I'll be a voice of dissent. I don't think Labs are a particularly good choice for a family with toddlers/preschoolers. Unless you're willing to adopt one who's at least four years old. And even then you have to be really careful, because so many of them nowadays are so poorly bred they have very little resemblance tempermentally to what a good specimen of the breed should be. The problem is getting so bad that many trainers are beginning to refer to Labs as Labrador Deceivers (and the same for Goldens).

They're big and they tend to be clumsy as puppies (for some, like my SIL's, the clumsiness stays with them forever). Like all sporting breed dogs, they're "touch insensitive." That means that while they likely won't bat an eye if your 2-yo pulls ears or tail, they also don't think a thing about plowing over that same 2-yo while running full speed. And lab puppies take a long time to mature.

Unless your older kids are physically big and mature for their ages, I would NOT recommend allowing them to walk a dog alone. One of my pet peeves is children allowed to walk large dogs that they couldn't possibly begin to control if the dog decided to take off. It's a danger to the child, the dog and any other people and dogs around them. Also, if you're getting a puppy be prepared to provide a LOT more exercise than just a daily walk. A walk at a normal human pace, especially the pace of young children, doesn't provide any real physical exercise for a sporting breed dog (although it is good mental exercise). He/she will need some free running time, preferably a lot of it, every day.

We loved our chocolate lab, Merry!

Crate training is a must. And don't be tempted to leave her out when you go out until at least 18 months. Stock up on chew toys. We had little problem with inappropriate chewing but we always gave her a chew toy (nylabone) in her crate and kept many around the house.

Start brushing her teeth and coat early while she is still small. If you hold her at first the kids can do it.

You are going to have so much fun with your pup!

We've had two Labs, and everything everyone has said is completely true.

1. Amazing family dogs. Super loyal, always want to be involved with everything the family is doing. Our Lab may be the original Photo-Bomber. She shows in the the background of every dang picture we take, lol!

2. They are a bit um, wild, as pups. Imagine the two year old, one of those wild ones that just take alot of work...the Lab will likely be like that the first two years. Moments of amazingness, and moments of pure "what the H@$L????" Get past those two years and they tend to mellow out and that is when they are truly perfect. I will say that we didn't make it past that point with one of our Labs. She was a Choc, and during that first year, I became pregnant, and DH was working out of town. The Lab was in that "lot of work stage", and was a runner, ie open the door, and she bolted. Had to chase her down many streets, etc....ugh....and very hyper...alot of that was OUR fault for not properly training and not giving her the chance for exercise..our backyard was very very small...and because she PULLED on walks, we never walked her....didn't know about the Gentle Leader back then. (also she was a huge bulldozer...had a three year old who was constanlty plowed over by the Choc Lab....so that was a concern with a new baby coming in the house). The Gentle Leader has been a god-send for our current Lab. HUGE difference,meaning I could barely walk her, felt like she would pull my shoulder out of socket....to using a Gentle Leader and my 7 year old being to walk her (with me right there with him...my 7 year old doesn't go on walks by himself ever). The bull-dozer problem has become less of a problem as the dog matured. Thought our lab will still run past and bump into...I guess my children are just a bit bigger now so it's not so traumatic now as they don't tend to fall down when she does it.

3. Super smart, but also a bit neurotic. My lab is afraid of empty water bottles, plastic bags, and fireworks, she trembles in fear. Oh, and trimming nails...that's a wrestling feat that takes brawn and sweat...she's deathly afraid of the nail trimmers and squirms and wrestles to no end to get away...never bites though. My sister has a Choc lab,and he is afraid of many things as well....I just learned last night, as a matter of fact, when I asked her if she knew that antlers were given as dog chews....yes, she knew...and they gave one to their Lab when he was about 2 years old,when they learned about them...and he was afraid of it. To the point, when all of his toys were in his toy basket, along with the antler chew, he would ever-so-gently sneak up and pull out a toy, being careful as to not actually touch the antler. Silly. But here's how smart our Lab is: During the mild weather months, we kept her crate in the garage, and that is where she was whenever we left. One day we came home to find her in the house...hmm, okay...maybe we didn't lock the crate and shut the garage door well.....next day, came home to find her in the house again...weird.....so the 3rd day, I personally put her in the crate, to make sure she was locked and personally shut the garage door to the house. Good to go. Came home and she was in the house...WHAT!!! Put a video camera in the garage to see HOW this was happening. Here is what we recorded: She had bent the frame of the crate ever so slightly in the front that had an opening to slide out the plastic tray. (we didn't even notice it was bent until we saw her do this). She would lay on her side and slide out under the bent cage opening...it took alot of work and juggling by her to get her body out of that opening...tight fit. Once she was out, she went to the garage door to the house, which the handle was like a lever, up and down, not a knob, and jump up and down, "grabbing" the lever with her paw, until she actually opened the door to the house. Amazing to watch, really. From that day forward, we no longer crated her.

Yes, shed a ton...we often have a small rabbit of hair in the yard after we brush her....on a daily basis in the spring.

But truly amazing..takes whatever my children give her...they can be a bit rough as they are boys, and we do remind to them to be gentle, but she's never blinked twice. The kind of dog that might be in a deep sleep, but if you get up to leave the room, she immediately follows if you are her "chosen one"......this gets a bit annoying if that is you....it's me in this house...so she sits outside the bathroom door while I shower, sits next to the stove when I cook, sits under the table when I eat...yeah. Learned every trick we've taught her.

Overall, one of the best dogs we've ever had, and so glad we stuck it out through those "terrible two's".

we have a chocolate. He is fun, he is great and gentle with kids. And he doesn't know he weighs 80 lbs. He think he is a lap dog and like to sit on me and my hubby.

Hibby had 4 labs before our chocolate and together we had a yellow lab before. They are just great dogs.

just so u know, lab does shed hair a lot especially spring time. And the drool.. OMG the drool.

We breed labs.They are the best dogs around children. Even our outside hunting lab is amazing with the kids and he is not around them much.

They are wild, crazy puppies and have more than the ton of energy you think you are prepared for.

They shed a ton. Its driving me crazy right now.

The do drool and find every water hole/puddle they can.

Two of mine bark a lot.

They chase and eat all birds. I do have a parrot and they leave him alone.

They love my cats and kittens and are gentle with them but will chase strays.

They love to sit on our laps. Even at over 80 lbs.

They follow my kids everywhere and would protect them with their lives.

One has a ball obsession. One is lazy and wont retrieve a ball to save her life.

Mine were all easy as puppies and potty trained quick

Our Lab ius a sweet, good-natured dog - even after being attacked and mauled by a pit bull when he was half-grown. You WILL want to get a crate - as big as you can fit in a room of your house, get one witha moveable inner "wall" so you can adjust the size as puppy grows (you want just enough space for the dog to turn around and lay down - any more space and it might use a corner as a bathroom, which can defeat the purpose). Be prepared to get up once or twice a night the first few months as puppy will need to go out and pee.

Our adult Lab has not needed the crate in years (we use it now as needed to hold one of the cats if they get ill. They hate it :-)

Are you SURE you want a puppy with a two year old in the house? Just checking because it's going to require a lot of clean up time even if you crate train :) You can find so many labs of all different ages in shelters. They are great dogs! I've owned a lab or lab mix my entire life (current owner of a lab mix, boston terrier genetic reject, blind great dane, a pyranese that breaks the breed and a pom/chi/dachsi mutt). I used to rescue so I will share the main reason most people ditch lab puppies

The whine, the up all night I don't want to be in the crate whining.

The bark, the I don't want to be outside, in the crate, anywhere but with you barking.

The chewing, on anything and everything. You will probably find things hidden from view for years.

All of these things can apply to any breed, but labs especially which is due mainly to the lack of exercise.

The jumping on people, these dogs are the epitome of high energy. They are working dogs, they need a job. A walk even daily is not going to be enough, they need jogging, miles, daily or if they are willing to fetch then they need someone willing to throw the ball for an hour a day. They are better dogs when given the attention they need and thrive on.

My current lab will snatch birds out of the air, but he wouldn't dream of hurting my children *knock on wood I've seen enough to know anything can happen*

post-61708-0-98864300-1366635525_thumb.jpg

I wish I had a picture from last week. My kids had put a princess dress and crown on him :) It was cute. They are great family dogs, but he didn't mellow out till he was about 6, now at 10 he's about as chill as a dog can be and puts up with anything. If he doesn't like what they do he just gets up and walks away.

Expect training to take months, expect to clean up mess after mess after mess otherwise you are setting yourself up for frustration.

I took some cats to be fixed a couple of months ago and there was a guy with a year old lab mix and he was asking the vet tech if spaying her would finally calm her down. The vet tech was trying to explain to him that labs stay in puppy stage for at least two years with very few exceptions, but he wasn't really listening and kept saying, "so this will calm her down?" The tech was saying everything (you could take her for training, you should take her out running). Everything, but a flat no and I couldn't help but laugh. I told the tech she handled that situation very well because what can you do? People don't understand, when you get a working dog you have to work them or they can go bonkers.

Good luck!

A lot of the above sounded similar or the same as our lab experience. We got a black lab when my one of my sons was 2yrs and one was 10 months. Never had any problems with the puppy and the kids together as long as we used our heads.

Labs are ranked #2 in the "best dogs for families" rankings (Goldens are #1) and there is a very good reason for that. They adore children, have soft mouths, are very obedient if trained, and want to please you. Some can be protective - but they seem to instinctively know that ANY kid is ok, and usually will only ever bark at an adult they don't know.

Our lab (Tonka) never drooled - I guess some do, but I've never known any.

They do shed copiously - but we found a solution to that: a Roomba. If you get a lab, get a Roomba.

If you get a well bread dog, they are usually very healthy. Ours had a common skin allergy and we had to feed him lamb and rice food (we settled on Lamaderm - at Wal-Mart).

They are very hyper puppies - but - most puppies are pretty hyper. The deal with labs is that the hyper might last longer. I'd say Tonka was hyper until he was 2, and then high energy until he started getting old. But- with kids to play with in the yard - the high energy is very manageable. The best way to burn their energy is to let them swim :)

They are absolute sweethearts - enjoy!

Are they a good family dog I repeat with a smile. YES! They are the best. We have our 2nd one right now. Our first was the runt of her litter over 20 years ago. She was the sweetest and most gentle lab. She was pedigreed and came from English championship line! Boy, it was proven in her demeanor. Unfortunately, she did get sick and had to be put down 1 month before her 12th birthday which is a bit soon even for large breed dogs. We waited 1 year and bought our 2nd lab from the same breeder. We did not know that she was alpha female so she's a little bossy. Still, she's mellowed and is very smart. Things to consider: buy from a reputable breeder, learn about parents/lineage. If you want a mellow lab, do NOT get alpha unless you're willing to wait a while for him/her to mellow, larger breeds can end up with hip problems, but not always, most labs want to get in your face to kiss and sit on your lap. They will be a great friend! They will not protect your house. :) They are not vicious, however, we once heard of someone making their lab vicious - maybe by taunting. That is cruel. If you buy a puppy, let your child "GENTLY" pull on the tail (no rough housing) so they will become accustomed to play. Teach them the rules right up front: no jumping on people, furniture, no eating from trash can, etc. They need to know who the leader of the pack "family" is so you and your dh can teach your puppy that by picking up by scruff of neck (as Mommy dog would do) every now and then to move out of danger/teach. Be willing to invest the time to take out for early morning potty until they are trained and can go through the night. Give lots of love and attention back and PLEASE DO NOT OVERFEED your lab. I see overweight labs and of course that's not good. If you are getting an older lab, then ask questions and perhaps take to obedience school. Labs are wonderful in any color!

I absolutely agree with most of the pp statements on the potential pitfalls of labs, especially during the puppy phase. We had a trainer tell us that labs are insane until they are about 2 years old, sometimes 18mo in females.

If you are totally committed to getting a puppy I would strongly suggest you crate train and prepare to put serious cash into replacing your kids toys the first year. (Bug was 4 when we got our last pup and even with everyone working to keep toys up and bedroom doors shut the dog cut a swath of destruction like nothing I've ever seen. Why yes, she is a lab mix! :p )

I also strongly suggest, unless you are interested in showing the dog at some point, that you consider a lab mix. We have had many, many mixed breeds over the years and have found them to have many of the good traits of the breeds without the major medical/personality issues.

Era- I just re-read what I posted, and it sounds like I am anti-purebred. I am not against pure breed dogs, I am just very much pro-shelter puppies who also make awesome family dogs!

What happened to your beagle? Didn't you get two beagle puppies?

I'm saying this in the nicest way possible, please don't get another dog (at least right now)

Thank you for asking. I was wondering, too, but was a little afraid to go there since I thought maybe I had the wrong person in mind.

Said in the gentlest possible way to the OP -- If you can't handle a Beagle puppy, there is no way on earth a Lab will be a good fit for you. It will be a disaster. And if you still have the Beagle puppy and are thinking of adding another, IMO it's too soon. The puppy you kept isn't old enough to be well-trained enough to be thinking of bringing in another puppy already. If you're looking at an older, already well-trained Lab then . . . . a very qualified maybe. But on the whole I still think it's a very bad idea.

I got a lab when I was in high school. We lived in the burbs with no leash laws and "Dart" was loved by the whole neighborhood. He'd eat breakfast at a couple of houses, lunch at another and snacks from everyone. He'd get in the dumpster at the club so often that I bet it was never emptied without checking for him first.

He was a big lovable doofus.

I have had several as neighbors. labs are one of the best breeds for families and great with kids. the chocolate lab across the street has been good even my aspie, who was very scared of dogs. (dogs move and are therefore unpredictable. he never had a bad experience with a dog to create the fear.) they're smart. they love to play fetch - so get one of those ball throwers (they have to go further ;p) they also like water. do watch out for the tail . . . . tends to whip things because it's always going. ;p

Oh, I just went back (new here and not a lot of time to get to know people yet) and read your posts last month about the beagle. If the beagle was too high maintenance I would not recommend you get a lab. Maybe revisit your breed choices (probably not a working class dog) and get an older dog instead of a puppy?

Am I the only person who has had a bad experience with a lab. My family had a golden lab when I was a kid. I loved that dog but he was nuts. We just were not active enough for him. My mother took him on mile plus walks every day. On weekends he was swimming in the bay and running on the beach. It was not enough. I can't count the number of shoes he chewed up ( a lot of those shoes belonging to friends). He only listened to my mother. Ultimately we sold him to a woman who owned a farm and jogged 5 miles every day so he would have lots of land to roam. After him we went back to German Shepard Dogs.

I'm not a huge fan of labs either. I think they are great, energetic dogs but most families today do not seem to have the time to work with them and then they get nuts.

I love our mutt dog and I'm happy he's only 1/4 lab. But if I could pick a breed to magically suck out of him, it would be the lab.

Our labradoodle has a very "lab" personality. High energy, wonder chewer, people loving, neurotic about not being with his people, etc. Both from the wonderful advice from people on this board and from my volunteer work in a shelter I have learned so much in the nearly 2 years we have had this dog. We didn't get him as a small puppy (18 months and full grown), but he still had the puppy energy and many of the puppy behaviors.

The biggest reason people surrender labs to the shelter is that they do not understand how important it is to exercise the dogs both physically and mentally as well as how essential it is to train your dog.. These dogs need lots of exercise and a fenced back yard doesn't cut it. They need to be walked ... a lot. We give our labradoodle about 4-5 miles a day, no matter the weather - even crappy Chicago winters. Walking often wasn't enough. We play fetch a lot to tire him out. The old saying "A good dog is a tired dog" applies and you would not believe how much it takes to tire out a dog. A small puppy may tire out after a shorter walk, but they will be reenergized in lickety split time. They also need mental exercise. Training and games are important. Can I repeat that? A bored dog is a destructive dog. If you cannot give the dog a lot to keep him occupied (and occupied means with supervision), then you will be inviting problems.

Someone above mentioned the Easy Walk harness. They are great to keep that arm in the socket if your dog gets "distracted" by a squirrel - I highly recommend them for big dogs. But, the do not replace good "loose leash" training. The dog needs to be trained to walk on a loose leash without pulling. Even though we've had our dog for nearly 2 years and he walks great most of the time, I still need to keep an eye on the landscape watching out for possible "bolt-worthy" distractions (a.k.a. squirrels, other dogs, other dogs' bones, food related garbage) so that I can distract him before we get there.

The chewing phase lasts a long time - at least 2 years. We spend a small fortune on chew toys and bully sticks. Our wonderchewer can rip through even the toughest stuffed toy in 20 minutes. For him, stuffed toys need to be disemboweled as quickly as possible so that he can decorate the house with the white fluff. We have many pictures of him laying in the remnants of stuffed toys like a drunk on a bender surrounded by spent bottles of booze. He has chewed shoes, computer mice, a cell phone, leashes, and the arm of a couch (new). It took us a while to get a handle on the chewing and keep ahead of him to prevent destruction. We have to buy a new nylabone about every other month. We save peanut butter jars so he can work to clean them out. But, we have to watch him to make sure he doesn't ingest any of the plastic pieces he chews off in pursuit of the last bits of PB out of reach.

Little puppies grow up to big big dogs who can hurt people if they are not taught to keep 4 paws on the floor. They need to be taught not to jump. They need to be taught proper "meet new people and dogs" manners. They will grow to be stronger than you. I have permanent tendonitis in my elbow from walking really strong shelter dogs.

Labs love people. They love them so much that they can be complete pests. They will beg for food if you allow that behavior. They will swipe food off counters when you are not looking if you don't train them not to. They will lick your face if you are lying on the couch. They will need to be in the same room as their people and bark if you try to gate them away from you.

While I love these dogs (especially our wonderchewer), they are a lot of work. Please don't get one if you cannot commit 100% to properly training and caring for the dog.

I don't know anything about labs, but wanted to chime in on the Easy Walk harnesses. They work wonderfully. My mom has a large breed mutt that is an idiot. She has pulled my mom off the stairs at least once. She was hit by a car a while ago (it was her fault/my sister's fault for walking her without a leash by the road). After that, I went over and showed my mom how to use the harness. We had gotten it at a yard sale without instructions and my mom hadn't bothered to look them up. Omg what a difference it made. She tugged once and decided that was totally uncool. After that, easy peasy walking. You do need a fixed length leash though and cannot use a retractable one with it.

Okay, I'll say that after all of the answers I'm not so sure a lab is for us. I'd like something fairly low maintenance in regards to grooming and exercise. We don't mind SOME exercise but I don't know that we can commit to the amount it sounds like labs need. Any other ideas for breeds? We don't like tiny dogs.

Okay, I'll say that after all of the answers I'm not so sure a lab is for us. I'd like something fairly low maintenance in regards to grooming and exercise. We don't mind SOME exercise but I don't know that we can commit to the amount it sounds like labs need. Any other ideas for breeds? We don't like tiny dogs.

What happened to your beagle(s)?

What happened to your beagle(s)?

We rehomed the first beagle in December with a family we know well once we realized that getting two puppies at once was not a good idea. A friend was looking for a beagle recently and knew I was struggling with what our other beagle needed so we did decide to let the other beagle go knowing it was to a good home. We have never had anything like that happen before. We had our first dog for 12+ years until his death last fall. We know we want a dog but we need something lower maintenance than the beagles which is why I was just ASKING about labs. We are not jumping into anything. We are just looking and thinking about it. It is heartbreaking for us because we LOVED our old dog and he was our baby. That was such a good experience with him but he's gone now. :(

In that case, I would not recommend getting a puppy at all. Get a dog that is 2yo or older who is already known to be laid back and low energy. They do exist. Puppies are a LOT of work.

As far as breeds go, you should maybe look into Pyrenees or Newfoundland. They are huge dogs, but are generally very laid back. We had a Newfoundland-Lab mix who was wonderful and amazing. She was over 100 pounds and was easily bossed around by my youngest at 3yo. They drool and shed a lot, but their exercise needs are much less than many other breeds and in the house, they will mostly be a pillow for your kids to climb on.

I believe you really, really need to think things through to get a better idea of what kind, if any, dog you really want.

First, I think you need to rule out puppies. Period. Regardless of breed. Not only because of what's happened with the two beagles, but because of the ages (and number) of your children. Young kids are a lot of work. Puppies are a lot of work. Together they're often simply way too much work. And the puppy is the one who'll pay the price.

Second, what breed/mix was your previous dog that you loved so much? What size was he (full grown)? What was his coat like? Short like a beagle or lab? Longer like a German Shepherd? Wiry? Did he need professional grooming? Can you afford regular professional grooming? What exactly was it about him that made him such a perfect dog?

Third, figure out exactly what you're willing/able to do to exercise a dog, both on a daily and weekly basis. Do you have a securely fenced yard? If so, how big is it? How many times a day, and for how long each time, can either you or your DH (not a child) leash walk a dog? Will it be possible to work in longer hikes or trips to a dog park on weekends?

I would not consider a lab to be a low maintenance dog, especially not a puppy. Any puppy is a ton of work. After adding a 1 year old lab Wheeler mix a year ago I will probably never do a tiny pup again. She is still busy and active, but integrating her was just so easy. She is very attached and a joy.

I would get in touch with rescue groups and "interview them". Find one that Will work with to find a fostered dog that will meet your needs temperament wise, and consider breed a distant second.

Then enroll in the best training class you can find, that uses operant conditioning, or clicker training to establish a bond with your new dog and get the ball rolling on setting you all up for success.

Tethering the dog to you is also IMO the best thing you can do with a new dog. It helps with bonding, and leaves little to no room for accidents or destructive behavior which even adult dogs can partake in when stressed and unsure.

I am in the midst of puppyhood with a 4-month-old miniature schnauzer, and I can tell you, puppies are WORK. This dog is small (about 10 pounds now, expected to be 15-20 pounds full grown), but she needs 3 walks per day (2 short ones, just on our street, plus one longer walk of about 1/2 mile), plus 4-5 additional "potty breaks" outside every day. She chews/eats everything left on the floor - today it's been a pencil and a kleenex the kids dropped. She is teething, so she goes through periods every day where she MUST have something in her mouth - even if the only thing within reach is someone's fingers. She is every bit as much work as a baby or toddler, without the postpartum hormones, :) but requiring much more "outside" time.

With that said, I love her dearly but would not have been able to handle the extra work when I had actual toddler children. Even being a small "low maintenance," "low exercise requirement" breed. My kids are about to turn 11 and 9, and the timing is perfect for our stage of life.

The kids can help with feeding, playing with the dog, and taking her out for a quick potty break (i.e. to pee), but they do not walk her by herself because they aren't quite ready to pick up poop on walks (which is required by county ordinance here). Keep that in mind with ANY dog you consider. Can you leave the house BY YOURSELF to walk the dog? Are you prepared to pack up the whole family 2-3 times each day to go for walks? I usually walk her by myself around 6:45-7:00 in the mornings, when my kids are getting up, doing morning chores, and getting their breakfast ready, then again around 12:30 while they might be finishing up school (and one kid might come with me if they're done with school), and again around 5:30 when one kid might come with me.

It's so true what you read when preparing to get a dog.....if YOU aren't prepared to give 100% of the care this dog requires, don't get a dog. Don't expect your kids to actually contribute anything to the equation.

I believe you really, really need to think things through to get a better idea of what kind, if any, dog you really want.

First, I think you need to rule out puppies. Period. Regardless of breed. Not only because of what's happened with the two beagles, but because of the ages (and number) of your children. Young kids are a lot of work. Puppies are a lot of work. Together they're often simply way too much work. And the puppy is the one who'll pay the price.

Second, what breed/mix was your previous dog that you loved so much? What size was he (full grown)? What was his coat like? Short like a beagle or lab? Longer like a German Shepherd? Wiry? Did he need professional grooming? Can you afford regular professional grooming? What exactly was it about him that made him such a perfect dog?

Third, figure out exactly what you're willing/able to do to exercise a dog, both on a daily and weekly basis. Do you have a securely fenced yard? If so, how big is it? How many times a day, and for how long each time, can either you or your DH (not a child) leash walk a dog? Will it be possible to work in longer hikes or trips to a dog park on weekends?

I think you are right. A puppy is not a good idea for us right now. Especially with the age of my youngest. She is an ACTIVE two year old. Our dog that we loved so much was a beagle. But I guess maybe he was calmer than other beagles. My brother told me that our beloved beagle was the only "normal" beagle he'd ever met. :) He was about 40 lbs full grown. He was a great dog because he was playful, loving and low key. He was obviously short haired so no grooming beyond brushing. He was AMAZING with the kids. He never once snapped at him and they dressed him up, etc. He'd go check on them every night before bed then settle down in our room.

We have time for a longer walk once a day. I meant only that my kids would take the dog out to go to the bathroom in OUR yard. I do not allow my kids to walk the dog outside the limits of our property. Ever. Longer walks could be had on weekends and sometimes during the week. Especially this time of year with it getting darker later.

This is my ideal. A medium-large dog with short hair. Playful, fairly obedient and easy to train. WONDERFUL with children. Not a huge, constant need to exercise. I don't want a dog that will lay around all the time but I don't want a super hyper dog either. I know we DO want a dog but my husband is the one that wants a puppy. I just want a dog. And DH leaves for work each day and it's on ME to deal with a puppy. Which I can't handle right now.

Like I said, we are just thinking about this right now. But if we do get a shelter dog that is older how do you know if they won't have major issues with kids, etc? My brothers dog is a great dog for him but she's a rescue and she is HORRIBLE with kids. I'm a nervous wreck when she's around the kids because she feels threatened easily.

Thanks for the advice.

Contact your local rescues, they will have a full profile on their dogs so you can avoid MOST of the "Are they good with..." fears. Some will even let you foster the dog you are interested in before officially adopting them so you get a "trial" period.

Keep in mind though some may outright refuse to adopt to you. We have some rescues here that will not allow it if there is a child under 5 or 6 in the house.

I've only had Labs. Best dogs in the world.

That said, they are nightmare puppies, our last 2 have been shelter dogs about 18 months old. Easy to find a purebred lab about this age, because by this age many people who did not research and fell for the cute puppy have had enough. I know lab puppies that have eaten decks- literally chewed the supports so badly the whole deck had to be torn down. I'm not real into that kind of work, so we scoop up the almost- grown puppies (lab puppy stage last til about 2) and they are fabulous dogs- easy to train (completely food motivated), gentle to a fault, just incredible dogs. easily housebroken (as older puppies, anyway).

Are you getting a puppy? Because with a 2 year old, I would not recommend it. It's a whole lot of work and chewing. I can pretty much guarantee your local humane society has a lab right now at an easier adult age that will make a fantastic companion to your family.

Amen. I love my Lab, and we have had many since I was a kid. But until they were about 18 months old, I wanted to strangle them daily, lol. Not sure what area you are in, but I know some reputable Lab rescues.

I would get in touch with rescue groups and "interview them".

But if we do get a shelter dog that is older how do you know if they won't have major issues with kids, etc? My brothers dog is a great dog for him but she's a rescue and she is HORRIBLE with kids. I'm a nervous wreck when she's around the kids because she feels threatened easily.

Truthfully, most decent rescues won't adopt out to someone who has gotten rid of two dogs in the last six months. I know for a fact that the rescue I foster for would decline that application. Most decent breeders wouldn't either.

Shelter dogs may or may not have issues. We have a great adult beagle that we are fostering right now. His only problem was that he was nervous in the house for the first week because he'd been kept outside. He's great with everyone, and spends most of the day sleeping. The other dog we are fostering is pretty mouthy and we are having to work hard to improve his behavior. Dogs may or may not have problems. Even good dogs can *learn* bad behaviors if that is what is reinforced in their environment. They are living creatures and it takes a bit of accommodation to fit them into an existing household.

Personally, I'd wait six months and reevaluate things then.

Like I said, we are just thinking about this right now. But if we do get a shelter dog that is older how do you know if they won't have major issues with kids, etc? My brothers dog is a great dog for him but she's a rescue and she is HORRIBLE with kids. I'm a nervous wreck when she's around the kids because she feels threatened easily.

Thanks for the advice.

We have adopted several older dogs (even a homeless dog from a parking lot). They all fit well into our family. Sure you can get bad apples, but that can happen with puppies too.

Our dog that we loved so much was a beagle. But I guess maybe he was calmer than other beagles. My brother told me that our beloved beagle was the only "normal" beagle he'd ever met. :) He was about 40 lbs full grown. He was a great dog because he was playful, loving and low key. He was obviously short haired so no grooming beyond brushing. He was AMAZING with the kids. He never once snapped at him and they dressed him up, etc. He'd go check on them every night before bed then settle down in our room.

I spent several years fostering for a beagle rescue. The way you describe your former dog is quite typical of a settled, adult beagle (two+ years old). And contrary to what your brother said, "normal" in a beagle isn't rare at all. Or at least not around here. From what I've learned from my online dog friends, breed temperments can vary somewhat in different regions, based on what the breeders in that area are doing right or wrong. However, your dog's weight wasn't a typical beagle weight. Was he very overweight? If not, it's possible he was mixed with something else. Beagle/basset hound mixes are pretty common.

If you decide that you really do want to commit to a dog, I highly recommend finding a good rescue group with dogs in foster homes and describing to them your family situation and what you're looking for in a dog. A good rescue group will be able to match you up with a calm adult dog that should be a good "fit" for your family. IME that's a much safer route to go than to get a puppy with an as-yet undeveloped personality. You can temperment test puppies, but it's not a guarantee by any means. It's really a crapshoot whether a puppy will grow up to like kids or not, be a nervous dog or not, be hyper or calm, etc. Whereas a LOT will be known about an adult dog that's been in a good foster home. As others have said, given your history of rehoming the beagle puppies you may find it a challenge to find a rescue group that will work with you. But I'm betting you can, and that it would be worth the effort.

3. Super smart, but also a bit neurotic. My lab is afraid of empty water bottles, plastic bags, and fireworks, she trembles in fear.

This is so true. The lab we had when I was growing up was terrified of this specific bridge at the park. He absolutely did not want to cross it and would just stop still. He did the same thing every time until we had friends staying with us and told them about it. Of course that time he walked across the bridge like it was nothing.

Our current little Copper is terrified of a little 8 inch dog statue my daughter found at a garage sale. He will bark at it incessantly and won't go near it.

I spent several years fostering for a beagle rescue. The way you describe your former dog is quite typical of a settled, adult beagle (two+ years old). And contrary to what your brother said, "normal" in a beagle isn't rare at all. Or at least not around here. From what I've learned from my online dog friends, breed temperments can vary somewhat in different regions, based on what the breeders in that area are doing right or wrong. However, your dog's weight wasn't a typical beagle weight. Was he very overweight? If not, it's possible he was mixed with something else. Beagle/basset hound mixes are pretty common.

If you decide that you really do want to commit to a dog, I highly recommend finding a good rescue group with dogs in foster homes and describing to them your family situation and what you're looking for in a dog. A good rescue group will be able to match you up with a calm adult dog that should be a good "fit" for your family. IME that's a much safer route to go than to get a puppy with an as-yet undeveloped personality. You can temperment test puppies, but it's not a guarantee by any means. It's really a crapshoot whether a puppy will grow up to like kids or not, be a nervous dog or not, be hyper or calm, etc. Whereas a LOT will be known about an adult dog that's been in a good foster home. As others have said, given your history of rehoming the beagle puppies you may find it a challenge to find a rescue group that will work with you. But I'm betting you can, and that it would be worth the effort.

No, he wasn't overweight. He was a 15 inch beagle. He was actually on the skinnier side to me. I would like something a little bulkier.

I will look into rescues. But again, we are just looking. Our experience with the puppies was rough but not typical of us. I just do NOT remember our older beagle being that crazy. Maybe it was because we didn't have a toddler at the time??

A 15-inch purebred beagle shouldn't weigh 40 pounds. I had 16-inch (English lines, 16" is within breed standard for those) and 32 pounds on her was a bit too much. 30 was better.

It is entirely possible that I have his weight wrong. DH took him to the vet more than I did. He was never overweight. I always felt like he could stand to put on 5 lbs or so.

I know what you mean about dh insisting on a puppy.

After Goldie died, we were looking for a new dog. The kids and I wanted to get a dog that was at least 6mo, but preferably between 9mo and 2yo. Dh insisted that no dogs could come into this house unless they were under 3mo. We ended up with a 2.5mo German shepherd puppy (although the shelter told us she was a labrador/border collie mix).

Dh has not done any of the work for the puppy, but the kids and I knew that was going to be the case. All of the work was going to fall on the three of us. The first several months were really rough, but she has been much easier since she got all her adult teeth. It really helps that she no longer needs the gate to keep her downstairs and that she is okay with being alone downstairs now so long as she isn't left alone for too long. Until she was 6mo, somebody had to have eyes on Kylie at all times unless she was in her crate. And that somebody was always either me or the 14yo or the 17yo.

Anyway, we figured we could deal with 6-9 months of rough times until she got to an easier age. My kids are older though and I don't have any little ones to take care of.

Well, I am no dog expert (I'm a horse person), but we recently got a Standard Poodle puppy when he was 3 months old. Sam is definitely energetic and requires at least two 25-30 minute walks a day, and usually we get in some play time in there as well. He does chew, so we have had to really keep an eye on him and correct him when he grabs things he shouldn't, like socks, T.V. remotes, etc.

However, he is an amazing dog. He is exceedingly intelligent. Within one day, he was going up the stairs. Within 2 days, he had learned how to go down the stairs as well. Within 3 days of putting a leash on him, he was already walking well, not pulling or balking, and so forth. And after 3 weeks of bringing him home, just yesterday he began sitting by the door to signal when he's ready to go out. We were told it could take a few months, so we're very happy!

Sam is a very social dog, too. He is friendly towards other adults and children, and never has growled or nipped anyone, and people LOVE him. But, somehow, he knew to growl when a guy with a ladder appeared at our back porch (was a landscaping guy). We are constantly told he is beautiful with his unshaved coat (he sort of looks like a sheep dog), and he is a creamy color (apricot is the term). His coat is very soft to pet, and he loves attention. He just went to the dog park today for the first time (he is just now 4 months old), and again, proved very sociable and got along with both big and small dogs, with no problems. His new best friend is a Corgi. :)

People are regularly surprised that he is a poodle and that's he's only four months old, because of his size. He is already showing some of the athleticism of his breed.

Anyway--sorry for the shameless brag for my puppy, but I just wanted to tell you that Standard Poodles are really a great breed. They are very smart (remember, circus dogs), very trainable, they bond well with families, AND THEY DON'T SHED. So, if you come across an adult Standard Poodle in a rescue or something, I'd recommend snagging him or her up!

P.S., I don't know that the miniature poodles are as tolerant of children. I have read that they can be snippy and less patient, so that's why I haven't recommended them. The big ones, though, seem to be very good family dogs.

Our labradoodle has a very "lab" personality. High energy, wonder chewer, people loving, neurotic about not being with his people, etc.

I didn't want to quote your whole post, but I just wanted to say that it is very good advice, and I agree 100%. Also, labradoodles are awesome. Years ago, a neighbor got two of them, and I used to watch them prance around their back yard with that distinctive bouncy gait. I thought they were so much fun to watch, because of how neat they moved and how high they could jump and run, etc.

The only reason we ruled out a labradoodle when looking for a dog is my son's 4+ allergy to dogs and dust mites. He has been getting allergy shots for 6+ months now, but even so, we were afraid that if we got a labradoodle, it would be more lab than poodle in the shedding and dander department. So, we went with the purebred Standard. Even so, it's really the saliva he's allergic to, so we're crossing our fingers his allergy shot regimen will be helpful.

But man, labradoodles are really awesome dogs!