Menu

If you were helping someone out by buying $20 in basic grocery's, what would you buy?

lynn

This would be for a young male student who needs a little help. Probably nothing that has to be cooked beyond a microwave would be good. I don't know about refrigeration, I believe he has basic utensils.

So far I have:

crackers

peanut butter

bananas/apples

poptarts

maybe some Ramen, chef boy r d, soups

loaf of bread

tuna fish

Well, honestly, I'd ditch the ramen, poptarts and the crackers in favor of soup, healthy granola bars, and bread.

Peanut butter for sure. They are not super healthy, but I have sent those Hormel Complete Meals to my son--shelf stable that can be made in the mic or in boiling water.

I sent my son a box of stuff recently--he does have access to a stove/oven, so I sent mac and cheese (you can get microwaved kind), tuna, soup, completes, beans and rice, granola bars and instant oatmeal, plus dried fruit.

Well, honestly, I'd ditch the ramen, poptarts and the crackers in favor of soup, healthy granola bars, and bread.

Peanut butter for sure. They are not super healthy, but I have sent those Hormel Complete Meals to my son--shelf stable that can be made in the mic or in boiling water.

I sent my son a box of stuff recently--he does have access to a stove/oven, so I sent mac and cheese (you can get microwaved kind), tuna, soup, completes, beans and rice, granola bars and instant oatmeal, plus dried fruit.

I like your list better. I woke up way to early to think this through....

LOL--It's hard to keep it under $20, that is for sure. I mailed him the box--so I used a "stuff as much in as you can for one low price" box from the post office--amazing how much fit! I think I spent about $40, but it got him thru til the food stamps kicked in.

I was going for survival, not as much for nutrition, so some things were pretty high in sodium but had calories.

I don't think I am following. When I read the post I understood that this guy has $20 to his name but needs food. But in reading further posts I am wondering if you mean YOU want to spend $20 on him for food? Are you needing to ship it?

Either I need more coffee or I am not fully following what is going on.

Hmm. If I were trying to keep it around $20, I think I'd get (these are 'regular'/non-sale prices I'd pay here in MI):

A loat of HFCS free 100% whole wheat bread (we get Aunt Millies) - $2.29

A jar of natural peanut butter: $3.49

A bag of either apples or oranges: $3.49

Three microwave ready bowls of EasyMac or some other sort of ravioli/ramen noodles: $4

A bag of sunchips or other healthyish snack, like veggie chips or whatever: $3.49

That's $16.76. I'd spend the rest on whatever I could find a good deal on. Some ideas would be:

Some drink boxes of milk; Somtimes Kroger puts the Horizons Organic milk boxes on sale for $1 each

A box of healthyish cereal, like Cheerios for example

those tuna salad packages that come with the tuna and mayo together

natural jelly/jam

100% juice boxes

individual cups of fruit or applesauce

perhaps a small treat, like right now I'd check out the clearance Easter candy (I'm sure this would be much appreciated by a broke college student)

Knowing me, I'd end up spending somewhere between $30 and $40 because I couldn't get him everything I wanted to for $20. :D

Going for cheap, filling, reasonably tasty, and somewhat nutirious . . .

Large peanut butter

Two loaves of bread

Ramen noodles x10

Granola bars

Honey (shelf stable substitute for jam) or jam if he has fridge access

Large box of raisin bran or similar cereal

Shelf stable milk - two three packs

Bag of apples

Bunch of bananas

Big box pretzels, flavorful crackers, or similar salty type snack like goldfish, etc.

I'd skip juices, as they are low in nutrition AND don't fill you up either. No veggies, I know. Sad!

I'd skip trying to buy heathy stuff. The kid probably just needs to eat. I'd look at what is on sale in your area right now. Chef Boy Ar Dee ravioli and such is on sale here for 68 cents a can. Large boxes of Cheerios (several flavors) for $2.50. Pop Tarts 18 in a box for $3.25. Mac and cheese boxes for under $1.

I'd skip trying to buy heathy stuff. The kid probably just needs to eat. I'd look at what is on sale in your area right now. Chef Boy Ar Dee ravioli and such is on sale here for 68 cents a can. Large boxes of Cheerios (several flavors) for $2.50. Pop Tarts 18 in a box for $3.25. Mac and cheese boxes for under $1.

Same here. Easy, filling, and cheap would be the order of the day if I was buying the stuff.

Forget healthy and go w/ cheap, filling, and what will give him the most bang for the buck.

Lg jar of peanut butter, bread, crackers, cans of tuna or chicken, cans of ravioli, hearty soups, mac n cheese if he can cook it, lg bag or box of generic filling cereal (cheerios or frosted mini wheats), maybe some canned fruit, cans of beans- like pork and beans, beanie weenie. Hot dogs! Eggs if he has a place to store them or cook them.

If you are shipping it, I'd send a gift card instead and add the cost of what you would have spent on postage to the value of the gift card. Shipping a $20 box of food could easily be $10-15 extra.

I was thinking the gift card would be a good idea, too, but then I got to wondering if the guy's local grocery store sells beer........................ :cheers2:

Of course, on the bright side, at least he wouldn't be thirsty.

This would be for a young male student who needs a little help. Probably nothing that has to be cooked beyond a microwave would be good. I don't know about refrigeration, I believe he has basic utensils.

So far I have:

crackers

peanut butter

bananas/apples

poptarts

maybe some Ramen, chef boy r d, soups

loaf of bread

tuna fish

as above, but add beans, rice, and orange juice.

I don't think that $20 would buy everything on your list, though.

What a good friend/aunt/neighbor you are for this young man!

I was thinking the gift card would be a good idea, too, but then I got to wondering if the guy's local grocery store sells beer........................ :cheers2:

Of course, on the bright side, at least he wouldn't be thirsty.

I'd just trust him. If I had reason not to trust him, I'd reconsider but for the most part, I don't think college kids will let themselves starve.

Perhaps he's an enterprising young man, and would trade some of the beer for food.

Or perhaps he doesn't drink. Stranger things have happened.

Oh course, I am also someone who doesn't care if money I give to a man on the street goes to beer or not. I gave it to him, it's his, he can decide what to spend it on.

Or perhaps he doesn't drink. Stranger things have happened.

Oh course, I am also someone who doesn't care if money I give to a man on the street goes to beer or not. I gave it to him, it's his, he can decide what to spend it on.

You know I was kidding, right?

Is there a way nowadays to send a gift card electronically? That way you wouldn't even have to use a stamp, let alone shipping costs. ... Honestly, I'd ask him what he would want. For every item on the above lists, there are many college students who would not eat them, and they'd be wasted (or given away, which is better, but doesn't get this guy fed). When I went to grad school, I bought a ton of cheap mini cans of vegetables etc. - thinking, nonperishable = smart. When I moved out two years later, 95% of the cans were still under my bed. They were tossed. Best intentions and all that . . . .

I had a friend who had $5 for his first week of college. He ate pb on bread everyday, 3 times a day.

My list looks similar to yours...

bread $2

pb $3

bananas $2

tuna 4 cans= $3

1# bag of carrots = $1

bag of salad = $2

bag of clementines = $3

ramen--6 = $2

tax = $2

I went for flavor....having eaten pbj sandwiches and frozen burritos WAY too often while putting myself through school, having variety is awesome. If he eats like my oldest boy, though, and has pots to cook in and a bit of skill, I'd buy a 5# box of rice in place of the ramen and clementines.

If I were buying for my oldest, I'd buy at our local Aldi:

big bag of rice: $3

box of oatmeal: $3

bag of apples: $3

cinnamon $1

loaf of bread $2

peanut butter $2.25

1# bag of carrots $1

eggs: $1.25

frozen mixed veg: $1.50

oil:$2

cinnamon apple oatmeal for breakfast, pb sandwich + carrots for lunch, fried rice for dinner---mostly rice with a hint of egg and veg...

All of the above suggestions were great . . . but add to that one of those giant sticks of pepperoni because it is awesome.

Add some triscuits and a block of aged cheddar and you will be a hero.

I do realize the package has been mailed and this is all for fun now :-)