Menu

What grade did you start teaching Grammar?

bttrflyvld

Not exactly what you asked, but we're starting this summer or fall. DD will be in first grade by age. She'll be six.

PS - We're using some combination of Evan-Moor books...maybe Language Fundamentals, Punctuation and Grammar, Daily 6-Trait Writing and Word a Day, I think. All on the first grade level. That's more than just grammar, I know. We're using AAS for spelling/phonics instruction.

We are going to start in a couple months when my oldest starts 2nd. He is 7 and will be a few months from being 8 when we start. I'm thinking with my younger children, we will start in 1st. But, I think it might depend on where they are with their reading. My oldest is/was a late bloomer when it comes to reading. He is 7.5 and just now becoming relatively fluent. It was a struggle. I think adding grammar may have just frustrated him more. We have talked informally about grammar though. My youngers who are a little over 5 may end up tagging along with my older. They really like to be included in everything he is doing. It's an experiement!

I started DS1 in 1st grade, but I totally could have waited for him. He picks up grammar easily. In fact, I had a hard time finding the right fit at that age because 1st and 2nd grade programs moved so S-L-O-W (for him). I should have waited until 2nd grade and started with a 3rd grade program. That would have been a good fit. I am glad I didn't wait until middle school or later, because I want to be able to discuss his writing in middle school. Even now, I discuss his writing with him some, and I use grammar terms. Just easier for both of us if he knows grammar. Oh, and he used FLL1, part of R&S2, and half of FLL2 in the 2nd half of first grade when I pulled him from school. He did part of R&S 3, half of FLL3, and part of KISS Grade 3 Level 1 in 2nd grade, then in 3rd we did the rest of KISS Level 1 and R&S 4. We'll keep going with R&S from this point. All of those changes were me trying to find the right fit.

DS2 will start in first grade with FLL1. I'm starting him early because he does not have a natural command of English grammar in speaking. He's getting better, but he's still "behind" his age level as far as speech is concerned, and I think learning formal grammar will help a bit with that. He also isn't reading on his own yet, so he isn't getting that avenue of grammar like DS1 was (he was/is an advanced reader). I think FLL1 will be a good fit. If he gets the noun thing right away (and I think he will), we'll skim through the 45 lessons on common vs. proper nouns. :D My plan for him is to use FLL1 and 2, then switch to R&S 3. I like FLL in those early grades, because it isn't just grammar, but also poetry memorization, discussing family members, memorizing personal information, learning to do a basic story narration, very simple copywork, etc. It's very age appropriate and gentle. I like R&S later on for the fact that there is some independent work involved.

DS3 may wait until 2nd grade for grammar and start a 3rd grade program then. He's my language guy, and he's also an early/advanced reader, so I don't think he'll have any trouble with grammar. He can follow the path I should have done with DS1. :D

I start whenever the child is a fluent reader but no earlier than K. Oldest DD did a condensed version of FLL 1/2 in K but DS had ZERO retention with that. So I just did Mad Libs, Schoolhouse Rock, and the Brian P. Cleary books until he was ready to start Michael Clay Thompson's "island" level in 1st.

I used The Sentence Family as an introduction to grammar when my boys were grade 4,2, Kinder, and preK. It was a big hit. We read MCT Island straight after.

Then I used JAG with older two when they were in grade 4 and 6.

I'm using FFL 1/2 with grade2/4 now.

I used some last year for first grade, FLL. I wasn't overly fond of the repetition and don't think there was much retention. We just started again about 2/3rds through our 2nd grade year w/ KISS- level one- 2nd grade workbook. I *think* it is sticking better this go around. He seems to work better with actual practice rather than so much memorization.

I start late compared to others. Usually 4th grade and then I hit it hard through 8th grade with Rod and Staff and have more recently added my own review/parsing system(I did some of this with my older children also). See my post on the Most repetitious grammar thread if you are interested in that.

My kids that have tested PSAT, SAT, ACT have done very well.

I started in first grade with dd and ds, but I wish I had had the courage to wait. With dd I did Shurley Grammar and she did fine with it, but it took a chunk of time out of our day (not to mention the horrible year when I tried to follow their writing *shudder*). I wish I had just addressed grammar as it came up in copywork and dictation until about 3rd grade or so. I tried FLL with ds, and I can't stand it. I stopped it and just did grammar with him during copywork and dictation, but it turned out he loves grammar and asked for more. So I continued on with FLL and added in some Shurley. I will probably switch him to KISS next year in third. Dd is doing KISS now and her understanding of grammar has really grown over the school year even though we have only touched on concepts she is already familiar with.

My oldest started with Rod & Staff 2 in second grade. She wasn't a strong reader until the end of second, but she's the strongest in this area. Youngest was reading at three and we started FLL in kindergarten but took it slow. She then started R&S in second grade.

We kept trying to squeeze it in. FLL just never took. We read MCT grammar Island, Mad libs, schoolhouse rock etc...

This is our first year really diving in at 5th grade. We are doing R & S this year and it has enough built in review that we are having no problem keeping up with it.

I started my daughter in 2nd and my son in 3rd. For my daughter I used Sheldon's Primary Language Lessons, a vintage book free on Google Books. Then I did FLL 3 and 4 before moving into Hake 5, where she is currently. She has liked all of them, but looking back I definitely don't think grammar was necessary in 2nd grade, and I think she could have just done FLL4 and moved into Hake 5 just fine.

My son started in 3rd grade with FLL 1/2, which I condensed, and then he moved to FLL 3. It didn't work out for him. He wasn't retaining anything. I switched him to Growing With Grammar, which neither of us liked and which I, personally, find to be a poor curriculum. After that I started him with Practical Lessons in the Use of English by Mary F. Hyde, another free Google book. He's doing better with that, but I probably should have just waited until he was older. He has language deficits, anyway, and he just doesn't really grasp grammar.

Having been through the grammar thing twice, both with an advanced and with a delayed student, I feel that grammar is best delayed until a child is reading and writing fluently. Maybe I'd feel differently if I had an average student.

Tara