Menu

WWYD: Neighbor's cat left a present on our front porch

extendedforecast

Guest inoubliable

Poop? Dead mouse?

I don't think you can say much. I'd probably kick the poop back over the line just because I'd be more okay with picking up a dead mouse than poop. Maybe that's just me.

Why would you say anything to your neighbor about it?

Just accept your gift graciously and go on with your day. :D

I would say something to the neighbors if their kids left a dead mouse or bird on my porch :ack2: , but I'd consider it a compliment if their cat did it. ;)

• Like 3

Sorry, I should have been more specific. It was poop turd nuggets. One time the cat ate a mouse and couldn't keep it in, so I had cat vomit consisting of mouse remains on the driveway. I let the neighbor know that the cat might be sick, and she came right over and hosed it down. She's a nice lady, but a bit of a busybody and has a longstanding feud with another neighbor. This is one instance where I would like to keep her on my good side. DH will be livid if he finds out. He already hates the cat fur on our outdoor furniture. I see the cat as an exterminator.

I believe the general rule of thumb is that you have a month to respond with a thank-you note. I don't know how to properly address, though--Miss? Master? Your Majesty? Probably depends on the cat. Maybe that should be the topic of a separate thread.

Terri

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Why would you say anything to your neighbor about it?

Just accept your gift graciously and go on with your day. :D

I would say something to the neighbors if their kids left a dead mouse or bird on my porch :ack2: , but I'd consider it a compliment if their cat did it. ;)

:smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5: Let's just say that while I wouldn't take it as a compliment if the cat left me a dead mouse or bird, I would at least be thankful if it was a mouse. Rodents creep me out.

Poop?! Huh...highly unusual. Must be something wrong with the cat.

Is there a lot of snow on the ground?

This is an elderly cat with cancer. No snow. It could be their other cat who is only allowed outdoors during the day. I was told that it was brain damaged from an accident when it was a kitten.

• Sad 2

I believe the general rule of thumb is that you have a month to respond with a thank-you note. I don't know how to properly address, though--Miss? Master? Your Majesty? Probably depends on the cat. Maybe that should be the topic of a separate thread.

Terri

I love cats. I would probably go with Your Highness.

• Like 2

I would leave treats for the cat to thank her for showering you with admiration by leaving you a generous gift.

Ok, maybe not. LOL

I dunno, did you see the cat actually leave it there?

Not the end of the world. Better than the cat peeing on your door. We have a cat that pees on our door. Stinks!

I could not deal with cat pee. It did pee on my son's swim suit I left out to dry once. I learned my lesson then.

This is an elderly cat with cancer. No snow. It could be their other cat who is only allowed outdoors during the day. I was told that it was brain damaged from an accident when it was a kitten.

From what you've said, I wouldn't say anything. Clean it up and go on with your day. No need to get worked up about a brain damaged elderly cat leaving a pile on your porch. I get annoyed when neighbor cats poo in my garden, but it's part of the whole "outside" thing.

• Like 1

Are you sure it was the cat? That is unusual, they don't usually do their business on a hard surface, and they like a more private location. Could it possibly have been a raccoon? We get raccoon droppings in our yard. I recently pointed out the difference to a neighbor who thought it was somebodys cat leaving gifts. Raccoon's aren't as picky as cats about where they go, and they don't try to bury the evidence.

• Thanks 1

Are you sure it was the cat? That is unusual, they don't usually do their business on a hard surface, and they like a more private location. Could it possibly have been a raccoon? We get raccoon droppings in our yard. I recently pointed out the difference to a neighbor who thought it was somebodys cat leaving gifts. Raccoon's aren't as picky as cats about where they go, and they don't try to bury the evidence.

I don't think there are raccoons out here, but I could be wrong. I suppose it could be that or an opossum. I don't want to become an animal poop expert, so I'm just going to pick it up.

:iagree: And they also like to do it where they can easily bury it when they're done. Sand is a favorite. If you didn't actually see the donation being made, I wouldn't bet on it coming from the cat.

• Like 1

I don't think there are raccoons out here, but I could be wrong. I suppose it could be that or an opossum. I don't want to become an animal poop expert, so I'm just going to pick it up.

We didn't realize we had raccoons in our yard until they moved into our attic. Stealthy little meAnies. >.<

I would also say probably a feral animal other than a cat if its just sitting there. I have 5 cats and I've never known a cat to do that unless it was trapped without options.

• Like 1

Sorry, I should have been more specific. It was poop. One time the cat ate a mouse and couldn't keep it in, so I had cat vomit consisting of mouse remains on the driveway. I let the neighbor know that the cat might be sick, and she came right over and hosed it down. She's a nice lady, but a bit of a busybody and has a longstanding feud with another neighbor. This is one instance where I would like to keep her on my good side. DH will be livid if he finds out. He already hates the cat fur on our outdoor furniture. I see the cat as an exterminator.

:smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5: Let's just say that while I wouldn't take it as a compliment if the cat left me a dead mouse or bird, I would at least be thankful if it was a mouse. Rodents creep me out.

Based on all this, I would not say anything. Sounds like you like the neighbor and you like cats so probably best to just pick it up and forget it ever happened.

• Like 1

It does seem like a very weird place for a cat to poop.

I wouldn't say or do anything unless it becomes an ongoing problem.

For picking it up, if it truly bothers you -- Stick your hand in a plastic bag (make sure there aren't any holes). Then fold up a paper towel and hold it with the hand in the bag. Now you've got a couple of layers of paper toweling (more if you fold it smaller) and a plastic bag between said poop and your hand. Pick it up, pull your hand so bag turns inside out. Release hand that's holding poop. Tie bag and dispose of in trash.

• Like 1

What would telling the neighbor possibly accomplish?

I'd remove it. It's not as if the neighbor can control where his outdoor cat does her business.

But I agree that this is very untypical for a cat to do - are you sure it was the cat? Our outdoor cat NEVER ever poops somewhere visible; cats bury their feces.

• Like 1

Although she said the likely cat culprit is quite ill. So that is possible.

True. But in my experience, sick cats don't poop on the porch. They do it in the one room of the house that has carpet. Or on a hard-to-clean welcome mat. Or on the front seat of the car if you leave the window down. Never on something that easy to clean, though.

Terri

:smilielol5: :smilielol5:

It does seem like a very weird place for a cat to poop.

I wouldn't say or do anything unless it becomes an ongoing problem.

For picking it up, if it truly bothers you -- Stick your hand in a plastic bag (make sure there aren't any holes). Then fold up a paper towel and hold it with the hand in the bag. Now you've got a couple of layers of paper toweling (more if you fold it smaller) and a plastic bag between said poop and your hand. Pick it up, pull your hand so bag turns inside out. Release hand that's holding poop. Tie bag and dispose of in trash.

I was going to do this without the paper towel. I like the added layers/thickness. Thanks for the idea.

I can tell I've brought in all the cat people by your avatars, lol. Thanks for the help.

So it's on my front porch, which has brick rather than concrete. Do you think a shovel would work, or just a plastic bag?

Uh....just pick it up with paper towel and dump it in a plastic sack. Then throw it in the trash. Then go about your day. It's just poop. What's the biggie? :confused:

Just posting to get my avatar on the cat poop post.

Meow!

(I'd do what everyone else recommended, and I also think it might not be a cat. Even my very elderly incontinent cats tried to hide their accidents.)

When I saw it, I immediately thought it was the cat, then I thought it was odd, since they do like to bury their BMs. I thought about it, and figured that the cat was the only explanation. Now thanks to you all, I realize it's most likely from another animal. Either way, I'm going to pick it up. Now. Deep breath. Bye.

P.S. cute kitty!

• Like 1

After you clean it, dump a little vinegar on the spot to kill the odor. You don't want the cat to start using your porch as a litter box, so eliminating the odor can help with that. (I have found that white vinegar and apple cider vinegar both work and won't stain anything.)

Uh....just pick it up with paper towel and dump it in a plastic sack. Then throw it in the trash. Then go about your day. It's just poop. What's the biggie? :confused:

Well, the big deal might be that plastic bags have been banned from her community, and she can't use one! :leaving:

OP- agreeing w/ others that it probably wasn't a cat. More likely a roaming dog.

• Confused 1

My kids and I learned at the our science center this weekend that the official term here would be a scatologist. Yes, there are people that make a living studying animal poop.

• Like 1

Yes, my cat has a knack for throwing up on the one throw rug in my house. Seriously it's like she will run to that one rug no matter how far she is from it when she feels the urge to ralph.

Isn't that the truth!! In our last house we had 2,000+ sq ft of hard flooring and oh, maybe 65 sq ft of carpet. The cat would run from wherever else she might be just so she could puke there. They really are odd creatures.

:iagree: And they also like to do it where they can easily bury it when they're done. Sand is a favorite. If you didn't actually see the donation being made, I wouldn't bet on it coming from the cat.

hence the reason children's sand boxes need a cover for when they are not in use. I loathed the next door nieghbors cats when I was growing up.

Terri

I literally LOLed at this. :smilielol5: :smilielol5: