Menu

Help me think about this: 15&17yodds travel to London?

Jen in NY

Last night my husband came home and unexpectedly announced that his company will most probably be sending him to London within a week. We have always wanted to take the kids to Europe, but the expense has kept us from making the trip. Additionally, my oldest dd leaves for college in the fall, so I don't really see the $$ situation changing at all.

My daughters both have passports, but I do not. I am wondering if I have lost my mind --- because I am considering letting them go with dh. The thing is, they would basically be sightseeing on their own every day while dh works.

Have you ever been to London? Would they be able to get around safely on the metro? Would it be worth it to go if they had very little money, a map, a bag of trail mix, and a week long train ticket? (not really, they'd buy food, but you get my point)

I am off to look at websites that give advice like "London on a Shoestring" or something similar.

Mostly, I view myself as an overprotective mother and scaredy-cat traveler (ex:my parents lived in Germany for 5 years and I was too scared to go...), and I don't want them to miss amazing opportunities because of my anxiety.

What say the hive? Would you let your teenage daughters loose in London on their own for a week??

BTW, these are two girls that have never even been to NYC, so take that into consideration, please. :)

I would let them do it as long as they are together every minute.

My parents invited our 19yo dd to spend time with them in London this summer. We decided she couldn't go unless she could take a friend - my parents are not very active, and we didn't want her touring London alone while they napped in the room. And we saw the movie Taken (can't decide if I should recommend this to you as required viewing or not!). Anyway, dd is going with a friend. They will both be 20 by then, but I think I'd let them go if they were trustworthy 15 & 17yo. I've been to London. It should be perfectly safe during daylight hours, using public transportation in the major sightseeing areas. But remember, together every minute, and don't tell strange men where you're staying.

The museums in London are free admission so, yes, they would be fine without much money.

Do you feel your daughters have a good sense of direction? Can they read a map? The London tube has maps in the cars, in the station, everywhere. If they started out each day knowing where they are going and how to get there, they will be fine.

Forgot to say re: costs. London can be crazy expensive. Good idea for your to look at guide books on how to do it cheaply. IIRC, many attractions were free or low cost. But the food was ridiculous. So yes, send them with the trail mix so at least they can munch on that, and maybe split an order of fish & chips for lunch.

Last night my husband came home and unexpectedly announced that his company will most probably be sending him to London within a week. We have always wanted to take the kids to Europe, but the expense has kept us from making the trip. Additionally, my oldest dd leaves for college in the fall, so I don't really see the $$ situation changing at all.

My daughters both have passports, but I do not. I am wondering if I have lost my mind --- because I am considering letting them go with dh. The thing is, they would basically be sightseeing on their own every day while dh works.

Have you ever been to London? Would they be able to get around safely on the metro? Would it be worth it to go if they had very little money, a map, a bag of trail mix, and a week long train ticket? (not really, they'd buy food, but you get my point)

I am off to look at websites that give advice like "London on a Shoestring" or something similar.

Mostly, I view myself as an overprotective mother and scaredy-cat traveler (ex:my parents lived in Germany for 5 years and I was too scared to go...), and I don't want them to miss amazing opportunities because of my anxiety.

What say the hive? Would you let your teenage daughters loose in London on their own for a week??

BTW, these are two girls that have never even been to NYC, so take that into consideration, please. :)

My twin and I tagged along with our dad on a business trip when we were 16. Divorced parents, so just us. We explored on our own for a week, including trip to Versailles. And we didn't speak a word of French. People were very interested and kind to us bc we are identical twins and wore matching coats. :). Your children will have cell phones and travel in an English speaking country, so it seems safer than what we did.

I'm not sure if the world really has changed that much, or if we are all more paranoid now. No one thought anything of us doing that, parents or teachers... It was my only trip to Europe and I'm 44 now. Life circumstances haven't allowed travel, and won't in the future either.

I would let them go, but I traveled worldwide alone at a young age, younger than 18. Have them get a really good map of the city and plan things out for each day. London is pretty easy to get around and a huge plus is that there is no language issue.

Forgot to say re: costs. London can be crazy expensive. Good idea for your to look at guide books on how to do it cheaply. IIRC, many attractions were free or low cost. But the food was ridiculous. So yes, send them with the trail mix so at least they can munch on that, and maybe split an order of fish & chips for lunch.

:iagree: One thing that surprised me was that we had to pay to use the restrooms in some places.

Wow. You guys are all so brave! Thank you all so much for the great advice. Keep it comin', if you have more.

Dawn, you traveled the world alone when you were younger than 18?? I would love to hear about that!

I am leaning toward trying to see if we can work it out.... I mean, buying round trip tix at the last minute will probably be expensive, but you all are making me think we should at least try and make it happen.

I think the sudden nature of the announcement is making me braver than I would be otherwise. :)

I know several people who live or used to live in London. They all say that it's a very, very, very dangerous place, especially for young white (not that I know your race; just assuming) girls. The landmark touristy places are really spread out and you have to go through iffy places to get to them. I wouldn't let your girls go alone without some serious research into London's social problems and which areas are considered safe and which have been literally taken over by certain groups. I won't say more lest it turn political.

I know several people who live or used to live in London. They all say that it's a very, very, very dangerous place, especially for young white (not that I know your race; just assuming) girls. The landmark touristy places are really spread out and you have to go through iffy places to get to them. I wouldn't let your girls go alone without some serious research into London's social problems and which areas are considered safe and which have been literally taken over by certain groups. I won't say more lest it turn political.

:iagree: Having been there myself and with many friends who live there, I would never consider this for two girls. They would need to know exactly what areas they can go to and stick to the main tourist areas. Unless your girls are very street-wise and DH can drop them close to each area that they will visit for the day, I would not do it.

When I was 16 I went to Spain with a school group. As long as we stuck with a buddy we were allowed to explore Barcelona for most of the day before meeting back at the hotel. We didn't have cell phones and our Spanish was mediocre. Before the trip we were given explicit instructions as to how to safely carry and handle money while in public and what areas of the city we were to strictly avoid.

Wendy

I live in London, and have to disagree with this. My DDs are 14 yo and white and go places by themselves regularly, not just tourist places. They have never once been hassled and never once felt as though they were in danger. FWIW, we lived in a very "mixed" area. Their friends are also used to going places alone, taking buses or the tube, to school and clubs. That's normal around here, and we live centrally. Not when it's late night, but until around 7 in the evening or so.

I'm not sure what you mean by the landmark tourist places being spread out. That is certainly not my experience. It's possible to walk from the London Eye to Westminster Abbey to the Houses of Parliament to Buckingham Palace in about half an hour. I'd let my 11 yo do that, since he knows the way.

I think the biggest problem OP's dds would face is what happens if they get lost, or there is a problem with the tube or the buses. Pickpockets are a problem, but just be sensible and keep valuables close to your person. You'd need a good plan for where the girls were going each day, have them check in with your DH once they get there/once they leave, and have a backup plan if the museum turns out to be closed or the trains are running. I think there's a cab company that allows you to book cabs and hire female drivers, IIRC, so that might be an option. If DDs are sensible and can be trusted to do what they've agreed to do and be where they've agreed to be, and if there's a good backup plan in place for where to meet or what to do if something goes wrong, I should think you'd be fine.

OP, if they do go, and you want a London contact, you can PM me and I'll give you my mobile number.

If your girls are responsible, I'd allow it. We've always found London an easy place to get around, and if my dd were 17 I'd let her go in a heart beat. But, at age 15, she's already lived in Hong Kong and visited London, Paris, and other large cities of Europe and Asia. Since your girls haven't experienced a big city, are they nervous? What does your dh think?

I'd probably let them. My brother and I weren't much older when we went alone to Mexico City for nine days, and by all accounts Mexico City is far more dangerous than London. As long as they use their common sense, they'll be fine. And they'll have parental supervision at night, so it's not as if they're going to be completely alone for a week.

Absolutely!!! I traveled to France when I was 15 with two of my girlfriends. My father had a business associate look after us (and he sent us his car and driver if we needed it), and my dad paid in full, in advance, for dinners at the same family owned restaurant each night. The family was wonderful and so helpful to us. We were enrolled in school and lived there for almost 8 months. I traveled all over Europe and it was AMAZING!! Although I did stay out of the Communist block countries. LOL We went everywhere with our train passes and had a blast! We weren't the partying types, so we spent all our time in museums, shopping, and just seeing the sites. The subways were super easy to get around on (both in France and London), and it was a wonderful experience.

I know several people who live or used to live in London. They all say that it's a very, very, very dangerous place, especially for young white (not that I know your race; just assuming) girls.

Well. I assumed this was true after seeing Taken. :blink: But my dh convinced me that if American white girls were being kidnapped every day in London or Paris, we'd have heard about it via media other than a Liam Neeson movie. I've been unable to find a single reported case of this - if you have any links, I would honestly love to see them.

I haven't really told my girls that I am considering letting them go yet, although last night when dh announced that there was a good possibility he would be going they immediately tried to figure out how to get in on it. So I guess they are not nervous about it yet, Elinor. Maybe they will be if they find out it can actually happen!

I am waiting for the actual details from DH re the trip before I start ramping them up about it. Hopefully he will have something definitive to say when he gets in tonight - if he's not stranded at the office. :rolleyes:

Your children will have cell phones

Just an FYI on the cell phones, many (most?) American phones don't work in the UK without a SIM card. If you plan to have the girls communicate using your American phones, be sure to check with your provider before going.

A cheap alternative would be to get a monthly phone over there (about 10 pounds).

Because traveling and learning about other countries and cultures is our favorite thing to do, I would try and make this work if it were me. However, it depends on your girls. Are they sensible, careful, make good decisions? My kids have traveled quite a bit, sometimes alone, and as long as we feel they are prepared for most circumstances, with guidelines in place, we have felt comfortable with them doing so.

My high school graduate traveled to London for a week alone this past September before going to school. We found a hostel that had a women only dorm room in a safe neighborhood, got some good guidebooks (Lonely Planet is good), and set down some guidelines (back at the hostel before dark, etc.). I don't think London is any more dangerous than a lot of big cities. Our daughter is quite savvy about traveling, has a look of confidence on her, and is very tall. That probably helps!

She and her younger sister (17) just traveled around Ireland for a week alone. I helped them put together a general itinerary ahead of time, and again they were always back at their hostel before dark, stuck together, etc.

As long as your daughters stick together in public places, they should be fine. I always tell my daughters that if they ever find themselves in a situation that just doesn't feel right, then don't go wandering around looking for a public transportation stop. Go into the nearest public building and splurge and call a taxi and go back to their hotel/hostel.

Perhaps your husband can sit down with them at breakfast and help them plan their day. Get them a good map. The hotel probably has a concierge's desk that can help them, too. I've always told my kids to always have a look of confidence on their faces when they are out alone, like they have a very determined plan, even if they are completely lost. Also, remind them to keep their purses close. Pick pocketing can happen in any big city.

Lastly, most cell phones from the U.S. will not work there. My daughter who is studying in the UK now was able to purchase a cell phone there cheaply, like a tracfone. We also have an international cell phone that we bring out just when we travel, with a global sim card. It's expensive to use, but nice to have in an emergency.

Have you ever been to London? Would they be able to get around safely on the metro? Would it be worth it to go if they had very little money, a map, a bag of trail mix, and a week long train ticket? (not really, they'd buy food, but you get my point) Yes. Not a problem. Safe on the Tube and lots of free things to do - particularly free museums

What say the hive? Would you let your teenage daughters loose in London on their own for a week?? Calvin travels around central/tourist London on his own all the time.

Laura

I would let them do it as long as they are together every minute.

My parents invited our 19yo dd to spend time with them in London this summer. We decided she couldn't go unless she could take a friend - my parents are not very active, and we didn't want her touring London alone while they napped in the room. And we saw the movie Taken (can't decide if I should recommend this to you as required viewing or not!). Anyway, dd is going with a friend. They will both be 20 by then, but I think I'd let them go if they were trustworthy 15 & 17yo. I've been to London. It should be perfectly safe during daylight hours, using public transportation in the major sightseeing areas. But remember, together every minute, and don't tell strange men where you're staying.

Seriously...the movie "Taken" freaked me out. I made my teen daughter watch it, because she wants to go overseas alone!

Yes, together and TRUST NO ONE.

I would. London is not that hard to find your away around in. The hardest thing about the underground is learning to tell the difference between the district and circle lines(yellow and green) when boarding the trains. For food we go to food halls at major stores--M&S, Harrods, Selfridges. Plenty of McD's for emergencies. ;) Many attractions are free.

Sure - I'd let them go if they were game. I went on a school trip to France when I was 16 and we went out on our own in groups of 2 or 3 all over the place, including the metro etc. My brother and I spent a month travelling Europe along via rail all over when we were just a couple years older.

Sounds super fun! I'm jealous!

When I travel I always take lots of protein bars so that I have a meal without fuss whenever I need one. I would have the girls do the same as well as taking all that trail mix, lol. And jerky and candy too. Its fun to have American candy in another country to give to the hotel maid, or other people you might meet.

Absolutely! London is fabulous! The Tube system is easy to work out*, the attractions are great and not that far apart IMO, and even the ones that are spread out are along the Tube line, so once they know what they want to see, they can work out the Tube and hop on. London is wildly expensive though. There are many free museums, but a lot of the big attractions (Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, for example), do cost. They have a London visitors card, called the London Pass that saves a small fortune on entrance fees. One of the things included on the pass is a boat ride on the Thames River, which is really enjoyable. You can also add the travel option to it, which will allow them to use the Tube and buses. It was absolutely worth it, and in some places, you go to a special line, so you don't have to wait in the humongous regular lines. It also comes with a book that has maps and planning info it.

Oh, and the people in London are so friendly, IME.

*Funny story. I have navigated undergrounds, buses and trains in Paris, Berlin, Rome, Naples and tons of other cities, where I only speak a smattering of the language, but the first time I went to London, I got lost on the Tube in a country where I speak the language! How embarrassing! Once I figured out what I did wrong though, it was no big deal, but good grief, my own language and I mess up. *hangs head in shame*

When I was 16, I had only flown one time. I flew by myself to Berlin, and needed to figure out missed connections and the different language. I lived in Berlin for a year with a German family and travelled all over the city by myself. I would absolutely allow my daughter to travel to Europe with her sister and would likely allow her to travel there by herself. There's something about challenging yourself and moving out of your comfort zone to realize you (the teen) can handle things without a parental safety net that gives one confidence. It's one of the ways for kids to mature.

You can do things on this side of the Pond to make it easier.

Train them about the money, about the Tube, work together to come up with an itinerary . . . so it's not just an open week.

Find out where your dh's lodgings will be and work from there.

Yes, your dds will need 2 British cell phones.

Basically, you want to send smart, wise daughters, not gullible naive ones . . . but that's a life goal anyway & this trip will help them mature. With your dh available (presumably) in the evenings, they are only "alone" in the daylight.

And Taken is a FICTIONAL movie. It's like watching Jaws before going to the beach. :)

Wow! I can only say that I disagree. My sister (white) has lived in London for about fourteen years, since she was at university there, and she would not recognise this picture. She travels all over London by public transport as a Pilates teacher.

Like all cities, London has less good areas. So long as you stick to the touristy areas, the most you are likely to encounter is a pick-pocket.

Laura

And Taken is a FICTIONAL movie. It's like watching Jaws before going to the beach. :)

Thank you.

I would do it in a nanosecond, but I sent dd off to Paris after 9th grade where she was responsible for traversing the city to get to class and spent weekends exploring with various classmates - no adults. She also spent last spring semester in Beijing with very little supervision.

My only advice is to make sure you spend some time going over maps before they leave so that they have a vague idea about where they are in relationship to where they're going. Hotel is here, you take a left and walk two blocks to the train, train map looks like this, get off here, etc...

Tough choice. I'd hate to have my dc miss an opportunity, but I'd also hate something, anything, happening to them. I think I'd let them go if we had a plan for every minute of every day and it was well communicated. They'd have to agree to stick to the plan. Dh would have to be available in case of an emergency. When dh was available the dc would be with him.

There is so much to see in London. Most of it is easy and quick to get to by bus or metro. When possible, I'd choose the buses over metro when traveling in London. Cleaner and less crowded.

I know I would want my teens to have the opportunity.

What about a tour? Is it possible to book a bus tour with a company? I know it would be expensive compared to walking around. But, maybe you could map out the things that are close to the hotel and easy to find...good areas, won't get lost and close to dad. That might occupy two days if they sleep late and get in early. The other days, if they are with a tour group, then you can rest much more easily since there is something to be said for safety in numbers and with a tour guide and a bus driver, they have someone to report to if they have a concern. They may need to pack food and eat on the bus instead of going into the restaurants (unless food is included in the tour), but since they are students, likely this won't be odd.

Faith

I would certainly allow it. London is an easy city to get around it, and a good first choice for foreign travel, as there are few language problems. I highly recommend sending them with the "London Mapguide", which you can get from amazon -- it is a map of the city, but in a small booklet format which fits in a purse, you don't need to fold it up like a traditional map, and it is printed at a scale that is useful for walking around.

I know I would want my teens to have the opportunity.

What about a tour? Is it possible to book a bus tour with a company? I know it would be expensive compared to walking around. But, maybe you could map out the things that are close to the hotel and easy to find...good areas, won't get lost and close to dad. That might occupy two days if they sleep late and get in early. The other days, if they are with a tour group, then you can rest much more easily since there is something to be said for safety in numbers and with a tour guide and a bus driver, they have someone to report to if they have a concern. They may need to pack food and eat on the bus instead of going into the restaurants (unless food is included in the tour), but since they are students, likely this won't be odd.

Faith

Here's another idea. There's an open top bus tour that takes you around the sites in central London. Only other tourists will be on the bus and there's close to zero chance of getting lost.

Laura

Here's another idea. There's an open top bus tour that takes you around the sites in central London. Only other tourists will be on the bus and there's close to zero chance of getting lost.

Laura

Laura, this looks awesome, and if I am not mistaken, it looks like a 2 day ticket with hop-on/hop-off service. The museum route would be perfect!

I am so thankful to you and to everyone that has posted suggestions! I'm looking into every single one!

:thumbup: