Menu

There is a special place in hell...

Moxie

LOL I'd paint over wallpaper in a heartbeat if the situation called for it. I also know a very lovely stylish sister here with a *beautiful* home who painted her brick fireplace white. The exterior of her house is pastel brick and she'd paint that, too, if she could.

Hell couldn't hold us. We'd start painting there, too. :p

LOL I'd paint over wallpaper in a heartbeat if the situation called for it. I also know a very lovely stylish sister here with a *beautiful* home who painted her brick fireplace white. The exterior of her house is pastel brick and she'd paint that, too, if she could.

Hell couldn't hold us. We'd start painting there, too. :p

I agree. If we were buying this house that we're renting, our brick fireplace would have been painted the day we moved in. It is hideous, dark, outdated, and dreary.

LOL - we have a number of walls here with painted wallpaper. I've ignored it so far and just painted over it.

It's very special when people layer flooring too. We've discovered our kitchen has hardwood-linoleum-carpet-plywood-cheap stick down plastic flooring. Super klasssy.

LOL - we have a number of walls here with painted wallpaper. I've ignored it so far and just painted over it.

The problem is, there's a limit to how many layers of paint the wallpaper can hold. It will eventually start to detach from the wall by itself, possibly while you're painting it. Except, it won't ALL come down, because huge swathes of it will still be really stuck, with no good way to get the adhesive off because the layers of paint have formed an impenetrable layer.

Painting over wallpaper = too much stupid in the room.

And the people who hang wallpaper directly on drywall.

How about people who wallpaper over drywall, then paint the wallpaper, then chain smoke for 20 years onto said wallpaper?

Or people who install a hardwood floor and cut no holes for the intake vents for the heater/air conditioner?

Or people who refinish the walk in attic with cardboard?

Or people who glue all the windows shut, and even glue a door shut including placing cocking in the locking mechanism?

In general, I agree with you.

However, there must also be a related place in hell for people who apply wall paper directly onto bare drywall/wallboard without any prep, such that if you try to remove the wall paper as you know you should, the wall board comes off with it, forcing you to pay to have the wall board repaired so that you can put an oil-based primer over the wall paper and paint over it. Just sayin'...

And the people who hang wallpaper directly on drywall.

Oh, yeah. I shoulda read all the replies before I posted the same thing. Four bathrooms and a kitchen, all with wallpaper applied directly to unprimed/unsized, bare wall board. Not to mention wall paper applied *around* light fixtures, instead of installing the light first then wall papering, such that if you replace a light fixture, there's a big block of bare wall board because the new fixture has a smaller base than the former one. Yeah.

Sister, that is no lie.

I'd like to add, trowl texture on walls so thick that it has to be taken down to stud and redrywalled. A very special place, I think.

oh, pick me!

How about that nasty, fake brick stuff glued to the wall with black tar (my parents called it z-brick in the 70's)? Our first house had it EVERYWHERE. There was no way to get it off the walls so we had to just paint it and hope we looked "artsy". :)

oh, pick me!

How about that nasty, fake brick stuff glued to the wall with black tar (my parents called it z-brick in the 70's)? Our first house had it EVERYWHERE. There was no way to get it off the walls so we had to just paint it and hope we looked "artsy". :)

Ah, the artsy defense! Excellent choice. And Z-brick? *shudder*

The problem is, there's a limit to how many layers of paint the wallpaper can hold. It will eventually start to detach from the wall by itself, possibly while you're painting it. Except, it won't ALL come down, because huge swathes of it will still be really stuck, with no good way to get the adhesive off because the layers of paint have formed an impenetrable layer.

Painting over wallpaper = too much stupid in the room.

We have plaster walls so we haven't seen that happen. But putting wallpaper over plaster walls seems like another brand of stupid! And believe me, we weren't the ones to originally paint over wallpaper. Since we have plaster and lathe, sheet rocking would be a whole other level of nightmare. We just gutted remodeled 2 bathrooms, which did eliminate one of the wallpaper/painted areas. Yay.

In general, wall paper is a bad idea. If you must have a design on your wall, stencil or something.

Two words

Popcorn ceilings

We had to re-sheetrock every ceiling of our first house. It was a lovely adventure.

We did the drywalling thing, too, but we were very fortunate to be able to have it done before we moved in. I cannot imagine living through the mess that is drywalling a ceiling. I was finding pockets of drywall dust for years. Who ever thought popcorn was a good look for a ceiling???

Terri

I'm guilty of the crime of painting wallpaper. Tried and convicted and headed straight to h*ll. AFter the many adventures we had peeling (ugly) paper from the sheetrock it was glued onto, we just couldn't face that again. The paper is solidly glued to *something* and had no intention of coming off.

How about tiling the bathroom floor with wall tiles, glued (with Elmer's, we suspect) onto plywood?

How about tiling the bathroom floor with wall tiles, glued (with Elmer's, we suspect) onto plywood?

That sounds like out house! All the bathroom floors have the same white shower tiles as around the tubs!

When we were first married we rented a house from some friends who said we could repaint if we wanted to. The hallway had peeling wallpaper that had been painted. We attempted to remove it to repaint. Turns out the walls had been painted, wallpapered, painted, wallpapered and painted again. We never did get it all off before we moved out!

I'm guilty of the crime of painting wallpaper. Tried and convicted and headed straight to h*ll. AFter the many adventures we had peeling (ugly) paper from the sheetrock it was glued onto, we just couldn't face that again. The paper is solidly glued to *something* and had no intention of coming off.

You can actually paint over wallpaper if you absolutely cannot get it off. You have to seal the walls really well, though.

Gluing tiles onto plywood? I am amazed they stayed put at all!