Menu

Would/Do you attend a church with different beliefs than yours?

Ottakee

For various reasons we are looking for a new church. Our current one is a smaller (150 people) rural conservative Baptist church. We do not live in a land of many Baptists.

A church we would like is about 40 minutes away and with teens we really want something where they could be actively involved (but once they put in the new highway---the one that made us move it will only be about 10 minutes). Other than that we would be looking at various local churches.

Would you attend one where you do not agree 100% with their statement of faith as long as there was good Biblical preaching/teaching? If so, how do you handle it?

This is hard as we have been at this church for 27 years (me) and 21 (dh) so this isn't a flip flop churches thing.

The more traditional Baptist churches that might be options are the 40 minutes away, 30 minutes away, and one an hour away. Just seems harder when you want to be very involved and be able to reach out to the community.

We have attended churches where we did not 100% agree.

depending on the statement we disagreed with, we might even join such a church.

But it really depends on what part of what is taught you agree/don't agree with whether it works out.

It can be really hard to find a church that is 100% in agreement. I remind myself sometimes of folks in other lands where they don't have nearly so many choices.

I agree that it would depend on what exactly you don't agree with AND if they expect compliance. For instance: If you didn't believe in dresses only for women but the church was a dresses only (all the time - not just at church). Could you conform or would it be okay if you wore jeans? Would they accept you or would you never really fit in?

Yes, I attend one, but as yet I haven't become a member, because I don't agree with the statement you have to make to do so. Even though it would save me thousands in tuition each year.

The church I attend (LCMS) is pretty conservative in the sense that they are right and everyone else is wrong. That's my biggest beef. They are also evangelical and they teach my kids that they should go push the religion on others, which my youngest (recently 6) has already tried to do. We have had some gentle talks and will continue to have more. We have relationships with folks of many faiths from all around the world, so evangelism isn't going to fly around here.

I doubt that there is any house of worship I could attend where I'd agree with everything said. I was educated in LCMS so at least I know what I'm dealing with going in. And I already told the pastor what I think about the member statement. He hasn't banned me yet.

Would you attend one where you do not agree 100% with their statement of faith / as long as there was good Biblical preaching/teaching?

How can you believe that there is one if you already do not agree with their conclusion/basis? This statement seems contradictory. One will reflect the other.

Yes, we are permitted to attend an RCC if there is no EOC around or ability to travel to one. We may not commune however.

I didn't even know you COULD find a church you believed everything they said for a LONG time. Generally, we chose a certain kind of church and just dealt. I looked online (yes, even way back then) for more information and research. I joined a couple online groups and hoped it would be enough. At one point, I wrote up a flyer, hoping maybe a couple people would feel the same and want to learn the truth about what the Bible said.

Anyway, in time, I found a group, a whole world-wide congregation. I "tested" them on a few things, but learned more than ever from them. I would never dream of going anywhere else no matter what now. Of course, unless I was in one of the few countries my religion is banned in, I'd always be able to find believers to meet with; so it isn't something I worry about.

It would depend on what the difference is and how it is stated.

I'm involved with one parachurch group that has a few statements I don't agree with 100%, but they also state with those issues that they respect differences of opinion and don't consider those issues fundamental. I feel comfortable with that.

On the other hand, I was on the board of another parachurch group some years ago that adopted the statement of faith of the hosting church, and there was one provision that I absolutely could not agree with. The way it was stated implied that it was essential and not up to debate. So for that reason (and others), I resigned.

How can you believe that there is one if you already do not agree with their conclusion/basis? This statement seems contradictory. One will reflect the other.

Yes, we are permitted to attend an RCC if there is no EOC around or ability to travel to one. We may not commune however.

Errr. . . no, EO are not permitted to do that.

As for original question, I like how PrincessMommy stated it.

No, I would not. My faith is intertwined into who I am and what I say and do and I could not be at a church where I disagreed with any of their stated dogma. That is why I never joined MOPS. I could not sign their statement of faith because I would have been going against my own to do so.

As others have said, it depends on the differences. If you say the basic Biblical beliefs are the same, are these differences minor to you? Are they minor to the church in question? Is it something that will affect your daily life?

We attend an ELCA church and will probably join this year, after a long time of searching. There are a few points in ELCA doctrine where I don't agree 100%, but nothing that's a deal breaker. I think for many people, it is very difficult to find a church where you're in complete agreement.

We attend a church with the same basic beliefs, but with differences on some doctrinal issues. In some ways, it is really good--I have to examine and reexamine what I believe, but sometimes I miss the community of common conviction. Wonderful people, we are deeply a part of our church, but don't feel part of "their" larger church organization nationally/internationally.

WE have done it a number of times. One time, the church was fairly in line what we believe but we had to leave due to baptism issues. Another time, we were long time attenders but would not join because of a difference in our interpretation of some spiritual gifts. It wasn't something evident in worship or Sunday School but it was in their membership documents and we couldn't sign those. OTOH, we have been members in both Presbyterian and Methodist churches and Presbyterians are Calvinist and Methodists are Arminians. But those differences were not only not mentioned in sermons, they weren't mentioned in any church document we had to sign or abide with. And really, I have met Calvinists in both Presbyterian and Methodist churches and vice/versa. So as long as I don't feel awkward with the differences (like I did with the Baptism) or have statements I can't agree with in the membership forms, I can attend if the Bible is preached and I think the preaching is sound.

I'm not sure why you would do that, unless the "different beliefs" were very, very minor.

For me it would have to be very small, like if the nearer church required head covering or kneeling to receive, but I haven't found that RCC have much er, "diversity" of belief from parish to parish unless you live next to a SSPX. I would not attend a church that is not in communion.

edited because I can't spell today.

I think the answer will depend on how long it will take before the highway is built. You could conceivably do the 40 minute drive for 6 months, but not for 2 years, for example. Or you might attend a church you wouldn't join for 6 months, but not for 2 years. If it's only a short time, you might even try out a bunch of different denominations, a bit of ecumenical tourism while you wait for the highway to be finished.

I hope you find something that works for you.

I have never found a church that I saw eye to eye on with absolutely everything. Ofcourse that could be because I am non-denominational. But for me their are 4 key things that I look for in a church:

1. They believe in the Bible and make it the center of their teachings.

2. The Gospel is presented accurately, and they believe the same things as I do about who Jesus was.

3. They take the job of the church to operate as a family and take care of one another seriously.

4. They are not legalistic about things that are not required for salvation. Salvation is not by works but by the grace of God.

As for doctrinal issues, I will ofcourse try to find a church where I agree with as much as possible, but if they have those 4 things down, I would not let small disagreements get in the way of fellowship.

Your post is very similar to our situation, including the small rural Baptist church! We are fortunate in that it is actually quite liberal for a Baptist church, and recognizes that there are people in the congregation whose beliefs might differ from the Baptist church stance, and they're okay with that. It's not the perfect church for us, but the people make up for any differences in beliefs because they are very sweet and humble.

We've always just talked with our kids that some beliefs within the Christian faith are crucial and others aren't, and it's okay to disagree on some things, and we do. :)