Menu

How do you feed men?

mommymilkies

Lot of whole grain carbohydrates - they provide the energy but the fibre makes the men feel fuller and the energy lasts longer. Potatoes with their skins on are good, as is brown rice. I don't know if you can find gluten-free whole grain pasta. Are you able to adjust his insulin for extra carbs?

Laura

Ds really likes beans. Black beans are his favorite. I keep cans on hand for emergencies. But they are really easy to crockpot. He loves them with rice and will happily eat them several times a week. He likes pasta too.

We also but alot of cereal from Aldi. Cheerio type. Dh and Ds snack on it constantly. Much better for them then high fat salty stuff!

Oh, and homemade burritos, thanks to whomever posted that here. Can corn tortillas be used? I don't know if they're gf.

Can you post the link to the burrito recipe? My 15.5 year old is always eating. He and I need to have a 'baking/cooking' day to keep him in food. Otherwise, he raids the cupboards and eats the stuff I bought for the other kids' lunches.

Thanks!

My dh & ds (15yo & Type 1 diabetic) are the same way. I've found ds in the kitchen in the middle of the night eating cereal & a sandwich & whatever else he can find. He is always hungry, lol!

Some things that help: They both drink protein shakes once or twice a day. Or they will make a fruit smoothie and put protein in it. I also buy big bags of frozen chicken breasts from Costco for them. It is easy to thaw & cook a chicken breast and makes a great healthy snack.

We eat a lot of legumes. When my son lived at home, I cooked up a giant pot of lentil stew every week. I put everything that we had in it: usually cans of tomatoes, onions, carrots, potatoes, spinach, sausage if we had it (but I'd often make it meatless, too). He knew he could dip into it all day long, and he often did. Any kind of protein sits heavier in your system and makes you fill full longer.

Black beans is another favorite. We serve it in soups, in burritos, mixed with scrambled eggs, in lasagne (instead of meat). The flavor of them is just so good!

Guest inoubliable

Lots of lentils, rice, and beans. Keeping them well hydrated. Endless supply of fresh fruits and veggies to snack on (sticking with whatever is in season to keep costs down). DH is all muscle and needs to have constant fuel. DS12 is hitting that stage where his stomach is just an endless pit, and the little guys take after DH. I don't think I could afford to not be vegan.

Do you live some place where you can raise rabbits, chickens or better yet a pig to keep your family in healthy meat? I have a coworker who raises fifty chickens a year for herself and her dh. They grow fast, the chickens she buys mature in six weeks and they have a butchering day and they have organic chicken for a year. We ate a lot of meat every day but my father killed a deer and an elk every year so it wasn't expensive.

Lots of protein, lots of eggs, and bring on the fats.

Ds13 eats 5 eggs, toast (homemade bread) and coffee with whipping cream for breakfast. That will keep him until lunch. He's as skinny as they come. And I try and keep the grains down to a minimum here, because I don't want them having blood sugar problems. What I do have, I make, and try to sour.

My dh and dd11 have hollow legs and low body fat. We can not make it on 1lb of meat/day. I use 2-3 lbs of meat 6 out of 7 meals with little to no leftovers. They eat lots of fruit/veggies. I feed my dd carbs like rice, potatoes to fill in the nooks and crannies if she can't get satisfied with the salad and green veggies. Dh eats a large tablespoon of coconut oil when he knows he's going to have to wait awhile before meals. I'm not much help. It is expensive to feed these body types. High protein, high fat, good carb diet is what we do around here.

A few man-food menus, possible to do GF:

Breakfast

Eggs, whole-grain toast with butter, milk, juice

Oatmeal, almond milk, raw sunflower seeds or nuts, dried fruit

Buckwheat pancakes, butter, maple syrup, fried egg

Lunch or Supper:

Bean and cheese burritos, homemade, with Spanish rice, homemade, and slices of avocado

Ham, bean, and vegetable soup with biscuits or cornbread

Fennel bean and spinach soup, grilled cheese sandwich, apple with nut butter

Omelet and hash-browned potatoes, broccoli

Quiche, salad, homemade tomato soup (homemade because you can use plenty of olive oil sauteeing the vegetables, and quality fatty stock, and no appetite-inducing chemicals)

Chicken drumsticks, baked sweet potatoes with butter and brown sugar, green beans cooked with ham and onions

Pork roast stew with apples, carrots, red potatoes, onions, and rolls

Beef stew with potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, and cornbread

Sausage, red beans and rice

Shepherd's pie (I add beans and lots of vegetables to extend the meat)

Chicken pot pie (ditto)

Chicken and noodles, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, baked apples

My approach borrows from a few philosophies:

1. Whole foods, for a zillion reasons

2. Feed 'em like farm boys because their metabolism thinks they are

3. Stay away from processed foods because the chemicals are not recognized by the body and not metabolized properly.

Whole foods and being fearless about fat, protein, and enough whole-grain starches to satisfy, and ditching snobby attitudes about beans, is the cheapest in the long run, in my experience. If you try to feed them less food of lesser quality, they never fill up, and you're risking their health.

The "snobby attitudes about beans" comment is not directed at anyone in particular. It's just that every time I hear people complaining about getting enough to eat, in the next sentence they'll say that they refuse to eat beans. Well, most people can't afford three pounds of meat per day. Beans have fiber, carbs, vitamins, minerals, and staying power. If people can digest them and don't have blood sugar problems because of them (in other words, if they only objections are texture and taste), then I say get over it and eat your beans.

I'm about to say something that will sound harsh, but I'm not trying to just be mean. I hope you will take this in the spirit intended which is only hoping to be helpful by stating facts:

He's an adult. My DH has a much higher metabolism than mine, he works hard, and he really likes to eat, but both of us are capable of going to bed hungry when there's no money for extra food. Sometimes adults have to do that. Sometimes our suppers are a little scrawnier than we'd like but that's poverty. At least we had supper.

Set aside the necessary food for your kids and yourself first, since you know he'll eat up the rest.

If he's still hungry after eating up the rest, he can get another job to buy himself more food or he can apply for food stamps or he can start doing the most labor-intensive extra cooking. He can't eat your food or the children's.

You have the right to put your foot down on this.

It's not harsh. And it's my fault. I don't say anything. I had a really weird food situation in my home growing up ( stepfather wouldn't allow us to eat "his" food and only bough us bulk frozen pizzas and Mac & cheese for years), so it's my issue. I don't tell him I'm hungry. I don't tell him that I want extra or even as much as I put out for everyone else. Of course, he doesn't ask and often takes the last of things he proclaims he dislikes just to "finish it off". But we were just raised in different food cultures. Kwim? So it's my fault. I just don't know how to tell him this gently. I don't want him to feel guilty.

I don't let my kids go hungry. Ds probably gets less meat than he wants, but he is the one with the growing boy appetite. Lol. I feel sorry for Golden Corral when my mom takes him there! ;)

Plate up the food in the kitchen so you get enough, and let him scrounge for the rest if he's still hungry. I keep a bowl of hardboiled eggs in the fridge or cans of tuna for dh to raid if he needs some protein later on in the evening.

You might also try serving dinner in courses....a soup (broth based), a salad, and then the main dish.

My dh eats a lot, but we manage to make 1 pound of any meat last 2 dinners plus dh's 1 lunch. We occasionally eat 1 pound of meat for one dinner. E.g. 1 pound of beef shepherd's pie with lots of peas, carrots, potatoes for two dinners, 1pound of ground turkey with all sorts of chopped up veggies for potsticker filling that last two dinners, 1 pound of ground turkey with 3 or 4 cups dried beans and other ingredients also lasts 2 dinners. Dh always has lunch to bring out of this. We have two boys age 10 and 8.

I guess we don't eat as much as some do.

I know the American saying, "Where is the meat?" I often ask instead, "Where is the vegetable?"

Dh has taught dc to ask before taking the last food on the plate, "Does anyone want this?" and only when no one else wants it can you take it. Maybe by teaching your dc this, everyone can think of others' needs more than their own.

Not for anything, but why are you so worried about "telling him gently?" :confused:

He's your husband, not an occasional guest in your home. Say what you want to say and let him deal with it. He's a grown man, not a toddler. He can handle it.

And honestly, I can't even blame the guy for eating so much -- he has no idea that there isn't always enough food to go around, because you never tell him! Give the man a little credit for kindness and compassion, and let him know what's really going on. If he gets annoyed with you about it, it's more likely to be because you never told him there was a problem, than he is to be angry that he has to share some of his food. I seriously doubt that he would intentionally deprive you or any of your kids of food... but he will keep doing exactly that if he isn't told what you have told us.

Plate up the food in the kitchen so you get enough, and let him scrounge for the rest if he's still hungry. I keep a bowl of hardboiled eggs in the fridge or cans of tuna for dh to raid if he needs some protein later on in the evening.

You might also try serving dinner in courses....a soup (broth based), a salad, and then the main dish.

:iagree:

Not for anything, but why are you so worried about "telling him gently?" :confused:

He's your husband, not an occasional guest in your home. Say what you want to say and let him deal with it. He's a grown man, not a toddler. He can handle it.

And honestly, I can't even blame the guy for eating so much -- he has no idea that there isn't always enough food to go around, because you never tell him! Give the man a little credit for kindness and compassion, and let him know what's really going on. If he gets annoyed with you about it, it's more likely to be because you never told him there was a problem, than he is to be angry that he has to share some of his food. I seriously doubt that he would intentionally deprive you or any of your kids of food... but he will keep doing exactly that if he isn't told what you have told us.

I would gently (to the OP) suggest this issue rests on her shoulders.

It is her issue as she never mentioned it to her husband. I would think if he realized the $$$ issue... he would share the bounty with her and the family? I'd doubt it would be a repeat of her childhood trauma.

I would say it's the same as feeding girls, but the boys' appetite is far fiercer than the girls. I have over 20 male cousins and three brothers. My girls i have to push to eat more sometimes, but my ds would gnaw at the table if he could. lol There really is no comparison from my experience!

Is there somewhere he can fish? For the cost of a fishing license (cheap) dh keep us in a protein source all last year. In fact, we still have some in the freezer I need to get out. Dh enjoys fishing, it's relaxing to him. We have a few free stocked ponds in our area. We ate a lot of catfish and bass last year. He catches, cleans, and I cook.

My dh is thin and has a high metabolism. He eats a lot. Nuts are another good source to fill him out.

Is there somewhere he can fish? For the cost of a fishing license (cheap) dh keep us in a protein source all last year. In fact, we still have some in the freezer I need to get out. Dh enjoys fishing, it's relaxing to him. We have a few free stocked ponds in our area. We ate a lot of catfish and bass last year. He catches, cleans, and I cook.

My dh is thin and has a high metabolism. He eats a lot. Nuts are another good source to fill him out.

*snort* dh is more of the computer game type. I tried to teach ds a couple years ago but froze up trying to get the fish off the line and had a panic attack. Lol Of course the water here is pretty polluted from corn runoff. I miss living near the ocean!we love fish! Maybe I can get my mom to teach ds. :) I have a friend whose dh hunts deer and turkey. I know they can use the money. I should ask her to get me some this year.

First, get yourself enough food!

after that, he can have leftovers.

Second, make snacks he can eat and when they're gone, they're gone. Make a plate that is ONLY his, and make another plate of snacks that are ONLY for the kids/you.

Put some extra freezer meals in the freezer that he can microwave if he's "starving" and needs an extra meal-- soup, chili, leftover portioned lasagna, etc...

Third, START COOKING FROM SCRATCH.

There's a strategic reason for this. If you cook from scratch, he cannot eat you out of house and home. He's alot less likely to start the whole process of making a large meal with all that work. he'll complain, but your budget won't suffer. He'll be looking in the cabinets for "goodies" (translation, convenience food, something "already cooked") and he will find raw pasta, rice, beans, flour, canned veggies, etc...

(ask me how I know! LOL)

I fully admitted it was fault. He knows how crunched the budget is, though. That part he knows. he doesn't know that i won't use certain foods because i know he wants them, so i'll go without. But the eating the cabinets bare he does realize becomes an issue. So he does know grocery money is a issue. I want to be kind about it because he's not doing anything wrong. He just grew up never having to share or think about others for anything, so having to share limited food with a group is just not on his radar. He is getting better about it, though. I suppose I also feel guilty at not being able to bring in income to help. He can not get a second job, it is against his teaching contract. I didn't mean for this to turn into a thread about my dh, just about filling (gf) foods.

I don't think anyone has suggested that you be unkind about it; being open and honest is not being unkind.

And you don't have anything to feel guilty about -- it's not like you're sitting around all day watching television and arranging for tennis dates with the ladies in the neighborhood!

No one is blaming anyone here -- your dh doesn't know there's a problem, so he's not to blame, and you're being so kind and nice and sensitive to his feelings that you're depriving yourself rather than simply telling him what's going on. It's hard to criticize you when the worst thing you're doing is being too nice! :D

Seriously though, many of us grew up in homes where we had everything we wanted and never had to share anything with anyone, but that doesn't mean that if circumstances changed, we would be horribly damaged or traumatized by having to make do with less. I really think that, in your own mind, you are probably exaggerating your dh's feelings about the food, and that if you just explain the situation, he will be fine with doing whatever is necessary to ensure that there is enough food to go around for everyone.

I hope I didn't offend you in any way -- it's just that I hate to see you deprive yourself when I'm quite sure that it's the last thing your dh would ever want you to do. :grouphug:

We are GF too. We do not like to eat a lot of meat; DH and I are perfectly happy being mostly vegetarian, but we have one DS whose protein needs are higher so we add some meat in. I have discovered that if I cook a kilo of chicken breasts and put them out as "breasts" they are all eaten and people still seem to be hungry. However, I can make chicken nuggets from 1/2 kg of chicken and everyone seems to be satisfied and we have some leftovers. Maybe it is just some weird visual trick my family falls for, but it is working for us.

My DH eats a ton too. I go to the grocery store every two or three days b/c my fridges (plural) can't hold any more. He is on a pretty strict paleo diet, so that means lots of vegetables, meat, and eggs.

One thing I do, so that we have "forced" leftovers for lunch the next day (for him and sometimes for me as well) is when I plate everyone's food, I purposefully take the amount necessary off for lunch and put into a container in the fridge.

Meaty soups and stews work great for big appetites too.

Third, START COOKING FROM SCRATCH.

There's a strategic reason for this. If you cook from scratch, he cannot eat you out of house and home. He's alot less likely to start the whole process of making a large meal with all that work. he'll complain, but your budget won't suffer. He'll be looking in the cabinets for "goodies" (translation, convenience food, something "already cooked") and he will find raw pasta, rice, beans, flour, canned veggies, etc...

(ask me how I know! LOL)

Sorry I messed up the quote! I do. Every single thing. Rarely we get chips if we're not doing Whole30 like right now and he'll eat a bag a day. I have to ration the kids because they will, too! Lol. I even make our own nut butters, granola, etc.

We are GF too. We do not like to eat a lot of meat; DH and I are perfectly happy being mostly vegetarian, but we have one DS whose protein needs are higher so we add some meat in. I have discovered that if I cook a kilo of chicken breasts and put them out as "breasts" they are all eaten and people still seem to be hungry. However, I can make chicken nuggets from 1/2 kg of chicken and everyone seems to be satisfied and we have some leftovers. Maybe it is just some weird visual trick my family falls for, but it is working for us.

Good idea. They really fly through those tenders! I'll make them into nuggets next time. I was veg most of my life but since going gf I am just hungry for meat so much. Weird change!

I'm feeding 3 men (dh + 18yos + 15yos) & if I let them they would eat me out of house & home. Don't get me wrong, no one goes hungry, but I think people can snack just because they are used to snacking, not because they are hungry. Same with eating heaps at dinner. This month I am doing the Low / No Spend challenge, shopping my pantry/freezer/garden first. An January 1st I took stock of what we had & rationed out some things to make sure we didn't get to mid-January with not much to eat. Usually we go through 2+ loaves of bread a day. Dh would come home from work & make 4+ pieces of toast & jam to tide him over until dinner. My boys would do the same. Now I make one loaf of homemade bread & it last the day. I used to slice a plate of cheese & open a box of crackers for us to have with the news. It all would be eaten (1 box crackers + ~1 pound cheese). Now I make a plate for each of us with 6 crackers & cheese. Everyone eats slower, but is just as satisfied. Sometimes I'll put out a platter of veggie sticks instead & that is just as welcome.

Some filling foods that help to fill up my men include:

---oatmeal for breakfast (ds#1 always eats oatmeal as if he eats anything else he's starving before morning tea at 10:00)

---cans of tuna

---milkshakes

---fruit/yogurt/milk smoothies (ds#2 has this often for an afterschool snack)

---hardboiled eggs

---using "real" full fat foods (i.e. butter (not margerine), full fat milk, yogurts, cheeses, etc.)

---stuffed baked potatoes (another favorite snack for ds#2)

---quesadillas

---popcorn (sometimes if dinner is lighter, I'll tell my boys that I'll make popcorn in a hour. They are happy to wait.)

IMHO before our generation people never ate until they felt full. They ate what they were served & were thankful for that. It wasn't until I moved overseas that I realized that the typical serving size for Americans was much, much bigger than what people ate outside of the States. And I believe it is much bigger than what previous generations were served. Are your men underweight medically? Or do they eat a lot because it is a habit?

I often serve up from the stove. This gives me control to keep some back for lunches or if someone will be eating later because of sport practice, etc. If there is dessert or extras for 2nds I let people know, otherwise they know there is always porridge if they are still hungry. I aim for using about a pound of meat / dinner. Other meals are left-overs or much less meat. No one has starved yet.

Since your dh is a Type 1 diabetic, I suggest that he do some research about amylin. Amylin is a hormone normally secreted by beta cells, which are nonfunctional in a Type 1. Amylin is responsible for slowing digestion and also for promoting a feeling of satiety after eating. Some Type 1's never feel full. Together with a naturally high metabolism, he may be capable of eating tremendous amounts of food without unacceptable weight gain. He may need to realize that it's okay to stop eating even though he's not "full".

I keep a rice cooker full of rice at most times. Some ppl don't consider rice healthy but Im Asian so everyone I know was raised on rice with only a tiny bit of meat. Huge bags of potatoes are cheap, they can be nuked in the microwave in a few minutes. You can make a pot of beans for pennies, add just a bit of ground beef and that can really stretch. Huge pots of potato soup, the crockpot makes this a snap. I am not claiming that this is the healthiest menu, but these are some cheap gf foods that can fill up a hungry stomach. I do know that "gluten free " breads, pastas and baking mixes cost a fortune and I would avoid such things. And prepackaged snacks and foods, which cost a lot but are also so tempting.

Edited for typos....darn ipad!

I post about burritos a lot, but I don't know if I ever posted a recipe. They're my answer to everything. If you prep them, you can control the ingredients. I wrap them in plastic, then foil, and freeze. I defrost in microwave for four minutes, then toaster oven for 10-15. It's a complete meal. To make 'em cheap and filling, fill with:

Brown rice (I season it with lime zest and cilantro)

Beans (black or pinto . . . Cook them yourself)

Meat (a little taco meat, or cheaper still . . . pulled pork slow cooked in salsa and seasonings)

Veggies and salsa ( I mix my salsa with a little yogurt to get a creamy, sour cream tanginess that freezes well)

Cheese

By loading up on rice, beans, and veggies, you can really stretch your meat and cheese. If you can't find GF buritto shells, I'd do portions without the shell to reheat in a bowl. It would probably look nicer if you separate your rice and cheese from the rest and assemble after it's thawed (don't thaw cheese first, just melt during last 5 minutes in the oven.)

I've heard you can freeze breakfast burittos, but I've never tried.