Menu

Do you love your dishwasher? (If so, which one do you have?)

Heart_Mom

We're dishwasher hunting and I'd really like to find one that:

1. truly washes dishes well (our current one one produces clean dishes if they go into the dishwasher looking clean)

2. has a large loading capacity

3. is relatively quiet

If you like yours, could you tell me the brand and model and what you like about it? Bosch seems to be rated well, so if you have one I'd be curious of your opinion. I think we're looking in the 600 - 700 dollar range, but am open to going higher if need be.

Thanks!

I have a new Bosch and I like it. It definitely washes dishes and is quiet. The capacity isn'st super large, but not small either. Normally it's about $800 but I got it off Craigslist for $400 because they delivered the wrong color for someone doing a kitchen remodel and I guess they couldn't return it.

No! I hate it! It's a KitchenAid, and the way it's set up makes no sense. It also doesn't dry the dishes well, even when it's on Heat Dry. We'll be remodelling the kitchen soon and doing away with it.

We had a Bosch in our old house, and it was wonderful. I never had a moment's complaint about that dishwasher in 11 years of using it.

I LOVE my KitchenAid. It was in the $700 range. I can look for the model name/number if you want, I don't know it off the top of my head. It is very, very quiet. Dishes come out perfect. I would recommend buying as much as you could afford. I really do use most of the features, especially the powerblaster (not sure if that is what it is called!) in the back for really hard to clean/baked on pyrex dishes.

Whatever you go with, make sure it has a lock feature, if it's in an area where it will get bumped. I am so glad mine has this, if I forget to turn it on, the buttons are SO sensitive it turns on with the slightest touch when getting things out of the cupboard.

I have one of the lower-end Bosch dishwashers and I hate it. Part of it is a plumbing issue, so not quite the dishwasher's fault, but the button panel is very flimsy and cheaply made. Sometimes you have to turn it off and on several times to get it to start properly. Sometimes the "delay cycle" just never kicks on. It is one of the "energy efficient" ones, meaning NO dry cycle (not even air dry), and it gets really nasty on the inside unless you leave it open all the time. Then you trip over it a lot. Even though it's only a couple years old, I'll be replacing it when we get around to remodeling the kitchen.

I got the very cheapest dishwasher that had two arms.

Then, I make my own dishwashing detergent using 6 parts cheapie detergent and 1 part potassium permaganate from chemicalsupply.com.

Potassium permaganate is what they took out of dishwashing detergents back when they all stopped working.

I don't even rinse. Just scrape. Stuff fully, wash on pots and pans, and almost everything is clean every time.

It is loud, though. Cuz it was cheap. (We had to do an emergency remodel of two bathrooms AND buy a new car when our dishwasher died unexpectedly.)

No! I hate it! It's a KitchenAid, and the way it's set up makes no sense. It also doesn't dry the dishes well, even when it's on Heat Dry. We'll be remodelling the kitchen soon and doing away with it.

We had a Bosch in our old house, and it was wonderful. I never had a moment's complaint about that dishwasher in 11 years of using it.

Did your Bosch dry the dishes? I am looking at buying a 500-600 dollar Bosch model, but people complain about the wet dishes.

Okay, our dishwasher - the mechanial one - was from a garage sale and we paid $5.00. It has run very well and done a good job until this past year. It's worn out and needs to be replaced. My best bet is the poor thing is 20 years old which is very elderly for an appliance in this day and age.

As for the other dishwashers - the teen boys - yep, I love them a lot and they do seem to be large capacity, at least taking into account the way they eat! :biggrinjester:

Faith

No, but I REALLY hated our last one. I can't tell you the model, but it was a stainless one from Samsung that was brand new a few years ago and which is still being sold, and everything about it was awful. We had a repairman in within 2 weeks of putting it in, and several more times after that. It would randomly have error messages that the repairman couldn't figure out, even after replacing the motherboard, several valves, and some other stuff.

It also was designed in such a way that unless the bottom drawer had very little in it, the detergent dispenser couldn't open at all. Huge frustration and total waste of money.

We just bought one like this. We've had it for 7 months now and I absolutely love it!

I had a bosch all picked out and when I went to look it, it was so, so tiny!

So, we went to Sears and told the salesman our price limit and what we were looking for. This one fit the bill.

This dishwasher fits an entire day of dishes for a family of 4. It's not billed as quiet but it really, really is.

I never wash dishes before I put them in the washer. It cleans super good.

The tip we were given was to use vinegar in the rinse dispenser instead of JetDry. Seems to work really well.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you.

Miele. I loved a Bosch we installed in a previous home. It was a low end one but worked great. My understanding is that the lowest end ones are perhaps not as well made, etc. now that the lowest end ones are being made for big box stores. When it was time to put a new one in our current home, we were planning for a mid range or above Bosch, or a Miele. We happened to get a great price on the Miele and went with that. THe gardenweb forums have great info on Miele and Bosch as well as some other brands.

edited to add: from reading gardenweb, make sure the installer actually follows the instructions for installation. Miele (and I think Bosch?) require a top loop or something like that and sometimes installers install incorrectly because they don't read the directions. They can be different than other DW installs.

I LOVE my Bosch. It cost around $500. There was only one Bosch that was cheaper but the only difference was color. Very quiet, cleans well, drys great. The drying is "self-induced" from the stainless interior as there is not an actual drying mechanism. No problems with smell, and it is only open for loading/unloading. Cleans up well too, as far as maintenance goes. I would buy another Bosch in a heartbeat!

I LOVE my Bosch. It cost around $500. There was only one Bosch that was cheaper but the only difference was color. Very quiet, cleans well, drys great. The drying is "self-induced" from the stainless interior as there is not an actual drying mechanism. No problems with smell, and it is only open for loading/unloading. Cleans up well too, as far as maintenance goes. I would buy another Bosch in a heartbeat!

This is what we have, stainless steel interior and all, but nothing is ever dry, unless I leave it open all night. I might try turning my water temperature up again, because it's not rinsing out the "goop". I have to clean the filter with a toothbrush every week and the gunk still won't come off. We only replaced our old one because of a broken part we couldn't replace, but we never had this problem before.

This is what we have, stainless steel interior and all, but nothing is ever dry, unless I leave it open all night. I might try turning my water temperature up again, because it's not rinsing out the "goop". I have to clean the filter with a toothbrush every week and the gunk still won't come off. We only replaced our old one because of a broken part we couldn't replace, but we never had this problem before.

I've had mine about a year. I've seen little goop in the filter. Only once, and I check it monthly (it's on my task list :)). Almost everything gets dry UNLESS I put my large cutting board in the plate section, at the very back, where the door closes. It took me a while to figure that out.....

Mine cleans well and holds a lot, but it was cheap ($400 range) and sounds like a jet engine. I set the delay so it goes off in the middle of the night when we're sleeping on another floor.

It takes approximately 12 years to run a cycle. 9 years on the 'quick' cycle. I will pay attention to how LONG it takes the next time I buy one.

We have Miele and I love, love it! We've owned several different brands through the years, including Bosch, but the Mieles have been my favorites. They are so quiet when running that someone can stand in my kitchen talking to me and not even realize they are on. They usually notice the little red light and then ask in astonishment if they are indeed running. The model we have has a vent feature at the end of the cycle. This pops the door open slightly and allows any residual moisture to escape.

Mine cleans well and holds a lot, but it was cheap ($400 range) and sounds like a jet engine. I set the delay so it goes off in the middle of the night when we're sleeping on another floor.

It takes approximately 12 years to run a cycle. 9 years on the 'quick' cycle. I will pay attention to how LONG it takes the next time I buy one.

:rofl:

We have a Bosch that we got about 4 years ago. It was around $600 with a stainless interior. I was pretty happy with it for the first few years (well, except for the top rack--I don't like the way the "prongs" are arranged--my bowls don't fit, and I find it hard to load efficiently up there). It is very quiet. Actual dishes get dry; plastic things do not, esp. those on the top rack. This past year, however, we have started having a problem with things (again, mainly on the top rack) just not getting clean. Our cups are always getting this gritty stuff on them that is really hard to get off. And we have the same problem with goop in the filter! I have started rinsing everything off before putting things in, because that helps the gritty goop problem, but it doesn't solve it entirely and--what a waste!

I will say that this dishwasher gets a LOT of use, since we are a big family (11 of us). My brother got the same Bosch model the same month as we did, and they have had no problems whatsoever. Of course they only have 2 kids, who are in school, so I don't even know that they run it everyday, whereas we often run it twice a day, LOL.

Our Whirlpool, Quiet Partner 1, 5 years old, wasn't getting top rack clean and was also quite loud. We just this week got a Fridgidaire Gallery, not stainless steel interior, on sale for $460. It is so quiet that I can't really tell that it is running sometimes. The dB is 53. Nice.

Most appliances made in these times, instead of lasting 20 years, HAH! last 5, don't they?