383 members have voted

1. 1. Where did you get married?

• Church
    • City Hall
    • Outdoors
    • Vegas
    • Hotel
    • Other

We got married in the open air courtyard in front of a restaurant. I do remember that it didn't meet the technical requirements for a place where a marriage could legally be performed, although I can't remember if it was because the restaurant had a liquor licence or because it was outdoors. Maybe both! The minister we found to officiate signed the paper anyway. In South Africa, at least back then, there were no secular celebrants outside the court system (magistrate).

I'm a thinking we have some very interesting stories here. Perhaps we should have a spin off of WHY people married the way they did. ;) We were boring. Church ceremony. Of course we did take wedding pics of all of the wedding party playing volleyball in their wedding clothes. [that's how we met.]

Guest inoubliable

A Catholic Church. DH and I are atheist, but I'd made a promise years and years ago to my grandmother just before she died. She was devout and wanted me to be married in her church. DH was adamant about honoring that promise, even though he'd not had the honor of meeting her. So we did.

I married my ex in my brother's backyard (and my dear SIL, on meeting him the first time, whispered to me: you can get married in our back yard. So we did, 2 years later.)

Hubby and I said "I agree to be your spouse" to each other in front of the hospital chaplain by the sunny windows outside the cath-lab at the hospital where I used to work. It was Halloween. Kiddo was best man, and came dressed as a pumpkin. I timed it for lunch break so some nurses could make it. Someone even threw rice.

We planned out wedding in less than a week.

We got married in a Justice of the Peace's office in a strip mall. They did have a podium and metal chair seating for 20, so it very loosly resembled a wedding. We had about 15 guests and my dad walked me down the aisle.

Ha! I got to vote Vegas, Baby! But, dont get all excited. I've lived here since the mid 1980s. LOL

We got married at Rainbow Gardens. They have an indoor garden room with pretty vines and flowers hanging from the ceiling. It was beautiful then and I got an opportunity to attend a wedding there several years ago. Wow! Now, I'm jealous! They've done so many improvements since the mid 90s!

So, normal wedding, in Vegas.

Now. We're renewing our vows in 2014 (20 years). We will be married in a (me) a gogo dress and (dh) a powder blue ruffled tux complete with white shoes. We will be married in a little chapel on or off the strip by Elvis. Yes. And I'm paying extra money for the skinny Elvis not old, fat Elvis. And I want him to call dh my hunka, hunka burning love. We are inviting friends and will be taking lots of pictures. A real Vegas extravaganza!

We were married in our own backyard on the patio near the rose garden (which is no longer there b/c they were all fussy hybrid teas that I had no time to take care of). We closed on our house two weeks before the wedding. It was very stressful, but everyone said it was one of the best weddings they'd been to. It's one of the reasons I'd find it difficult to sell/leave this house. All of our photos are from either inside or outside of our house. I wrote the ceremony and a JOP officiated. We had some Bible readings and poetry too.

Dh is almost 10 years older and lived at home and saved and I had a small inheritance that gave us just enough for a small downpayment. Money was tight, but we managed. Sometimes I get annoyed by all the financial advisors and their perfect plans. We did not follow all the 'rules' for how much money we should have put away, but it all worked out fine.

We were married in a church. However, we were suppose to be married in the gorgeous back yard of the church, instead of inside. The morning of our wedding we had a huge thunderstorm which flooded 3 major creeks in the city (including the one near the church). The back yard quickly filled with water, so we moved the wedding inside. Our reception was held in the activities center of a college.

What an interesting thread. We got married in a very traditional ceremony at the same Catholic church James Bond's parents were married in. It is absolutely gorgeous. Neither JB not I are "believers" so it was kind of odd that we got married in a church, but it meant a lot to JB's parents, so whatever, as long as we got married.

I wanted to get married at my uncle's country club or the Bragg-Mitchell Mansion in the historic distric of Mobile, AL, but everyone pushed for the church and I caved. My dad offered us $10K if we would elope, saying it would be less than the wedding was costing, but my mom would have slayed us all.

Oh, wait, no, I REALLY wanted to get married in Disney World in one of their Cinderella ceremonies, but it was running upwards of $50K at the time and that was a bit out of our price range.

When I was very small (ages 3 -6) we lived in the faculty apartments on campus at the university my dad taught at. He would come and get us after church (my parents did not attend) and take us to the adjacent gardens. He continued to do this even after we moved to a house. He would tell us stories about those gardens involving a rabbit named Uncle Wiggly, a storybook we had. So we got married in those gardens and then had the reception at the church.