Menu

Breastfeeding baby doll: creepy or groundbreaking?

My DD would breastfeed just about anything as a toddler/preschooler. I'm pretty sure I have a picture somewhere of her breastfeeding a stuffed T-rex. It hardly seems like something you need a special doll for. Just stop including the bottle in the bundle with the baby and you're good.

The funny thing is that since she had oral-motor issues that affected feeding, I EP'd for her-so she wasn't breastfed, but I guess we were around enough other moms who were that by age 2 or so, she considered it the default.

The weird thing to me is that any doll can/is a breastfeeding doll just like any doll can be/is a doll that eats from bottles for with a spoon from a bowl. Kids can pretend their doll is whatever they want it to be, I'm not a fan of toys that have one very specific way they can be played with. I find the the halter top with nipples rather strange but neither creepy nor groundbreaking.

The weird thing to me is that any doll can/is a breastfeeding doll just like any doll can be/is a doll that eats from bottles for with a spoon from a bowl. Kids can pretend their doll is whatever they want it to be, I'm not a fan of toys that have one very specific way they can be played with. I find the the halter top with nipples rather strange but neither creepy nor groundbreaking.

:iagree:This is why I would edge toward the doll being creepy. Any doll will do the trick. Let kids use their imagination

Neither. My children have pretended to nurse their babies and bears. One child did ge frustrated that her baby would not "latch on" :)

:iagree: Mine too. As toddlers, my boys would take stuffed animals and pretend to nurse them. My oldest had to inform me that he knew he was a boy and would not be able to do that as a grown up, but he was a kid, so it was OK to pretend. :lol:

My DD would breastfeed just about anything as a toddler/preschooler. I'm pretty sure I have a picture somewhere of her breastfeeding a stuffed T-rex. It hardly seems like something you need a special doll for. Just stop including the bottle in the bundle with the baby and you're good.

Yup. "Creepy" only in the sense that there has to be a "special" doll to capitalize on something children do so naturally with any sort of doll or stuffed animal, as I see it.

Eta: though the concept of purchasing nipple-equipped garments is a little :ack2:

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

My dd used to bf her dolls when I was bfing DS. Natural and not a big deal. However, I wouldn't buy this doll. The apron is creepy!

I dunno. Maybe if my daughter had this as a toddler she would've had the decency to nurse discretely. As it was, she just hiked her dress up over her head when it was time to nurse her doll.

I dunno. Maybe if my daughter had this as a toddler she would've had the decency to nurse discretely. As it was, she just hiked her dress up over her head when it was time to nurse her doll.

Just like mama. :D

(my kids would have been seriously confused about putting on a nipple apron to nurse their babies. I mean, I'm not keeping mine in the closet between feedings...)

All my kids breast fed their baby dolls, even my boys. Not sure where the controversy is coming from. Personally I don't like the sucking sound thing though but then I don't like baby dolls that cry or make cooing noises.

:iagree:

My son nurses his Mickey Mouse all the time. Also, if he sees someone using a baby bottle he will ask why that baby is drinking out of a bottle?

I don't have a problem with it except the price. Why would I pay $89 for a doll that breastfeeds when I can pay $15 for a doll that, while it does not make the noises, my child would be more than content to hold up to her chest and pretend to breastfeed. I think that is probably the real reason the toy maker is having trouble getting the doll on the shelves of major retailers. It is just to expensive for a baby doll.

And, I don't think all Americans should be painted with the same brush just because Bill O'Reilly is stinking idiot. Does he have children? And if so did he spend any time around them when they were babies and toddlers?

I guess I don't understand the need for a "special" doll for little ones to breastfeed. just 'one-more-gimmick' for toy manufacturers to sell. If mine wanted to, they would. especially the youngest. (but I nursed him until he was 3 1/2.)

eta: while 3ds would play with my girls newborn baby dolls I never got rid of, he prefered to nurse his kitty. he'd even stuff it under his shirt.

Edited by gardenmom5

You mean your children all realize they're supposed to use nipples? Mine are convinced that that is what your belly button is for. I suppose gravity has taken more of a toll than I'd like to admit.

I haven't laughed so hard in a long time!!! Gravity isn't friendly to me either!

Creepy. Sorry. Next we should have - what? A hospital delivery table and fake birthing gear for little girls complete with birthing noises and fake blood! Ick. LET THEM BE LITTLE. If they know about bfing cool. Don't make a huge deal out of bfing a reg. doll. But this is pushing it on them and weird.

This is not the first time a "breast feeding doll" has been released.

Some people will find problems with it and some won't.

Buy it if you like it. Don't buy it if you don't.

No debate needed.

Yes. This is the THIRD Christmas season in a row I've seen one of these discussions. This is really nothing new.

Meandering Mom: I don't have a problem with it except the price. Why would I pay $89 for a doll that breastfeeds when I can pay $15 for a doll that, while it does not make the noises, my child would be more than content to hold up to her chest and pretend to breastfeed.

No kidding! It's just ridiculous. I've never paid that much money for any doll, though my doll-buying days are over. I will keep a lot of the dolls because maybe the granddaughter I hope to have will play with them, and I won't want to spend $500 for a doll or whatever outrageous price they will be by then!

I think that is probably the real reason the toy maker is having trouble getting the doll on the shelves of major retailers. It is just to expensive for a baby doll.

Amen.

I think it is hilarious that the business owner credits low sales to prudish and anti breast feeding feelings in America. Um, no. The doll has an $89 price tag. The folks most likely to be interested/pro breast feeding are less likley to also interested in plastic toys with sound effects. Their kids are either going to be pretending with any random doll or stuffed animal and if they do buy something expensive it is likely to be a handmade Waldorf style doll.

Warning: Mama Doll giving birth naturally :D Cord, placenta, and breastfeeding included.

Well, that's just....:001_huh:

My barbies gave birth all the time when my friends and I played with them. They never got a birthing ball....great, now they are gonna get all up in arms :glare:

Did anyone notice that the, uh, anatomical part wasn't...oriented correctly? I think that might've actually squicked me out when I was a kid.

I don't think it's creepy, just no need to spend the extra money.

:lol:

You mean your children all realize they're supposed to use nipples? Mine are convinced that that is what your belly button is for. I suppose gravity has taken more of a toll than I'd like to admit.

Warning: Mama Doll giving birth naturally :D Cord, placenta, and breastfeeding included.

I should not have clicked on that with DS next to me. He is enthralled with all things related to the human body (all science really). He watched, then the other videos popped up after it and he asked, "can we watch a real one?" "Maybe tomorrow son". :D

:)This made me giggle.

As someone in my family use to say, "Roll me up and stuff them in your bra".

She never had to worry about her nipples showing through her clothes since her nipples were rolled up and not facing out.

I think it is hilarious that the business owner credits low sales to prudish and anti breast feeding feelings in America. Um, no. The doll has an $89 price tag. The folks most likely to be interested/pro breast feeding are less likley to also interested in plastic toys with sound effects. Their kids are either going to be pretending with any random doll or stuffed animal and if they do buy something expensive it is likely to be a handmade Waldorf style doll.

Exactly!

I don't think it's creepy, just no need to spend the extra money.

I should not have clicked on that with DS next to me. He is enthralled with all things related to the human body (all science really). He watched, then the other videos popped up after it and he asked, "can we watch a real one?" "Maybe tomorrow son". :D

LOL! My older kids have al watched birthing vids with me. I had considered midwifery at one time.

No kidding! I would pay for a Waldorf doll by a WAHM that a plastic one making noises. I can't afford either, but really, the only controversy here is the price tag. My youngest son laid down with his teddy bear and told me he was going to nurse his baby to sleep...he'll be a very supportive daddy someday :)

Yep, that. My kids (including the boy) happily breastfed any doll or teddy that was to hand when they were in that stage. We don't really buy fancy stuff with sound effects, and I wouldn't spend that much on a doll even if I did like it. I mean, you pay $89 and the kid plays breastfeeding for a while. Then what? Do you have to buy another doll when your child wants to play spoon-feeding, pottying, or teaching the doll to ride a bike?